Start by marking “A Dance with Danger (Lovers and Rebels, #2; Tang Dynasty, #5)” as Want to Read:
A Dance with Danger (Lovers and Rebels, #2; Tang Dynasty, #5)

A Dance with Danger

(Tang Dynasty #5)

A promise sworn on the edge of a sword…

After a failed assassination attempt on a corrupt general, Bao Yang is a wanted man. Taking refuge with an ally, Yang accidentally compromises the man's daughter when they're discovered alone. To save her honor, he must marry the beautiful Jin-mei immediately!

In Yang's arms, Jin-mei feels alive for the first time. She's determined not
Published April 21st 2015 by Harlequin

Start your review of A Dance with Danger (Lovers and Rebels, #2; Tang Dynasty, #5)
K.J. Charles
Wildly enjoyable action-adventure romance. The smooth-talking manipulative leader of a rebellion against a warlord is forced into marriage with a magistrate's daughter to save her name, with her father intending to have her widowed by dawn. Married in name only and on the run, our heroine gets to hang on a smuggler ship, learn to fight, and help out with the rebellion, while our hero rediscovers his moral centre and what he values (lost over years of vengeance and plotting). It's gigantic fun an ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
These are so fun! China over a thousand years ago. Romance, danger, fun! There is nothing like it. I have said it before, but yes what I like the best is the fact that it is set in China. It's different. It's fresh. It's good.

In this one former rebel leader Yang is on the run. He is seen with a woman. Her dad gets mad and boom! They are married. But Jin-mei does not mind. She wants more from life, and he is hot. But then there is the whole I am on the run, I can't have a wife thing.

Sure they are
MBR
First of all, let me just appreciate the beauty that is the cover of this book. I have not come across a prettier cover in recent times and I spent quite a bit of time on gazing at the cover before and even while I was reading the story as it unfolded. Jeannie Lin is an author who has a unique voice amongst the numerous authors who write historical romances. Her books take place in China, in the Tang Dynasty period and I have loved each and every single book of hers that I have read in the serie ...more
Sophia
I love each new book this author writes in her Tang Dynasty series that just makes Ancient China and its people come to life for me. It doesn't hurt that there is mystery, adventure, passion and colorful interesting characters. In this case, there is a tie to a previous book, The Sword Dancer, that is great for fans of that story, but this one can still be read as a standalone.

The story opens with Bao Yang still on a quest for vengeance against a ruthless warlord even after Yang's assassination
Aoi
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: hf-china
I loved everything else- Tang dynasty China, adventure and a slow romance- but the hero. I get what the author was trying to do, show him through Jinmei's eyes as she gets to know this mysterious husband. But it doesn't help that the reader thinks of him as nothing better than a common smuggler for nearly half the book.

Jeannie Lin being what she is, the book is peppered with gems like-

It was madness, this fight. All wooing was in part a con game, except for this, when he was without words to
Therese Beharrie
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This was my first Jeanie Lin book and holy smokes, it will not be my last! I don't know where to start with this book. The setting? Vividly drawn, and utterly compelling. The heroine? When she's lied to by her father, she leaves her home with her new husband...the one she thought dead for the first days of their marriage. The strength she displays to do this, and then, throughout her journey, is perfect. The hero? Not traditionally likeable - he is a criminal, though for a righteous cause - yet ...more
Crisp
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had no idea there were historical romances set in China! What!? And well done, too! THANK YOU! I'm going to have to check out the other ones!
K
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was worried after Sword Dancer that I would be disappointed again but this book was delightful. The chemistry between the characters and the gorgeous scenery really drew me in.
Jamie Gentry
I'm not a romance novel kind of gal—it's just not a genre I am drawn to. I needed to read one, though, for the 2019 Book Riot Read Harder challenge (historical romance by an author of color), so I chose this one. And I was pleasantly surprised. The story was compelling, the characters were likable (although Jin-mei got a little irksome from time to time with her fretting), and I enjoyed the little dip into history and did my best not to be critical of any historically inaccurate bits (I know tha ...more
Helen
Jun 14, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars for a view into a culture and history I know very little about but which is beautifully described and vividly portrayed in this story of a marriage that one person perceives to be a shotgun wedding and the other considers a marriage of convenience but which works out quite differently for all concerned when the backdrop is a murder/assassination plot. Secrets and lies abound, but Jin-mei refuses to take what she's told at face value once she discovers how deep the deception goes. She's ...more
Mudpie
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I was intrigued to find this category romance in the historical romance genre set in ancient China! WOW! I have heard Jeannie Lin's books being described as "Panda Express" which I take it to mean cheesey Chinese style according to Western stereotypes of what's Chinese. Being Asian/ Chinese I was kind of apprehensive yet how can I not give it a go?

