Start by marking “Wild Card (Raine Benares, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Wild Card (Raine Benares, #0.5)

Wild Card

(Raine Benares 0.5)

My name is Raine Benares. I’m a seeker, a finder of things lost and people missing. I’ve never had to do both in one day, or had this many lives at stake—including mine.

The search for a missing ring leads me to the abduction of eight magically gifted children. Their souls were stolen while they slept, and unless I find those souls by sunrise, their bodies will die.

Both cas
Published November 25th 2014 by NLA Digital

Jewlsbookblog
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve read some of Shearin’s books in the SPI series and really enjoyed them and finally decided to give this series a go. To my delight, I got a kick out of elf/magic seeker Raine and goblin dark mage/casino owner Tam. The story was a nice intro to the series and managed to whet my appetite for more. Even though the ending wrapped up a little to neatly for me, the blend of light humor, magic, and action captivated my interest.
Aly is so frigging bored
The one that started them all....It was bittersweet reading it, but I loved it :)
Jacey
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a prequel novella in Lisa Shearin's Raine Benares series detailing her first meeting with Tam Nathratch, the one-time dark Goblin mage turned casino owner. Raine is a magical seeker, finding goods and people that have gone astray. Between them Raine, Tam and Raine's piratical cousin, Phelan, get involved with reclaiming jewels that have been used to store the stolen souls of children.

It's a fairly straightforward plot, but Shearin's strengths are character, pace and voice and this has al
So, I Read This Book Today
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not long ago I found Lisa Shearin through her SPI Files series books, The Grendel Affair and The Dragon Conspiracy. I enjoyed those books greatly, so nosed around to see if I thought I would like any of her other books as well. It made sense – if you like one series, you will in all likelihood enjoy the author’s other work as well. Looking at Lisa’s page on Goodreads, I noted that the first novella of the Raine Benares series, Wild Card (Raine Benares .05) was available, and was the perfect way ...more
Olga Godim
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
This novella was a short but jolly ride with one of my favorite fantasy characters, Raine Benares, an honest red-headed elf and a magical seeker from a family of thieves and pirates. It’s a prequel to the author’s series about Raine, although the novella was published only recently, after all the other books in the series.
The beginning is innocuous: Raine’s client asks her to find a missing ring. The client’s husband stole it for his gambling debts. Unfortunately, complications arise as soon as
Kate McMurry
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A terrific prequel to an exciting fantasy series

This is a fascinating series with a "kick ass" heroine, beautiful, red-haired elf, Raine Benares. Raine is a seeker of moderate magical powers in a world filled with magical creatures until, in Book 1 of the series, she unexpectedly gains a frightening degree of power from an unexpected source and gains as allies two gorgeous, extremely magically powerful males.

I had read the first book in this fascinating fantasy series prior to discovering this p
MJ
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really wanted a little Tam/Raine goings on, but this didn't fill my need as much as I hoped. Their relationship went a bit too fast and wasn't passionate for all the swiftness. The story definitely delivered on being interesting (since we kinda knew the gist from flashbacks). So, Raine is hired to find the ring of a Goblin lady, she tracks it to Sirens club and meets dark Goblin mage Tam. When the possessor of the ring turns out to be putting children's souls in jewels for a high-stakes game, ...more
Amyiw
Nice short showing the meeting of Tam. I think it might be a lead in to his book that is coming soon. I really liked Tam and in this you see the start of the attraction that they have. We know where that goes if you've read the series. Phalen is also in this but very cursorily. Quick and to the point.
Nichole ~Bookaholic~
Loved it......loved hearing how Tam & Raine met. I miss this world so now I have to start the adventure all over again
Katyana
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, fantasy, short
I always love Raine stories, and this was a nice bit of backstory - we've heard about the encounter where Raine met Tam, about 2 years before the events of book 1, but it's nice to see in all it's detail.

I feel like Raine was pushed into a more underpowered state, though, than she actually was in book 1 (before the Saghred). In the opening of that book, when encountering a pack of Khrynsani mages casting a nasty spell, she feels confident enough in her shielding (again, pre-Saghred) - we're told
Alicia
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
This is the story of how Raine and Tam first met. If you have read the Raine Benares series then you already know the basics, but as a fan of the series, it was great to see their first interaction and see the chemistry between the characters. It also goes a long way in explaining why Raine always trusted Tam, despite his past.
The Neighbor
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For once, a very good Novella.

There are precious few authors out there that can actually write a good short story or novella. It's nice to know that I can add another name to that list.

Other things that Ms. Shearin knows how to do 'very' well are;
1. Make characters so realistic and approachable with full backstories that you just know they are going step out of her world and set up shop in ours.
2. Come up with a plot line that is compelling, making you want to find out what's going to happen, b
Jane
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my type of story. I really am gonna read the series now. I wanted to anyways but this story confirms it.
Firefly Hiddleston
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm really excited to delve in these series. Cannot wait to read more about Raine.
Ariel
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, adult
Fun, fun, fun. I'm a little in love with Phaelan and Tam.

