Start by marking “ספר המכונית הגדול” as Want to Read:
ספר המכונית הגדול

ספר המכונית הגדול

Although this book was around when many of today's parents were youngsters, it has remained a steadfast must-have in every toddler's library. For starters, it's a great vocabulary guide that names the many things that go (and some that haven't a prayer of going, but are great fun to imagine anyway). It's also teeming with detail-rich scenes and characters on every page, te ...more
Published 2009 by ידיעות אחרונות (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about ספר המכונית הגדול, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ספר המכונית הגדול

Joe
Nov 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic
An entomological deconstruction of America's obsession with speed and motion. Poses the highway as a cite of disordered exchange and anxiety. The motorist is both weeping and laughing knowing disaster is inevitable. Trucks become pickles. Pickles become trucks. Hellish.
Kathleen
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't generally put children's books on Goodreads.

This is an exception because I have three boys, each eight years apart, and I have probably read this books a few hundred times, including at least once a day for the last few weeks.

It is amazing and awful at the same time. It takes forever to read because it is so involved and detailed, in addition to being 70 or so pages long. We have gone through a few copies, and my husband now refuses to read it because he says he would never bring it int
MostlyDelores
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, favorites
Read this to both kids approximately 18 million times, looking for Goldbug on every page.

Mistress Mouse and her minuscule tow truck are the unsung heroes of intricate Busytown traffic.
Audrey
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leo-books
I keep wanting to buy books as presents for toddlers I know, but then when I get to the bookstore, I draw a blank on which books have really been a hit with Leo and me. So I'm going to put a few books on a shelf here to remind myself, for when I need to buy books for kids.

I remember reading Richard Scarry to a child I babysat for in high school, but I still let this book sit on our shelf for a while unread. We discovered it a few weeks ago, and we're kind of blown away by it (well, I am.) There
Rachel
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the coolest classic storybook!! So many things are happening on each page, it truly encourages a dialogue with your little person and a keen eye to seek out that silly Goldbug hiding on each page. It took us three sittings to finish this book, but it was worth it to see if Officer Flossy ever caught up to that rascally Dingo Dog!
Dominika Mat
Bez względu na to czy jesteście fanami serialu "Tropiciele zagadek" czy też jeszcze go nie znacie, warto zaprzyjaźnić się z postaciami stworzonymi przez Richarda Scarry na potrzeby tej kreskówki. W wersji książkowej mieszkańcy Pośpiechowa przemieszczają się wszelkiej maści pojazdami i maszynami, przy czym głównymi bohaterami jest rodzinka świnek, wybierająca się na przejażdżkę.

"Auta, maszyny, pojazdy i wszystko do jazdy" to 68 stron bogato ilustrowanych przygód z motoryzacją i niezwykłymi maszy
Francis
I read this to my son almost every night. He loves finding goldbug on every page.
Hiba Yuki
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chimu-and-mommy
Haven't read the book we just flipped through it naming most of the cars. There is just so much in this book, we'll have to revisit it a couple times before we can finish the whole thing. :)
Bill
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is currently my 2-year-old son's favorite book, so I'm reading it every day. Figured I'd better mark it down here. I know he is following in good footsteps since it was also one of my favorites at his age. Goldbug is on every page and he can find him immediately. I'm very proud.
Here are some highlights:
"bug!" - any bug, not just Goldbug.
"uh-oh!" - a car is on its side, or upside down.
"oh no!" - there is a big accident.
"that car" - whatever car Goldbug is in.
"truck!" - there are a lot of tru
Bucko
Nov 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was one of the books my parents read to me and my brother when we were very young. It is interesting to see how non-linear this book is. The story is very loose, and the pages are very busy. I had a lot of fun finding Goldbug on each page. Probably the strangest thing for me was opening the book and getting a whiff of the way it smelled. It smelled the same as it did over 25 years ago. It was a surreal experience. I was looking for nostalgia and found it with this book. Good stuff.
Jenna Waldman
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is our breakfast companion book, known to my son as 'huge book'. It is a 'huge' book, filled with many illustrations of Scarry's imagined (and some real) trucks, planes, trains, and vehicles of all kinds. He loves having me read the story, looking for the hidden 'Goldbug' in each page spread, and coming up with his own names for the vehicles. Lots to look at, like most of Scarry's books, so we spend a lot of time with it. This was originally a library pick, that got renewed a few times, the ...more
Josiah
May 02, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is a delight, surprising in its level of real humor. The ambience created by the diverse cars on the highway and the scenes that they pass is something special, and I find that this Richard Scarry book holds up very nicely over time. My family and I have been determinedly searching for Goldbug in these pages from as far back as I can remember. This book is inextricably tied to a lot of good memories for me, but it stands up quite well independent of those memories, too.
Mark Matthews
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My five year old can find Gold Bug better than me, and I am assuming it is due to some sort of childhood golden innocence, and that when she gets jaded and has a few dreams crushed, the little guy will get harder and harder to see until he finally disappears on the page.