For once it's a historical romance set not in America or England!

Overall I liked this but I am really judging it as a category romance. It is a shorte
Debra
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historic-romance
I love Jeannie's books. Just wish she would put a pronunciation key in the back of the book for the characters names. I hate not being sure how to pronounce them.
elizabeth tobey
I don't like romances. Reading the second in a series probably wasn't my best idea. I needed to read a historical romance by an AOC for Read Harder. So I did that.

The end.
Mary
Mar 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Really 2.5. Not sure Bao Yang and Jin-mei can last if honesty has been a problem and likely will remain as one, despite declarations to the contrary. Not one of Lin's best.
Monique
This book was received free via Netgalley for an honest review. _My review is below.

I love Jeannie Lin's books, her characters, her rich depictions of historical times and places. _I was disappointed a bit in this book. _I didn't read The Sword Dancer, which I think had a lot to do with my issues. _I often got the sense that I should see something more than what I was, and I'm pretty sure that the backstory was in The Sword Dancer._

Bao Yang is a salt merchant, a salt smuggler, and utterly dedica
Sandy S
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
ABOUT THE BOOK: Release Date April 21, 2015

A promise sworn on the edge of a sword…

In Yang's arms, Jin-mei feels alive for the first time. She's determined not to lose him, even if it means joining his perilous mission… But when she realizes
Marianne Yim
Jun 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Nicole
Jeannie Lin does it again. Honestly, I was not expecting to enjoy this as much as I did.

I love reading about the Tang Dynasty. There is something about that time and the way its traditions are upheld that is so fascinating. It stills carries on to modern day. Family and honour. Gosh, I love how the author focuses on family for all her characters. The emphasis cannot be denied. The bonds of family will carry us through the toughest times.

I like that Jin Mei was someone the reader could relate to
Yvette
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jin-mei is 19 and the only daughter of the local magistrate, raised to be a proper young lady in Tang Dynasty (AD 848) China. Bao Yang has wealth and status, but as the leader of a rebellion, he is an outlaw and bent on revenge against a local warlord, General Wang. When their unplanned encounter threatens her honor, a little flirtation leads to marriage and adventure.

Jeannie Lin's historical novel is well-written, the characters have depth, the relationships are believable, and the adventure is
eyes.2c
'she was the most dangerous woman of all'

Little did Jin-Mei realize when she went for a walk in the park, leaving her elderly servant resting in the shade, that her life was about to be changed forever.
Bao Yang, a man with a price on his head and the leader of a failed attempt to assassinate and overthrow the vicious warlord General Wang Shizhen, has returned to the city of Minzhou in the province of Fujian to garner support with his powerfull ally, Magistrate Tan. The young woman in the park lo
Ellen Parker
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Betrayed on his Wedding Night
Boa Yang’s fortunes are in steep decline. Following a failed assassination attempt on a powerful Warlord, he seeks help from a fellow conspirator, Magistrate Tan.

Discovered in a compromising situation, Gin-mei is forced to marry. As the daughter of Magistrate Tan she always expected an arranged marriage and is pleased her groom is Boa Yang. She’s been captivated by the smile of her father’s business associate for years.

When Gin-mei learns her father is corrupt and he
Fedora
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was amazing. I loved Jeannie Lin's previous book in the series and was thrilled to pick up A Dance with Danger. While it stands alone well, I did also enjoy the chance to see a few earlier characters and be assured they were still continuing happily on.

A Dance with Danger is about Bao Yang, who's in the run after a failed assassination attempt on a powerful military leader. While trying to regroup, he ends up accidentally well, married.

Jin-mei's been attracted to Yang for ages but never an
Clare O'Beara
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the historical setting and strong characterisations. A well-off young lady in medieval China is accidentally compromised by standing in the shade with a man. Her father insists they marry. But treachery comes from a point where it is least expected and the new husband vanishes, believed killed.

