Start by marking “Rise (Rock Solid, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rise (Rock Solid, #1)

Read Book

Rise

(Rock Solid #1)

Rise - The redemption story of a rock star going straight(er) through the love of a good(ish) woman.

Acclaimed literary biographer Elizabeth Winston writes about long-dead heroes. So bad-boy rock icon Zander Freedman couldn’t possibly tempt her to write his memoir. Except the man is a mass of fascinating contradictions–manipulative, honest, gifted, charismatic and morally
Published January 14th 2015 by Karina Bliss

To ask other readers questions about Rise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise

Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
“What do you call on when life gets tough?”
“Alcohol, denial and fast women.”
She smiled. “Seriously.”
“I am serious.” Zander passed the cigarette inches under his nose to breathe in the acrid scent of tobacco, then regretfully dropped it in the trash.
“What would your answer be?”
“Prayer. Conscience. Faith,” she said without a trace of embarrassment.

You can also read my review HERE.

Two words: Zander Freedman.

Cue screaming fangirls, flailing fangirls, fangirls who deserves to be restraint.
Nalini Singh
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-love
I'm moving some of my blog book recs onto Goodreads, and I couldn't leave out Rise, an amazing book by my friend and awesome author Karina Bliss.

It's emotional and intense and I couldn't put it down. Her rock star is, as the blurb says, "manipulative, honest, gifted, charismatic and morally ambiguous" - he's a fascinating character to get to know, right along with his heroine, the biographer he talks into writing his story. I hope you'll check this book out!
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
This story isn't about a young rock star 'hanging out' with the groupies and the whole sex, drugs and rock -n- roll. Oh no, this is an older rock star, Zander, that's 'hanging out' with the groupies, sex and rock -n- roll but no drugs. A been there, done that and now I'm gonna do it even better rock star. One with a story to tell and a biographer he needs to convince to write his story.

Elizabeth is that biographer but she's never (for the most part) done anything like this...she's a historical
Beatrix
Rise is currently free. Don't miss this awesome book. Amazon link

*This review is posted on Way Too Hot Books.*

Well, well.. this was such a pleasant surprise! This is what I call good writing, people!

First, I want to thank my friend Iva for recommending me the book. She said that the banter between the MCs reminded her of our favorite Connor and Rose from Kiss the Sky, so of course I wanted to check it out. Besides, who doesn’t love a good flirt-fight? ;)

Now, where to begin? Maybe from the thing
Amanda
5 "Rock star romance with a different take" stars

Have you ever came across a rock star romance that isn't filled with insta-lust, sex, booze, groupies, profanity and OTT drama? A hero that doesn't walk with a perpetual hard-on and a heroine who isn't always wet.

I think might just found the my favorite rock star in Rise.

Zander Freedman, a vet rock star, who is pushing 40, trying to resurrect his band reputation while battling with his ailing health condition. With his tour and endless promo, he
Sam (AMNReader)
4.5
Bullet list
*Funny
*Realistic for a rocker romance
*strong relationship and character growth: no perfection here
*Great supporting characters
*A very sweet and incredibly memorable scene or three

-resolution took a bit too long/got long in the end

Karina Bliss has my attention.
MELISSA *Mel Reader*
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
REVIEW TO COME
4 "I'm Crazy About You" Stars!
(BR with Sharon)

photo 26c3ca9b-6bd1-4560-9200-02e151c7d018_zpskhy807ul.jpg

photo 8d059e65-d69f-4bc6-8222-ca42f7b0d968_zpsgpxgjxqm.jpg
Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews*
Find This and Other Reviews At Craves The Angst.

Rise is the first book in the Rock Solid series and is an Adult, Rocker Romance written by Karina Bliss. I was gifted a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review through AToMR Tours .

5 Rockin’ Super Stars!
Romantic, Intelligent, Redeeming and Lovely! A Fantastic Story From Beginning to End!

...RAGE against the dying of the light...

The Review:
This was my first book by this author and I am completely sold on her writing talents! Rise w
Beth
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Aging rock star, Zander Freedman, is going back on a highly controversial tour. Part and parcel of this come back is biography. Zander chooses a historical biographer that he admires but also with the thoughts that he can control her with his bad boy wiles.

Elizabeth is an acclaimed biographer, when she is offered the chance to write Zander's autobiography she could never imagine they changes that are about to take place in her life.

