Start by marking “The Picture Frame” as Want to Read:
The Picture Frame

The Picture Frame

Classic horror from a master of the genre.
The past can be deadly.

Blake Price is the most celebrated mystery writer since Agatha Christie, but a violent tragedy has sent him and his family to a secluded cottage in the English countryside.

Trying to connect with his spirited ten-year old son and despondent wife is difficult, but Blake tries to hold the strands of his life
Published November 9th 2014 by SalGad Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Picture Frame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Picture Frame

Thomas Strömquist
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Even if this was a giant step forward (upward?) from 2389 which I gave up on, I'm still not getting on with Mr Wright. This book had some good elements to it, but the story was far too predictable to leave much of an impression. Some really odd decisions and deductions of the main characters as well as the very odd ending (not sure how that 'trick' was supposed to work, but I'm not going back to check).

I can't help but feel that the two books I've tried would benefit from a re-write, the narrati
Adam Light
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was my first Iain Rob Wright read. It flowed well, and kept me interested all the way to the end, and it was a short and easy read. The story was not the most original I've ever seen, but I enjoyed it. It was a fun ride with no unnecessary filler. Aside from a few typos, it was pretty much error free, as well.
I look forward to checking out this prolific author's other works in the near future.
Kimberly
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
THE PICTURE FRAME, by Iain Rob Wright was exactly what I expected it to be--with a dash of the occult and the isolation of a small town--to complete the image. For the most part, I found this to be a "fun", if rather predictable, read. The story itself was good, well paced, and certainly set in the right environment for a horror tale.

Personally, I think that there just wasn't enough depth given to certain characters to make me "feel" for them. The book could have benefitted from a little more e
Nev Murray
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 100-200-read, 2015
Blake Price is a famous author, in fact he is the most celebrated mystery writer since Agatha Christie. A horrific attack on his wife drives him and his family from the city to now live in a cottage in the countryside. He needs to get his priorities straight and is trying very hard to reconnect with his wife Liz and his son Ricky. When they find an old picture frame buried in the field next to their house, their horrors are really just beginning. Unbeknown to them, anyone who has their picture i ...more
 (shan) Littlebookcove
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The picture Frame For some reason I totally forgot I brought this book. And I found it on my kindle list I don't even remember buying it!Much like the plot of this book. The story creeps up on you and boom you're in the midst of the madness! Could happen to anybody really, the sort of tale of you could innocently buy or find something at a 2nd hand fair and that item could bring you a whole generation of bad luck.All in all I'm totally glad I found this book! Iain Rob wright is a fantastic weave ...more
Dawn
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Creepy story!

Loved this story!! Such a great flow I could have read it in a sitting. Truly creepy story and engaging characters kept me intrigued throughout the book. Will be reading some more by Iain Rob Wright.
Randee
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, kindle
I found this to be a middle of the spectrum horror story. The best thing about it was the very end...that even made me chuckle. Although that probably is more telling about my view on organized religion than anything else.
Angelnet
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-kindle
Blake is a very successful mystery writer but following an incident with a "fan" he has hidden his family away in the countryside at Poe's Place. Trying to recreate his own childhood experiences he takes his son out into the fields with a metal detector. Their subsequent find soon has deadly repercussions for all the family.

This is the first "horror" title I've read for a while and found it a little predictable at times. Maybe I've read too much Stephen King but the story seemed rushed at times
Lynne
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
A quick and easy read with nothing too scary. In my opinion ideal for Young Adult readers who enjoy horror. The characters were a little one-dimensional and could have benefited from being further developed. Unfortunately this wasn't possible with a book of only 231 pages in length. I felt the story had what could have been a wonderfully scary setting but the creepiness I longed for didn't materialise. On the whole, enjoyable and lighthearted.
The Behrg
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rather enjoyed this book. Simple plot, simple scenario, and a quick read. There were some things that kept it from being a great novel in my mind -- it didn't go as far as I thought it could have with the concept and most of the "scares" were so telegraphed and obvious that it didn't feel like a "horror" novel. Still enjoyed some of the character development with the wife and husband's past and would recommend. Just not at the top of your to-read list.
Joey LaBelle
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Unique story. Book was short and sweet, like this review.
Beth
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Author for this story. I thought it was pretty good.
Amanda Tee
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Candice
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book had its creepy moments but other than that it was very predictable. Like a bad horror movie and you know exactly what's going to happen next. The ending very cliche. If this book had to be a movie it could have been a cross between Annabelle and The Ring, hence the flies and an object being cursed.
Wheeping Angel
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ok-books
Ok the reason for the 3 stars was it was a lot of whining for the main character. But other then that the plot was good. I just kept getting annoyed with him whining about his fear and agreeing to quickly.

