Start by marking “I Am Yoga” as Want to Read:
I Am Yoga

I Am Yoga

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  917 Ratings  ·  196 Reviews
An eagle soaring among the clouds, a star twinkling in the night sky, a camel in the desert, or a boat sailing across the sea . . . Yoga has the power of transformation. Not only does it strengthen bodies and calm minds, but with a little imagination, it can show us that anything is possible. New York Times bestselling illustrator Peter H. Reynolds teams up with author and ...more
Published September 8th 2015 by Harry N. Abrams (first published September 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about I Am Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Yoga

Sheri
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent book on mindfulness, meditation, and relaxation for children. Yoga poses are presented in colorful drawings that will have children trying to imitate them without even realizing that they are doing yoga. Detailed instructions for each pose follow in the end pages. A nice beginner's introduction to yoga and mindfulness.
Beth
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A book that is so beautiful and calming, I'm considering buying it for myself and reading it when I'm feeling anxious.
Kathryn
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great little book! Shows how children can find peace from within via yoga -- the message is both gentle and empowering. The only trouble, IMO, is that it's a board book. The message is really more for older kids, at least preschool age, though certainly there is nothing wrong with introducing it to babies and toddlers. But, I think many children (and adults) might overlook it because it's in the "baby" section, which would be a pity. I have learned this is a series and I plan to look into the ot ...more
Caitlin Domanico
Awesome and simple

This book is simple and perfect for children. It includes great tools to strengthen the body and a child's confidence.
Brenda Kahn
Not only do I adore Peter H. Reynolds' art but any way to introduce yoga concepts/ mindfulness to young folks is a winner in my book
Huda
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: en-pic-books
How can you not adore this book, when it's on yoga AND illustrated by Reynolds !
Jodi Ottobre
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
An empowering picture book for children.
Nadine
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
#SEL #meditation #yoga sweet book about calming including yoga poses
Chelsea
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, childrens
Absolutely beautiful. Everything from the moving illustrations to the soothing words to the overall message behind each image. This is such an important book for children (and adults too!), and yet so simply done. I'm definitely going to buy this one day for my (future) kids, and other's kids as well!
Abbie
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book but not a beginner yoga book, because I bet children will try to do the poses without understanding them first. Great book for after "my daddy is a pretzel." Also great for adults- calming.
Jo
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, yoga
I love any book where Peter H. Reynolds does the illustrations. They're always so beautiful and this one is no exception. A great book for kids (and adults!) to introduce them to the calming effects of yoga.
Courtney
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
My daughter and I read this at the end of a little girl crying jag. She got into it. A perfect yogi concept book for little ones with big feelings.
Miss Ryoko
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute book. As a yoga-lover, I appreciated everything this book was conveying. The illustrations were wonderful.
KC
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
What a great book for kids and to promote yoga
Lauren Stoolfire
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent way to present yoga concepts to young readers - beautiful illustrations.
Traci
Yoga is not new although it is a hot trend right now and rightly so as we figure out the healthy benefits of practicing yoga daily.

Author Susan Verde and illustrator Peter H. Reynolds have created a calm, decisive picture book all about yoga and the peace it brings. A wonderful book to read and act out with your children. Perfect for bedtime, morning and in between to calm them and help them focus. A useful tool for ages 1-120!

Published by Abrams Books for Young Readers.

#mustread #health #calm
Kara Troglin
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful

Love the images and simplicity of the story. I really enjoyed all the different poses. Great story for children and even adults new to yoga.
Charissa Weaks
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very calming book for kiddos.
Nikiverse
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
Cute yoga book for elementary aged kids. Includes about 15 kid-friendly poses.

It was included on Amazon Prime, free (US).
kayla
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was so cute.
Steven R. McEvoy
I need to be honest and state I picked up this book for a number of reasons. First Peter H. Reynolds is an amazing illustrator and an excellent author in his own right. And second last year I became a certified DDP Yoga instructor and love practicing with my kids. And third the cover was so amazing I was literally waiting and waiting for the book to finally come out.

This book did not disappoint. In fact it was far more than I ever expected. My son has neurofibromatosis and one of the reasons I p
The Library Lady
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I love yoga--in fact I am certified to teach baby/toddler yoga--and I just used Doreen Cronin's Stretch and Eric Carle's From Head to Toe in a program where we did some yoga poses. But there's a potential for saccharine overload in yoga books, and this one accomplishes that. So while this might have its uses with young yogi, I vastly prefer Little Yoga: A Toddler's First Book of Yoga , which teaches yoga poses based on animals and has simple, child friendly illustrations. Namaste, y'all.
Noah Willis
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
I Am Yoga is a great read for students of all ages. Even though it is a short and simple picture book, it has a great message. Each page shows the girl doing a different yoga position and says how she feels when doing the yoga position. This book teaches students the importance of yoga, as well as the importance of relaxation. After reading this book, students should feel a sense of peace and relaxation. Again, this is a great book for students of all ages and is one of my favorite picture books ...more
Scottsdale Public Library
This is one of those picture books that is wonderful for more than the spectacular illustrations (done by Peter Reynolds) or the great message of self-acceptance. It' simple lines open a dialogue about emotions that is even more valuable in this day and age when even the youngest of us feels the need to manage stress and develop coping skills. I absolutely love the "Poses" index in the back. This book is great as a read aloud for parents or teachers, or as an enrichment activity and introduction ...more
Emily Henderson
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
I Am Yoga is a great read for kids. In today's society everything is always going so fast. Children in school are more stressed than ever. This is why I think this book is so great. It helps remind kids to put away the world for a minute and take time to find their center. I enjoy doing yoga, and I think that this book could easily spark a love for yoga in children too. I also loved how interactive the book could be. It included visual guides to poses for the kids to do themselves. It was a cu ...more
Ari
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty cute, and for some reason it calmed me down while I read it. I think my cousin's daughter's gonna enjoy this one.
Ameryn
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ameryn by: Pine River Library
Shelves: kids
Lucas (3) loved trying out the various poses. He was really proud and did a great job!
Julie
Dec 31, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2015-reads
Can't wait to use it with my second graders, since one of their favorite books is My Dad is a Pretzel
Ben Truong
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I Am Yoga is a children's picture book written by Susan Verde and illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds, which tells a story about the importance of Yoga and mindfulness and celebrates with vivid metaphors and beautiful illustrations.

Verde's text is rather simple, straightforward, and beautiful. It is a story about a girl that her world seemingly going out of control. So she slows down and instinctively does some Yoga poses and imagines what she becomes during those poses. I liked that there was a gu
Hannah Kalal
I am Yoga is a short story for children about finding inner strength and peace through the use of yoga. It focuses on clearing our minds and disconnecting from all of our surrounding distractions. It teaches us be still, calm, quiet, and reminds us that we have the ability to be strong, create, imagine. At the end of the book there are traditional yoga poses.

A great activity would be to sit and "center" ourselves through the use of closing eyes and deep breathing. This is a technique I often see
  • You Are a Lion! And Other Fun Yoga Poses
  • Lenny & Lucy
  • One Day, The End.: Short, Very Short, Shorter-Than-Ever Stories
  • I Got the Rhythm
  • Be a Friend
  • Have You Seen My Monster?
  • I Wish You More