Start by marking “Wanted... Mud Blossom (Blossom Family, #5)” as Want to Read:
Wanted... Mud Blossom (Blossom Family, #5)

Wanted... Mud Blossom

(Blossom Family #5)

The Blossom family has an especially eventful weekend during which Junior Blossom loses the school hamster and Pap's dog Mud is put on trial for the hamster's murder!"Byars captures the conflict and tension of courtroom drama, the ups and downs of personal relationships, and the rewards of lasting friendships."-- "School Library Journal," starred review.

An ALA Notable
Published February 1st 1993 by Yearling Books (first published 1991)

Start your review of Wanted... Mud Blossom (Blossom Family, #5)
Susan
May 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this one on CD- cute, but a little too much romance for elementary.
Natalie
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this one. By pure coincidence, I had started reading Summer of the Swans a couple days before I started listening to this one, not even realizing they were by the same writer. I think Byars definitely has an engaging style, but I much preferred this one to the other.

I thought the Blossom family was a lot fun and even brought out a few giggles. Ralphie's crush on Maggie was my absolute favorite. I didn't even mind Junior and Michael and Vernon. I liked the
Anthony
When Scooty, Junior's classroom hamster, goes missing, Junior is quick to accuse Mud of murder. Mary "Mad Mary" Cantrell goes missing, and all that is found is her bag and cane on the side of the road. Mystery, and murder and personal relationships are the focus with the Blossom family. Never a dull moment, and filled with humor.
Oliver
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun. Sometimes you think a family couldn't be this way. And, other times, you think that is just like my family.
Shelly Budziszewski
Fun characters!
Brenda
On the Battle of the Books list for 3-4 grades. I think this is a perfect book for those ages, and down to second grade as well. It was just a really cute, fun, feel good book.
Heather
How have I not heard of these books? Peter and I both thought it was hilarious. Well-told, great characters, unpredictable; a great middle grade book.
Katie Fitzgerald
This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

In this conclusion to the Blossoms series, both Mud and Mad Mary are in a lot of trouble. Mud has been accused of eating the class hamster that Junior brought home from school, resulting in a full criminal trial. More seriously, Mad Mary has gone missing, leaving her cane and the bag she uses to carry animal carcasses behind on a trail in the woods, with no indication as to where she has gone. While Vern and Michael tease Junior, and Maggie
Rena Sherwood
There are a couple of Betsy Byars book I like a lot so I picked this book up out of the library -- NOT realizing it's the fifth book in a series. (Hey, I was too busy to read the blurb before checking out. I live on the edge.) This book made me want to never read the first 4 books. I really don't know what the fuss is about.

description

The illustrator gets 5 stars. Well done -- except the hamster was supposed to be black, but I'll be generous since the color mention was an in-between-the-line kind of thing
Kristen
Apr 15, 2008 rated it liked it
The fifth book about the Blossom's was a hoot - because we listened to it as a book on tape, and we acually listened to it first. It's fun to hear all the characters come to life. In this book, Vern's friend, Michael, convinces him to trespass in Mad Mary's cave. Mad Mary herself is missing, and the Blossoms are the only ones who seem to notice or care. Junior is angry with Mud, Pap's dog, because he belives that Mud has eaten the school hamster he was caring for. As usual, there's a lot going ...more
Books Kids Like
The Blossoms have two mysteries to solve. Maggie Blossom and her boyfriend, Ralphie, find Mad Mary's bag by the side of the road. They know something is wrong, because Mary would never leave her collecting bag especially when it contains a dead possum for dinner. When Pap goes to her cave, he finds it empty. Meanwhile, Junior Blossom has received the distinct honor of bringing the classroom hamster home for the weekend. He puts the hamster in a network of tunnels he's dug in the backyard ...more
Rose Goodwin
This book is great for middle grade children. It has a lot of twists and turns because the author jumps from one instance to another and then back again. It could be hard for some readers because of this. The reader would need to have a good memory or take notes, if the reader takes a break, because the author jumps around so much. However, if the reader can keep up, this book will be hard to put down. It held my interest the entire time. It does have a few innocent kisses in the story between a ...more
Shelli
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Wanted...Mud Blossom (1991) by Betsy Byars is the story of mystery after mystery at the Blossom house. First, the class hamster, which Junior is taking care of for the weekend, disappears with evidence pointing to the dog, Mud. Then Mad Mary disappears. Finally, there may be a murder about to happen. What a weekend for the Blossoms!