But the plot of a curse object was very well written with a supernatural vibe into the story. So 3 curses out of 3 because of a whiney lead character...plus sorry for a short review tired
Robert
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Scary with a side of cute. A great little tale of terror while one family struggles to survive. The work is interspersed with a few little quirky bits which broke the tension well. This my first read from Wright and I will be reading more.
Judy Stambaugh
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
loved it!

great story! a cursed picture frame is foynd. will the family survive ? how do you fight against a cursed object? no spoilers. just lnow this book is worth the read!
The Grim Reader
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great stuff as usual

This one was a little different for Iain, but high quality as usual. A great author that never leaves you feeling unsatisfied.
Enid
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really very good. There were two short stories at the end by Matt Shaw that were excellent, just the type of stories that amuse me...in a horrible way...lol
Julie
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked it! Didn't take a silly turn for an ending. I will definately be looking into more of his work.
Alexandra
1/20/15 free for Kindle.
Anthony Creane
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid spookiness

This is the first time I've reviewed Wright's work, but not the first time I've read him.
I like Wright's work, and I like The Picture Frame.
It has a familiar feeling, and this not a bad thing. This book has a feel of a real British horror novelist. Wright's voice is his own, the story is his own, but it reminds me of reading James Herbert, Peter James and a touch of Shaun Hutson.
The quant English country setting with a sinister past, cursed objects and a family's fight for survi
Camille
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent horror novel. Very chilling. Iain Rob Wright is wonderful at his craft. I love how much development almost every character undergoes, and the pace of the book is fluid. I finished it in about 3 hours, so it makes very good afternoon reading. Fairly short, but satisfying. I wish there was more background information on Boruta and some of the other more unsavory characters, but I can let that slide. Also, grammar was an issue. Not as bad as I've seen in some other books, but he definitel ...more
Salisa
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Classic Horror, Yes it was!

It took me reading around one third of the book to actually get into the book. That being said, I did like it when I did get into it. It took turns and decisions that kept me wanting to know if the family will survive. Who else will die?

The climax was what not what I thought it was going to be. The ending though it was Ok, I kept thinking there was going to be a second book. It did not sound to me like it was the end. Though, that could be just me.
Joe Martell
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I’ve read from this author after coming across his book, “Sea Sick” which was offered for free through Bookbub. The book was excellent so I signed up for the authors newsletter and in turn received five more of his books for free. Just finished this book in two sittings. Excellent story! Book grabs you free m page one and keeps you hooked till the end. The author tells a good story and makes the characters interesting. Try this one if you are a fan of the genre.
John
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second book I have read from this author and I definitely enjoyed it. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes supernatural themed books. This was a book I couldn't wait to see how it ended. I had three or four ideas for an ending but was pleased with the way Iain wrapped it up.
Shawn Manning
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Fair to middling

I've enjoyed some of the author's other work, but this one was just ok. Decent premise, but I found the characters a tad unlikable. Also, the dialogue could have been tightened up a bit. Some of it just didn't ring true. Not the worst thing I have read, but do know, Mr. Wright can and has done better.
Marilyn McKnight
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Picture Frame

I quite enjoyed this book, though not as much as some of his previous novels. This was a good story but too "American" in it's tone for me. I don't know if it was written for the American market but I got fed up of big bro every couple of minutes and gotten and all the other similar phrases. Other than that,a good story with an interesting end
Steve Abrams
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Haunted picture f r came keeps the thrills coming

Another Ian Rob Wright and another creepy read. I just wished it was longer to develop more about the haunted frame but I am looking forward to part two
Suzanne Foster
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
A good quick read.

I enjoyed this as I do all of Iains work but I don't think this is of the usual standard I have come to expect from him.
The storyline is good but I can't help thinking it was rushed and it could have been so much better...
  • The Claiming
  • Apparition Lake
  • Sing Me To Sleep
  • The Hauntings of Cold Creek Hollow
  • Hologram: A Haunting
  • The Children's Hour
  • Once Upon a Christmas Carol
  • The Spellbound Spirit (The Curious Collectibles #2)
  • A most haunted house
  • An Earl Like No Other
  • Witch Island
  • Haunted
  • Violet's Mail Order Husband (Montana Brides #1)
  • The Haunting of Gillespie House
  • Moorehead Manor (Moorehead Manor #1)
  • The Haunted
  • The Butcher's Boy
  • The Sorrows
Iain Rob Wright is one of the UK's most successful horror and suspense writers, with novels including the critically acclaimed, THE FINAL WINTER; the disturbing bestseller, ASBO; and the wicked screamfest, THE HOUSEMATES.

His work is currently being adapted for graphic novels, audio books, and foreign audiences. He is an active member of the Horror Writer Association and a massive animal lover.

Chec
“Ooh, that sounds great. Better than that book you wrote about those vampires chatting up a bunch of schoolgirls.” 2 likes
“We need help.” Blake shook his head in desperation. “From where?” Stevie shrugged. “Google?” 2 likes