Start by marking “Dragon of the Stars” as Want to Read:
Dragon of the Stars

Dragon of the Stars

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The ship of legends…
The future is set for Lt. Commander Aden Pendar, son of a Hyrathian Duke. Poised to secure his own command and marriage to the queen’s daughter, he’ll stop at nothing to achieve his goals.
Published April 7th 2015 by Dancing Lemur Press L.L.C.

To ask other readers questions about Dragon of the Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon of the Stars

edifanob
Shelves: my-books, 2015-reads
UPDATE 2015-03-01: My Full review

Review

Clarification
How can I write and present a review of a book which will be released on 7th of April 2015?
Because publisher Dancing Lemur Press LLC sent me an unproofed review copy of Dragon of the Stars (7th April 2015) [Kindle ASIN: B00S0DPUYU] by Alex J. Cavanaugh.
The review copy I read for this review stands for 271 pages divided into fifteen consecutive numbered chapters. Of course I tried to avoid spoilers and of course I will not answer the question
Wh
Bob Milne
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: space-opera
Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this title from the publisher in exchange for review consideration. While I make every attempt to avoid spoilers, please be aware that an ARC synopsis, press release, or review request may disclose details that are not revealed in the published cover blurb.

Representing a significant shift in both focus and feel, Dragon of the Stars largely eschews the pulp adventure of Alex J. Cavanaugh's Cassastar saga, opting instead for a more mature sort of morality tale. It'
Christine Rains
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For Lt. Commander Aden Pendar, every step of his future has been planned. He'll become a captain, marry the queen's daughter, and then eventually take over his father's business. Determined and confident, he will not be deterred until the Alliance declares war on his world. Only one thing can save his home: the Dragon. It is the most powerful ship ever created, but lost amongst the stars. Aden must find the Dragon to save his people, but will this dangerous mission be his last?

An incredible tale
Charity Bradford
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
If you know me, you know I've loved all of Alex's books. This one was no different. It's still got his easy to read style, likable and realistic characters, conflict on the personal and galactic scale and amazing world building that is easy to fall into. I love that Alex writes complex stories that don't feel complex until you take a step back and really look at it.

That's talent! I mean, there is amazing technology laced throughout this book, but you never feel bogged down by it. Alex also prese
Wendy
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Wendy by: Goodreads Giveaways
"Dragon of the Stars" which I won through Goodreads Giveaways is a compelling and gripping scify novel from the pen of Alex J. Cavanaugh that begins on the planet of Hyrath where Lt. Commander Alen Pendar, the son of a duke is attending the Summer Solstice. He has his life all mapped out- to take command of his own spaceship and marry the queen's youngest daughter- only to have destiny intervene. When the Alliance denies not only his planet's claim to the resource rich planet Kavil, but also th ...more
Randy
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lt, Commander Aden Pendar thought his whole future was laid out. As First Officer of the Hyrathian warship Ryzell and the son of a Duke, expected his coming evaluation would earn him a Captain's rank and his own ship. The plan then was to ask the Queen for her daughter's hand in marriage, securing his rise in power.

Two things waylaid those plans.

The alliance declared war against Hyrathia over their claim to the planet Kavil and his captain told him, while technically proficient at command, he wa
Medeia Sharif
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lt. Commander Aden Pendar, full of ambition, is about to marry the queen’s daughter, but then war strikes…just when he had so much going for him. He has to find the Dragon, a powerful ship that was lost in space, because it can be the salvation of his people. Can he and his crew find this mysterious ship?

I’m not a big sci-fi reader, but Alex's series and sci-fi books have been amazing. Each book was better than the last, with this one being my favorite. There’s plenty of action, character devel
J. Dorner
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sci-fi fans
"Doesn't matter the ship, Son. It's her captain and crew that make the vessel."
I knew as soon as I read Fyall saying that line that this book was going to drop an unexpected twist. I was right! Excellent ending.

This is a classic sci-fi story. It reminded me of a cross between Star Trek (the characters, dialog, and setting) and the Stargate Atlantis Wraith ships (one of the technologies).

