Start by marking “Diary of a Teenage Taxidermist” as Want to Read:
Diary of a Teenage Taxidermist

Diary of a Teenage Taxidermist

--- Too cool for school. ---

Ethan is a levelheaded, some might say ‘antisocial’, young artist-entrepreneur with a love for quirky taxidermy. He is close to graduating high school and at a crossroads. All he wants is to develop his business further, yet all his parents want is for him to go to law school. That is more than enough problems for Ethan, so any kind of love life
Published November 1st 2014 by Acerbi&Villani ltd. (first published October 31st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Diary of a Teenage Taxidermist, please sign up.
K.A. Merikan Hey! We're working on it... There's just a bit of a backlog on paperbacks.

Cheers,
Kat

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.25~

I almost DNF this book. Because.

Ethan is into taxidermy, and I kept wondering if the animals were killed or just found dead? It was sort of disturbing, but his art sounded cool. So I was totes conflicted.

Also.

Loss of an eye, memory lapses, and headaches: These are not minor problems.

Maybe if Robert hadn't been directly responsible for Ethan's "accident"? While I like the idea of a non-perfect MC, I thought Ethan's disability became almost a non-issue, and yet it was. A. Big. Fucking. De
☆ Todd
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boy-babble, jocks
~
Okay, I'll confess. I would have *never* read this book without first receiving recommendations from a few friends. Why?

1.) Sorry, but taxidermy is NOT SEXY. It's slicing the skin off of a dead animal, (mostly rats in this book, so even more ick factor) then sewing that skin onto a plastic form. Weird and creepy as crap, if you ask me.

2.) Other reviews told me that a main plot line of the book is that MC#1, Ethan, falls face-first on a big, sharp, pointy stick, which goes straight through his
Verity
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know how I always say you should never judge an MM book by it's cover? Well this one is pretty gorgeous, but you certainly shouldn't judge it by the book description.

[image error] photo img_2327bsmall1_zps2vnmkil0.jpg

There is nothing about taxidermy that doesn't eek me out and I was weary to give this one a go but I'm so happy I did! This is one quirky read and I was really in the mood for something weird and wonderful.
I'll start with the taxidermy issue- because it's presented as a form of art I really didn't mind it, actually
Ele

*Updated for Gay Book Reviews. *

*4.5 stars*

This is a Young Adult story, Merikan style. Naturally, there is eye loss, dead rats and blackmailing.

Ethan is the school's goth weirdo. He is an introvert, gets bullied pretty often but most times he doesn't let it get to him. He's also a taxidermist. Despite his parents' insistence that he becomes a lawyer, Ethan dreams of starting his own business.

Rob is the school's jock. He's gay and has empraced his sexuality, but waits until high school is over be
Breann
4.5 hearts

Young love. Irrational, all consuming, young love.

I'm all about sweet and adorable and cute. Those are pretty much my favorite adjectives and if I use them to describe a YA story then it's a fair bet that I loved it. So here I go...

THIS WAS SO SWEET AND ADORABLE AND CUTE!

Loved it.

Ethan. He was described by Rob as "Strange but hot. Like a male, grownup version of Wednesday Addams." <- totally Ethan. But so much more. He had this attitude. An attitude that got him into all kinds of tr
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Want to read because - DUH . . .

Houston commercial photography

* A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Stars

For those who might balk at the title, don't. This was quite the gem in not only being a very touching love story but also a very hot one at that.

There's a horrible tragedy that happens in the first chapter of the book that pretty much shocked me into a bout of extreme anxiety. I typically try to avoid that type of angst and was not expecting it.

However it is that very tragedy that brings Ethan and Robert together, because otherwise they never would have interacted beyond the superfici
Dee
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 quirky stars

Firstly, I've purposely (I hope) changed my review to be on the green cartoony cover edition because unlike the majority I like it and actually think it suits the book way more with the offbeat kooky vibe.

Secondly, there's the obvious WTF moments in the story but remember - TEENAGE BOYS. Many of us are probably female reading this and while adversely affected by teen hormones, having witnessed my male dominated family go through puberty. . . . well, WTFery is fairly standard with m
K.A. Merikan
Nov 09, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Due to popular demand... *cough* new cover! :) Hope you guys like it, cause this one's staying <3

***

Diary of a Teenage Taxidermist is a New Adult contemporary erotic romance about Ethan, the weird goth kid who is into taxidermy, getting into a relationship with Rob, the quarterback of his dreams thanks to a freak accident that leaves Ethan without an eye and with brain damage.

