Start by marking “Dorothy Must Die: Stories (Dorothy Must Die, #0.1-0.3)” as Want to Read:
Dorothy Must Die: Stories (Dorothy Must Die, #0.1-0.3)

Dorothy Must Die: Stories

(Dorothy Must Die 0.1-0.3)

An alternate cover edition for this ISBN can be found here.

Long before Amy Gumm got swept away from a Kansas trailer park…Dorothy Gale received a package on the night of her 16th birthday: a pair of red high-heeled shoes. Dear Dorothy, the note read. I thought about silver to match the ones you lost, but in the end I decided that red was more your color. I think you know w
Published March 3rd 2015 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Dorothy Must Die, please sign up.
Phylicia I tell everyone who hasn't read the Dorothy Must Die series yet. Read the "Dorothy Must Die Stories version 1" so No Place Like Oz, The Witch Must…moreI tell everyone who hasn't read the Dorothy Must Die series yet. Read the "Dorothy Must Die Stories version 1" so No Place Like Oz, The Witch Must Burn, then The Wizard Returns." then Version 2 with the Scarecrow, Tin Woodman and Lion, THEN read the ones with Amy Gumm. I read it backwards by accident. Where I read Amy Gumm's story first and then where Dorothy was good second, I thought it was weird that way, but that's just me. (less)

Mizuki
I had heard about Dorothy Must Die but haven't yet read it. As a child I had once read the translated version of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and enjoyed the amazing fantasy world author L. Frank Baum created.

In Dorothy Must Die: Stories, we have three prequels from before the events of Dorothy Must Die The characters in those novellas/prequels are originally based on/from the first two books of The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz series.

And here is my thought:

No Place Like Oz

After reuniting with her Unc
Gabry
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5!

Questo libro si divora! Ho amato molte queste prime tre novelle su Dorothy, Ozma, Glinda, Jellia, Nox, Pete ed il Mago! Mi è piaciuto vedere come Dorothy sia tornata ad Oz e sia diventata cattiva, e di come il tutto si stia svolgendo nel mondo di Oz!
Ho davvero amato tutto! Spero di poter leggere presto gli altri due libri che raccolgono le altre sei novelle.
Jamie
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Three short stories that take place leading up to the events in Dorthy Must Die. Overall I really liked them. While giving some insight into characters and situations I don't feel it spoiled anything. in fact it sometimes added more questions to my arsenal.

NO PLACE LIKE OZ

-Wow. I felt this ties in nicely to the original story. The main differences is that I felt Oz is a bit more fantastical here (flaming toast, prebuttered, cooked corn still on the stalks, etc) and that Dorothy seems a bit con
Ashley Daviau
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm always a bit wary of novellas as they're usually either a big hit or a big miss for me. I'm glad to say that these were most definitely a huge hit for me! I loved getting to see the behind the scenes/prequel stuff that I always wanted to know more about while reading the original series. Each novella showed a different character and told their story from before the original series and I just ate it up! I really enjoyed each novella and honestly have zero complaints about any of them. I loved ...more
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Filler
Not necessary to read to enjoy the series, but the stories do use characters from those books
My favorite was the first one, which was the longest, about Dorothy's return to Oz
Donita Luz
I might be a little bias.. Because I just love this series.. :)

description

There's no Place like home:

Except from what happened to Oz, I keep asking myself while reading Dorothy Must Die..

*What happened to Dorothy really?
*How did she become evil from being a nice and kind girl she was?
*How did she manage to return to Oz? and
*Why did she return at all when all she wanted to do was to go home, back from Kansas, when she was still at Oz?
*What happen to her after she returned from Kansas?

All of those question
Catherine ♡
No Place Like Oz : 4 stars
The Witch Must Burn : 3 stars
The Wizard Returns : 3 stars

The first novella definitely was my favorite, but all three of them do help a lot in helping readers understand who the characters were before Dorothy Must Die and how they became who they were.

The writing is okay in all of them - I don't think any of them really grabbed me like Dorothy Must Die did, but like I said, the first novella did appeal to me the most.
Cesar
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 emeralds.

At first when I read Dorothy Must Die, I did wonder how Dorothy came back to Oz. Since I don't own an e-reader, I was left in the dark for a while. Then when the bind up of the three prequel novellas came out, I was excited to find out more about Dorothy and the other characters.