Zander never considered having one woman in his life, but the m
Loz
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing

i loved this book! great storyline with some really fantastic and well written characters. a mature and smartly written take on the rockstar genre while keeping itself quite fun and light hearted but with a few of those delicious moments of drama sprinkled in.

would recommend to anyone looking for something with either a rockstar bad boy, a strong independent heroine, a mature aged couple or just an enjoyable read with some great character development.

Sunny
ARC Review

Originally posted at Love Affair with an E-Reader

There is always a special thrill to discover a new-to-me author whose book makes me stand up and take notice. I signed up for this blog tour because I like to pepper my romance reading with rock –n- roll stories. The personalities, the excesses, the challenges of fame, are a wonderful indulgence that I like to occasionally partake. Rise is that, but so much more.

What is the “More” (a.k.a. Things I Love About This Book)

The Story

There is
Gaufre
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has everything I wish for in a contemporary romance: characters who are good at what they do and act like adults, a relationship that develops from mutual respect, fun dialogues, and lovely writing in general.
Steelwhisper
This has everything: excellent prose, great interesting plot, wonderful and realistic characters including secondary characters, suspense, intrigue, warmth and humour. One of the few contemporary romances which convinced me.

Wholeheartedly recommended!
*The Angry Reader*
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I feel like this is a review that’s going to be full of “nots”. And this book doesn’t deserve that. So let’s get em over right now. This is not your typical rockstar romance. This is not full of cliches. This is not insta-lust. This is not a dim-witted heroine denying denying denying whilst stumbling stupidly forward after a bad man. This is not sex and drugs and rock and roll. This is not a stupid book.

What this is? It’s smart. It’s funny. It’s sweet. It’s two self-aware people falling in love
namericanwordcat
If you like watching a rake reform Rock Star style, you will really adore this book.

Karina Bliss is a great write who creates complex characters and engaging plots.

The hero, Zander, is not thoughtful. He is driven and single minded. However, he changes and it is as he changes that the heroine falls in love with him.

There is the couple that center of the storm of this book with wonderful developing characters surrounding them.

The heroine and heroine are full adults with all the baggage and lay
Kristiej
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

I discovered Karina Bliss with What the Librarian Did, loved it, got all her backlist and have read every new book since then so it was a given that I would read Bliss.

We first get to know Zander in Librarian and he's a first class, egotistical, selfish jerk. And he didn't really improve much in the next couple of books he appeared in. So I wasn't sure how I would react to him in Bliss and for at least the first half of the book it was not in a positive way and it was kind of tough goin
SuperWendy
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this one a lot. While Zander had been a villain in the author's previous book, What The Librarian Did, I thought his other appearances in latter stories (notably, A Prior Engagement) rounded out his character better and he really started to intrigue. Make no mistake, he's still a self-absorbed jackass, but I liked how the author slowly began peeling back layers to him as the romance progressed. Also, nice to see an intellectual, adult heroine fall for a rock star hero and not another ret ...more
Lyuda
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary

Rock born from flame.

I loved the book from its mood-defining cover to a very satisfying ending. Ever since reading What the Librarian Did I became a fan of the author. Rise is a sequel staring Devin’s older brother Zander, a jaded, selfish, vain 40-year-old rock star at the peak of his band resurrection and second coming. He sings to sold-out concerts, travels around the world. His life on the outside is sex, drugs and rock’n’role. But all of this is overshadowed by his secret- he is losing h
Maygirl7
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't expecting this book and author to win me over as completely as they have. I'm a fan and even went out to buy the Harlequin "prequel" What the Librarian Did as soon as I finished and no doubt I'll go out and buy Fall as soon as I'm done. The only problem is stopping myself from reading long enough to cook everything for Thanksgiving.

Elizabeth was a great character. She didn't fall into any of the clichés that you usually see in romance novels. Tough, incisive, sweet, good-humored, fun.
Pamela
Jan 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF 30% in and I just couldn't take it anymore. Holy shit! Absolutely, positively BORING! I've read lots of boring books but this one takes boring to a whole new level. BORING! BORING! BORING!
Saly
Rating 3.25 stars
Personally I am not a fan of rockstar stories because nothing about the lifestyle appeals to me but I do like this author and Zander is someone I had found interesting in her earlier books. Zander is Zander, arrogant, selfish, morose and a whole other range of emotions. The heroine is not bad too. Overall the book was quite okay for me.
Janga
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I just finished an ARC, and my impulse is to read it again immediately to savor every scene. A full review will be posted at The Romance Dish nearer publication date, so for now I'll just say Rise is an extraordinary, unforgettable book. Don't miss it.
Dragana
Now this was a pleasant surprise. I grabbed Rise when it was a freebie for Kindle and I didn't have high expectations. But this book was very good romance novel.
+ Mature, middle-aged characters.
+ Classic bad-boy and bookworm plot with a twist
+ Naughty rock star with secrets
+ Characters with depth and complex personalities
+ Hero had a sense of humor I liked
+ They don't just jump into bed
As always, there are cliches, but for the points listed above and fun factor I am giving Rise 4 stars.
Moon Love
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rock star romances are all the rage and I love them. I also read them often, and now and again, one will stand out. Rise is one such book. It's not because it's hot or raunchy, or the fact that it's the hottest new/biggest rock star. It's because of the characters and who they are.

