Start by marking “The Picture Frame” as Want to Read:
The Picture Frame

The Picture Frame

Classic horror from a master of the genre.
The past can be deadly.

Blake Price is the most celebrated mystery writer since Agatha Christie, but a violent tragedy has sent him and his family to a secluded cottage in the English countryside.

Trying to connect with his spirited ten-year old son and despondent wife is difficult, but Blake tries to hold the strands of his l
Published November 9th 2014 by SalGad Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Picture Frame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Picture Frame

Start your review of The Picture Frame
Thomas Strömquist
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Even if this was a giant step forward (upward?) from 2389 which I gave up on, I'm still not getting on with Mr Wright. This book had some good elements to it, but the story was far too predictable to leave much of an impression. Some really odd decisions and deductions of the main characters as well as the very odd ending (not sure how that 'trick' was supposed to work, but I'm not going back to check).

I can't help but feel that the two books I've tried would benefit from a re-write, the narrati
Marie
Cursed objects can be in the most innocent of things, but who is to say that an ordinary picture frame would be cursed? This was the second book I have read by this author and I wasn't disappointed.

A little backstory for you readers.

Blake Pierce a/k/a mystery author along with his family move out to the country to get away from the city life. Blake wants to try to spend more time with his family and wants to do some different things with his son. Blake has always been interested in finding littl
Adam Light
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was my first Iain Rob Wright read. It flowed well, and kept me interested all the way to the end, and it was a short and easy read. The story was not the most original I've ever seen, but I enjoyed it. It was a fun ride with no unnecessary filler. Aside from a few typos, it was pretty much error free, as well.
I look forward to checking out this prolific author's other works in the near future.
Kimberly
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
THE PICTURE FRAME, by Iain Rob Wright was exactly what I expected it to be--with a dash of the occult and the isolation of a small town--to complete the image. For the most part, I found this to be a "fun", if rather predictable, read. The story itself was good, well paced, and certainly set in the right environment for a horror tale.

Personally, I think that there just wasn't enough depth given to certain characters to make me "feel" for them. The book could have benefitted from a little more e
Nev Murray
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, 100-200-read
Blake Price is a famous author, in fact he is the most celebrated mystery writer since Agatha Christie. A horrific attack on his wife drives him and his family from the city to now live in a cottage in the countryside. He needs to get his priorities straight and is trying very hard to reconnect with his wife Liz and his son Ricky. When they find an old picture frame buried in the field next to their house, their horrors are really just beginning. Unbeknown to them, anyone who has their picture i ...more
 (shan) Littlebookcove
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The picture Frame For some reason I totally forgot I brought this book. And I found it on my kindle list I don't even remember buying it!Much like the plot of this book. The story creeps up on you and boom you're in the midst of the madness! Could happen to anybody really, the sort of tale of you could innocently buy or find something at a 2nd hand fair and that item could bring you a whole generation of bad luck.All in all I'm totally glad I found this book! Iain Rob wright is a fantastic weave ...more
Dawn
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Creepy story!

Loved this story!! Such a great flow I could have read it in a sitting. Truly creepy story and engaging characters kept me intrigued throughout the book. Will be reading some more by Iain Rob Wright.
The Grim Reader
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great stuff as usual

This one was a little different for Iain, but high quality as usual. A great author that never leaves you feeling unsatisfied.
Beth
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Author for this story. I thought it was pretty good.
Randee
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, kindle
I found this to be a middle of the spectrum horror story. The best thing about it was the very end...that even made me chuckle. Although that probably is more telling about my view on organized religion than anything else.
Angelnet
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-kindle
Blake is a very successful mystery writer but following an incident with a "fan" he has hidden his family away in the countryside at Poe's Place. Trying to recreate his own childhood experiences he takes his son out into the fields with a metal detector. Their subsequent find soon has deadly repercussions for all the family.

This is the first "horror" title I've read for a while and found it a little predictable at times. Maybe I've read too much Stephen King but the story seemed rushed at times
The Behrg
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rather enjoyed this book. Simple plot, simple scenario, and a quick read. There were some things that kept it from being a great novel in my mind -- it didn't go as far as I thought it could have with the concept and most of the "scares" were so telegraphed and obvious that it didn't feel like a "horror" novel. Still enjoyed some of the character development with the wife and husband's past and would recommend. Just not at the top of your to-read list.
Lynne
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
A quick and easy read with nothing too scary. In my opinion ideal for Young Adult readers who enjoy horror. The characters were a little one-dimensional and could have benefited from being further developed. Unfortunately this wasn't possible with a book of only 231 pages in length. I felt the story had what could have been a wonderfully scary setting but the creepiness I longed for didn't materialise. On the whole, enjoyable and lighthearted.
Kathy
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense
I like the concept of cursed or possessed objects and this story kept me interested throughout. There was some editing errors, and I usually only give four stars for that, but there were only a few, and I enjoyed the the story to much to care about them. I did not see the ending coming and it was a bit sad for me. Good story tho.
Lee Mountford
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fairly short novel but one with good pacing and characterisation. Nips along at a good pace and the story is enjoyable.