I won a copy of this book thanks to an IWSG contest.

The writing is exceptional. I'd like to get to know Ade
Toi Thomas
Every time I read one of Cavanaugh’s books, I kick myself for waiting so long to read it. This isn’t just another space opera; this is an amazing space opera by an author who’s known for adding layers you wouldn’t expect in such a story.

While I will always love the Cassa Series, Dragon of the Stars blew me away. I almost want to write fan fiction about this story. I’m actually sad that this is a stand-alone, but I get why it might be difficult to continue the story.

When I first started reading
Donna Weaver
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WHAT IT'S ABOUT
The ship of legends…

But when the Alliance denies Hyrath’s claim on the planet of Kavil and declares war on their world, Aden finds his plans in disarray. Entrenched in battle and told he won’t make captain, Aden’s world begins to collapse. How will he salvage his career and future during Hyrath’s
Per Gunnar
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Alex J. Cavanugh’s science fiction books have always been a bit “different” than the standard science fiction fare in that he tends to mix biology and technology rather liberally. In his Cassastar series for instance the pilots are people with a skill that enabled them to teleport their ship through space. In this book animals are providing energy and powering starship in symbiosis with the Hyraths.

As you might suspect this is not a book for the die hard science lovers. The concepts are fairly w
Beverly McClure
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Do you like space ships and dragons? How about war and danger and an ambitious lieutenant commander who wants a ship of his own? If you enjoy stories with all of these, then take a look at Author Alex J. Cavanaugh’s latest novel, DRAGON OF THE STARS. I think you’ll be happy you did.

Now, space stories are not what I normally read, but this one intrigued me. First of all, it has dragons. Yes, Lieutenant Commander Aden Pendar’s mother raises pet dragons. I would have liked to see more of the lady a
Matt Ely
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
original review @ JC's Book Haven.

Hyrath's strongest ship, now missing for twenty years, entered his mind. The weapons she possessed, unique and unreplicated in any ship since, were legendary.
Shame the real Dragon never had a chance to earn her colors, he thought.

The Good

I took my time and with Dragon of the Stars as I didn't want to miss too much on the first read through. The universe was really well done for what was there. I loved Aden as the hero of the story. He wasn't perfect and had plen
Sherry Ellis
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lt. Commander Aden Pender, has ambitions for becoming a captain of his own space ship, and marrying the Queen's daughter. Those plans are thwarted when war is declared against his people. Their only salvation would be to find a ship, the Dragon, which had been lost for twenty years. Pender is given the responsibility of taking a hand-picked crew and finding the Dragon.

The action in this book is very good, but what makes it even more interesting, is the growth of Aden Pender. He starts off as a b
Nicole
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced reading copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

First off, I wish there was a way for me to give this four and a half stars!

