Start by marking “Wanted... Mud Blossom (Blossom Family, #5)” as Want to Read:
Wanted... Mud Blossom (Blossom Family, #5)

Wanted... Mud Blossom (Blossom Family #5)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  326 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
The Blossom family has an especially eventful weekend during which Junior Blossom loses the school hamster and Pap's dog Mud is put on trial for the hamster's murder!"Byars captures the conflict and tension of courtroom drama, the ups and downs of personal relationships, and the rewards of lasting friendships."-- "School Library Journal," starred review.

An ALA Notable Chil
Published February 1st 1993 by Yearling Books (first published 1991)

May 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this one on CD- cute, but a little too much romance for elementary.
Katie Fitzgerald
This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

In this conclusion to the Blossoms series, both Mud and Mad Mary are in a lot of trouble. Mud has been accused of eating the class hamster that Junior brought home from school, resulting in a full criminal trial. More seriously, Mad Mary has gone missing, leaving her cane and the bag she uses to carry animal carcasses behind on a trail in the woods, with no indication as to where she has gone. While Vern and Michael tease Junior, and Maggie a
Rena Sherwood
There are a couple of Betsy Byars book I like a lot so I picked this book up out of the library -- NOT realizing it's the fifth book in a series. (Hey, I was too busy to read the blurb before checking out. I live on the edge.) This book made me want to never read the first 4 books. I really don't know what the fuss is about.

The illustrator gets 5 stars. Well done -- except the hamster was supposed to be black, but I'll be generous since the color mention was an in-between-the-line kind of thing
Books Kids Like
The Blossoms have two mysteries to solve. Maggie Blossom and her boyfriend, Ralphie, find Mad Mary's bag by the side of the road. They know something is wrong, because Mary would never leave her collecting bag especially when it contains a dead possum for dinner. When Pap goes to her cave, he finds it empty. Meanwhile, Junior Blossom has received the distinct honor of bringing the classroom hamster home for the weekend. He puts the hamster in a network of tunnels he's dug in the backyard thinkin ...more
Apr 15, 2008 rated it liked it
The fifth book about the Blossom's was a hoot - because we listened to it as a book on tape, and we acually listened to it first. It's fun to hear all the characters come to life. In this book, Vern's friend, Michael, convinces him to trespass in Mad Mary's cave. Mad Mary herself is missing, and the Blossoms are the only ones who seem to notice or care. Junior is angry with Mud, Pap's dog, because he belives that Mud has eaten the school hamster he was caring for. As usual, there's a lot going o ...more
Ruth Ann
Jul 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is the fifth book in a series about the Blossom Family. This installment focuses on the family dog named Blossom. When Junior brings home the classroom pet for the weekend, the hamster ends up missing. Evidence discovered makes it appear that the dog might have eaten the hamster. The family puts the dog on "trial for murder". There is also a "B" plot involving Mad Mary, an unusual neighbor who is missing.

I found this book humorous, but I thought the plot jumped around and some less experien
Rose Goodwin
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is great for middle grade children. It has a lot of twists and turns because the author jumps from one instance to another and then back again. It could be hard for some readers because of this. The reader would need to have a good memory or take notes, if the reader takes a break, because the author jumps around so much. However, if the reader can keep up, this book will be hard to put down. It held my interest the entire time. It does have a few innocent kisses in the story between a ...more
Shelli Gheen
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Wanted...Mud Blossom (1991) by Betsy Byars is the story of mystery after mystery at the Blossom house. First, the class hamster, which Junior is taking care of for the weekend, disappears with evidence pointing to the dog, Mud. Then Mad Mary disappears. Finally, there may be a murder about to happen. What a weekend for the Blossoms!

Themes: Mystery; Friendship; Justice

Ways to use this book with children:
*Hold a mock trial to determine Mud's guilt or innocence (before you find out what really happ
Laura Verret
Dec 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Junior has a surprise. It’s a big surprise. It’s a surprise for everybody – his brother Vern, his sister, Maggie, his mother, Vicki, and his grandfather, Pap Blossom. Nobody gets to know what the surprise is until Friday, because that's when the surprise happens. It’ll be such a surprise!