No Place Like Oz. It was quite the ride reading from Dorothy's POV. What's even more surprising, I actually sympathized with her. I think we can all agree that we want more. And by that, I mean we want to expl
Sam! at the bookstore
Dec 16, 2016 marked it as dnf
Shelves: not-a-novel
DNF

I'm just not into it. There's too many books/novellas/whatevers for this world, and I don't even like the original series all that much.
Danielle N
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Less than impressive collection that did not quite manage to add the depth I expected. I was hoping the backstories would really enhance what has been an entertaining series, but they felt flat and lacking (although what, I cannot say). I will continue on, as I have devoted so much at this point it seems impossible not too. The one benefit is that the first novella easily solidified my disdain for Dorothy. So there is that.
Vivian Chen (Vivian's Book Pavilion)
This is post originally on Vivian's Book Pavilion

I’m finally reading this book!!!! I’ve wanted to read it after I finished The Wicked Will Rise and Yellow Brick War…and now…I finish it!!!! Congratulation to me!!! I’m now moving toward the second book of Dorothy Must Die Stories!!! By the way…huge announcement—I complete my Goodreads Reading Challenge!!!! 100 books complete!!!! Yeah!!!! More to go on now!!! Now…Dorothy Must Die Stories contains three short stories before Amy Gunn arrived Oz: N
Andrea
I rarely enjoy novellas, but this collection was really good.
Mal
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
(1) ᗰIᖇᗩᑕᒪᕮᔕ ᗩᖇᕮ ᑎOT Tᕼᕮ ᔕᗩᗰᕮ ᗩᔕ ᗰᗩGIᑕ.
The problem I always had with this author was her writing. When I read Dorothy Must Die I wanted to tear my hair out because Amy is such an awful character, and so my idea was that her writing could be better ... but that isn't it at all. It's unfortunate because her main character ruins everything, but Paige is a really, really wonderful author. She paints such vivid pictures and crafts all the silliness of Oz into her books as if the land was a natural p
Kalista
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I thought it was good but there was not that much action in it. I think if you are going to read this book read Dorothy must die before Dorothy must die stories. It will make so much more sense.
Emily
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-shelf
Second read
I loved this book a lot more than the first time around. I had a lot more appreciation for the characters and their backstories. Need to get a move on into the next story!

First read
finished this book late lat night and I have to say that I didnt enjoy it as much as I hoped I would. The only story I really loved was The Witch Must Burn and the rest were to long and a bit boring in my opinion..
Charon Lloyd-Roberts
And this book is a bind up of the most recent Dorothy Must Die novellas that take place before the events of the first book.

My rating on each novella:

No Place Like Oz: 5 stars

The Witch Must Burn: 4.5 stars

The Wizard Returns: 3 stars

Overall a good read and at least we get to witness Dorothy's road to corruption which was nice.
Drewthereader19
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this one. It was good.
Katrina Marie
This review was originally posted on Bookish Things & More Review
This is a set of stories that take place before Dorothy Must Die. I liked getting the little bits of information about some of the characters.

In No Place Like Oz we see how Dorothy comes back to Oz.  She's pretty awful in Dorothy Must Die, but she's a brat in this story.  So it's really no wonder she's ruled Oz the way she has.

In The Witch Must Burn we get to see Glinda.  She's not all sunshine and rainbows.

I didn't really car
Tiffany
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
These three novellas were all enjoyable, but the first two (No Place Like Oz and The Witch Must Burn) were definitely the best! I did not care much for the wizard's story. I really loved reading how Dorothy became so wicked! I read these after reading the first 3 novels in the series and I'm glad I did...even though you're supposed you read them before...I looked at the characters in a different and more informed way.
Jenny Clark
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tale
These were just ok, really. I did not really see any distinct voices between the two first person views of Dorothy and Jellia. The Wizard's story was probably the best written of the three. I felt no connection to any of the characters, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but that remains to be seen. It should be a decent addition/ introduction to the main series.
Travis
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review: Dorothy Must Die is one of my favorite series of all time, and I’m shocked it took me so long to get to these stories! I really loved the first 2 stories in this collection but did not care to much about the one with the wizard. If you are a fan of the series I highly recommend you reading these stories!
Rose McDaid
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
loving the series so far and the twist it has along the way...
Grace
May 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I believe that the Dorothy Must Die: Stories (Published by Harper Publishers) was a very interesting book that lived up to the word stories going into many different aspects of Dorothy, The Wizard, and one of the head helpers in the royal castles adventures. In these stories you get to experience thrilling stories of adventure and terror along with heart felt stories of the deep sorrows these characters hide. Along with that what they may or may not commit in the book. Although the fun and compl ...more
kim hannah
I think I loved Jellia's POV the best.

And Dorothy - you horrible horrible brat.
Rebecca Morales
May 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a bind up of three prequel novellas to the Dorothy Must Die series. We follow how Dorothy became so wicked.

I was not a big fan of these novellas.

I enjoyed seeing how Dorothy started to become the evil tyrant that she is now. After returning to Kansas, Dorothy felt so lost. She was just so lost and unsure about everything. While she was happy to be reunited with her aunt and uncle she just wanted to return to Oz.

