Start by marking “Atlantia” as Want to Read:

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  14,258 ratings  ·  2,338 reviews
Set within a civilization that lives deep beneath the sea, twin sisters, Rio and Bay, are about to make the most important decision of their lives. Will they choose to stay Below, sacrificing their soul but living in happiness, or to go Above, keeping their soul but living in weakness and misery. No one could have predicted their choice.
Published November 6th 2014 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published October 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Atlantia, please sign up.
Oneida I copied this off of http://allycondie.com/atlantia ATLANTIA is a standalone title, which means that it is NOT part of a series. It’s also not related to the Matched series at all.
Lindsay The main characters seem to be late teens, old enough to choose where they will live and to move from school to work, young enough to just start…moreThe main characters seem to be late teens, old enough to choose where they will live and to move from school to work, young enough to just start thinking about romance.(less)

·  14,258 ratings  ·  2,338 reviews

Start your review of Atlantia
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
The problem with Atlantia is that it’s so boring I’d rather eat nails than read it again. Or finish it. This is my first from Ally Condie. And probably my last if this is how she writes in all her books.

“He kisses me.. He is good at this. I am good at this. We are good at this”

giphy

WELL U KNOW WAT? I AM NOT GOOD WITH ANY OF DIS!

“She’s going to tell me the story, and I’m going to listen. And I am afraid.”

The author needs to be informed that we are not toddlers anymore. She needs to know that. AnywayDIS!
books.
Kassidy
I was really hoping to like this, but I just don't think Ally Condie's books are meant for me.

This story has a cool, unique, and clever premise, but unfortunately it did not deliver. The idea of Atlantia is neat and I was very interested to see how a world can exist underwater. However, the world building is so underdeveloped.
I could not picture what it looked like, and it just did not make sense. The elements of the world felt very random and thrown together. I did not buy into it
| DNF at 78% |

description

Blurb: Can you hear Atlantia breathing?
For as long as she can remember, Rio has dreamt of the sand and sky Above—of life beyond her underwater city of Atlantia. But in a single moment, all her plans for the future are thwarted when her twin sister, Bay, makes an unexpected decision, stranding Rio Below. Alone, ripped away from the last person who knew Rio’s true self—and the powerful sclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Samantha
Aug 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Before I get into the review, let me just point out that Atlantia is horribly mis-marketed. If it had been marketed properly, I probably would not have picked it up. From the synopsis and the cover art, it is implied that this is going to be a mermaid story. It is not. It is a dystopian taking place in an city enclosed underwater. This wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that I wasn't even able to finish Condie's other dystopian series, Matched. If I would have known I was heading into another dy ...more
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
Yeah, no thanks, Blandlantia. Frankly I'd rather watch a chess game in a retirement home.
Kristina Horner
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, dystopian
This book was gorgeous, exhilarating, and broke my expectations again and again. It could have easily been another dystopian love triangle but it surprised me over and over again. I loved it.
Kathy
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
This book was nothing like I was expecting it to be. I was expecting Mermaids. I expected lots of romance. I expected predictability.

I'm not exactly sure why I thought mermaids. The summary says sirens, they live underwater, this is fantasy... I was not expecting the people of Atlantia to be humans living in an underground city.

I was expecting more romance than what was in this book. There was romance, and the part it played was very sweet and such a great part of the sto
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
This review can also be found on my blog: A Match Made in Heaven

Due to this being set in Atlantis I thought that it would be a fantasy, or a historical set in the times of ancient Greece. But it is not Atlantis, it is Atlantia. It is set in a post-apocalyptic world, where the world Above is poisoned so people moved Below the water.

This is the story of Rio, who dreams of seeing above, and her journey to see her sister again, and to discover the secrets of her world and Above, and what really
Evie
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 100 pages

This was, essentially, a yawn-fest. Every time I would pick it up, I would get through 20-30 pages and then I would fall asleep. My eyes were literally tearing up from yawning, guys, this has never happened to me before - at leas not to this extent. Sadly, I was not able to get immersed in this story.

The concept was very exciting and the idea of an underwater city and a society that sacrifices itself so that others can survive and live peacefully was more
Alyssa

Publication Date: October 28, 2014
Rating: 2 stars
Source: Hardcover copy traded via YA Book Exchange

Summary (from Goodreads):

Can you hear Atlantia breathing?