And a great surprise it is – at least, Junior thinks so. You see, he gets to bring the school hamster, Scooty, home for the weekend. How wonderful! But the grand surprise turns sour when Scooty disappears and Mu
Kris - My Novelesque Life

"Mud, Pap Blossom's dog is in deep trouble. Scooty, the school hamster Junior brought home for the weekend is missing--and the evidence points right to Mud. Meanwhile, Maggie and Ralphie find Mad Mary's bag and cane by the side of the road--everybody knows she'd never leave them behind voluntarily. With disappearances, kidnapping, and a possible murder, it's anything but dull at the Blossoms' this weekend." (From Amazon)

I loved the Blossom family as they were crazier than my own family. I
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was another book that I read with my 8-year-old son for his Battle of the Books contest at school. He and I both loved it. It was very funny and cute. The story is quite lighthearted but includes a little mystery, a love story, and even a murder trial. It was and fun one to read out loud-- and my husband even ended up in the room listening and chuckling with us. I had no idea that this was part of a series and will definitely be picking up the others to read to my son.
Stephanie A.
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This is the only Blossom book I've ever read, but what an unforgettable cover. The actual story is not nearly so much about the dog as I remembered, as opposed to the entire family, but one thing that did stand out was the writing style. I kept thinking what a great book it would make for elementary-age kids, both for fun and as a group discussion book, even if it doesn't personally hold the same appeal for me as an adult (which I think truly great children's books do).
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
When we listened to this book in the car, we had no idea that it was #5 in a series of books. We loved every minute of it. We were delighted to find that we had many more adventures to read/listen to about the Blossom family. These books are what we will be listening to this summer. Highly recommended.
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it

An ALA Notable Children's Book, A School Library Journal Best Book of the Year, Edgar Allan Poe Mystery Writers Award, A Child Study Children's Book Committee: Children's Book of the Year, A Junior Literary Gu...more
Madeline Beck
Aug 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
At the beginning there are too many plots and they don't relate to eachother in the slightest.
Aug 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-ya
Cute story just not as good as some of the other j/ya books I've recently read.
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I got this book from the library for my granddaughter, and read it myself. Cute and well written.
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was ok.
Nov 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
what chapter books for young readers should be. fun, well-drawn characters and pictures, slightly off-kilter. i read these for pleasure as much as research, though i do wish i'd read them as a kid.
Oct 10, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
GRRRRR! I read if for battle of the books, but don't read it if you don't want your eyes burned out of your head! Worst book ever!(After Twilight, of course. That was a train wreck!)
Apr 29, 2009 added it
Shelves: jar-fiction
Jun 12, 2007 added it
Shelves: childhood
Don't be afraid of hermits living in caves by the river.
Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner)
Can't really remember much about this book other than the fact it was a favorite of mine and we had a golden so I had to have this book.
Jun 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
I think my favorite character was Junior.
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really cute story to read at bedtime to my daughter. It made me chuckle for than a few times.
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Fun characters. Need to get kids to read this.
Look for previous books in the series.
Kristie Stauffer
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not really a favorite. A little too much weirdness going on. I haven't read the other Blossom family books and it took me a while to figure out the family dynamics.
Danika Boltz
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very good book!!
Aug 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: betsy-byers
Weird. But I still enjoyed bits and peices of it.
Catherine  Mustread
Apr 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, childrens
Convinced that Mud is responsible for the disappearance of the school hamster that he was taking care of for the weekend, Junior Blossom is determined that the dog should be tried for his crime.
  • Journey to America (Journey to America, #1)
  • Where's the Dragon?
  • Words of Stone
  • Cassie Binegar
  • My Naughty Little Sister's Friends (Naughty Little Sister, #5)
  • Clementine and the Spring Trip (Clementine, #6)
  • The Night Journey
  • Jennings Goes To School
  • A Bear Named Trouble
  • Monkey Island
  • Alone in His Teacher's House
  • The Ghost Wore Gray (Nina Tanleven, #2)
  • A Blind Guide to Stinkville
  • Attaboy, Sam!  (Sam Krupnik, #2)
  • Sam Samurai (Time Warp Trio, #10)
  • Snot Stew
  • Who Stole the Wizard of Oz?
  • The Thingamabob
Betsy Byars has written over sixty books for young people. Her first published in 1962 and since then she has published regularly. Her books have been translated into nineteen languages and she gets thousands of letters from readers in the United States and from all over the world.

She has won many awards. Among them are the Newbery Medal in 1971 for her novel The Summer of the Swans, the American
More about Betsy Byars...

Blossom Family (5 books)
  • The Not-Just-Anybody Family (Blossom Family, #1)
  • The Blossoms Meet the Vulture Lady (Blossom Family, #2)
  • The Blossoms and the Green Phantom (Blossom Family, #3)
  • A Blossom Promise (Blossom Family, #4)