Start by marking “The Last Guy Breathing (The Guy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Last Guy Breathing (The Guy, #3)

The Last Guy Breathing

(The Guy #3)

Henry Clueley doesn’t want to be in Glamour, not after moving far away to overcome a difficult, if privileged, childhood. He’s no longer that pudgy kid desperate to escape his hometown, but it still holds painful memories. When his recently widowed mother needs him, however, “dependable Henry” does the right thing—even if it means leaving the IRS to take a boring corporate ...more
Published December 8th 2014 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Last Guy Breathing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Guy Breathing

Start your review of The Last Guy Breathing (The Guy, #3)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

This is my favorite book in the series thus far!

*insert gratuitous gif of half-naked cop here*

We're back in Glamour, Arizona with Henry, who's moved back home to help his mom following his father's death, and Locke, a Glamour police officer whose favorite past time is giving Henry speeding tickets.

Henry recently lost weight but is still insecure about his looks. Henry is a people pleaser and a good boy secretly yearning to be bad.

Locke is all about control; he's a closed book, a kind
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

"He wouldn't want him if he were the last guy breathing."

Really enjoyed this one, it wasn't what I was expecting. Though I have no idea what I was expecting!

It was a fun read and really funny, I loved the banter between Henry and Locke! And the with a splash of mystery!

This one kind of reminded me of Laurel Heights (Laurel Heights, #1) by Lisa Worrall ....minus the murders and the pretending to be gay. Maybe it wasn't so much like it after all. Or maybe it was the banter that reminded me of it.

I loved Locke and Henry together.
Gigi
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Last Guy Breathing is my first read in The Guy series by Skylar M. Cates set in fictional Glamour, Arizona. This one revolves around former chubby teen and unlucky-in-love accountant Henry Clueley, who recently moved back to Glamour from Washington DC to help care for his ailing mother. Henry was the recipient of a fast and dirty blow job at the wedding of a mutual friend by Glamour's newest Sheriff, Deputy Locke, a few months ago and the encounter has left both men embarrassed and angry ...more
Ami
3.75-stars rounded up

I tried a new experience while reading this book – I did a Twitter buddy read with a new friend, Carolyn (@akathereader). We both loved the previous two books in this series so we decided to read this one together. We started reading at almost the same time and went to discuss it back and forth using Twitter direct messages. You should see my inbox. It had hundreds of messages. Because of that, this review would also reflect Carolyn’s thoughts since reading with a buddy
Kade Boehme
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I effing LOVED this book, these guys! Prob my fav from the series. Fabulous job Skylar <3
DaisyGirl
I didn't like Locke

1.5 disappointed stars rounded up to 2.0

Sadly, I'm in the minority here. Many of my GR buddies liked this book best in The Guy series but I felt just the opposite!

First off, I really like The Guy series. I also enjoy Skylar Cates' writing. My qualms with this book can be summed up in one word: Locke. I didn't like him at all. Maybe it's because I've dated his type, you know the I'm-aloof-and-rude-but-it's-a-defense-mechanism-to-protect-myself-so-cut-me-some-slack. We make
Anke
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was the best of the series, so far. Well-rounded, nice mystery, both MCs grew on me. Nice happy ending, although I wouldn't mind to read more about them. Nothing I didn't like, so 5 stars!
BWT (Belen)
Belens Audio Book Review

If I'm objective, and take out my own issues with this story, the rating is 3.5 stars.

Subjectively, this will be going onto my "Hated It" shelf. This is a story that pushed so many of my rage buttons it's really not even fair for me to rate it. So take my rating, and review, with a grain of salt.

flames

Click on the spoiler for my rage spew. (view spoiler)
Meep
Sep 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Dreadful.

Locke is a complete areshole. As the book continues instead of redeeming himself he proves to be more of a jerk. Thinking he 'acted like a jerk there' is not cute or endearing, nor does it make him less of a jerk. He's arrogant, brash, offensive, callous. I don't care how poor his childhood.
And yes he goes by his surname, only telling the other main his first name on the last but one page.

Clueley, is a nervous man who used to be chunky, when he's not being the cute red-head with
Tina
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing

4,5 stars.

Definitely the best of the series so far, I enjoyed Henry and Locke's story. Recommended!

Jewel
I'm trying to decide if I liked The Last Guy Breathing more or less than I did The Guy From Glamour. It's mighty close. For the majority of The Last Guy Breathing, I'd have said this one. However, the whole thing with the suspense side of the story ended up being a lot more convoluted than it needed to be. That's really my only nitpick.

Locke is a good cop. He had a really rough time growing up, though and so he doesn't let himself get close to anyone and he acts like a jerk of the first water
Gina
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am quickly becoming a fan of Skylar Cates writing, this was my fav of the series. LOVE LOVE LOVE!
Sandi ♥'s way too many M/M books
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
LOVED LOVED LOVED! THAT IS ALL. :)
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, mm, bgirls

A review by The Blogger Girls.

I have really enjoyed this series. Each one has been a little different but carries the same sense of something or a certain vibe that surrounds the town of Glamour. We met these guys briefly in The Only Guy where they met at their mutual friends’ wedding. It was but a short steamy hookup which left them both at odds, though for different reasons.

Fast forward to now, Henry is back in town taking care of his mother, and Locke has returned to work at the Sheriff’s
Pjm12
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
As much as this is a romance, it is also a mystery. Locke and Henry's fraud case determine the pace and scope of their relationship, and both are twisty and unpredictable.

We spend a lot of time with the boys' interior angst, as the both try to work out their own feelings about the other, and of course, the risk of revealing those feelings. Locke is particularly vulnerable.

