Start by marking “The Order of the Trees” as Want to Read:
The Order of the Trees

The Order of the Trees

Found as a baby, on a bed of moss under an old growth tree, Cedar s beginning was a mystery. As she began her sixth grade year, Cedar resembled her namesake with her wild mane of brown hair, her sinewy body, and deer-like eyes. She makes her first true friend, a new student, Phillip, with whom she shares her special woodland spot along with the gifts it brings.

When Cedar f
Published May 15th 2015 by Green Writers Press (first published May 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Order of the Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Order of the Trees

Start your review of The Order of the Trees
Eric Andreas
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My review below includes a couple of plot points that could be considered spoilers. But if you're a parent of a middle schooler looking for a helpful review of this wonderful book, read on.

When a couple finds a baby girl abandoned in the woods at the foot of a tall cedar tree, they don't know what to make of it. Who would leave a babe in the woods? The trees know . . . but they can't say. The couple adopt the girl and name her Cedar, after the tree where she was found. They know she's special, j
Marsha Hubbell
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
After reading “The Order of the Trees” by Katy Farber, I truly believe that sometimes books find you, not just that you find them. I have no idea where I stumbled across a recommendation for this book, but I am so glad I ordered it. It’s a little book, just over 100 pages, written for grades 4-8, but it will touch the hearts of adults as well and provide a wonderful opportunity to speak with the tweens in your life. I will be gifting copies to my grandchildren.

Katy Farber is described as an aut
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Personal rating: 3.7
Cedar is a young girl who is living a very strange life. She was discovered as a baby in a forest under a tree and has grown to have the same characters as a fawn. Unfortunately in the middle of Math class, she becomes weak and feels abnormal pain throughout her body and becomes aware that the loving forest she was born in may be in danger.

The book had a cute story and likeable main characters but I had some serious problems with other characters in this short book. Why is it
Heididavisvtgmail.Com
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There is simply no greater wonder than seeing your child literally absorbed into the pages of a good book.

My son began reading this story in the car ride on the way home the day it was purchased and proceeded to devour the book in the course of one evening! He was so engrossed that he literally read the first half while still buckled into the backseat of our parked car in the driveway, came inside with a pass on dinner, and relocated to the couch to finish the story!

His words: “She has this tric
Mary
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was delighted to receive this book in the mail yesterday and couldn't wait to start reading it. It did not disappoint. The story drew me in right away and had several messages for the reader. Not only does it touch on the importance of ecology, but also on the power of friendship. I loved to see Phillip become empowered as the book progressed. It helps kids know that if they have a passion for something they can make a difference. A joy! ...more
Jessica
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
A simple, quick read (even for middle graders) with elements of Timothy Green and Katherine Applegate's Wishtree, with an environmental message. ...more
Lynne
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Katy Farber’s new book The Order of the Trees is such a lovely piece of work that it’s hard to know what aspect to sing the praises of in this short space! Farber has honed a style of writing that will totally engage upper elementary and middle schoolers, a skill no doubt fed by her years of experience with this age group. She has crafted excellent characterizations of adolescents on the cusp of self-realization.

One particularly fine example is that of Phillip, the young man who plays one of th
Anne Brock
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Book Review by my daughter, age 9

The Order of the Trees by Katy Farber is a good book to sit down and read. This story takes place at Chester School and in the forest. It is fiction with some science-based facts. The story is a middle grade novel written by a teacher.

This story is about a girl named Cedar and her friend Phillip. There is a story that Cedar was found under a small pocket of roots in the forest, when her soon-to-be parents were taking a hike and found her.

Cedar loves the forest.
LitPick Book Reviews
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cedar is not your average 6th grade girl. When she was a baby, her parents found her in the forest, bundled up at the foot of an ancient cedar tree. Cedar makes a new friend at school named Phillip, and she invites him to join her club called The Order of the Trees.

