Start by marking “Braile House” as Want to Read:
Braile House

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Braile House

"A terrible curse is upon us. Ancient. Evil. And I have been a coward, like so many
before me."

An Anasazi shaman lays dying on the floor of his rough kiva. He has learned a great
secret. He now knows what the boy with no eyes sees. Trance-like, with newfound
clarity and a terrible thirst for complete knowledge, he wills himself into the kiva of
the people. This was the be
Published October 18th 2014 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Braile House, please sign up.
James Wayne King Hahaha yes we did...as insane as it sounds, especially today, we had raging bb-gun wars in the foothills east of Albuquerque. Somehow none of us were…moreHahaha yes we did...as insane as it sounds, especially today, we had raging bb-gun wars in the foothills east of Albuquerque. Somehow none of us were every hurt beyond welts and stings!(less)

Start your review of Braile House
Lisa
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing

This is a very, very good book! Fans of Stephen King and Tony Hillerman will find a lot to love about the story, with its creepy imagery, and forays into Native American mythology. The story follows a group of boys from their free and adventurous youth in 1960's Albuquerque, NM, where a childhood prank results in a horrific tragedy, to their broken down lives as adults haunted by what happened. Haunted in more ways than one. You won't want to put this book down, but you also won't want to read
Rhonda Tolley
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
First off, I won an ARC giveaway and this was better than the description could ever portray lol. Wow...this book keeps you on the edge of your seat. Very well written, with very disturbing plot. If you are a horror story book reader, then you have to read this! For it being the authors first book, there has got to be more great books to come. I usually devour books, but this one I had to take my time and savour, plus it drew me in so well that at the least little sound I heard I wanted to jump ...more
Charlene
★★★★★ 5 STARS ★★★★★

Every face is a mask.

A beautiful smile may hide an engaging secret, great joy, or perhaps, a good deal of pain. Starlit eyes may show an abundance of love, a feeling of contentment, or sadly, may be a mask that hides inner turmoil and grief. Each day we get up and try to show the world that we are well, we are happy; we have found balance in our lives. And for a time, we might succeed in this trickery, but rarely, do we fool ourselves. Somewhere hiding beneath the
J. Ewbank
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
For those of yo who like a full bodied horror story I would recommend King's "Braile House." It certainly fulfills one's imagination and then some. Enjoyed reading it and hope you do too. First there was Stephen King and no comes James Wayne King.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" and "To Whom It May Concern"
Paulette
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-read-shelf
I really enjoyed this book. I'm a sucker for the unknown, scary, and what not. This book delivered. It captured my attention right from the beginning. First I wasn't sure how it was going to end, but I liked it! I did receive this book via Goodreads and this is my honest opinion.
Richard Mohr
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I heard that Jim wrote a book I couldn't wait to start reading it. He's one of the smartest and most interesting people I've ever met and knew this would be good. What I didn't know was what a good author he really is. This book captures your attention from the first page and keeps you on the edge of your seat until the final one. It explores the innocence of youth, the daring of boys, the evil of the past and the question of a higher power. Not many books can do that while maintaining focu ...more
Yvonne Davies
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just started reading this book. And I am loving it.
keeping me on the edge my kind of book.can't wait to get home and read more
Mike Siedschlag
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I won Braile House in a first reads giveaway.

Braile House is a seriously good horror story. Author James Wayne King (interesting last name for a horror writer) created a wonderfully scary story. He intertwined several characters story lines into one epic tale of supernatural terror. Of course the story is far from a one-dimensional horror story. King weaves in just the right amount of humor, action, adventure, romance, and yes, sex, to keep the reader engaged and not just
Carol Weaver
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Kind of combination of Steven King and Dean Koontz! Could not put it down. Lots of twists and turns,. Great character development. Great description of old Albuquerque. Shamans, kivas, Anasazi culture.
Typical fears of young elementary school boys in the fifties combined with terror of old Indian legends/ fears of supernatural.
Much better than Stand by Me!
Great reading for all ages! Gave to a 45 year old woman who loved it and two sons, ages 11 and 14 are plannin
Todd Barwick
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received this in a Goodreads giveaway, and was looking forward to reading it. However, after a couple chapters, I soon found myself a little bored, and the storyline seemed to bounce around and become hard to follow. Every time a new chapter would start, It took a page to figure out which part of the story you were in. There were also quite a few typos and even wrong words. Which is something I rarely find, but it really bugs me. I think the book has a great story in it, but it just didn't kee ...more
Michael Dally
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Won this book through a goodreads giveaway.

