Start by marking “The Bazaar of Bad Dreams” as Want to Read:
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams

The Bazaar of Bad Dreams

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  39,095 ratings  ·  4,297 reviews
A master storyteller at his best—the O. Henry Prize winner Stephen King delivers a generous collection of stories, several of them brand-new, featuring revelatory autobiographical comments on when, why, and how he came to write (or rewrite) each story.

Since his first collection, Nightshift, published thirty-five years ago, Stephen King has dazzled readers with his genius a
Published November 3rd 2015 by Scribner (first published 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Bazaar of Bad Dreams, please sign up.
Chris H As some have already commented, King's style doesn't fit into one folder. Unless you're (as King refers to his following) a constant reader or are at…moreAs some have already commented, King's style doesn't fit into one folder. Unless you're (as King refers to his following) a constant reader or are at least quite familiar with his work, you'd never know that The Stand, The Green Mile and Rita Hayworth came from the same imagination. (less)
Irwin Fletcher Being a dog lover and a Stephen King fan is kind of a bummer. Anytime there's a dog in a story the chances are good that it's going to meet with a…moreBeing a dog lover and a Stephen King fan is kind of a bummer. Anytime there's a dog in a story the chances are good that it's going to meet with a grisly end. Recently there was a pretty big uproar over a dog getting killed in the new adaptation of The Mist, I'm guessing those people weren't too familiar with King's work prior to watching. King isn't afraid to kill animals, little kids or whatever. In fact the more uncomfortable it makes people the better. Which is why I'm guessing there have been quite a few stories which deal with rape/molestation. (less)

·  39,095 ratings  ·  4,297 reviews

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
This book is a big old chunk...and so worth the price of admission.

I've never thought of Stephen King as a straight up horror author. He is more than that, he scares the crud out of me with his remarkable ability to look at humanity. He seems to be getting to (for me anyways) to a point in his life where he is debating life and what happens to us after..these stories seem to have that theme to some of them.

These stories are mostly stories that have at some time or another been published somewhe
Nicholas Sparks
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yet another wonderful collection of short stories, some with twists and turns you simply don’t see coming. Plus, it features autobiographical comments on when, why and how he came to write (or rewrite) each story.
Kemper
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Hey, it’s a collection of Stephen King stories out just in time for….Thanksgiving? Really, Scribner? You had a book from the master of modern horror in your pipeline and decided to release it three days after Halloween? I’m no marketing guru, but I think this may be a clue as to why the publishing industry is struggling so much these days.

On to the review...

Any long time Stephen King fan should be willing to admit that the man can shit the bed every once in awhile, and when he writes a real clun
Carol
4+ Stars Within the pages of the twenty stories presented in THE BAZAAR OF BAD DREAMS, there is some really great stuff and only four that I'd read previously, (that I enjoyed again) but the very best part of this collection (for me) were the secret tidbits of information SK discloses about himself and his life in the initial introduction and prior to each tale; for example, Dam! Wouldn't you just love to run into STEPHEN KING in the grocery store.....well one lady does and the outcome is hilari ...more
Char
Not exactly a thrilling collection is The Bazaar of Bad Dreams.

One of the main reasons why is because I have purchased a couple of these stories already, for $3.00 or $4.00, each. (UR and Mile 81, I'm looking at you.) I think it really sucks to be asked to pay for these again, along with a bunch of other stories that were already published elsewhere.

Aside from that gripe, I also wasn't impressed with the stories themselves. Yes, it's disappointing that most of them were not horror, but I'm okay
Bradley
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I figure I'd better put a bit of effort into this review, so rather than just throwing out a few impressions from just a few of the stories, I'll throw out impressions for ALL the stories. :) Stephen King is still a POWER in the world, for good and ill, and more importantly, he's a damn great writer. I don't care too much for short stories in general, but I do tend to enjoy them when I finally get my arm twisted.

Overall impression: SK's characterizations are King. Memorable, conflicted, and abov
Anne
I waited so, so long for this book, and while I cannot say I disliked it, I do feel that it wasn't as strong as some of Mr. King's other collections. There were some stories here I loved, and some that, as some of Mr. King's more colorful characters might say, "Sucked the big one." I don't want to bog you down in Reviewland, so I'll just give a sentence or two for each, and an individual rating. It may or may not average out to four stars, but I'm giving it one for the cover. Sue me.

Mile 81 - Y
Jonathan Janz
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For some authors, creating a large body of work doesn't mean quality has to suffer. Unfortunately, there are readers and critics who make exactly that assumption. As a result, when you're as prolific as Stephen King, you're prone to the following dangers:

--Folks using verbs like "spewing," "spitting," "cranking out," or "vomiting" in reference to the frequency with which you're published.

--More books mean more opportunities for criticism. In that vein, many readers tend to forget ten great exp
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

I'm not going to go into each and every story, you can read that from some other reviews :) Although I liked most of the stories there are four that are my favorites and I will list those!

