Start by marking “The Complete World of Greek Mythology” as Want to Read:
The Complete World of Greek Mythology

The Complete World of Greek Mythology

Greek myths are among the most complex and influential stories ever told. From the first millennium BC until today, the myths have been repeated in an inexhaustible series of variations and reinterpretations. They can be found in the latest movies and television shows and in software for interactive computer games. This book combines a retelling of Greek myths with a compr ...more
Published June 28th 2004 by Thames & Hudson

Start your review of The Complete World of Greek Mythology
Anna
Aug 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Seriously, the day I have children I hope I'll have the guts :-) to unplug the TV once in a while and get them hooked on the Greek myths instead: love, revenge, humor - who needs soaps??
Heather
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really well organized book. Meant to introduce the subject of Greek Mythology in context. Excellent for high school and early college students who want solid contextual understanding of this subject.
Phoenix2
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
Always fascinating.
Natalie
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I really love mythology(preferably greek). I loved reading this book because it gave me all the stories in one book but they did leave out some tiny details, kinda like an abridged version. I really do recommend it though!
Ann
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved it. I'm a HUGE greek-roman mythology nerd.
Moody Claire
Jun 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-books
i really loved greek mythology... every single story included in it is so lovable and awesome! Like echo and paris, odysseus, jason and the argonauts etc...
Felicia
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was my prescribed book for my Greek Mythology in context course at university. It is very informative and has pictures. Definitely pick this up if you are doing research.
Simon Ri
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Diving into mythology always equals the attempt of understanding the foundations of our civilization. Myths provide boiled down truth about how we are supposed to act in the world, articulated by our unconscious long before our consciousness even grappled with the ideas.

Carved on the temple at Delphi were the exhortations "Know yourself" and "Nothing too much," mottoes which remind us if our own limitations: You are only human, so don't try more than you are able or you will pay the price. A re
Heidi Origer
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love Greek Mythology. I've always enjoyed reading their stories growing up.
Rob Dudek
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
5/5 What can I say? I'm a fan of Greek mythology and this book really delivers. A very entertaining and informative read!
Frank Hering
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very useful. Very informative.
Stella Chen
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-school
A great resource to pick up for anyone interested in a basic overview of Greek myths and their significance on Greek culture. However, because this book took more of a Greek civilization route, the myths themselves were bare-boned. I would have preferred a more in depth look into the variation that exist in various Greek myths.

Overall, I enjoyed reading through this. Now I really need my professor to send us that list of recommended readings for the summer...
Greg Strandberg
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
You really can't go wrong with Greek mythology, and this book will give you lots of characters and stories. I got this book from the public library, so there's not a lot to crow about. There are some boring parts, but if you're looking for a quick rundown, this is a good way to go.
Lisa
Sep 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I loved this book, which is pretty much an overview of the Greek myths. I would have preferred a little more in depth in some places, but I guess that's what Homer is for.
Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands)
***Read for University***

Mini Review To Come
Megan Creel
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Useful for quick research, the book has a very easy to use format for finding what you need to know.
Leif
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
An excellent textbook for those keen to see the range and get a glimpse of the depth of Greek myth. Buxton maintains a buoyant voice that never lingers longer than it should over details – although some of the later chapters feel tired, or were at least subject to my readerly exhaustion and so weren't as interesting as the majority of the middle chapters.
Lisa Baeringer
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
For anyone interested in Greek mythology this book is for you. It's very informative and pictures to boot. It gives you a better understanding into the stories surrounding the Greek gods and their religious practices.
Mansour
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very interesting book
Christina
Feb 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Reads like a textbook, must be a textbook - okay, I guess, if you're into scholarly arguments. I expected more of the actual stories included, I think I had the wrong expectations for this type of book.
Janella
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Riley
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I learned so much from this.
Radit malasmembaca
Oct 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storybook
before there is philosophy, one must seek answer under the marvelous mythology
Barry
Mar 29, 2009 added it
Shelves: religion
Fun to read, but those Greeks just had too many characters and stories.
Winna
Feb 19, 2008 added it
Shelves: most-wanted
I want this book!!! But it's so expensive..
Lucy
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very well presented book on Greek mythology. One thing that I like about this book had been missing from my previous experience with Greek mythology. It had always been presented as a single set of myths with no variations and no context. This book gives both, especially where they get the information on the myths: from Homer, various dramas, and other sources. A lot of photographs of Greek vases, statues, other carvings and art sources help illustrate the myths. Paintings from the Renaissance o ...more
Nick Black
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really good, modern coverage, with great sourcing and comparison among the original texts. I liked the chapter on historical development of the Greek myths. I would have appreciated more coverage of the Roman "editions", especially as I read this as Jeopardy prep, and overall more text and fewer pictures would have been just fine. The breakup of myth along thematic lines was sensible from a didactic perspective, but it doesn't work very perfectly from a reference perspective.

Anyway, probably my
John
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I have been thinking about reading something on Greek mythology for a while. This was exactly what I was looking for......but it was a bit dry and didn't capture my imagination.
Lauren
May 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mythology
Even though this book shows to give a good overview of myths I was not that impressed with the set up of writing style in general.
Carl
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Buxton put together a great overview, analysis, contextualization and survey of Greek mythology, including great artwork and very helpful maps.
Find book title 1 6 Feb 21, 2018 03:40PM

• Hot Water Music
  • The Norse Myths
  • D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths
  • Bulfinch's Mythology
  • The Clique (The Clique, #1)
  • The Chariot of Queen Zara (The Secrets of Droon, #27)
  • White Fang
  • Myth and Philosophy: A Contest of Truths
  • Infections and Inequalities: The Modern Plagues
  • To Repair the World: Paul Farmer Speaks to the Next Generation
  • Strength in What Remains: A Journey of Remembrance and Forgiveness
  • How Doctors Think
  • The Soul of a New Machine
Richard Buxton works on ancient Greek literature (especially tragedy), and ancient mythology and religion. One of his main aims is to explore the contexts – for example, social life and the landscape – which can help us to recover the meanings which myths had for their tellers and hearers/readers (see his Imaginary Greece, 1994, and The Complete World of Greek Mythology, 2004).

In 1996 he organized