Start by marking “Juniors” as Want to Read:
Juniors

Juniors

Lea Lane has lived in between all her life.

Part Hawaiian, part Mainlander. Perpetual new girl at school. Hanging in the shadow of her actress mother’s spotlight. And now: new resident of the prominent West family’s guest cottage.

Bracing herself for the embarrassment of being her classmates’ latest charity case, Lea is surprised when she starts becoming friends with Will an
Published September 22nd 2015 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Juniors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Juniors

Monica
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5: i’m still mulling this over, but i loved the relationship ship and the general atmosphere of the story. it’s definitely a more quiet/contemplative contemporary.
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
Looking for a way to hold onto summer for just a little while longer? Juniors is the ultimate summer beach read with realistic friendships and a tropical beach setting. Also, the main character is very relatable due to her independence and very strong will, making Juniors a fun and entertaining read.

The story line of Juniors is very grounded. When reading a contemporary, I find it much more enjoyable when I can relate to the plot. Every relationship in Juniors has its ups and downs, much like re
Lizzie
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wish I had enjoyed this book more! I didn't HATE it, don't get me wrong, but I don't know if I would necessarily recommend it... as a Christian, I felt very uncomfortable with some of the content in this book; there was some mature/inappropriate content, as well as some strong swearing. Overall, it was just a lot of drama, which could be addictive at times, but overall I just felt "blehhh" while I was reading- kind of... "dirty", I guess the word would be.

I did really like the main character;
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
I got around 65% through the book before DNFing. I have a pretty good scope and idea of the book though, so I feel comfortable reviewing the title.

From my understanding this is Kaui Hart Hemmings young adult debut, and it shows. She brutally miscalculates the inner-workings of a 17 year-old's brain, actions, and thoughts, and it severely affects the novel. The characters are highly unrealistic and unlikeable in everything they do and say. I couldn't understand or connect with any of them. The st
Samantha (WLABB)
I thought this was an interesting exploration of family and friendship. I found myself more wrapped up in the friendship aspect than the family aspect. Lea was trying to navigate a new school, form new friendships, and continue an old friendship in a new context. Lea made many mistakes, because she was young, but she learned and grew, and in the end, she found people she could be real with and who were real with her.

BLOG | INSTAGRAM |TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN | FRIEND ME ON GOODREADS
Alexa
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lea Lane’s mother is a not too famous actress who lands a role on an upcoming drama series set to take place in Hawaii, which moves Lea’s to Hawaii during the middle of her junior year of high school. Lea has no problem with moving away from her friends to Hawaii. She’s been visiting Hawaii with her mother since she can remember. But it’s not until they both move out of their little house to the West’s beach house when things escalate.

When I first read about this and recognized the authors name
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review
Lea and her mother have just moved to Hawaii - where her mother is from and they have visited throughout her life. Lea is used to moving so that's not too big of a deal. What is is moving into the guest cottage of the big shot West family whom her mother is friends with. She will now be living there and going to school with the family's two kids - Whitney and Will. She is surprised when she becomes friends with them, as she is not normally the popular type. But is she changing too much t
Lisa (lifeinlit)
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Lea and her mother have upped and moved to Hawaii, which is where her mother is originally from. Moving isn’t anything new for Lea, so she’s not at all bothered by this move. What does, however, bother her is that they are residing in the Cottage of the West Family, who is an extremely wealth family friend. The Wests have two children, Whitney and Will, how are both Lea’s age. Lea, Whitney, and West get into all kinds of teenage trouble and are having a blast, but Lea soon realizes that she’s no ...more
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
As the first book I've read by Kaui, I enjoyed it quite a lot.
This story follows Lea Lane, a daughter to a single mother who is also an actress. She's moved a lot in her lifetime and her mom's career takes her back to Hawaii. The move into a guest cottage that belongs to a wealthy family, and old family ;friend.' They have two children, Will and Whitney.
We follow her as she tries to build friendships and other emotional ties with those around her. I didn't really get a good first impression of
Diane Ferbrache
Lea is the daughter of an actress filming a TV series in Hawaii. Her mother agrees to live in the guest house of one of the richest families on the island. They have a daughter Lea's age who happens to be in her class at school. Lea has a crush on Whitney's brother, and Whitney is dating Lea's best friend. Teen drama ensues.

I wanted to really like this, but it's just OK. The setting is great, and clearly the author knows Oahu. I just wanted more.
Summer
3 Stars, Completed September 23, 2015

In Juniors, Lea Lane goes through a number of changes her junior year of high school. She transfers to Punahou School, the largest independent academy in the United States and considered one of the most prestigious, and moves into a nice house owned by the prominent West family in upscale Kahala. After the move, Lea finds herself missing her rundown apartment in Oahu and her best friend, Danny, who is also part-Hawaiin like herself and seems to understand her
Claire
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Juniors is a likeable YA beach read. A typical tale of teenage friendship/relationship drama interspersed with a bit of adult relationship drama. Nothing special, but I enjoyed the use of the Hawaiian landscape in the novel. - light, easy read.
Peach
This is a bummer. I expected to rate this higher because it's Kaui Hart Hemmings and she wrote The Descendants, which I have not read but I've seen the movie – I'M THAT PERSON I'M SORRY – and it was gorgeous.