Themes: Mystery; Friendship; Justice

Ways to use this book with children:
*Hold a mock trial to determine Mud's guilt or innocence (before you find out what really
Ruth Ann
Jul 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, mystery
This is the fifth book in a series about the Blossom Family. This installment focuses on the family dog named Blossom. When Junior brings home the classroom pet for the weekend, the hamster ends up missing. Evidence discovered makes it appear that the dog might have eaten the hamster. The family puts the dog on "trial for murder". There is also a "B" plot involving Mad Mary, an unusual neighbor who is missing.

I found this book humorous, but I thought the plot jumped around and some less
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

"Mud, Pap Blossom's dog is in deep trouble. Scooty, the school hamster Junior brought home for the weekend is missing--and the evidence points right to Mud. Meanwhile, Maggie and Ralphie find Mad Mary's bag and cane by the side of the road--everybody knows she'd never leave them behind voluntarily. With disappearances, kidnapping, and a possible murder, it's anything but dull at the Blossoms' this weekend." (From Amazon)

I loved the Blossom family as they were crazier than my own family. I
Stephanie A.
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This is the only Blossom book I've ever read, but what an unforgettable cover. The actual story is not nearly so much about the dog as I remembered, as opposed to the entire family, but one thing that did stand out was the writing style. I kept thinking what a great book it would make for elementary-age kids, both for fun and as a group discussion book, even if it doesn't personally hold the same appeal for me as an adult (which I think truly great children's books do).
Amanda
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was another book that I read with my 8-year-old son for his Battle of the Books contest at school. He and I both loved it. It was very funny and cute. The story is quite lighthearted but includes a little mystery, a love story, and even a murder trial. It was and fun one to read out loud-- and my husband even ended up in the room listening and chuckling with us. I had no idea that this was part of a series and will definitely be picking up the others to read to my son.
Havilah
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
When we listened to this book in the car, we had no idea that it was #5 in a series of books. We loved every minute of it. We were delighted to find that we had many more adventures to read/listen to about the Blossom family. These books are what we will be listening to this summer. Highly recommended.
Christy
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it

An ALA Notable Children's Book, A School Library Journal Best Book of the Year, Edgar Allan Poe Mystery Writers Award, A Child Study Children's Book Committee: Children's Book of the Year, A Junior Literary Gu...more
Elizabeth
Aug 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: betsy-byers
Weird. But I still enjoyed bits and peices of it.
Kimberly
Aug 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-ya
Cute story just not as good as some of the other j/ya books I've recently read.
Kristie Stauffer
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not really a favorite. A little too much weirdness going on. I haven't read the other Blossom family books and it took me a while to figure out the family dynamics.
Boston
Jun 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
I think my favorite character was Junior.
Madeline Beck
Aug 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
At the beginning there are too many plots and they don't relate to eachother in the slightest.
Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner)
Can't really remember much about this book other than the fact it was a favorite of mine and we had a golden so I had to have this book.
trina
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
what chapter books for young readers should be. fun, well-drawn characters and pictures, slightly off-kilter. i read these for pleasure as much as research, though i do wish i'd read them as a kid.
Cws
Apr 29, 2009 added it
Shelves: jar-fiction
JAR4-Bya
Jeepster
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really cute story to read at bedtime to my daughter. It made me chuckle for than a few times.
Sara
Aug 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood
This was the first chapter book I ever read. I remember LOVING it, but I don't remember the story much at all. Good times in my memory, good times.
Debbie Tanner
I haven't read any of,the other books in this series so I sometimes felt like aim was missing some pieces, but it's a funny story with interesting characters.

• The Million Dollar Shot (The Million Dollar Series, #1)
  • Ida B. . . and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World
  • The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog, #1)
  • Bud, Not Buddy
  • Regarding the Fountain: A Tale, in Letters, of Liars and Leaks
  • Helen's Big World: The Life of Helen Keller (Big Words)
  • Fables
  • Henry's Freedom Box: A True Story from the Underground Railroad
  • Night of the Twisters
  • Pocket Full of Colors: The Magical World of Mary Blair, Disney Artist Extraordinaire
  • Found (The Missing, #1)
  • Moo
  • The Chalk Box Kid
  • Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
  • Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things (Alvin Ho, #1)
  • Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2)
  • A Handful of Stars
  • Fortunately, the Milk
Betsy Byars has written over sixty books for young people. Her first published in 1962 and since then she has published regularly. Her books have been translated into nineteen languages and she gets thousands of letters from readers in the United States and from all over the world.

She has won many awards. Among them are the Newbery Medal in 1971 for her novel The Summer of the Swans, the American

Blossom Family (5 books)
  • The Not-Just-Anybody Family (Blossom Family, #1)
  • The Blossoms Meet the Vulture Lady (Blossom Family, #2)
  • The Blossoms and the Green Phantom (Blossom Family, #3)
  • A Blossom Promise (Blossom Family, #4)