This really is one of the best books I've read this year. The pacing was great, characters were well developed, and scenes throughout were easy to visualize due to the great descriptions. The jumping around through time and different character viewpoints all leading up to the final battle at the end was also very well done.

I highly recommend this book to anyone that loves a great horror mystery story!
Donna Zeno
Aug 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Do not waste your time with this book. Waaaaayy too long, boring, not scary in the least. Maybe if the author wouldn't have broken up the book going back and forth between several different times and people the scare factor would have been greater. This 500 page book could have been 300 pages if the author would have left out extraneous stuff, then it would have been a more concise, maybe more scary story.
Noelle Walsh
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I don't often go for horror novels, due to not being a horror lover, but I did like this one. It was well written with plenty of scare. For me it was one of those books where sometimes you want to stop but can't bring yourself to stop reading. Anyone who enjoys Stephen King will likely enjoy this book.

*won on GoodReads First Reads*
Arianna
Jan 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
[I got this book for free from a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.]

I tried to read this book, I really did.
However, after 100 pages, I still couldn't follow the story and couldn't get past the strange editing.

It might be a good book. It might not. I personally could not finish it.
Steve Mckinney
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I recieved a goodreads copy of this book.. I was unsure what to expect this was not a genre I usually read. That being said this book was terrifying (think stephen king)it was very well written and kept me jumping at every little noise I heard. I cannot wait to read other books by this author..
John
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Give this one a chance, while getting off to a slow start, Braile House is a very good story! Took me a little time to get into this one, but you will find yourself invested in the characters and story. Great villain in this one, as well!
Lauren Duff
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story was great, something I hadn't heard before which kept me reading. It did get a little long for me in places, but I generally have the attention span of toddler. The ending was not what I hoped for, but maybe there will be a sequel. Overall, I really enjoyed it.
April
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A really good book which I really enjoyed full of twists and turns
Jeanine
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Quite an extraordinary horror novel.. I hope to see more from this author.
Doris
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-have-won
I won this book on Good Reads.

A psychological frightening book. The story is told very well. Reminded me of early Stephan King. Highly recommend.
Julie Donovan
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome novel

Great story. Well rounded characters. I thoroughly recommend that you read. Had a few nightmares with this book. I was reminded of King and Koontz with this author.
Cassie Peters
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book from First Reads. I really enjoyed reading it.
Jake
Jan 04, 2016
Lena
rated it did not like it
Jun 19, 2015

• Spoiled Pink
  • Ghosts of Demons Past
  • Homesick
  • Roll Back: A Time Travel Adventure
  • Midnight Harvest (Saint-Germain, #16)
  • The Camping Trip
  • Weapon of Choice
  • The Ghost Who Said Goodbye (Myron Vale Investigations, #2)
  • Damaged Souls
  • Madeline
  • Scraping the Bone: Ten Dark Tales
  • Bayou Moon
  • A Match Made in Hell (Nicki Styx, #2)
I was born ☺, to a Hispanic mother and Anglo father in Albuquerque New Mexico. I grew up in Albuquerque when it was a smaller, more magical place. The easy mix of the Spanish, Mexican, Pueblo and Anglo cultures and peoples, made for a rich world to experience. Legends, stories and myths abounded with madmen, ghosts, shamans and spirits; all wrapped in a pervasive Catholicism. It was, and is, wonde ...more