Lea and her D-List actress mother aren't new to moving. So when her mother, Ali, announces their latest move into the prominent West guesthouse, who is one of the popular families in Hawaii, Lea is appropriately scandalized. Lea and her mother will now be living in their guest cottage and
Jessie Potts
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Why you should read it: I used to live in Hawaii and really enjoyed the setting and backdrop of the story. There’s a lot of teenage angst, and this is a perfect YA for either a warm summer day or while curled up in the rain wanting to travel to the beach (in your head!). I love the relationship between Whitney and Lea. The romance between Will and Lea was … interesting, but overall, it’s a very cute light contemporary, and I will be telling some of my younger friends about Juniors!

INTERVIEW WITH
Krista Mathews
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warning: I read an Advance Reader’s Copy

What I Knew Going In: Hemmings wrote The Descendants. Which became that movie with George Clooney. And Tris, from Divergent.

What You Should Know: Lea Lane moved to Hawaii midway through her Junior year and started attended the best school in the country. Her mom’s an actress. Her dad isn’t in the picture. And she’s just trying to fit in, but Hawaii's a unique culture, even if you've visited their your whole life, and Punahou school is filled with kids who'
Keelee
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love stories set in Hawaii; I think I was born to live the island life!! This story was a light easy read and I enjoyed all of it.
Kara
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
There are no words, other than to say this book is magical. Gorgeous in its simplicity. It's about two junior girls navigating and reacting to the world around them and each other. Once again, Kaui Hart Hemmings has proven she is a master of writing characters.
Cameron Van Sant
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Jesten
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
A great lead character and good writing saved this book, but I was a little disappointed otherwise.
ALPHAreader
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Kaui Hart Hemmings’ short stories – love! So I was thrilled when she turned her pen to a young adult book – particularly because when she wrote about youth in her ‘House of Thieves’ collection, they’ve been some of my favorite stories. ‘Juniors’ is more of what marks Hemmings writing so unique and complex – Hawaii setting and concentration on social dynamics and clash of classes. It all comes together in ‘Juniors’ about a teenage girl called Lea who is part Hawaiian, part Mainlander and a ...more
ALPHAreader
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Laurel
As someone who was raised on Oahu and currently missing home like crazy, this book was a sore-needed condensed piece of home. The little acknowledgements of local life, kakamochi, crack seed, summer prep at Punahou, the Kahala houses (especially the one with the golden dolphins on the gate--yes that really exists) felt like inside peeks into local culture. But more than that, coming from Kaui Hart Hemmings, someone raised on the islands, they felt like acknowledgements of the life you live in Ha ...more
Cheyenne Teska
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, for-review, reviewed, own
Lea Lane doesn't quite fit in. She followed her actress mother to Hawaii during her junior year of high school, where everyone already knows everyone else. The only attention she seems to get is from the West family, who invite Lea and her mother to stay in their guest house during her latest project, a popular upcoming drama that the entire island seems to be buzzing about. Once she steps into this new territory, there's no going back. Over the next few months, secrets begin to unravel and surp ...more
lua
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finally found a book where the main protagonist values female friendship!
(view spoiler)
When the world tells you that a romantic relationship is the height of fulfillment, it can be diffic
Deanna (A Novel Glimpse)
I loved how Juniors started off. Lea was a normal teenager trying to figure out life. I liked her interactions with her friend, Danny.

Somewhere in the middle of the story, it lost me a bit. Lei got very immature and it was hard for me to read. A lot of it was very realistic but it still drove me nuts -- especially her "relationship" with Will. I hated how she treated her mom, too. I was frustrated an just wanted the book to end.

Then, right before the end, the story picked up and went the direct
Teresa
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Juniors by Kaui Hart Hemmings took me by surprise. At the beginning of the novel Lea, the main character, was a quiet girl who had no friends except for one boy whom she had been friends with since a young age. She spoke of how she missed her friends from San Fransisco and she spoke poorly of the popular people at her prestigious high school. When I first started the novel my impression was "Great this will just be another book where she makes friends and falls in love. Total cliche." However He ...more
Kim Trusty
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Damn I love a book about girl friendships! This excellent YA debut from the author of "The Descendants" and "The Possibilities" is about longing, belonging, becoming and the various ties that bind. Utterly enjoyable and unputdownable (inhaled 300 plus pages like a book half its size). May have a sneaky second read before I return it.
Hillary
enjoyable teen melodrama. some nice wit and decent character development.

my review lives here

Valentina
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
The thing about this book is that its so unrealistic, it doesn't talk about today's teenagers at all, it is a chick film turned into a book, exagerated X10.
What I did like about the book is that is is fum and extremely simple, but overall it us not a good book.
Joelle Sara
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I really related to Lea and her struggle to find a place to fit in
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Has to Be Love
  • The Kidney Hypothetical: Or How to Ruin Your Life in Seven Days
  • Still Waters
  • One Thing Stolen
I'm the author of The Descendants, House of Thieves, The Possibilities and Juniors, a YA novel. My next novel, How to Party with an Infant will be published August 9 2016. Visit my website:
Instagram: http://instagram.com/kauiharthemmings#
“we’ve visited a lot, but being a visitor is very different from living in Hawaii, especially when you’re going to high school.” 1 likes
“Adults appreciate the flavor of wine, its nuances and such. And we have major problems and stress.” 0 likes