Start by marking “Things We Have in Common” as Want to Read:
Things We Have in Common

Things We Have in Common

Yasmin would give anything to have a friend… And do anything to keep them.

The first time I saw you, you were standing at the far end of the playing field. You were looking down at your brown straggly dog, your mouth going slack as your eyes clocked her. Alice Taylor.

I was no different. I’d catch myself gazing at the back of her head in class, at her thick fair hair swaying
Published May 7th 2015 by Canongate

To ask other readers questions about Things We Have in Common, please sign up.
Kelly Millspaugh The narrator is a 15 year old girl named Yasmin. She is overweight and still dealing with losing her father 5 years ago. Her mom is remarried to a guy…moreThe narrator is a 15 year old girl named Yasmin. She is overweight and still dealing with losing her father 5 years ago. Her mom is remarried to a guys she doesn't really like and she has developed overeating problems since her father's passing. She is bullied by her classmates and describes herself as having no friends. She is obsessed with one of her classmates named Alice. The book begins with her seeing a man near the school looking at Alice. She believes this man will kidnap her (Alice) one day. She thinks this because he looks at Alice the same way that she does. I don't want to give any other plot details away but that is basically the set up. (less)
Erin 15 years old

adding more detail so Goodreads will post this (eyeroll)…more
15 years old

adding more detail so Goodreads will post this (eyeroll)(less)

Start your review of Things We Have in Common
Emily May
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I do not give out 5 stars very often. To be honest, I generally consider the rating scale to be 1-4.5 and only include the 5 when a book really speaks to me, challenges me, makes me think, or does something different. Because of that, I feel like I have to justify the rating when I do give it. And that's the problem: it's hard because 5 stars is, for me, a deeply personal and emotional rating. There is no checklist of criteria that makes a 5 star book. I just loved this.

Why did I like Things We
karen
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
how to begin…..?

this is one deceptively badass YA novel.

it's like one of those neon girly drinks with, like, fruit in it and colorful sugar all around its rim that you can drink a million of really quickly and you don't feel the power of 'em until the next day, when you get slammed all at once - a little sick, a little stunned, reeling from the aftermath.

which is a wildly inappropriate comparison to draw for a YA novel, for sure, but also pretty accurate. kids, don't drink!

this goes down so sm
Meredith
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
There’s something off-putting, yet fascinating about Yasmin, the narrator of Things We Have in Common.

Yasmin is deeply disturbed. An outcast with no friends, she is often bullied about her weight and her strange and obvious obsession with Alice, the “it” girl in school. She creates a bizarre fantasy world in her mind in which she and Alice will one day be happy. She collects mementos that Alice left behind—a candy bar wrapper, old gym sock, hair tie, etc.

However, Yasmin’s loyalty towards Alice
Carol
I thoroughly enjoyed this disturbing, young adult story and atypical suspense novel. I was engrossed in the novel from beginning to end. The unreliable narrator is Yasmin, a 15-year old female. She isn’t particularly likable, yet she's sympathetic because she's a bullied and obese loner, and she copes with this by living a private, fantasy world existence. Her delusional obsession with the pretty and popular schoolmate, Alice feels creepy and sets the stage for an atmosphere of menace that conti ...more
Michelle
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fan-freaking-tastic!

This book is for all of you that enjoy obsessive stalker tales. This one is a bit more unique as the stalker is a 15 year old obese young woman who has a boatload of psychological issues. I was completely captivated by the first page and it held me captive until the last. And that ending? Wow. It's ambiguous and gave me chills down my spine. 4 stars!
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Yasmin has never really fit in, but after her father died six years ago things really went South. Now fifteen, overweight and friendless, Yasmin spends her free time merely as an observer of those around her. Specifically Alice . . . .

“Keep Calm and Carry On. Keep Calm and Carry On Loving Alice.”

That is how she notices someone else appears to be watching Alice as well – only that someone has been doing it from the woods near the s
Yasmin Doner is an overweight fifteen year old whose father is dead and mother moved on to a new marriage. She doesn't have friends and is bullied in school. She has a dietician she sees, but struggles not to gain weight. She's a loner that desperately wants to belong. Her only comfort is food and Alice. She's obsessed with Alice, always watching her.

Yasmin notices a man watching Alice too. She believes he is going to abduct Alice by the way he is watching her. She decides that is how she'll get
Blair
Review originally published at Learn This Phrase.