Her novella was the only one I really enjoyed. It was the only story that
Kelsey Marie
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
So I believe that everyone must read the Dorothy Must Die series, and I think this one is best read after you read The Wicked Will Rise (although since Yellow Brick War is coming out in March 2016, I might change my mind, along with another Dorothy Must Die: Stories Vol. 2 coming out in February 2016).

My favorite out of all of them is No Place Like Oz. After reading two other books about how horrible Dorothy is, it was wonderful finding out how she got there. I feel horrible for Aunt Em and U
Jackie Mancini
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
After reading Dorothy Must Die, I picked up this compilation of novellas hoping the prequels would answer the numerous questions I had surrounding this story and its characters. I guess I thought these stories would explain better who was to be trusted, who I should be rooting for and why certain characters felt the need to be painfully mysterious. In these novellas however, Paige managed to raise as many questions as she answered. Despite my continued confusion/frustration, the stories did help ...more
Rachel Gunter
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dorothy Must Die stories by Danielle Paige is a bind up of the three prequel novellas to the Dorothy Must Die series. The three novellas are "No Place Like Oz", "The Witch Must Burn", and "The Wizard Returns". This series is one of my favourite YA retellings - I love it! The Dorothy Must Die Stories is a great background to the series that explains why some of the characters are involved, or explains some of the gaps that aren't explained in the two main books.

I think my favourite novella out o
Dove
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a great extension of my childhood favourite play! When I was a wee child, I was obsessed with the wizard of oz. my school had a wizard of oz play, I watched the movie, and read the original book. I was entranced in the world. I thought it was a great idea, a normal Kansas girl gets to experience magic and become something more. I also loved the lines 'follow the yellow brick road' and 'I don't think we're in Kansas anymore' So OBVIOUSLY I was over the moon happy when I found out this series ...more
Lauren
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm really glad that Danielle Paige decided to write these prequel novellas. And I'm also very glad that she decided to put them all into one book. They're all quick and easy reads, but give great background story to the events leading up to "Dorothy Must Die". I adored the first story because you get to see the decent of Dorothy into evil madness and while I loved her in the movies I cannot love her in this series. Nothing but a spoiled little brat. The other two stories are slightly lackluster ...more
Chelsea
Mar 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
No Place Like Oz: 4.5/5 stars I did not expect to love this as much as I did. I really enjoy Danielle Paige's writing. It's just the right balance between intricate and simplistic.

This story details Dorothy's descent into madness. I love these character-study type stories. What makes this story is powerful is that Dorothy started out like any other feisty heroine. I actually related to her and felt that her narrative voice reminded me of my own.

Dorothy's story resembled Once Upon A Time's Rumpl
Alexander
Congratulations to Dorothy Must Die Stories for making my Best Read 2016 book list.

If you are going to read the main Dorothy Must Die series, read the prequels they'll make the main series make even more sense and you'll feel even more connected to most of the characters.

In this review I'll be reviewing the book as a whole and each prequel in it.

Dorothy Must Die Stories:

This book consisted of the first three prequels in the Dorothy Must Die series. These prequels explained the characters Dorothy
Jocie
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
No Place Like Oz:
Presents a really interesting side to a soon to be evil Dorothy. And gives more insight into how Dorothy and friends got to be so corrupted.

The Witch Must Burn:
It was nice getting to see the beginning of Dorothy's evil rule as well as how wicked Glinda the good witch could be, all through the perspective of Jellia the head maid of the Emerald Palace.

The Wizard Returns:
We get to see more of Pete which was nice, and of course we get to see more of the Wizard. I didn't think too m
Naty
Jul 21, 2016 rated it liked it
No place like Oz - 4*
To bolo fakt super. Pekný pohľad na to ako sa Dorothy dostala k moci a aká bitch sa z nej stala.
The witch must burn - 3,5*
Jellia bola zaujímavá postava aj celá poviedka bola vskutku zaujímavá, ale miestami nudná. Čitateľ sa však aspoň niečo dozvedel o Order of the Wicked.
The wizard returns - 1,5*
Toto bolo fakt slabé a zbytočné a nudné a totálne o ničom. Hex vôbec nebol sympatický ani dobrý, je to len chamtivý idiot. Táto je fakt úplne zbytočná.
Morgan
No Place Like Oz (#0.1) -- HERE 4 stars