Nothing Gold Can Stay(?) I will do my best to help the golden critter of wonder stay in both of our lives.
Jan
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is no better book to read with a child than this. Lay down on your tummies and flip through the pages, looking for Goldbug and enjoying the trip along with the Pig family. It's fun to point out different things going on on the wildly busy pages! Thank heaven for Richard Scarry!
Kami Li
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it.
Kelly
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love this book!!!
ThatLeo
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[Ba]nana! Bus! Bus! Choo-choo!
Catharine B
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I spent hours reading this to my kids. In case you didn't know, gold bug is on every busy page. A wonderful book to read to a curious toddler to pre-schooler.
Jon
Feb 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Awesome people.
It was awesome when I was four and read it every single night.
Ezra
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ezra
We are always looking for Goldbug, but what is Goldbug looking for?
Katie
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrensbooks
I remembered this one from childhood, and my kid also loves it. Lots to look at and talk about on each page. And of course finding Goldbug is fun!
Mama Bibliosoph
My kids have actually been interested in the classic Richard Scarry books for years. There is so much to look at! There are always a lot of vehicles and animals and there a lot of physical humor.

Because my son Harry is now reading, his interest in Cars and Trucks and Things That Go has increased. Sight words and short sentences are well-aided by simply drawn illustrations set against a plain white background.

Kids familiar with Busytown will feel right at home in this exploration of the trucks an
Benjamin
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to love Richard Scarry books as a child. This was so long ago, I don't remember the stories or which books I read, but seeing those pictures for the first time in decades brought on a huge wave of familiarity.

That rush of not-quite-remembering is now years in the past. I've read this to my kids many, many times, and memories of their reaction to it have mostly replaced my first-hand experiences.

And they love it, too. Cars and Trucks, more than some of the other books, is great, because th
Hapsari Darmastuti
Oh My God! I stumbled upon this book on the internet today and all the memory came flooding back. This was my absolute favorite book to read when I was a child. As a picture book, this was absolutely delightful. There's just so many little details, secrets, and easter eggs packed in a 70-page picture book that I absolutely adored. I used to read it together with my brother over and over again while trying to find the golden bug. We also used to play make believe that we're actually going somewhe ...more
Liza
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hi everyone! I'm working for a Russian website dedicated to children's books and children's reading. We've been building the English version of the website and recently published an article on Cars, Trucks and Things That Go. The author talks about how he uses a book to read to his kids with a two-year age difference. Here's the link if you want to check it out: http://www.papmambook.ru/articles/3182/
And if you click on "Papmambook in English" above the article, you can see the rest of the site
Deirdre
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
Getting a present for my smol housemate's birthday, and this instantly came to mind...doesn't disappoint on re-reading. Full of exuberant, detailed drawings labelling everything from realistically rendered machinery to full-on fantasy in the form of pickle trucks and corn cars. The humour is fabulous, the dramatic changes of scene on every turn of the page are endlessly creative, and I love the continuity and drama provided by Officer Flossy, Mistress Mouse, the pig family, and Goldbug.

We'll se
Arthi
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Personally, I'm not overawed with this book, but my 2 1/2 year old is absolutely obsessed with it! And who's to argue with a toddler?
There are a gazillion creative illustrations, with equally whacky snippets to go with them. This makes for hours (yes, I said hours) of 'reading', observing new nuances every time you see a page. As for me, I'd rate anything that enamors a toddler for more than 5 minutes a solid 5 stars!
Dewi
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seri ini lucu banget. Cerita tentang berbagai jenis kendaraan yang dibingkai dalam perjalanan keluarga Babi. Ma, Pa, Penny dan Pickles pergi piknik dan menjumpai beberapa kejadian kocak nan ajaib. Kendaraan yang ditampilkan di sini cukup komplit, dan ada juga yang sifatnya fantasi. Menghibur anak batita sampai anak remaja, yang tadinya ngantuk jadi penasaran menunggu buku ini selesai dibaca.
Samir Kagadkar
We read this almost every day!
I initially thought this was too advanced for two-year-olds, but my was I wrong! Zain loves it. There’s just so much happening on every page. And there’s also Goldbug!
Spoiler alert: Officer Flossy finally catches Dingo Dog!
Lisa
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: requested, f-and-g
Surprisingly this book is too silly for us right now - as my almost-two-year old is still learning about "real" vehicles, he doesn't seem to appreciate the whimsical or unusual ones found in the book, and there's too much going on to tackle. We'll revisit.
Refrigerated truck 1 1 Jun 22, 2017 03:05AM
  • Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball
  • The Color Kittens
  • My Big Boy Potty
  • Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm
RICHARD SCARRY is one of the world's best-loved children's authors EVER! In his extraordinary career, Scarry illustrated over 150 books, many of which have never been out of print. His books have sold over 100 million copies around the world, and are currently published in over twenty languages. No other illustrator has shown such a lively interest in the words and concepts of early childhood. Ric ...more