THIS ONE WAS MY FAVORITE

This one tells about the extremes a man that loves his wife will go and it's so... just ick.. and I love it so much! :-)

I loved this one because I love the idea of a monster car and what that car did! I don't really care about the stupidity of s
Navidad Thélamour
I have to say, The Bazaar from Uncle Steve was a bit of a letdown. Stephen King is, obviously, one of the most-hyped authors of today, which is why the fall from so high can be so hard for his readers. This collection of previously published works, in itself, had a range like open arms – from eye-roll-warranting clunkers that never took off and seemed rather (dare I say it?) juvenile for such a master wordsmith to others that truly took my breath away and really explored the mental and emotional ...more
Will M.
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Here's to the only book I read this September, because I'm not considering "The Grownup" by Gillian Flynn as a novel read this month. I'm already lagging way behind on my reading goal but it's fine. I've come to realize that I seriously don't have time to read anymore nowadays. It's annoying when I choose a bad novel because I stop at some point and feel that a huge amount of my time has been wasted. I'm really glad that this collection of short stories made me feel fulfilled. I enjoyed most of ...more
Matthew
After averaging out my ratings, this book came out at almost exactly 4 stars. Check out my story by story reviews below.

Mile 81 - 4 stars - I read this when it first came out by itself. Unique and creepy - I like when King writes about monster cars. I didn't care for the resolution - too quick and convenient. But, still a good Story

Premium Harmony - 2.5 Stars - Just a couple of hours in Ray's life with some seriously unfortunate developments - nothing too exciting. Not really a beginning, or a
Zoeytron
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: public-library
A goodly collection of short stories written by the master tale spinner, Stephen King. Not a single clinker in the batch, but as always, some with more of a bite than the others.

If you are one of those individuals who continues to drag your feet about getting an e-reader, you may have been right all along. UR certainly suggests it. This one was full of tasty Easter eggs, and speaks to the Paradox Law.

Morality is one of the yarns with embedded teeth. Disturbing.

Inside these pages you will come
Fabian {Councillor}
Stephen King's latest short story collection consists of twenty (more or less) original stories and novellas, once again proving that King's imagination has not yet ceased to create new horrifying and stunning scenarios which he is able to put so easily and fluently into words. However, there are quite a few reasons for why this collection generally rather disappointed me, even though King managed to hide some true gems in here.

I am going to talk about some of them in depth in the rest of this r
Justin
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I think every time I review a Stephen King book, I write something about how he is a much better writer when he isn’t doing horror. Where this collection of short stories excels is when King introduces the next story to the reader. His introductions here and in all of his books make you feel like you’re just hanging out at the bar with him, enjoying a delicious craft beer, while he breaks down his writing process for you. That stuff is great, but unfortunately, at least in this case, most of his ...more
Brandon
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lately I’d been going through a bit of a reading slump. I picked up and put down a number of novels before deciding on King’s latest short story collection, The Bazaar of Bad Dreams. While I skipped Uncle Stevie’s most recent release, “Finder’s Keepers” – I wasn’t big on its predecessor Mr. Mercedes – I trusted in King to snap me out of my funk. Luckily, my trust was not misplaced.

Within King’s latest short fiction anthology are twenty tales featuring everything from a mystical Kindle that acts
Erin
I don't know how long this Stephen King binge is gonna last but I'm enjoying it. I thought I'd be sick of him by now but no I just keep right on reading, I already have the next book picked out. The Bazaar of Bad Dreams wasn't really on my radar but last Friday I was browsing Half Price Books and saw it for $4 and bought it. I didn't even read what it was about until I got home(when I'm in a book buying frenzy I'm dangerous) I was very pleased to find out it was collection of stories. I've said ...more
Edward Lorn
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
There isn't much left to say about Stephen King that I haven't already said in the past 60+ reviews I've done of his work. I put this collection off as long as I felt possible. I wanted to finish it before Hill's The Fireman comes out tomorrow, and King's End of Watch drops next month. But to tell the truth, fellow Constant Readers, I procrastinated as long as I did because... I'm kinda scared. After Revival, I honestly doubt we'll see another standalone Stephen King novel. I will not repeat my ...more
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I just realized I haven’t reviewed this book yet even though I finished it weeks ago. (I’m so far behind!)

I listened to this on audio and it was phenomenally done. It had a full cast- Stephen King reads the introductions himself (as well as one story) which really gave me that cozy feeling of being read to. And the rest of the cast did a great job.

Most of these stories were excellent. I don’t want to review them all because some were quite short, but my stand out favorite was far and away: Drunk
Ira I
Oct 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
There's something about reading an author that was once great that's akin to watching a power hitter stepping up to the plate in the waning years of his career. There he is, a big man, and the bat still looks like a toothpick in his hands. He's perfectly capable of knocking it out of the park. You've seen him do it plenty of times, so every time he goes up there, it's electric, you just have to watch. The first pitch comes, he swings hard...and misses. With the seond pitch he makes contact, it's ...more
Raeleen Lemay
My favorite stories from this collection were:

-Mile 81
-Bad Little Kid
-Morality
-Ur
-Obits
-Summer Thunder

The rest, (including two poems) were a bit of a snooze-fest for me. Looking back through the table of contents to list my favorites, I saw some titles and actually couldn't remember what the stories were about. But the ones I listed I REALLY liked, so all in all it's a fairly solid collection. I also skipped listening to Drunken Fireworks, since I've already listened to that one. Some of the bes
Richard
*3.5 Stars*
It's always an event when a new Stephen King short story collection is released. Much of his best material comes in the short form and he's proven time and again to be one of the best short story writers working these days. I adored his previous collection, Just After Sunset , and I couldn't wait to jump into this one! I had read about a third of the stories when they were previously published, including the two novellas in the collection, the inventive and entertaining magic Kindle
Lyn
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
King’s 2015 collection of short work - stories and two poems - was a boatload of fun. This writer has a special place in our literati as not just a writer of the scary and creepy, but also a keen observer of who we are right now, his characterizations are indelibly spot on and remarkable.

Some of the work that I especially liked include:

"Batman and Robin Have an Altercation" is a favorite, not magical realism but rather King’s own blend of horrific realism.

“Afterlife” is reminiscent of the 1991
Ron
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Damn, I love when a book beats my expectations. I enjoyed a bunch in this collection of 20 varied stories.

My personal favorites:

Batman and Robin Have an Altercation - A son taking care of his old man with dementia. Well, Vice-versa Batman.
The Dune - The Judge has been visiting this little island just off the shore of his home all his life - for a hell of a good reason. Kicker of an ending too.
Bad Little Kid - This little fucker deserves some pay back. Let's hope he gets it.
Ur - A Kindle with ti
José
Reseña de todos los relatos y de la colección en general en el blog: Click aquí

The Bazaar of Bad Dreams is a collection of 18 short stories and 2 poems by Stephen King and, as with every collection he has published, it's a mixed bag: there were some very good stories and a couple that were kind of lame. Still, the only one I really hated was a poem because I'm not a big fan of those.

Even though I think that none of these stories deserves a five star rating, it's a very solid collection that kept
Quentin Wallace
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wish Stephen King would do a short story collection each year, because it always seems like too long to wait between volumes! This was a good collection of stories with plenty of variety. He seems to be getting a little more poignant lately as some of the stories were sad, and not because of horror. As for the stories, briefly:

Mile 81 was a cool story about a killer car, but really nothing that grand. Still fun though, and the type of horror King does best.

Premium Harmony was probably my least
Anuradha
I think there comes a point of time in your life when you realise you've read too much Stephen King, and that point for me is now. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge fan, but this was tedious, oh so tedious. I'm not going to delve into the particulars of any of the stories, but I will tell you that Batman and Robin have an Altercation was just bad. I really liked Ur and Under the Weather. The others were just average, and Tommy just pissed me off. Like I wanted to burn it piss me off. Mile 81 ...more
Paul E. Morph
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my humble opinion, Stephen King is the greatest living short story writer, and this new collection of tiny tales is yet more evidence of this.

These stories are varied in scope and, for the most part, moving and/or clever. I always enjoy King's short introductions to his tales, too, giving the reader some insight into the event(s) that inspired him to write them.

The only reason I've given this collection four stars instead of five is that I'd already spent good money on a number of these stori
Vanessa J.
How about a good Stephen King collection of short stories for starting the year? Well, actually I read most of it on December and I finished it today, but anyway, here's the review:

Welcome, welcome! Stephen King has brought us a new collection of short stories, and it is varied! Prepare yourselves for lots of disturbing moments, because some of these products stories will sure make you shrink.

Let me tell you all of these stories have four things in common, and they make it quality product:

The
Kandice
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall - 4.35 stars

Mile 81 - 3 stars

I really liked this story until the end. King is not a "tied up with a bow ending" kind of guy and I love that about him, but the kids at the end of this one drove me crazy. What the hell was going to happen to those kids? I almost wish he had killed them too. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Premium Harmony - 3 stars

This was a clever little tale, but it was a little too...little. I wanted more.

Batman and Robin Have an Altercation - 5 stars

I loved thi
Stephen King Fans: The Bazaar of Bad Dreams 178 721 May 27, 2019 04:17PM
Reading Recommend...: Want to scream? 1 1 Apr 05, 2018 11:57PM
Around the Year i...: The Bazaar of Bad Dreams, by Stephen King 5 50 Mar 29, 2017 11:54PM
Goodreads Librari...: Page Count Correction 3 17 Mar 20, 2017 06:36PM
Play Book Tag: The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King - 4 stars 5 21 Nov 06, 2016 11:13AM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: The Bazaar Of Bad Dreams 1 2 Aug 24, 2016 01:07PM

• Charlie the Choo-Choo
  • Dark Screams: Volume One
  • He Is Legend: An Anthology Celebrating Richard Matheson
  • Night-Gaunts and Other Tales of Suspense
  • Wolverton Station
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Four
  • Best New Horror 22 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #22)
  • Worse Than Myself
  • Crawlspace
  • The Ones That Got Away
  • The Two Sams
  • House of Fear
“When a long book succeeds, the writer and reader are not just having an affair; they are married.” 39 likes
“I write for love, but love doesn’t pay the bills.” 32 likes