Have you ever read a book so hungrily, and quickly, that afterwards it feels like a hallucination, dream or nightmare? Perhaps a less melodramatic comparison would be a film: some stories make you feel more like you've spent a couple of hours watching a movie, seeing it all play out vividly right in front of you, than a few days on-and-off reading a book. I breezed through Things We Have in Common in just a few hours, during which my absorption in
Dianne
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2017
This was exactly the kind of novel I needed - a deliciously creepy and suspenseful novel with an unreliable narrator who is in equal measure deeply disturbing and sympathetic. A perfect Sunday read, couldn't put it down.
Rachel Hall
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This well-crafted and darkly humorous novel is not only supremely original, but one of the most profoundly creepy and disturbing portrayals of life as a bullied and desperately unhappy teenager, all narrated by an authentic teenage voice which at times is both discomforting yet truly fascinating.

Fifteen-year old protagonist, Yasmin Lakaris, is a grossly overweight teenager who seeks refuge from her loneliness by withdrawing into a fantasy world of her own imaginings, all accentuated by her obse
Beth

This book is the very definition of a grower, which is why I'm actually editing my review, something I try to avoid because I believe my reviews should, as far as possible, try to represent my thoughts on the book once I'd finished it, at the point of reading. But this book...damn. This book has slain me and, although it's not necessarily one of those books that you close with a 'wow,' it's haunted me consistently since I finished it. I find myself thinking about it at random times duri
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
I don't get it : I'm 99% sure that Things We Have in Common should have won me, but I can't ignore the intense boredom I'm feeling at the moment. Anyway, I'll probably come back to it someday, and will shake my head at old Anna Who DNFed It. Oh well. See you someday, Yasmin.

- DNF 35% -
Kevin
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kevin by: Liz Barnsley
Lonely and bullied, Yasmin has an obsession on another girl in her 15 year old school class. She plays a game with herself to count the seconds between looking at Amanda again. She notices everything that goes on in her life. While watching her one day at school she notices a man and his straggly dog. The man is staring at Amanda with eyes only on her. Yasmin believes by the way the man is looking at Amanda that he will try to take her. She tries to do everything she can to protect her.

This one
Bill Kupersmith
Things We Have in Common ends with a question = five one-syllable words wholly innocuous in themselves & utterly chilling in context. It was then I was aware that the truly scary books aren’t those that make us ask, “How could anyone have done that?” We ask instead, “Would I have done that?” Given the same circumstances, quite possibly. Yasmin is an obese child, bullied by her schoolmates - been there, done that, got the t-shirt (XL). Fortunately I’d not shared her bad family situation, fixated ...more
Drew
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever felt completely captivated by someone? I definitely have. I don't know what it is, but there are some people who will just snag my interest and for a little while, they are the center of my world. I think about them constantly. I've gone so far as to Facebook stalk them. I know I shouldn't, but for some reason, I get obsessed with them.

I don't know how many other people obsess over others. I feel like most people wouldn't admit it. It's embarrassing, personal, and unexplainable. Th
Liz Barnsley
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First of all I read this in one sitting pretty much so beware of picking it up in your lunch hour or you may end up getting the sack. Highly addictive – the voice of the main protagonist, Yasmin, being so deliciously delightful whilst at the same time very tragically sympathetic, will mean you just simply HAVE to get to the end of her story.

Secondly I would caution against reading too many in depth reviews of this book once they start to appear (and they will, trust me) before reading it yoursel
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yasmin is a teenager who is an outsider, even moreso now that her father is dead and her home isn't even a sanctuary. Her weight, always a struggle, has continued to increase, and she is bullied a lot at school. She plays out fantasies in her head, and saves scraps from a girl named Alice that she adores, until one day she notices a man near the school who she thinks is going to kidnap Alice. And then she thinks she'll be able to play the hero.

As I read it, I discovered a great empathy for Yasmi
Jenbebookish
Wow.

This was serious mindfuck. But in a good way. A very, very good way.

**Bigtime spoilers ahead**

Yasmin is our MC and narrator, giving it to us in second person, addressing the at that point unknown to us "you." (We figure out who she's referring to pretty quickly, tho.") We also figure out that Yasmin is a pretty sad character, friendless, overweight, picked on at school, with no sanctuary even at home. Her father died a couple years back and she now lives with her step father (who's both ins
Amy
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-arcs
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

2.5

When a blurb begins by telling me to be aware and that I won’t know what’s coming, I’m expecting it to knock me off of feet. That’s a pretty bold and lofty statement, right? To be fair I didn’t have everything completely sussed out, but by the time I was at the end of this book I was so ready to just be done reading that frankly, I didn’t care much anymore.