Elizabeth and Zander are infinitely likable. I was surprised by the fact that I liked Zander. I think that's because I haven't read the previous book so can't judge him on how he used to be. I only know him as this guy
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
Always suspicious of any book where marrying the rich and famous is the recipe for long term marital success. BUT once you get past that, this is one of the better written of this genre. The character of Elizabeth is compelling and I like the fact that they admitted that the aging rock star, oh hey, had a little cosmetic help to stay that good looking.
Farrah
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
A hot, emotional, and sweet romance, Rise was an excellent read. I was wary going into it, hoping it wouldn't be a cliche rockstar romance but it turned out to be a book with realistic emotion and raw romance. I really enjoyed it.

Elizabeth was a great heroine. Calm, cool, and collected, there was very little that could ruffle her. Other than the fear of letting herself be vulnerable to someone who would very possibly break her heart. But, in the end, her determination allowed her to overcome eve
Melody Cox
Jan 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
What a disappointment!! The only part I cared for was the last 15% or so and it wasn't great. What didn't I like you may ask?
1) Too many sub plots and other people that took away from the actual story line.
2) The ex girlfriend was mentioned almost one hundred times. I know this is his story but approx a hundred times...Ooo! Not cool!
3) He was not just a man-whore, which for me is bad enough, but he was a cheater as well. He can call it an open relationship or whatever he chooses but to me it wa
Honeyeater
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed this book at the beginning but I kinda petered out on it and I've decided not to finish it. Something is off with my reading mojo lately so it probably isn't the fault of this book.
Brandy Painter
I'm rather torn about this one. On the one hand, I really loved all the female characters and their interactions. The friendship that develops between Elizabeth, Kayla, Dimity, and Stormie is really great particularly as they are all so incredibly different. I could read an entire series about them hanging out and being awesome together. But this book is a romance and that didn't work for me at all. I just didn't buy it. Zaner is too much of an ass for too much of the book. I know he hit a botto ...more
Iza
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, rock
Reviewed for http://theereaderjunkie.wordpress.com

I read Beatrix’s review recently and since I’m in the mood for rock stars, I bought this novel. I’ve just finished reading it as I’m writing this review and I’m weighing the possibility of re-reading it in the near future. If you consider that I already have enough books in store for the 3 (ah, make it 4) years to come, that’s saying something !
I’m also afraid that it has relegated my beloved Stage dive series at the second rank of my favorite r
  • Riding Dirty (Dirty Eleven #1)
  • True Devotion (True, #2)
  • Craving Flight
  • Color Me Crazy
  • Over the Hills and Far Away (NOLA's Own, #1)
  • Rock Wedding (Rock Kiss, #4)
  • Outside (Rock Stars, Surf and Second Chances, #1)
  • Unforgiven (Walkers Ford, #1)
  • Secondhand Smoke (Dartmoor, #4)
  • Star Dust (Fly Me to the Moon, #1)
  • Louder Than Love (Love & Steel, #1)
  • Crash Ride (Power Station, #2)
  • Nobody's Hero
  • The One In My Heart
  • Till the Stars Fall (Hometown Memories #3)
  • Call on Me (Loving on the Edge, #8)
  • Backstage with Her Ex
  • This Time Forever
New Zealander Karina Bliss has written a biography for a rock star, swapped identities with her twin, raised three orphaned children with her ex husband, worn a cow costume to a Bachelor and Spinster ball, considered marriage for the sake of a baby, and been mayor of a small town.

Oh wait, that’s her characters.

Outside her imagination, she’s always been a professional writer, first as a travel jo

Rock Solid (5 books)
  • Fall (Rock Solid, #2)
  • Play (Rock Solid, #3)
  • Resurrection (Rock Solid, #4)
  • Redemption (Rock Solid, #5)
“Outside your comfort zone is the only place worth living.” 3 likes
“You're a sex symbol," she began.
"Thanks for noticing.”