....Okay, a lot in love.
Juliet
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
Bittersweet as a prequel cuz the series is complete but fun none the less
Dasha
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
While I have enjoyed SPI Files, I don't find the prose of the Raine Benares books sufficiently well-crafted to keep my interest.
Dena
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful novella about how Tam and Raine's friendship began while saving innocent souls.
Tünde Kasza tóth
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
There could have been a little more action and a little less description. It was still good.
Nervous Nellie Justice
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reviewed
For full review go to: http://wp.me/p5Q4Dh-k3

The story starts out with Raine finding a client that needs to find a piece of jewelry. Usually this kind of thing is right up Raine’s alley, but complications set in when Raine finds out the gems stolen from her client are used as vessels. Each gem is holding a kidnapped child’s soul. Raine and her cousin Phaelan join forces to get the gems back and the children released. Pretty straight forward? Uh…no. That’s just the short game. The long game has t
Mary B. Grove
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story, but lightweight

This tale explains how two of Shearin's main characters, Raine and Tam, joined forces, and while it's a fun read, like many prequels it doesn't really fit. The main problem is that the start of Tam and Raine's relationship is too close to what it becomes in much later books - there's too much comfort and trust, not enough edge and uncertainty. Then, too, Raine is too uncomplicatedly good - also an issue in the other books. It just doesn't really fit when she's grown
Cherry
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really miss Raine, Mychael, Tam & the gang, so it was wonderful to read Wild Cards.
We learn that Raine has always been a magnet for trouble, due in part to her sense of justice, and that when her seeker abilities are in play she can sense trapped souls.. which eventually leads to the Saghred in her future.
After reading Wild Cards, I wish Raine had taken Tam up on his amorous pursuits.
Look forward to more.
Sandra
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this because I have been missing Raine & Co and because it was great to get some background to the relationship between Raine & Tam. When we meet them in Magic Lost Trouble Found they have obviously known each other for a while and have a level of trust. It was great to see where it all began. Also Phaelan. Want MORE of these stories. only next time we need the addition of Piaras.
Davinia
Dec 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This novella was nice, but no more. I liked the lead and her "interest" and her cousin was a nice side character. What is keeping me from starting the series is the love triangle. Really, I've got no idea what the appeal is. I had hope for a nice new series to read but after detecting the triangle-thing it's a no go for me.
Jenny
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun and fast addition to the Raine Benares series. I enjoyed seeing the beginning of Tam and Raine's relationship and how seamlessly the story fit into the hints throughout the rest of the series. Now I need to reread the series again to quench the thirst for Shearin's writing that this book has reawakened.
Merideth
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This book was interesting in the fact that we get to see Tam and Raine's 1st meeting. However I was very disappointed that it didn't show any of there person relationship. While the book leaves the possibility of a blooming relationship i still felt cheated on that front.
D.F. Jules
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wondered about the story of how Raine and Tam met so this was a delightful book for me. I've forgotten how much I love these series; humor, magic, sassy repartee, action, romance, it has it all. Have to reread the series all over again.
Sarah Leenart
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
A really great fun read with plenty of world building that had me wanting to know more. Raine was a fantastic main character and the story was tense and action packed for a novella. I look forward to getting started on the series. Unfortunately not available on kindle in the UK :-(
Lea Bourg'
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pfioulala
A short-story that tells us how Tam and Raine met for the first time ...
Two things:
- I'm ULTRA FAN of Phaelan =D I sooo want to be a pirate later =)
- Tam was just PFIOULALALA <3 (My only complaint is that there has not been a single kiss / hot & steamy scene ><)
Karen
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved it ,it took awhile to remember what had gone on in the other 6 books in the series & it was nice to know how raine met & became friends with Tamnais Nathracht I really found it a great read

• Blade Dance (Cold Iron, #4)
  • Zombie's Bite (Dorina Basarab, #0.1)
  • The Hunger (Rogues of Scotland, #2)
  • Black Dog Series Bundle (Books 1-3)
  • Red Snow (Burkheart Witch Saga #1)
  • The Silver Stag (The Wild Hunt #1)
  • A Coldness in the Blood (Dracula Series, #10)
  • The Lightning God's Wife (Master of Crows, #1.2)
  • One Hell of a Ride (InCryptid, #0.02)
  • Cloud City (Anna Strong Chronicles, #8.5)
  • Treasure of Lima (Rogue Angel, #46)
  • Demon's King (High Demon #3)
  • Beary Overdue (Polar Bliss, #1)
  • Be Fairy Game (Starfig Investigations, #2)
  • Perfect Mate (Shifters Unbound, #4.25)
  • Miles to Go (Sylvan Investigations, #1)
  • Monster in My Closet (Monster Haven, #1)
  • Frosted (Moreno & Hart Mysteries, #2.5)
Lisa is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Raine Benares novels and The SPI Files.

Lisa is a voracious collector of fountain pens, teapots & teacups both vintage and modern. She lives on a small farm in North Carolina with her husband, four spoiled-rotten retired racing greyhounds, and enough deer and woodland creatures to fill a Disney movie.

Raine Benares (9 books)
  • Magic Lost, Trouble Found (Raine Benares #1)
  • Armed & Magical (Raine Benares #2)
  • The Trouble with Demons (Raine Benares #3)
  • Bewitched & Betrayed (Raine Benares #4)
  • Con & Conjure (Raine Benares #5)
  • All Spell Breaks Loose (Raine Benares, #6)
  • Wedding Bells, Magic Spells (Raine Benares, #7)
  • Treasure & Treason (Raine Benares, #8)
  • Ruins & Revenge (Raine Benares, #9)