Start by marking “Treble Maker (Perfect Harmony, #1)” as Want to Read:
Treble Maker (Perfect Harmony, #1)

Treble Maker

(Perfect Harmony #1)

On Perfect Harmony, the ambitious competitors heat things up on stage and off…

Cody Rivers is determined to be a rock star, but couch-surfing between bar shows gets old fast. Joining an a cappella group for a new singing competition show could be his last chance at real fame—unless the college boy from the heart of the country messes it up for him. Lucas Norwood is everyth
Published August 4th 2015 by Lyrical Press

To ask other readers questions about Treble Maker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treble Maker

Start your review of Treble Maker (Perfect Harmony, #1)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.25~

"I want to go home," [Lucas] said ... He needed out of this place and out of his own head.

"To Iowa?" ...

"No. To us."

There is nothing real about television. Every competition "reality" show is staged, every elimination carefully scripted.

Cody knows this and is willing to play the game. He has an incredible voice and moves like Adam Levine, but he's living out of his van and has no prospects on the horizon.

Cody slinks around in his tight pants and eye liner, working the modern
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I have something to confess: I'm a HUGE a cappella fan.

In fact, my college all-male a cappella group was on the show, The Sing Off, that this book is based on, and I watched intently all season. I became sort of an a cappella groupie, and so I was THRILLED when I saw the plot of this book. I've also been loving everything I've been reading from Annabeth Albert. She is relatively new to the M/M scene, but she has just been owning it recently.

Cody and Lucas were electric together. This book is k
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
3.5 Stars!

Rounding down because I skimmed quite a bit of the last half or so.

I thought this one was too long. Too drawn out. Cody and Lucas spend the first half to three quarters of the book going back and forth with each other. Hot and cold.

It started getting old. And I started getting bored.

I started to lose interest in both Cody and Lucas and what happened between them.

I also seem to really dislike at least one of Annabeth Albert's MCs. In this case it was Lucas.

If I were Cody I would ha
.Lili.
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
 photo d4798b0c-4c29-4683-a159-64ce74cce454_zpsz4lgijku.jpg

Boy was I excited for this book after falling in love with previous books I've read from this author. She's got this nack for writing these sweet and steamy romances that are so much fun and endearing. Although I did enjoy this book- I didn't love as much as other books of hers I've read.

What I loved:

*Opposites attract trope
*Love both the main characters
*Steamy
*It had some very fun moments

What I didn't love so much:

These two boys would go from-

to-

photo cold_cold_cold_frozen_zpsugnaqobi.gif

After a while the constant back n forth and back
Kaje Harper
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
This books was a real mix for me, parts that I liked a lot, others that I was not so crazy about. It's a long story about two young men who enter an a cappella competition. Initially competitors, they end up in the same group, with very different expectations, and their interactions alternately blow very hot and very cold. (I might note here, beware of POV section changes between the two MCs with no indicator whatsoever - once I realized the POV would sometimes switch from one paragraph to the n ...more
Denise H.
*** This artfully written tale is amazing ! ***
This is the romance of two young, 20's "a capella" singers competing in a contest show on TV. Lucas, 21, a bass from Iowa, gay, but inhibited

by the contract his folks and school hold him to comply , keeping him restricted, keeping him from being his true self.
Cody, 23, a magnificent singer, left Iowa years ago
(I'm picturing some Adam Lambert rock)

because of the attitudes there. He's becoming famous, he's a tall, slim Goth man with tats and pier
Fabi
Oh my gawwwwd! I freakin loved this book!!! It had every single thing I enjoy reading about.

✔️ A hot young gay couple.
✔️ Talented singers.
✔️ New adults forging their brand new lives.
✔️ Learning about each other.
✔️ Discovering themselves.
✔️ Standing up for themselves and each other.
✔️ The sexiest of sex scenes - because - love of course.

Five humongous heart melty stars!
CrabbyPatty
What's not to love? Lucas, a tie/sweater vest combo-wearing Iowa boy from an uber conservative college in Austerity, Iowa with a great bass voice, and Cody, a Goth twink with a killer tenor pipes (who basically lives in his van in LA while trying to make it big) meet on the set of "Perfect Harmony," an a cappella singing contest / reality show (think extremely low-budget American Idol).

I loved the complexity of the characters in this story. Cody has come a long way from Des Moines, Iowa and sur
Ele
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I 've been putting this off because of all the mixed reviews but I ended up loving it!

I'm really not a fan of a capella, and although this story is based on it I didn't get bored, not at all.