Suzanne
2.5*

I hate writing negative reviews. Especially when I really enjoyed the author’s other works, but I was expecting more out of this book. This had cute and some interesting moments but overall I was bored reading this book. I loved the Matched trilogy by Ally Condie so much but I could not get into this book and honestly I even put it down for a couple days before even picking it back up to finish it. It had some interesting parts and a plot that some people will enjoy a lot but I j
Max Lau  • Maxxesbooktopia
“Under star-dark seas and skies of gold
Live those Above and those Below
They sing and weep, both high and deep
While over and under the ocean rolls”–Atlantia, Ally Condie.

My thoughts: Introduction

Let us start off with the cover of the book. I was a little disappointed because I originally thought that this book was going to be about a tale of mermaids. But after I read the synopsis for the book, I was intrigued by the originality of the story! So, I bought this book and started reading it an
Rebekah
Interesting! Review to come. :)

Thanks Penguin! (ALA Annual 14)

Jo
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, ya-fantasy
I will warn you - this is slow to get started. It takes awhile for the world to be built and the characters to get situated, but once it does, it is an amazing world to explore. Rio is an immensely complex protagonist who really struggles with the right thing to do. But I think my favorite character of all was Maire. She is so nebulous - you don't know whether to hug her or smack her. She is a big reason this book almost got five stars from me. The rest of the book was spectacular
Tabitha
Read this and other reviews at Not Yet Read

Atlantia is somewhat of a genre mash up of science fiction and fantasy. Set in an underwater city on the ocean floor in what I assume is Earth’s future. The main character is a girl named Rio whose sister Bay betrays her by taking her only chance to live on the surface.

The benefit of the doubt

Rio is so much nicer then I would have been in her p/>The
Anne Osterlund
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rio lives in the underwater city of Atlantia. After her mother dies, she forfeits her dream--the chance to live Above--in order fulfill her promise to stay below with her sister, Bay. But when Bay turns the tables on Rio and snatches their family’s only spot on a transport to the world Above, Rio is left in Atlantia. Alone. Determined to unravel her sister’s motive and to challenge all the laws of Atlantia in order to see Bay once again. Above.

Oh, I really enjoyed this novel! The und
MeggieBree
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian, ya
I've read a lot of dystopian novels, and a lot of them follow a similar story line. This one was different, and I truly appreciate that! I'm also a sucker for a story about sisters, and enjoyed that aspect of it as well. I once again wish for the half-star option, because I would have given this book a solid 3.5 stars.

The world has been divided between Above - where the air was so polluted that people could no longer survive for long - and Below - where the people have been blessed w
Tez
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
My suspension of disbelief can only be so strong for so long before it collapses. Atlantia is a mind-boggler. To the author's credit, Ally Condie does try to describe the actual world-building: the city of Atlantia is underwater, inside giant, connected "bubbles". But I can't properly imagine the engineering and logistics required to build a city and move it into these "bubbles", or bring the materials INTO the bubbles, and build them inside. What are these bubbles made of, and how are they connected? ...more
Naban
In any case, this wasn't an unbearable and the testimony is the fact that I finished it pretty quick. While it made me turn the pages, there was nothing remarkable about anything that happens in this book. Everything was just..there. When the action was supposedly at its highest peak, I was wondering when the action would come only to realize that oh, this is the action sequence.

I loved how the book started, it made me feel like I was going to experience something wonderfully refreshing. As it
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Don’t get Atlantia, the underwater city mixed up with Atlantis, because they have absolutely nothing in common except for being underwater. I thought Atlantia was going to be rich in culture and history and contain many historic buildings, but what we got instead was a bare bones story about bats and sirens.

Somehow the book had a weird dystopian feel about it, referring to the city “Above” and “Below” which is where Atlanti
Melanie
I've read some of Ally Condie's work and it wasn't really good, but the synopsis sounds really good so we'll see.
Kate Willis
This is my fifth book by Ally Condie.

First off, she alllwwwwaaayys scores the most beautiful book covers. Second, whoever decided the inside flaps should be that exact shade of green has my undying respect and a pan of brownies.

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from this book. I’d heard a rumor that it was exactly like Matched except bland, and since I loved Matched, I wasn’t too thrilled about that idea.

I looooved the worldbuilding. The gondolas, the trees, the market… It was properl
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
I love it when I'm excepting one thing with a book, and get something completely different. Ally Condie treated me to something I was not excepting. When I first read that Atlantia had Sirens, I, for whatever reason, thought mermaids. For the record, there are NO mermaids in this book. What this book has, however is an unpredictable plot line, a pretty cool world, some great characters, a well paced romance, and a few twists. Did I mention there's an UNDER SEA WORLD?