The young wife decides to strike out alone, keeping secret that she believes her husband, a rebel, is still alive. She barters for her passage on a ship with a bolt of silk, starting travels and
Lauren Wallace
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank Jeannie Lin for providing me with an advance copy of this book!
"This isn't what you wanted, is it? Jin-mei asked yang beneath her breath"(33)
If your looking for an awesome romance story with a lot of suspense, then this is defiantly the book for you. I enjoyed the plot as I felt it had a very equal balance between the romance side of he characters relationship and the action packed plotting of the characters. It was one of those books you couldn't put down as you needed to
Kathryn
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jin-mei has grown up in a magistrate's home in 9th century China, and is expected to marry well and be a proper bride. She's known of Bao Yang since she was young, admired him from afar, and anticipates their wedding. She doesn't realize she's been deceived until she see the "ghost" of her husband days after being told he was murdered.

A Dance With Danger takes Bao Yang and his determined wife across China as they hide from the people who want him dead, while he seeks revenge for his wronged fami
Candice
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This book had everything a good Harlequin should. A bit of danger, a strapping young man, and just enough plot to make your fingers fly through the pages. I really just loved this sweet little romance. I felt it built to a practical and sexy place and i just enjoyed it. I always find it hard to write reviews about romance books because you either enjoy them or hate them and there is no inbetwee but.. I reeally really enjoyed this one. It was also nice to read a romance about to POC other than th ...more
Anthonia
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This Book is a stroke of mastery. I truly enjoyed reading it. Jeannie Lin has done it again with this new book. Loved Jin-Mei and Bao Yang in this book. Jin-Mei is a true woman and one of the rare one's that will face danger in order to the man she loves. Trying to convince Bao Yang is going to take every thing she has at her disposal to get her man. Even if they face danger, death and destruction they will face it together. The two of them will discover on this path their true feelings for one ...more
Tabby Shiflett
4.5-4.75 Stars
An alluring historical romance set during the Tang Dynasty. This is the 2nd book in a series, but the novel can be read as a stand-alone. The setting is authentic as is the developing romance. Both MCs are clever, witty, and well meaning. The supporting characters are written well and add much to the already brilliant story. The plot is exciting with lots of action mixed in with the growing romance. Perfect for historical romance fans.

Net Galley Feedback
Morwa Pal
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Joining Jin-mei and Bao Yang in the Tang Dynasty of China in AD 848 was a none-stop read for me. Author Jeannie Lin’s research into the political unrest, the daily lives of each class and her descriptive words transported me into a ghost living at their sides. My soul gasped at the danger, I wondered at the intricacies of the battle plans to overcome a cruel War Lord and sighed as Jin-mei and Yang truly fell in love. If you want to explore love in historical China this is the book for you.
Harlequin Books
"In her fifth Tang Dynasty novel, Linn brings the vibrant, violent history of medieval China to readers. She presents a vivid portrait of a sophisticated society entangled in political intrigue. Like all of her tales, this is as much a swashbuckling adventure as a romance. Readers will take pleasure in revisiting characters from The Sword Dancer while being immersed in a wild, dangerous, fast-paced read" (RT Book Reviews, 4 stars).

Miniseries: Rebels and Lovers
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 4 Mar 21, 2015 02:03PM

• The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan
  • Temporary Wife Temptation (The Heirs of Hansol, #1)
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Night Hawk
  • Prince in Leather (Hearth Motel #1)
  • Ra the Mighty: Cat Detective
  • Knight in Leather (Hearth Motel #2)
  • Unbreak My Heart (Fostering Love, #1)
  • Pack Challenge (Magnus Pack, #1)
  • Karma Girl (Bigtime, #1)
  • Heartland (True North, #7)
  • Dead to You
  • Some Boys
  • A Summer for Scandal (Arroyo Blanco, 1)
  • Viking's Pride (The Afótama Legacy #2.5)
  • Viking Flame (The Afótama Legacy #3)
  • Unwrapping Mr. Roth (Hearth Motel #1.5)
  • Beast (Norseton Wolves #1)
USA TODAY Bestselling author Jeannie Lin grew up fascinated with stories of Western epic fantasy and Eastern martial arts adventures. When her best friend introduced her to romance novels in middle school, the stage was set. Jeannie started writing her first romance while working as a high school science teacher in South Central Los Angeles. After four years of trying to break into publishing with ...more

Tang Dynasty (5 books)
  • Butterfly Swords (Tang Dynasty, #1)
  • The Dragon and the Pearl (Tang Dynasty, #2)
  • My Fair Concubine (Tang Dynasty, #3)
  • The Sword Dancer (Lovers and Rebels, #1; Tang Dynasty, #4)