Start by marking “Back to the Stone Age (Pellucidar, #5)” as Want to Read:
Back to the Stone Age (Pellucidar, #5)

Read Book* *Different edition

Back to the Stone Age

(Pellucidar #5)

Its rescue operation successfully concluded, the great dirigible O-220 sailed away from Pellucidar, through the polar opening and back to the surface world. But they left behind one crew member, a brave man thought to be lost forever to the terrors of the primeval land inside the Earth.

That man was Lieutenant von Horst, and these are his adventures. He wanders, friendless
Mass Market Paperback, Ace Scence Fiction Classic F-245, 221 pages
Published 1963 by Ace Books (first published September 1st 1937)

To ask other readers questions about Back to the Stone Age, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back to the Stone Age

Start your review of Back to the Stone Age (Pellucidar, #5)
Tom Cole
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book, originally called Seven Worlds to Conquer is a wonderful read. Burroughs introduces some stuff that he forgets to get back to, but it’s still a lot of fun. This takes place in Pellucidar, the center of the earth filled with prehistoric creatures, one of which is a pterodactyl-like critter that behaves like a giant tarantula hawk and paralyzes its prey for its hatchlings to eat as their first dinner. There’s a dash of romance in it, a noble mammoth, and a lot of great fights and cavema ...more
Stanley Brookoff
It still amazes me how Edgar Rice Burroughs was able to make the most fantastic plots and stories seem real while you read them. The stories absorb you. The high point in Edgar Rice Burroughs stories is his power of description. It is as if you are watching a movie while you read. BACK TO THE STONE AGE is no exception.
Chompa
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, pulp
I think Lt. von Horst might be my favorite character in all of the Pellucidar books so far. He's a German Lieutentant from the airship that Jason Gridley brought down. He was separated from the rest at the start of the 4th book and this is his story.

Von (as he's called by his dream girl La Ja) is a smart ass and always quipping, which is a huge departure from the other stoic heroes of ERB. La Ja despairs his always "laughing with words" and can't tell when he's serious or not.

A very fun read.
Jim
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jim-s
The Pelliucidar series is my favorite series written by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I used to walk to Grand Central and gather bottles along the side of the road. I would be able to collect enough bottles and turn them in for the deposit for the next book in this (and all of his series)series of books!
AndrewP
Basically a side novel to resolve the fate of one of the characters who was on the dirigible O-220. Frederich Wilhelm Eric von Mendeldorf und von Horst (thankfully shortened to 'von Horst' or just 'von' for most of the book) was lost during the previous book and this is his tale.

It's a typical pulp area story in that it's broken down into a number of short adventures with a cliff hanger at the end of each section. Von Horst pursues the native girl La-Ja and in the process is captured several tim
Neil
Jun 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not at all bad. The story of Von Horst the German who went missing from the expedition in "Tarzan at the earth's core." The plot is typical Burrough's wandering around a savage world, fighting, remarkable creatures and even more remarkable coincidences.
Although Von Horst certainly isn't as great a character as Tarzan or John Carter he's a pleasant enough hero and La-Ja makes a more than adequate heroine.
Some interesting new flora and fauna I particularly liked the Gorbuses.
Well up to the earlie
William Worsham
Lite lit at its adolescent best. The epitome of pulp fiction. Man out of his element encounters danger, befriends native, allies with native to confront danger, rinse, repeat.

Don't expect much in the way of characterization or back story beyond what was needed to tie it to other books in the series. That being said, if you don't get at least a small kick out of it, you probably don't need to be reading ERB or his pulp contemporaries to begin with.
Tim
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting adventure story. Burroughs does have a talent for creating interesting situations, even if his prose can seem rather awkward and repetitive at times. His earlier books about Pellucidar have seemed to focus more on conquering the natives, but in this one since his protagonist is entirely alone and without his gun it tends to focus more on building friendships and finding common ground.
Charles J Kilker
Back to the Stone Age

Having read some of the Pellucidar adventures previously, I knew some of the content. This was a excellent adventure story with a significant love interest thrown in. Definitely recommend it.
Bryan457
A solitary adventure of a heroic figure who is lost on pellucidar, and follows his love through many adventures.