I loved:
*The complexity of the characters, they are so diametrically different (or so they think) but they work together so well.
*Piercings. Hell yes, Cody has this Goth look going on and multiple piercings.
*The television music show is realistic. Fake and staged.
*Steam. So very steamy.
*No melodrama, just a
Meags
3.5 Stars

This is a tricky one to rate!

Unfortunately, I am not a fan of many of the themes explored here. All the religious repression that Lucas struggles with throughout the story just brought my mood right down. There was a bit too much judgement and moral superiority going on for my liking. As sweet as Lucas was at times, I just didn’t like what his hot and cold attitude did to poor Cody, who was already struggling with issues of his own and certainly didn’t need the added pressure of feelin
* A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars

I'll be honest, this wasn’t my favorite Albert story. While she has consistently touched on tough topics that range from drug abuse to disabilities to having HIV, unfortunately, closet cases and religious repression aren’t my favorite tropes.

Cody is a talented singer, and though Perfect Harmony is a TV show pitting singing groups against each other, he’s determined to use the experience to further his own career as much as possible. He’s been on his own for years, having been rejected b
Renée
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-romance, 2015
3.5 stars.

This one is so hard to write. I adore Ms. Albert's writing. And a book with such a strong music theme? I'm in!

Strong writing. Strong emotion. This had all the makings of a successful 4-5 star read for me. But, sadly, it wasn't to be. There were just too many little things I couldn't get past.

These two were so judgmental of each other for most of the book. It really turned me off. And then the quick flip from a celibate-until-marriage stance to getting off with my roommate (before I ev
~Kristin~
3.75 Stars
This one started off slowly and was a little boring and the authors abrupt change of POV was difficult to follow, but it picked up steam and drew me in. By the end I adored both Lucas and Cody.
Keira Andrews
This book is so delightfully dirty! I was not expecting that from the cover or blurb, so it was a wonderful surprise. I was rooting for Lucas and Cody from the start, and I really enjoyed the setting of the TV music competition. Lucas's parents were not typical disapproving parents, but they still wanted to control Lucas's sexuality and keep him in a neat, tidy box. That was a compelling struggle for Lucas.

As I mentioned, this book is surprisingly dirty, and I loved seeing Lucas get the chance
Heller
DNF

Nothing wrong but it bored me and I couldn't get past the first few chapters. I may try down the road when I forgot that I actually attempted to read it once before but I doubt it. I'll be skipping the rest in this series.

Not the usual result when I try this author...but you can't win them all.
Veronica of V's Reads
4.5 Stars for this contemporary M/M New Adult romance.

Cody is a 23 y/o goth/glam singer trying to make it in LA. He's barely coasting with a van nearly his own age stuffed full of his belongings, couch-surfing until he can land some more gigs. His newest gig is the lead vocalist of an acapella singing group on the reality show, Perfect Harmony. He's already figured out the ins-and-outs of surviving this competition, and it might-could involve some private time with one of the assistant director
Ami

I am going to start with a disclaimer. I love Annabeth Albert's stories ... I enjoy her Portland Heat series and her contribution to this year's Goodreads M/M Romance "Don't Read in the Closet" event, Waiting for Clark, is simply one of my favorites and an almost perfect read. So when I saw that she was releasing a full-length novel, and then the book was available in Netgalley, I didn't think twice. I just requested right away (and was lucky to be approved).

Albert's writing was good an
Kat, short for Clara
This book?

It had me staying up until the early hours of the morning so I could finish it. Then when I finished, and because it had such a... profound affect on me, I immediately set about procuring a hard copy for my delectation.

Once a hard copy was procured, I set about finding a super sharp spear.

And once that was found, next on my list was some lighter fluid and a box of matches.

*commences impaling book on my super sharp spear, dousing it in lighter fluid, then setting it alight*

*cackles
BWT (Belen)
Though this hits a lot of the right notes, it sometimes fell a bit flat in parts, but managed to put itself back into tempo by the end. <--See what I did there? Ah, such fun with puns!

Cody was a bit of a pill for half the novel and Lucas was a bit hard for me to pin down whether I actually liked him or not for most of the story too. In the end they both grew on me and I was rooting for them to get together.

You know what this was like for me? It's like a Taylor Swift song...when I first hear it I
Santy
3.5 Stars!

First things First, a HUGE thanks Fabi for lending me this book! You're a STAR!

Second things second(I know no one says that lol!), this book was great and since most of my GR friends have read it, I'm not going to even bother with a long review. I'll just say I loved how realistic this book was and loved Cody and Lucas together.