Recommended for people who like a spooky horror story.
Joey LaBelle
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Unique story. Book was short and sweet, like this review.
Jan
Jun 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF at p. 149. The visit to the museum felled me. "Redlake is one of the battlegrounds where the existence of this Earth will be fought. You made the unfortunate error of moving here."

This is just too much of a leap - from a cursed picture frame to the end of the world? No. Just No. Iain Rob Wright is supposed to be an accomplished horror writer. I am horrified that people think that. The horrible writing is the most horrific thing about it.

I hate every character in this book (except MAYBE Stev
Nancy Ellis
A good spooky story about an author who moves his family to a secluded cottage in the countryside. He and his son are out treasure hunting with a metal detector and dig up an old picture frame. They soon discover it is more than an interesting antique.....it is a force of ancient evil set on completing its mission.
Amanda Tee
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Irene
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Blake and his wife have had some rocky times but are doing their best to raise their young son and forget the past in a rural cottage in the country.
One day While Blake and Ricky are having some father son time together they find an old picture frame buried on the property. Ricky wants to keep it and soon has it cleaned up and looking good as new. However unfortunate incidents begin to occur immediately afterwards.
This was a short and spooky read and I would recommend it to anyone looking for
Andre
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Iain Rob Wright is good at this sort of thing. He writes a simple story based on a photo frame with mystic powers and a whole lotta evil.

It would be perfect for an episode of Supernatural; it has two brothers + supernatural object + some bad mojo + a random quirky good/bad characters + some victims + a bad problem & how to solve it = good fun!

I've given it three stars because it is a middle-of-the-road story. It is not exceptionally good, nor is it exceptionally bad. All in all, a very enjoyabl
Wheeping Angel
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ok-books
Ok the reason for the 3 stars was it was a lot of whining for the main character. But other then that the plot was good. I just kept getting annoyed with him whining about his fear and agreeing to quickly.

But the plot of a curse object was very well written with a supernatural vibe into the story. So 3 curses out of 3 because of a whiney lead character...plus sorry for a short review tired
Candice
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book had its creepy moments but other than that it was very predictable. Like a bad horror movie and you know exactly what's going to happen next. The ending very cliche. If this book had to be a movie it could have been a cross between Annabelle and The Ring, hence the flies and an object being cursed.
Robert
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Scary with a side of cute. A great little tale of terror while one family struggles to survive. The work is interspersed with a few little quirky bits which broke the tension well. This my first read from Wright and I will be reading more.
Julie
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked it! Didn't take a silly turn for an ending. I will definately be looking into more of his work.
Enid
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really very good. There were two short stories at the end by Matt Shaw that were excellent, just the type of stories that amuse me...in a horrible way...lol
Judy Stambaugh
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
loved it!

great story! a cursed picture frame is foynd. will the family survive ? how do you fight against a cursed object? no spoilers. just lnow this book is worth the read!
Alexandra
1/20/15 free for Kindle.
Kara Prem
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Amit
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
After a long time I tried Iain Rob Wright and of course he didn't disappointed me at all. Actually I should have read more of him. The Picture Frame is perfect edition for me to add in my horror book self. That book worth my time completely...

"An old picture frame finds its way into his life. A picture frame that curses anybody unlucky enough to have their picture placed inside of it."

Yeah an old picture frame which been cursed and whoever have the frame bring themselves unluck and distress. Bl
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Haunting of Hathaway House
  • The Ghost of Old Coal House
  • Baba Lenka: Pure Occult Horror
  • The Ghosts of David Brook
  • How Much 2: An Extreme Horror Novel (The Game)
  • Forest of the Damned
  • They Came with the Rain: A Horror Novel
  • Horror in the Woods
  • Allison
  • The Loon
  • The Haunting of Beacon Hill (The Beckoning Dead, #1)
  • City of Ghosts: Supernatural Horror with Scary Ghosts & Haunted Houses (Death Hunter Series Book 1)
  • How Much To..?
Iain Rob Wright is one of the UK's most successful horror and suspense writers, with novels including the critically acclaimed, THE FINAL WINTER; the disturbing bestseller, ASBO; and the wicked screamfest, THE HOUSEMATES.

His work is currently being adapted for graphic novels, audio books, and foreign audiences. He is an active member of the Horror Writer Association and a massive animal lover.

Chec