Initially I felt really bad for the protagonist, Yasmin. She’s a fifteen year old gir
Fiona MacDonald
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has gripped me since I started it. I loved the narrative, and the 'voices' of the 2 main characters.
Yasmin is a grossly overweight teenager who isn't understand by her mother or strange stepfather and who tries to get away from the bullies at school by retreating into her fantasy world where she and popular schoolgirl Alice are an item. One day she spots a strange man (referred from then on in the book as "you") who seems to be watching Alice through the school gates. Yazmin's worst n
F.R.
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reading ‘Things we have in Common’ I was very briefly reminded of Megan Abbott’s ‘Dare Me’. Both feature teenage girls of school-age suddenly finding themselves at the centre of a mystery, but such is the difference in tone and setting between the two books, that the recognition was a whisper rather than a tug to my synapses. As while Megan Abbott’s book is full of young, good looking, ambitious women in their own cars and wrapped up in American cool and chic, ‘Things we have in Common’ is about ...more
Giulia
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Creepy stalker man? Concerned teenager? For most of this book we are not sure who is what. I liked that. The story is narrated by the main character-fifteen year old Yasmin. It is her retelling of the time a girl from her high school went missing(a girl she happens to idolize). It is not what it seems and boy does it go in a direction that is unexpected. I don't want to give anymore details-read the book blurb -- if you like to be disturbed --read the book. Suffice to say, Tasha Kavanagh is an a ...more
Trevor
Ugh, this one wasn't meant for me at all. I found THINGS dull, not the entertaining thriller I hoped it would be. That makes me sad.

Yasmin is an overweight teen (I hate that particular "f" word), who is obsessed with Alice. I'm still not clear whether she was obsessed because she was attracted to her or because of the old guy watching her...perhaps both? I didn't absorb most of this as I found myself zoning out through certain passages. And what actually happened to Alice? The ending was defini
Book Riot Community
Yasmin is a half-Turkish girl who is wholly-outcast in her school. It’s never stated why, exactly, but as readers, we kind of figure out right away she’s strange. The book, told through a perspective that sounds like second-person, is an address to a man she sees wandering around the school and whom Yasmin is convinced is going to kidnap the prettiest girl in her class. Yasmin believes that this will allow her to be a hero, when she’s able to say that she knows where the pretty girl has gone and ...more
Jo
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fifteen year old Yasmin is obese and awkward and rather obsessed with pretty and popular classmate Alice. When she notices a man watching Alice from the woods Yasmin believes he will abduct the pretty girl and so she sets off to try and stop this from happening. This is a book about obsession, psychosis and teenage hormones. At first you sort of feel sorry for Yasmin but then as the novel progresses her behaviour and thoughts start to make you feel uncomfortable and you realise there's something ...more
Tracy Fenton
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book provoked a strange reaction when I finished it. I needed a shower.. preferably in bleach with a brillo pad as I felt soiled and dirty and totally creeped out. If you are looking for a feelgood book then this is NOT for you. It's sad, creepy, gripping, compulsive, disturbing with a huge dose of an overweight vulnerable, naive and troubled teenager with obvious mental health, abandonment and obsessive issues. If you like that type of book, you will devour this one.
Chelsea
May 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star
Not badly written or anything, but literally nothing about this book worked for me as a reader in the slightest.
Milena
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 ★

Super creepy.
Beadyjan
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There's something weird about how I came to choose this book - I read a rave review somewhere. Afterwards, thinking it over, I really thought the review had been from a trusted friend whose online bookclub I'm a member of, so I thought "well if she thinks its that good I'm sure I'll love it"

It's probably not one I'd have picked as it's more of a ya theme than I normally choose. But what I found is a very well written, complete page turner of a book.

The narrator is a real misfit, misunderstood te
Erin Dunn
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads

I won a free copy of Things We Have in Common By: Tasha Kavanagh on Goodreads in the giveaways. Thank you to Goodreads and the publisher!

Short Review Summary:
Wow, I'm still stunned by this book.

I have to be honest this is a hard review for me to write. Things We Have in Common is such a great novel, but I am finding it difficult to put how I feel about it into words. Also, I want to make sure not to give anything away.
#WhenYouWriteAReviewWhileStillStunn
Thoughts on the ending? 4 73 Oct 05, 2017 02:13PM
Shut Up & Read: June - Things We Have in Common by Tasha Kavanagh 1 16 May 22, 2017 06:43AM

• Såld
  • Malagash
  • 지쳤거나 좋아하는 게 없거나
  • R.I.P. Eliza Hart
  • We Are Unprepared
  • The Arctic Code (Dark Gravity Sequence, #1)
  • Nästan fri
  • Coffeehouse Angel
  • A Noiseless Patient Spider
  • This Is Just to Say
  • The Hollow Men
Tasha Kavanagh lives in Hertfordshire with her family and three cats. She has an MA in Creative Writing from the University of East Anglia, has worked as an editor on feature films, including 'The Talented Mr Ripley', 'Twelve Monkeys' and 'Seven Years in Tibet' and has had ten books for children published under her maiden name Tasha Pym. 'Things We Have in Common' is her first novel.