Cedar is currently the only member of the secret club. She holds her meetings in the forest where she was found. The trees are very special to her, and she finds it her duty to watch over them. When she explains to Phillip why they a
Jill
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing read!
Cedar, a young girl who was found as a baby at the base of a cedar tree is a wise and thoughtful 6th grade girl.
She is comfortable in the woods where she was found and has the self confidence to promote her environmentalist beliefs. Unfortunately, her classmates respond with ridicule rather than acceptance. She does find a friend in a boy named Phillip who she invites into her club, The Order of Trees.
When the woods are threatened by developers Cedar is physically affected
Daintry Jensen
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The reason I loved this magical book so much is because the very talented writer Katy Farber imbued such a great presence to our lovely protagonist Cedar and also to the trees and wildlife that she represents. She reminds us how inextricably tied into them we are in a very beautiful and powerful way. I love that Cedar's struggle is life and death and that she develops such a great friendship along the way to help her through it all. Farber reminds us, through Cedar's heroism, how important is is ...more
Kelly
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My children and I loved this book. The themes of loyal friendship, connection to nature, and being different/bullied appealed to all of us.
Theresa
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Fantastic YA book! Great friendship lessons and an important environmental message.
Print Teach
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely little story, sweet and innocent (unlike many middle school books) and with a subtle conservation message wound through it. The language is clear and precise, making it easy to read and easy to follow. The ending was a bit rushed, though - another couple of chapters would have been perfect. But, a nice addition to the middle school library.

** Free copy received through GoodReads giveaways **
Brooke Nadzam
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In full disclosure, Katy is a friend of mine.

The image of Cedar and Phillip standing by Stella in solidarity against a development taking out a first is a powerful one. I enjoyed the friendship of the two kids.

One aspect I appreciated was the tree imagery...Cedar was rooted...I saw what you did there!

I would have liked a bit more subtly to the themes, thus the three stars.
Valeria Tapia
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Es un libro para niños, lo sé, pero creo que el desarrollo de la historia no está muy bien logrado. No se logra alcanzar una empatía con los personajes, ni con la causa por la que luchan.
Morgan  Moore
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfectly magical explanation of our connection to the woods and the power each of us holds!
Marianne Mullen
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-young-adult
Written by a local author, fun to read about our community and the passion our students have for being socially justice minded.
Billie
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for young adults. The main character, Cedar, a baby,was found in a bed of moss under an old tree in the woods by a couple hiking. When she suddenly falls ill in school, her only friend, Phillip discovers why. Her health and the fate of the forest seem to be connected. I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways.
Tfalcone
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
a little preachy
Clare
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick and easy read, and a lovely story idea. I didn't care much for the writing itself, though. ...more
Emily Badajos
Dec 31, 2015
Bianca
May 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1)
  • Michael Crichton's Jurassic World: Jurassic Park / The Lost World
  • Too Good to Be True
  • The Haunted Vagina
  • In the Hand of the Goddess (Song of the Lioness, #2)
  • The Deep
  • 私がモテてどうすんだ 5 [Watashi ga Motete dousunda 5] (Kiss Him, Not Me!, #5)
  • 私がモテてどうすんだ 4 [Watashi ga Motete dousunda 4] (Kiss Him, Not Me!, #4)
  • 私がモテてどうすんだ 2 [Watashi ga Motete dousunda 2] (Kiss Him, Not Me!, #2)
  • 私がモテてどうすんだ 1 [Watashi ga Motete dousunda 1] (Kiss Him, Not Me!, #1)
  • 私がモテてどうすんだ 6 [Watashi ga Motete dousunda 6] (Kiss Him, Not Me!, #6)
  • The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #1)
  • 私がモテてどうすんだ 3 [Watashi ga Motete dousunda 3] (Kiss Him, Not Me!, #3)
  • Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You
  • Tiger Eyes
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Gather
  • Other Words for Home
Katy Farber is a teacher and author from the mountains of Vermont. Her first book, Why Great Teachers Quit and How We Might Stop the Exodus, was released in July by Corwin Press.  Her second book, Change the World with Service Learning:  How to Create, Lead and Assess Service Learning Projects, was released in 2011 by Rowman and Littlefield Press

Her latest book for children is Salamander Sky, a