They struggled, but their HEA/HFN was very well worth it.
Arch Bala
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: musician
Let me start by saying I totally loved the cover of this book! Of course, it’s the first thing that made me interested to get a hold of it. Lucky me because Netgalley has it available for request. Anyway, this is my first book by Annabeth Albert and having heard so much about her well-received participation in Goodreads M/M Romance Group’s “Love is an Open Road” event, my expectations prior to reading this was probably way off the charts.

To easily picture Treble Maker, think of NBC’s The Sing-Of
aksana  -  4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42 -

Review to come...
Leta Blake
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absofreakinglutely LOVED this book!
Caipi
A sweet romance of two totally different guys, who find together during an a capella reality competition show. :)

Lucas and Cody really couldn’t be more different!
Lucas is ultra conservative. His family, as well as the college he attends, accept him being gay, but expect from him to stay celibate until marriage and avoid any temptation.
Cody on the contrary, is outgoing and proud. A gothy twink with piercings, tattoos and guyliner. Sometimes over the top, but also full of insecurities.

It was so
Sara

So I am a big fan of singing, of music of reality singing contests… but only in books. The contests that is, I love singing and music in all forms but the reality contests, they only work in books for me because of the possible romance it inspires. So having said that, I really enjoyed the hell out of this book.

Having it told in the dual POV of our sultry goth pseudo diva Cody and Lucas, our reserved boy next door with a side of … well you’ll figure that out when you read this, was perfect. I a
Hollis
Lucas had long ago made his peace with wanting -- want was fine in carefully rationed chunks, as long as he cleared his browser history afterward and went on with his resolve to never turn want into action.

If Glee, Pitch Perfect, The Voice and American Idol came together to have queer babies, one of those babies would be called TREBLE MAKER. Drama, dancing, singing and repressed boys from Iowa are just some of what you'll find in book one of Albert's Perfect Harmony series.

"I want your bass, no
namericanwordcat
I don't like reality tv shows much but I am a bit of a fan of competitive singing shows. and I love a bass voice. So... I was in.

I think that this book could have stood to be longer in order to get the characters fuller arcs and in order for choices to be made more slowly but even though I don't think Lucas would have moved so fast nor do I think Cody would have matured this fast, I really enjoyed the book.

I don't want to give spoilers but Lucas is in an intersting pickle as to how he acts on
Vallie
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spicy-hot, mm, rock-stars
3.5 stars rounded up.

Before reading this book, I was pretty much a stranger to all things a capella. I have to say the experience was well worth it. I’ve only read a short story by this author and after this book I am definitely keeping an eye out for her works.

Cody and Lucas were amazing characters that warmed their way into my heart from the very beginning. Cody is a goth twink with some serious backbone who wants desperately to have his break in the music business. Lucas is a shy country-bo
Keveen
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it
3 STARS

Too lazy to write a review for this but I was so disappointed with it with all the hype it has been getting. It didn't even get my interest and I had to force myself to finish it because I did not want to DNF it.

Anyway, what I liked:
1. Cody and Lucas. Not interesting enough but they are both fine. I liked the progress of their relationship.
2. The teasing. The sex.
3. The story and most of the characters were kind of believable, I guess.

What I didn't like:
1. Ugh I was so tired on how the si
Pjm12
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a fairly intense book, but more because of its writing style than its content.

The two boys play a lot together, and a lot of that is off screen. We see key moments of intimacy, but it's more about how the developing relationship impacts on both of them.

Both Cody & Lucas bring a whole lot of baggage and assumptions with them, so there's a bit of judging and miscommunication and a lot of lack of talking actually!!

And the singing stuff is a great plot point, and in fact, I would have liked
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• American Fairytale (Dreamers, #2)
  • Syncopation (Twisted Wishes, #1)
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • Love Lessons (Love Lessons, #1)
  • A Kaleidoscope of Butterflies
  • Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)
  • Stupid Love (Stumbling into Love, #1)
  • Dine with Me
  • Goalie Interference (Hat Trick, #2)
  • Reading the Signs
  • Strike a Chord (Replay #4)
  • Two Rogues Make a Right (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #3)
  • Pretty Sweet (Boys in Makeup #2)
  • Nothing Special (Nothing Special, #1)
  • Giving Chase (Havenwood #1)
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • Pretty Perfect (Boys in Makeup, #1)
  • BTW: By the Way (After Oscar, #3)
Frequent tweeter, professional grammar nerd, and obsessive reader, Annabeth Albert is also a Pacific Northwest romance writer in a variety of subgenres.

Emotionally complex, sexy, and funny stories are her favorites both to read and to write. In between searching out dark heroes to redeem, she works a rewarding day job and wrangles two toddlers.

Perfect Harmony (3 books)
  • Love Me Tenor (Perfect Harmony, #2)
  • All Note Long (Perfect Harmony, #3)