Start by marking “Animal Rights/Human Rights: Entanglements of Oppression and Liberation” as Want to Read:
Animal Rights/Human Rights: Entanglements of Oppression and Liberation

Animal Rights/Human Rights: Entanglements of Oppression and Liberation

This accessible and cutting-edge work offers a new look at the history of western "civilization," one that brings into focus the interrelated suffering of oppressed humans and other animals. Nibert argues persuasively that throughout history the exploitation of other animals has gone hand in hand with the oppression of women, people of color, and other oppressed groups. He ...more
Published December 1st 2016 by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Rights/Human Rights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Rights/Human Rights

Start your review of Animal Rights/Human Rights: Entanglements of Oppression and Liberation
Attiya Mahmood
Jan 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is easily one of my favorite books as it was completely life altering for me. It's a tad too personal to discuss here, but I highly recommend this book. The author was also my professor three times and every course I took was enlightening. It's a quick, one sitting, read so there is no excuse to miss out on it!
Emily Christy
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was extremely educational and eye-opening, and it made quite an impact on me. I have taken three university courses from David Nibert, and found him to be a very intelligent and passionate person. His passion for human and animal rights is very clear in this book, in which he discusses the ways that the oppression of humans and animals are intertwined. The book is full of fascinating and shocking information, and is a quick and very informative read.
Michael
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best, if not the best book on animal rights I've ever read. Such an important read for anyone interested in justice, Nibert shows that the mechanisms for oppression are the same among groups whether those groups be defined by race, sex, or species.
Miroku Nemeth
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is truly one of the most comprehensive books on history and compassionate morality that I have ever read. Nibert ties the oppression of humans throughout history to the oppression of animals in a way that touches any heart that is not dead deeply. Meticulously researched and extremely well-written. It is a book that I think all of us who are hurt and angered by the smallest oppression of the weak feel that we have waited all of our lives to read.

Below are just some notes and reflections I
Wendy
Oct 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Sometimes it would be helpful for book blurbs to be more upfront about the politics inside. It isn't that I disagree with the the politics Nibert presents (or, rather, the solutions to the current problems our society faces in treating both other animals and humans); it is that I was hoping for a more unique look at the "entanglements of oppression." Although some things Nibert writes I was unfamiliar with (aka: the way specific corporations like Sears got a slap on the wrist for harming custome ...more
Tina
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book offers a new way of thinking about human-constructed culture, and has completely changed how I think about history, government, businesses, democracy, and capitalism, as well as of course human and other animals' rights. I will have to rethink what I thought I knew about many historic and recent events - I'm shocked by how I was previously misled. And I see current events through a new lens.

Parts of it are very discouraging, particularly chapter 2, which is an unrelenting and unblinki
Dana
Mar 25, 2019
Gwen Van sande
May 06, 2013

• Eternal Treblinka: Our Treatment of Animals and the Holocaust
  • Introduction to Animal Rights: Your Child or the Dog?
  • Democracy at Work: A Cure for Capitalism
  • I Find Your Lack of Faith Disturbing: Star Wars and the Triumph of Geek Culture
  • Strategic Action for Animals: A Handbook on Strategic Movement Building, Organizing, and Activism for Animal Liberation
  • Dominion: The Power of Man, the Suffering of Animals, and the Call to Mercy
  • Losing Earth: A Recent History
  • Them: Why We Hate Each Other - and How to Heal
  • Rewriting the Rules of the American Economy: An Agenda for Growth and Shared Prosperity
  • The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism
  • A Conflict of Visions: Ideological Origins of Political Struggles
  • Economix: How and Why Our Economy Works (and Doesn't Work), in Words and Pictures
  • The Wealth of Nations (Giants of Political Thought)
  • The New Right: A Journey to the Fringe of American Politics
  • Karl Marx: An Illustrated History
  • Sociology: A Down-To-Earth Approach
  • On Human Nature
  • The Utopia Experiment (Covert-One, #10)