On Pinterest! <3 http://www.pinterest.com/KAMerikan/di...

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P2S4VN2 :)
Michael Thompson
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this Book!!!

Wow, I picked this book up not expecting much and man was I surprised. This is a great book! This is a New Adult (NOT a Young Adult) erotic, coming of age story of Robert and Ethan. A high school quarterback that falls for the geeky goth.

I love the jock/geek coming of age stories. There are a lot of them out there. But this is the first new adult coming of age I've read and LOVED it!
What brought these two guys together was questionable, but what keeps them together is a genuine
Nina
Nov 21, 2014 marked it as paused-or-abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-adult, gay, free
You know what? I've decided I'm going to stop forcing myself to finish books I don't give a shit about just because. I mean, I leave lots of other things unfinished on a daily basis - why not books? Why suffer?

This is definitely not the worst thing I've ever read, but I am very, very far from enjoying it - which is shocking to say the least, since I normally adore K.A. Merikan's short stories.
The initial idea has great potential, but the way it's developed does not work for me at all. The protag
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jennifer☠Pher☠ by: * A Reader Obsessed *
Shelves: m-m
Nope, nope, nope. This one just totally did not work for me. I was mostly disturbed the entire time I was reading and no, not because of the dead animals.

Manda
I'm starting with my complaints, but it is only a matter of small niggles. Bear with me, I'll get to the good stuff soon enough!

[edit: the book now has a beautiful new cover so my complaint doesn't stand anymore]

Don't let the generic cover fool you, this story is a special one. I loved the quirky bits of it so hard I feel the cover should have been something more unique than two boys, or actually one boy and a naked torso of a hunk. For me the best part of the cover was the bottom part with the
Meags
4.5 Stars

My preconceptions of this book were way waaay off-course! I mean this in the best possible way. The title initially led my mind astray and the idea of taxidermy in general -- which I found uber-creepy before reading this book and now I find it fascinating -- made me assume this story was going to be darker in tone than it was. These darker misconceptions are probably due to the fact that my only prior exposure to the world of taxidermy is through what I’ve seen creepy Norman Bates do wi
Chris
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, y-a
I adored this !!! What a unique storyline but of course I expect something a little the left of mainstream from these girls. This was sweet and quite heartwarming. Great characters, interesting twist and a fab ending,.... although I would have loved a 5 years later epilogue !
Lenore
Unfortunate cover.

Unfortunate title.

The whole taxidermy thing was unfortunate, to be honest. I couldn't get past it.

Also, the entire tit-for-tat arrangement of the MCs was just wrong.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Nov 22, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather K (dentist in my spare time) by: Manda
FREE at ARe right now 11/22/14
Susan
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
BR with my lady Elsbeth

This was absolutely not what I expected.

I was expecting a high school romance with some twists and turns. Because the main issue is not addressed in the blurb at all. I was so surprised after reading the first chapter! And here I thought I would find the whole taxidermy thing weird, but that was actually pretty cool, didn’t feel weird at all. Or perhaps that was because I was expecting it.

---Spoilers ahead---

What I did not expect was for this book to start with Robert and
Chris, the Dalek King
This was a bit of a shocker for me. I was having a horrible time finding anything to read yesterday. I must have gone thru seven books before i found one that didn't make me want to chuck the book at the wall (which would be bad since they were all on my kindle). There is no way this should have worked with me. Dead animals skeeve me out. Teenagers piss me off. Bullying makes me want to lock humanity up in a padded room till it learns to grow the fuck up. And yet, at the end? I really liked this ...more
Moonlite_Reader
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-mm
I feel like this author keeps gettin better and better. From the dark and taboo shit to this young, coming out and new love. I normally don't read YA stuff cause it ends up annoying me with the PG shit, when in reality, it's the farthest thing from the truth with youth today.

This story was really sweet and I LOVED it. A LOT! What made it even all the more special to me was that I could relate to it without the disability aspect to it. I left my house to live with someone when I was 15 not 18 li
V
Nov 01, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Usually I don't rate a book that I didn't finish, but this story was just wrong.
For example:

(view spoiler)
Britta ★ Nachteule ★
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Serena Yates
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
The title of this book alone is a dead giveaway that the story contained inside its pages is of the quirky kind. I just had no idea exactly how quirky, until I read the blurb, followed, of course, by the entire book. I mean how could I resist? A teenager in his final year of high school who is into taxidermy is unusual enough. Add the fact he has enough talent to build a business based on his extraordinary talent, and the sheer guts it takes to realize his somewhat strange ideas, and you have a ...more
Lori
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Another offering from the wonderfully quirky duo that is KA Merikan.

