Jump to ratings and reviews

Spooky Pookie

It’s Halloween! What will little Pookie decide to be this year? Pookie tries on costumes one by one, but somehow can’t find just the right thing. The resolution to Pookie’s dilemma will delight toddlers and their caregivers alike. Told and illustrated with Sandra Boynton’s celebrated charm and pizzazz, Spooky Pookie has all the makings of a beloved Halloween classic. Boo!

18 pages, Board Book

First published July 28, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Sandra Boynton

135 books933 followers
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bedding, stationery, paper goods, clothing, jewelry, and plush toys. —Wikipedia

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
28 (3%)
1 star
8 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 75 reviews
Profile Image for Jon Nakapalau.
4,744 reviews635 followers
October 9, 2016
Remember when choosing your Hallowween costume was such a big deal? This book will take you back to that time and make you smile.
Profile Image for Ruth Ann Lingwall.
Author 1 book21 followers
October 11, 2019
We love Sandra Boynton’s board books. But we’ve noticed some of her books are great and others just so-so. This is one is tolerable. The long list of costume possibilities is slightly tedious but the pictures are sweet. It is similar to Spot’s Halloween. Since we really love Night Night, Little Pookie, this book naturally had a little more charm for both my son and I.
Profile Image for Rachelle.
106 reviews
October 5, 2019
i enjoyed seeing pookie look at potential halloween costumes however....

pookie should have gone with the banana costume
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Samantha.
4,985 reviews59 followers
July 22, 2015
A little pig tries on costume after costume until he finds just the right Halloween disguise.

GREAT Halloween-themed read aloud for toddlers and PreK. I think this would make a nice flannelboard story too if you created a paper doll-like pig character and made a variety of costumes for him to try on.
Profile Image for Erica.
154 reviews
October 8, 2015
I haven't heard my youngest laugh this hard with a book before - her reaction was priceless and her laughter was infectious. The illustrations and silly words make this a great Halloween read aloud for toddlers.
Profile Image for Vicki.
4,492 reviews15 followers
July 8, 2015
Can't say enough on how much I love Sandra Boynton books. This is super spookie pookie-ish! Nice rhyming text and love the colors in the illustrations.
Profile Image for Sharon.
176 reviews
October 13, 2015
Sandra Boyton does it again with this rollicking rhyme about little "Pookie" and his quest to find the perfect Halloween costume. The illustrations great also.
Profile Image for Lynn Plourde.
Author 60 books139 followers
October 23, 2015
Sandra Boynton cracks me up--she does simple brilliantly! What will the pig wear for a costume for Halloween? A dragon? A banana? You'll have to read to find out . . . get ready to giggle!
Profile Image for nukie19.
533 reviews
November 9, 2015
My daughter, a big Pookie fan, loved this new addition from Boynton. Perfect for the Halloween season, or for any kids who enjoy dressing up.
Profile Image for Mama Bibliosoph.
271 reviews13 followers
October 13, 2018
I'm sad that I didn't have this book when my son Luke was struggling with wearing costumes and trick-or-treating when he was 3. It's a perfect social story for all of the above.

Pookie is an adorable little pig, who your child may already know from many other classic Boynton books (like "What's Wrong, Little Pookie?"). Pookie's mother explains that tonight is Halloween:

Tonight when it's dark
we will walk down the street.
We will visit our friends.
You can say, "Trick or Treat!"

Pookie's mom tells her son to choose a costume, but he has sensory issues and is choosy. Kids with a variety of special needs can easily relate to many of the strong feelings Pookie has about these choices. Finally, he finally settles on what he wants to be: a ghost.
---

I review books from the perspective of a parent of two children with autism. This review is part of a list of Halloween theme books that can be found on my blog: https://www.lineupthebooks.com/hallow...
1 review
October 13, 2022
Great children's book for kindergarteners. Spooky is a very cute and relatable character. The story is short. There's many fun costume changes that draw kids into looking at every page. It shows students many describing words. Children can relate to this because it shows them how to look into their feelings. Sometimes kids will say they just don't like something. Pookie says what exactly he doesn't like about the costume and why it isn't for him. In the end he finds his perfect costume. It also gets everyone in a Halloween mood. Great addition to my library and a must buy to anyone else!
Profile Image for Laura.
103 reviews1 follower
August 27, 2022
This is going to be the book that my son reads to his kids when he grows up. We started our Sandra Boynton book collection with Happy Hippy Angry Duck which my daughter loved. My son, however, needed this book read to him on a regular basis at bedtime. He even managed to basically memorize read the book back to us at a very young age. All Sandra Boynton's books are fantastic, but this one holds a special memory with my son.
Profile Image for Cara Byrne.
3,045 reviews18 followers
September 12, 2017
This is a wonderful board book about Pookie's search for the perfect halloween costume all while introducing the conventions of trick or treating to a young reader. Cute and brief.
Profile Image for Joy Keil.
577 reviews
January 5, 2018
My wee one just loves Pookie... and at almost 2, I hear about it alllll day long. I think we read this one about 4 times today, and the rest of the time it was "pookie dance!".
Displaying 1 - 30 of 75 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.