Dragon of the Stars was my introduction to the science fiction genre. In this story, Aden Pendar is eagerly awaiting his promotion to captain which he believes will finally given his the acceptance from his father that he has striven for his entire life, as well as his own ship and a beautiful young princess to marry. Before he can get his
Susan Gourley
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dragon of the Stars is a gripping, edge of your seat space opera in the best traditions of the genre. In a unique world, high stakes diplomacy fails and war shatters an interplanetary alliance. Aden Pendar's carefully laid plans for his military future crumble unless he succeeds at a desperate venture to recover a legendary warship. Pendar's journey forces him to face his weaknesses and rethink everything he believes about honor, humanity and the sanctity of all life.
Though not a long book, the
Hart Johnson
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this space jaunt. The characters were well thought out with complete arcs and Pendar had some very tough choices to make. I particularly loved Tamlin—his weapons leftenent (though I may have that title wrong)--she is his hard working and talented wingman with a gift for sincerity that makes her both a bit awkward and very endearing. I liked the moral dilemma at the core of this story and the character growth shown by Pendar, who is initially so focused on his career that he fails to qu ...more
Jo Wake
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was already familiar with this author's work so was expecting a good story and that is exactly what I got. There is a bit of a lack of scientific details but then some authors put so much of those in, it becomes boring. The novel classifies as space opera and is very enjoyable with a very surprising ending. I was supposed to be reading it to spot typos and after the first couple of pages I got too engrossed to see them - I still found a few, there sure weren't many which is always great. I hig ...more
Corey O'reilly
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won this book through a Goodreads Giveaway. The book was overall very good with a story that I was eager to see played out. Sometimes, especially early on in the book, there was a lack of details. On one hand, it seems to fit with the personality of the protagonist and allow the reader to just focus on the story without getting bogged down on things unnecessary, but it also did cause parts of the story to seem meaningless and turned what was apparently epic battles into just a few paragraphs. ...more
Tyrean
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent world-building combines with intense character development and an action-packed plot to draw in the reader. Aden is arrogant and determined to gain the highest political advantage for his family, but a war throws everything into chaos. In that chaos, Aden discovers that he wasn't really reaching far enough for success that really matters.
With the added bonus of a gut-wrenching plot twist, Dragon of the Stars is sure to become a book that will be read, loved, and read again.
Sandra Cox
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed Dragon of the Stars. The main character had his flaws and I wasn't sure how I felt about him at the beginning of the book but Mr. Cavanaugh developed him nicely. The book was full of surprises and the end was something I didn't see coming. I'd recommend this book to any sci-fi fans. Kudos to the author.
Heather M. Gardner
This book is excellent.
You don't need to understand science or space stuff or sci-fi to enjoy this tale.
The main character is SO interesting and his exciting mission with his crew to save ... everyone ... was so much fun to read.
You won't be disappointed in this wonderful adventure.
This author gets better with each book he writes.
Conal
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
The was a enjoyable sci-fi read that took some time to get going but has a really good finish. I enjoyed the characters once I determined the direction the story was going in and they came to life in an action packed finish. Looking forward to reading more in this series.

4 Stars for a fun read.
Donna Foster
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
A futuristic quest in search of a war-ending weapon-----What a truly exciting sci-fi story!
Kelvin Clements
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a_cavanaugh
This was a nice read add I hope there is a follow up book(s), it put me in mind of the Anne McCaffrey series "the ship that ..." of books.
Sweetpea
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from the GoodReads First Reads program in exchange for an honest review. Well-paced, interesting story, overall great read. Would recommend to fans of this genre.
Deborah
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very cool story. I enjoyed seeing Aden's progression. Great action and a twist you certainly don't see coming. I feel like this would be a cool story to expand on (nudge nudge).
InD'tale Magazine
Alex J Cavanaugh has written one of those rare books that one simply cannot put down.

Read full review in the 2017 December issue of InD'tale Magazine.
M.L.
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that cut too many corners, as if written in a hurry. The plot isn't bad, and if written by an author that actually took the time, it would have been a good sci-fi novel. Unfortunately, this book's meat is too barebones and there's hardly any context to engage the reader into this original sci-fi setting.
Jferris33
Mar 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Particle Horizon
  • Seed of Evil: An Ancient Evil Rises (Saga of Evil, #1)
  • Katya's War (Russalka Chronicles, #2)
  • The Admiral
  • The Girl in the Mirror
  • Velvak's Victory (Bradapol, #1)
  • The Hunt
  • The Ghosts of Aquinnah
  • The Fight for Immortality (The Fight for Immortality, #1-2)
  • Tracer (Outer Earth #1)
  • The IX  (The IX #1)
  • The Backworlds (The Backworlds, #1)
  • The Golden Crystal
  • Outriders (Outriders, #1)
  • Reader (Daughter of Time, #1)
  • A Different Alchemy  (The Great De-evolution)
  • Dog Aliens 1: Raffle's Name (Dog Aliens #1)
  • Casualties of War (Virtues of War #2)
I'm a science fiction writer on a journey of discovery...
I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree and work in web design, graphics and technical editing. I'm also the guitarist in a Christian rock band. A fan of all things science fiction, my interests range from books and movies to music and games. Online I'm the Ninja Captain and founder of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group. I'm the author of the
More about Alex J. Cavanaugh