Read my FULL review here on
Fari
Review can be found here @ My Little Corner for Books

I have such mixed feeling about this one, it’s not even funny. *sigh* Okay, so, I decided to give Ally Condie a second chance. I had tried her Matched trilogy before and… that experience did not end well. Like, at all. I believe I gave Matched 3 stars but Crossed was so boring and horrible, I just couldn’t do it. I gave up somewhere close to the part where they were walking across some mountains! (Because that narrows it down SO mu
Juhina
Atlantia.. oh Atlantia.. I honestly didn't have high hopes because one of my book kryptonite is mermaids/sirens.. however I thought this would be different with the sci fi/dystopian setting. Unfortunetly Atlantia didn't have a captivating and strong plot.. half the time I was bored out of my mind.

We have Rio, living in Atlantia, a constructed underworld city. At the age of 16, each person is allowed to choose between staying in Atlantia or going to the above. Rio always wanted to go to the abov
Kara
This review and others are also available to read on my blog Diary of a Teen Writer Diary of a Teen Writer.

Confession: Years ago, when Matched was first released, I read it, enjoyed it . . . but never picked up the rest of the series. Why, do you ask? Presumably because I lost interest in it. If I had really liked the first book, I’m sure I would have picked up the rest, so I think it’s safe to say those books weren’t for me. And, after reading Atlantia, I can also say that this was not for me
i.
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having started this book with considerable misgivings , I must say I am not enthusiastic about sirens, the new novel my Allie Condie greatly surprised me .I expected a romantic fairy tale and instead I found a compelling story about love,sacrifice and the never ending human thirst for power.

The novel depicts a world divided between the citizens living above on the ground and the ones living below the surface of the sea.The descriptions of the submerged city of Atlantia , the temple with its metal trees,
Sabrina
Under star-dark seas and skies of gold/Live those Above, and those Below/They sing and weep, both high and deep/While over and under the ocean rolls
I was so pleasantly surprised by this book. I wasn't a fan of the Matched series (dnf-ed Crossed), but Atlantia's premise looked so intriguing, and the praise from Shannon Hale (one of my favourite authors) was enough for me to pick it up. I was expecting YA tropes, and instead, this book was refreshingly original.
After losing my mother and my sister, I didn't think I had anything left to looriginal.
WTF Are You Reading?
Atlantia is a very hard story to pin down. A major reason for this being that it unfolds at a very slow pace.
Rio Conwy is a girl restrained. Kept away from her dream of a life in the Above by a last minute decision by her sister. Warned never to use her Siren's gift by her mother. Haunted by unanswered questions surrounding her mother's death and the surviving aunt that she has never been allowed to know.

The first third of the book is spent following Rio through loss after loss
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Okay let me start out by saying that I love Ally Condie and her writing. She has a way of grabbing you and pulling you into the world and keeping you there until you can't turn the pages anymore because the book is done.

I was taken at betrayal and underworld so when I started reading and found out what one twin did to the other and how the parents were dead I knew I was going to go on one hell of a journey and journey is what I got.Can you imagine living with your twin and doing ever
Goodreads YA—Ask Ally Condie a question! 17 233 Sep 11, 2019 02:53PM
Thoughts? 7 50 Sep 05, 2019 05:02PM
boring, much? 3 10 Sep 05, 2019 05:00PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Atlantia by Ally Condie - GBR - Starting May 1st 2016 24 111 May 06, 2016 01:30PM
Panther Book Club: Atlantia Discussion Board 3 14 Feb 01, 2016 06:11AM
Atlantia Read-A-Long- Hosted by Hannnah's Brilliant Book Corner 1 4 Nov 25, 2015 01:04AM

• The Siren
  • Gefangen - Die Zeitenwanderer-Chroniken
  • Remarkables
  • Der verhängnisvolle Fluch (Magic Girls, #1)
  • The Gardener
  • Becoming Elektra: Sie bestimmen, wer du bist
  • The Stolen One
  • Wings of Renewal: A Solarpunk Dragon Anthology
  • How to Train Your Dragon
  • Verbundene Seelen - Jenna & Drystan
  • Kiera
  • Christy and Todd: The College Years
  • Hexentochter (Clans of London, #1)
  • Der Himmel wird beben (Ophelia Scale, #2)
  • Von Sternen gekrönt (One True Queen, #1)
  • When Wishes Bleed
  • Training for Trouble (Hardy Boys, #161)
  • Wanderville
Ally Condie is a former high school English teacher who lives with her husband, three sons and one daughter outside of Salt Lake City, Utah. She loves reading, running, eating, and listening to her husband play guitar.
“We are not lost mermaids with seaweed hair and coins for eyes, but human girls, alive and found.
We are sisters, and we did not drown.”
20 likes
“Sometimes you can't speak, not because others won't let you, but because you are afraid of what you'll say.” 14 likes