The Witch Must Die (#0.2) -- HERE 4 stars

The Wizard Returns (#0.3) -- HERE 1 star
Morgan F
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books, 2019
I really liked all of these stories a lot. They were really entertaining!
No Place Like Oz
The Witch Must Burn:
The Wizard Returns
Alisha
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: retellings
Ok I have had this sitting around for a while stuck on the last story. The first two were great, my favorite being Dorothy's return. The story about the Wizard though started to bore me. I figured that it was just about him redeeming himself and aligning himself against Dorothy so it took me a while to want to finish it. I have to say that I was right but not in the way that I expected and I am kicking myself for not finishing it sooner. The twist at the end is what brought my rating from 3 star ...more
Becca Thun
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads
No Place Like Oz: 5 stars, I really enjoyed watching how Dorothy became the character that she is in Dorothy Must Die. I as much if not more than actually book.
The Witch Must Burn: 5 stars, this one contains my favorite line which is "You can't choose who you are. But you can choose what you will become." I really wanted more from the story, I wish it was longer because I was really intrigued by it and I like being in Jellia's perspective.
The Wizard Returns: 3 stars, I found this one boring an
Erin Triplett
May 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
I hate that she made me love characters that I knew were going to die. And also, the story about the wizard ticked me off. His character was evolving and then in the last few paragraphs she completely negated everything.
I will never purposely read another of her books.
Kassandra
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked Danielle Paige's writing style, I can't point out what it was about her writing but it was very... Addicting and it made me want to keep reading. I enjoyed the first two stories the most and I was very intrigue with Dorothy and Jellia. The most interesting thing about these stories is you can't really trust any of the characters but it's interesting to see things unfold. But I didn't care for the wizards story aat all and foun him boring. I can not wait to read Dorothy must die an ...more
Lama Alnaama
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jessica | Bookish Serendipity
So torn on this.
Karlyn
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
TheReadandSeek
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay so I did do a review separately for each novella but I did follow along in this while listening to the audiobook. For anyone that is hesitant on picking up this novellas, I really suggest listening to them on audiobook. For first volume, each novella has a different narrator and it helped move the story along.

Also, as for the order on how to read the novellas, I have been reading the whole series by publication order. So, I read No Place like Oz first, because it was introducing on how Dor
Chelsea
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading this and I loved it. Really great to know the backstories of Dorothy Must Die .

No Place Like Oz - I really liked this one as it shows what happened to Dorothy before she came back to Oz and what happened after. It shows her transformation from a sweet little girl to the mean, selfish, power-hungry bitch that she became later. I also finally found out what had happened to Uncle Henry and Auntie Em, and true to my predictions (view spoiler)
Nathan Bohannon
I really do enjoy the Dorothy Must Die series. Although if I am being completely honest, I don't think they are the best written books. I find myself questioning certain plot points and get confused by the backtracking of the mythology of OZ. What I do enjoy about the book though is how much I have learned about the original OZ stories. Almost every single character that is an inhabitant of OZ is an original character from the OZ stories.

The first set of novellas, which I was behind on reading,
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have nothing but praise for Danielle Paige and her "Dorothy must die" series. She shows how talented she truly is by creating a new perspective on Oz and showing a more sinister view than the original . I love that she is using novellas, giving the readers more backgrounds on each of the characters and from their point of view.We learn quite a bit from this novellas about not only Dorothy's background and also whats going on in Oz. This collection features the first three novellas and I have p ...more
gem
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Argh, I was so excited when I found out that these novellas were being published in book form :)
I read and loved Dorothy Must Die last year, in fact it was in my top ten favourite books last year and I read over 100, and have recently finished The Wicked Will Rise so I was already in "I love the land of Oz" mode.
No Place Like Oz was by far my favourite of the three! Having read DMD I was fully aware that she became a meniachal despot, but having grown up reading the original story I still had th
ALL Dorothy Must ...: Dorothy Must Die Stories General Discussion 1 1 Jul 17, 2018 06:49PM
Goodreads Librari...: These need to be separated 2 65 May 06, 2015 05:44PM

• Tales of Arilland (Books of Arilland #5)
  • Dark Magic
  • Star Struck (Ladybirds, #4)
  • Never Bet the Devil Your Head
  • Tear You Apart (Beau Rivage, #2)
  • Scarlet in the Snow
  • Hollow House
  • Other Worlds
  • Forces from Beyond (Ghost Finders, #6)
  • Dreamless
  • The Bathory Curse
  • A Conversation With My Father
  • Oz, Complete Collection, Volume 1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz / The Marvelous Land of Oz / Ozma of Oz
  • Your Special Gift (Wemmicksville, #6)
  • Hilda and the Hidden People
  • Der letzte erste Song (Firsts #4)
  • The Beautiful and the Damned
  • The Pit Dragon Chronicles, Volumes 1-3: Boxed Set: Dragon's Blood, Heart's Blood, and A Sending of Dragons
Danielle lives in NY. Before turning to YA, she worked in television & was nominated for several Daytime Emmy's. Dorothy Must Die is her first novel.

Dorothy Must Die (4 books)
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1)
  • The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die, #2)
  • Yellow Brick War (Dorothy Must Die, #3)
  • The End of Oz (Dorothy Must Die, #4)