Henry's sweet openness is a wonder to Locke. But it's not easy to let himself trust.

The whodunit takes a couple of twisty
Elspeth
Dec 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: twenty-fifteen, ebook, mmr
What a dissapointment. The mystery. The romance. Ugh...the dialog at the end during the big who done it reveal made me cringe. Nope, just nope.
Trisha Harrington
Loved it so much! Will review later.
namericanwordcat
3.5 Stars

I am very much enjoying this series. We Met Henry in earlier books and it is nice to see him get his happily ever after.

Locke is a bit of a jerk. He stays pretty locked down and judgemental for a bit too long. Henry also assumes too much.

But the pretend romance is fun and the lack of drama around it turning into more is nice. I like watching Henry become more of who he is and Locke taking emotionial risks.

A nice read.
Morgan  Skye
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Henry is an accountant who moved back to Glamour to help his widowed mother. He used to be chubby and now strives hard to keep his new, more fit shape. His dad was a giant jerk, and he’s had real rotten luck with relationships. Until now.

Locke is a hard-nosed cop who moved to Glamour when he got in trouble for whistle-blowing in Phoenix. His family life was also less than stellar and the only family he knows now is his younger brother. He’s gay, but not out and he doesn’t “do” relationships.
Bitchie
I liked this, and I didn't. It took me quite a while to warm up to Locke. He was cold and mean, and he judged Henry way too harshly at the beginning, assuming he was just another rich guy who did whatever he wanted. But I did finally warm up to him, and understood a bit about why he was the way he was. Henry, I liked and felt for from the start.

I wasn't too interested in the case they were working together. It felt like it had a bit too much going on, and I felt there were a few loose ends. For
clear skies
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Henry has grown up with a father who disliked him and a mother who never stood up for him. So he overachieved because he was that overweight kid that no one liked.

Locke grew up with a gambling addictive mother who loved her habit more than her kids. He's a fuck 'em and leave 'em type. Until he meets Henry.

This started off well enough, I liked the love and hate tug of war the MC's had going on. I also liked the fact the author was taking her time to establish them as people in their own right.
A Girl Has No Name
This was the first book I read in this series, but it's perfectly readable as a stand alone book! I liked the tension between Locke and Henry a lot, it made their interaction very interessting! And I definitly liked both of them; I tried to understand Locke's reactions and I think that the background information we got about both their childhood's made their behavior credible! Compared to the MC's, I wasn't able to immediately get into the case. It took me a while to figure out, what everything ...more
ConM
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-romance, crime, 2014
I really liked this, it's the best of the series. Lots of page time between the MCs.

I was afraid it would be one where the have no relationship beyond fighting for the first 75 % of the book. Not the case, they do have a relationship, and fighting :-), from a suitable to me point of the book.

The mystery was good even if the investiagtion was not true to RL. But this is a romance not a police procedural.
Lisa
Henry arrives back in Glamour to look after his mother. Locke is the local deputy with the sheriffs department. Henry is always speeding and so Locke keeps giving him tickets.
Until 1 day they are asked to go undercover to work on a fraud case.
I guess this is a classic enemies to lovers book. Both MCs start off disliking each other but over the course of the book give into their desires and end up in a relationship.
The fraud case was good and kept me guessing to the end.
Kristy Maitz
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Now I can say for sure that Author "Skylar M. Cates " knows how to write unique stories. Each book of "The Guy" series is story for itself.

With 3 book we have romance between a cop and very nice romantic guy. So author went for crime case story plot. It was complex and good written.

I really enjoyed that book and my time spend on it was fulfilled.

Its great work from my point of view.
Mercedes
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it

Loved the passion and relationship development between Locke and Henry. Props to the author for putting some thought into the mystery and not making it SO obvious. However, I felt it was borderline convoluted and too long. By about 70% I was ready to be done with that part of the story. But instead we get a plot twist that really contributed nothing to Locke and Henry's story.
Kristie
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Good, but the "mystery" that the two MC's worked on made the story about them fall down and crumble. It was nice, just not enough and my attention was divided too much between the two story lines.

For the most part, I did enjoy the characters, but I appreciated the little looks into Anthony and Dean's life more.
Bogusia
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
OMG!!!!!!!!!
5 stars for this one my friends :)I am such a happy reader right now.
This is one of my favourite series and it just keeps getting better!
I know it’ll be in my end of year favourites list.
Skylar M. Cates rocks as an author!
Pebbles1374
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Unfortunately a little bit too much case for my liking.
Locke and Henry were really great together and so I'd have preferred to see more of them together. Their banter sometimes .... just great :))
Wish more Romance and a lot of "who did it?".
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dreamspinner Press: The Last Guy Breathing by Skylar M. Cates 1 6 Dec 08, 2014 01:16PM

• The Neon Lawyer
  • Valor on the Move (Valor, #1)
  • Navajo Autumn (A Navajo Nation Mystery #1)
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Flash Rip
  • A Ghost of a Chance
  • Lord James Harrington and the Spring Mystery (Lord James Harrington #2)
  • Bad Company (Bad in Baltimore, #1)
  • If We Could Go Back (Camassia Cove, #6)
  • A Worthy Man (The Men of Halfway House, #5)
  • Kidnapped by the Pirate
  • Evolved
  • Life Lessons (Life Lessons, #1)
  • Locked In Silence (Pelican Bay, #1)
  • Poetry in Motion
  • The Easy Way (The Way Home #1)
  • Where Death Meets the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1)
  • Shock & Awe (Sidewinder, #1)

The Guy (4 books)
  • The Guy From Glamour (The Guy, #1)
  • The Only Guy (The Guy, #2)
  • A Guy's Thanksgiving (The Guy, #3.5)