I know I bang on and on about great characters when I review books, but great characters are the beginning of any great book to me, I can forgive a lot if I fall for the characters - and KA Merikan have the knack of great characters.

I love how they are just that bit different, that bit quirky....it holds my interest and makes me want to read more. Now, guess what folks - I didn't read the blurb. If someone says to me, "
⚣Michaelle⚣
2.5 Stars

Yeah, I think that I'm just gonna keep to the Sex & Mayhem type books from this writing duo because I'm not clicking with anything else they write. It's trite. It's juvenile. It's even a little boring.

I mean, I get the whole "follow your bliss" angle here...but it just wasn't executed well. These teens did NOT need to be planning a forever future together, and the one they're working on seemed just.so.unrealistic. Ethan, at least, was ridiculously immature, whiney and demanding.

Als
Pixie
Cory
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it
3 solid stars!!! It definitely kept my interest and I enjoyed the story.

So when I first saw the title I knew this was going to be an interesting book. Indeed it was! It was quirky and things happened that I wasn't expecting as I didn't read the blurb about the book so I was going into it pretty much blind.

It starts off with a bang and begins with something pretty awful happening to Ethan...that's all I'm going to say. But this event triggers what happens next with Ethan and Robert. I'm not going
Elsbeth
Dec 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Elsbeth by: Susan

BR, December 4th with Susan.

3,5 stars

This must be the weirdest book I've read so far...

It started all grossed up. Ethan (view spoiler)

I was not okay with that!!

Ethan has a big hobby and does taxidermy. He's not socially accepted by this and he's been picked upon a lot because of his peculiar ways.

After Ethan and Rob sorted things out and were able to put the "injury" behind them, the
Lorraine Lesar
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was cute, lovey-dovey and very, very quirky - I liked it a lot. It was a refreshing change to read about a non-perfect male lead that was....well, weird! Ethan had his bizarre but very cool, taxidermy interest, he was also stubborn but very determined whereas Robert was his total opposite and you know what they say about opposites attracting? Give this book a try, it's different from what you would normally expect from the Merikan's but definitely worth reading.
Līga Sproģe
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2016, m-m
If I had to use only 3 images to describe this book:

description

I kid you not, this was another trainwreck. Not as bad as "Trouble & the wallflower" but these characters had some #gavinlogic too. I just can't get over how chill Ethan was with loosing an eye. What. The. Fuck. This had potentical but wow, I sure was disappointed. What angst? What heartbreak? This is just another bad fanfiction. The weasel thing in the end was just disturbing, not some fancy metaphor.

description

I will repeat this to the end of time -
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Signs
  • Screwups
  • Adulting 101
  • Cornerstone
  • Us Three (One Voice, #1)
  • Balloon Animals Are Awesome
  • Fourth and Long
  • Out in the Open (Browerton University, #1)
  • You're Always in the Last Place You Look
  • Violence Begets...
  • Memorizing You
  • Timber Pack Chronicles (Timber Pack Chronicles #1)
  • Spectacularly Broken (Spectacularly Broken, #1)
  • Safe
(Goodreads profile run by Kat)

K. A. Merikan are a team of writers who try not to suck at adulting, with some success. Always eager to explore the murky waters of the weird and wonderful, K.A. Merikan don’t follow fixed formulas and want each of their books to be a surprise for those who choose to hop on for the ride.

K.A. Merikan have a few sweeter M/M romances as well, but they specialize in the d
“The soft, minty mouth moved over his in tune with Derek’s hands, which pulled Ethan closer. “Your hair is so long and soft. It makes me think of Jesus.”
What did one say to something like that? Ethan had no idea. “Is that a good thing in this context?”
1 likes
“Avrebbe accettato: Ethan si meritava qualsiasi cosa avrebbe chiesto.
Rob avrebbe perso la verginità in cambio di un'assenza di precedenti penali.
Non era il modo in cui aveva immaginato che succedesse con un ipotetico primo
ragazzo al college, ma non c'era modo di aggirare la situazione. Ethan aveva
ogni diritto di odiarlo ed era il momento di pagare”
0 likes