This is the 1st Pellucidar I read. It was so good, and I liked the character so much, that I was really disappointed in the 1st two Pellucidar books.
Joshua
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"500 miles beneath the earth's crust lies a world of eternal day in which cavemen and dinosaurs roam, and terrors forgotten in the modern world still survive". Back to the stone age is set in a land called Pellucidar, where Lieutenant Wilhelm Von Horst finds himself stuck with a tribe of black warriors who don’t even speak English. Back to the stone was written in the 1940s so the language used in it is more diverse than most books but it is still very good.
Von Horst, the protagonist, is a Germa
Ron
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
First read this in my early teens and as I recall, it was one of my favorites in the Pellucidar series. I liked the fact that Burroughs was following up with secondary characters (von Horst) rather than sticking with the initial heroes of the series (David Innes, Perry, and the Tarzan cameo). I've always loved airship stories and I think ERB missed an opportunity by not doing more with the zeppelin. The more I re-read these classics the more ERB's standard formulas jump out at me--the romance, t ...more
Kenneth
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the previous Pellucidar novel by ERB, Lieutenant von Horst had been lost when the rest of his party left this land inside the hollow earth to return to the outside. This is his story and how he survived, in the best pulp story style. And he wins the love of La-ja, a girl from Sari.
Jacob Wilson
3.5 - This series is hilariously formulaic, and yet something about the world it has created keeps bringing me back to it. This entry was no different, but was bolstered by a strong protagonist and good supporting characters that made for a fun read.
Steve
Good, entertaining yarn in the Burroughs' Pellucidar series. ...more
Frank
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, pulps
Read this and the rest of the Pellucidar series in the 70s. Enjoyable!
Eric N.
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Satisfying Hollow Earth adventure. Includes mammoths,thunder lizards, and cavemen on the warpath!
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Mar 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
I probably read this originally when I was 13 or so when I read 17 Edgar Rice Burroughs bks back-to-back. Then I stopped reading his work b/c I thought it was too unsophisticated & trashy. When I 1st posted this to GoodReads I gave it a 3 star rating. Now I've reread it & I've lowered that to a 2 star rating. Despite that, I have to admit that I enjoyed reading it, I just wdn't make much of a claim for it as highly imaginative or great writing. It took me a few hrs to read & when I was younger & ...more
Phil Jones
If you have read any other book in the series then you know exactly what you will be getting.
Another entertaining story from the bowels of the earth but in common with previous books the ending is far too sudden and very hurried.
Still an enjoyable read.
ricky
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

I love the epic feel that he brought to his stories and while they may appear old hat today, they are still very good to read.
Harold
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reading!
Sohail
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Simplistic, childish and sometimes even ridiculous, this is a book recommendable only to certain audiences that prefer mindless action to meaning or literary significance.
Charles
Jul 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I have the earlier Ace edition, with a far, far superior Frazetta cover. Good solid stuff.
Nancy Laney
Jason Pearce
Jul 20, 2014
Jim Powers
Feb 02, 2020

• The Gratitude Effect: With This Rule, Bring All the Success and a Happiness You Can Handle (Inner Power)
  • The Life-Changing Power of Gratitude: 7 Simple Exercises that will Change Your Life for the Better. Includes a 3 Month Gratitude Journal. (Change your habits, change your life Book 6)
  • Ghoul
  • How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems
  • Suffer the Children
  • Greenwitch (The Dark is Rising, #3)
  • The Dunwich Horror and Others
  • Children of the Stones
  • The Reality Contagion: A Horror Story (The Shattered God Mythos)
  • Badwater: A Horror Story (The Shattered God Mythos)
  • Wolverton Station
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain
  • Darkness
  • The Grey King (The Dark is Rising, #4)
  • The Humanoids (Humanoids #1)
  • Return to the Stones
  • The Happiness Equation: Want Nothing + Do Anything = Have Everything
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.

Pellucidar (7 books)
  • At the Earth's Core
  • Pellucidar (Pellucidar, #2)
  • Tanar of Pellucidar (Pellucidar, #3)
  • Tarzan at the Earth's Core (Tarzan, #13; Pellucidar, #4)
  • Land of Terror (Pellucidar, #6)
  • Savage Pellucidar (Pellucidar, #7)