Start by marking “The Year of Taking Chances” as Want to Read:
The Year of Taking Chances

The Year of Taking Chances

It's New Year's Eve, and Gemma and Spencer Bailey are throwing a house party. There's music, dancing, champagne and all their best friends under one roof. It's going to be a night to remember.

Also at the party is Caitlin, who has returned to the village to pack up her much-missed mum's house and to figure out what to do with her life; and Saffron, a PR executiv
Published January 1st 2015 by Pan (first published December 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Year of Taking Chances, please sign up.
Linda Roberts I agree. There could easily have been a few more chapters. I really felt for the characters and couldn't put the book down. Perhaps a sequel would be…moreI agree. There could easily have been a few more chapters. I really felt for the characters and couldn't put the book down. Perhaps a sequel would be a good idea.(less)

Start your review of The Year of Taking Chances
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I started reading The Year of Taking Chances on New Year’s Eve and it was the perfect book to start 2015 with! The book follows three characters who meet at a New Year’s Eve party and whose lives intertwine as we follow them throughout the year.

My favourite character, and the main character of the story, is Gemma who has a picture perfect life until her husband is in a terrible accident that leaves him both depressed and unable to work. Now Gemma’s struggling to make ends meet and to
Best Crime Books & More
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Apologies for those that don't want a lengthy or waffle like review but, well sometimes needs must. Many people know me for my Book Blogging and other know me as a friend etc. What connection some people don't make is that I also run my own business. A business that was born from a seedling of an idea that came from a book by none other than the lovely Sue, or as others know her Lucy Diamond. For that reason even 5 years on, with my business growing at an alarming rate, but stresses of life gett ...more
Jules (Never enough time to read)
Just the type of cheesy, romantic and drama filled chick lit I love.

I'm off to look for more books by Lucy Diamond...
Book Addict Shaun
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
New Year's Eve is a funny time of year, and my least favourite. I spend each one reflecting on the year just gone, and on the one ahead and each year my thoughts become more negative and I vow to do something to change that. I hate the fakeness of it, whether that be making resolutions you'll have forgotten about by February or having to wish family members you can't stand the rest of the year 'All the best'. I've never liked it, that said Lucy Diamond is one of my favourite Women's Fiction writ ...more
❧ Cristina ☙
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
DNF at page 180.

I'm just not interested in this at all.
Hannah Symonds
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have read quite a few of Lucy's books now and they never fail to disappoint. You do feel as if you know all the characters personally and Lucy brings real life problems to her stories which people will be able to sympathise with. Brilliant story, Brilliant characters and a Brilliant author. Will really be looking forward to Lucy Diamond's next book.
Sally Whiteside
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
3 women, new years eve, fortune cookies. 3 very different lives. When the universe gives you a sign, take notice. Extremely enjoyable story.
Karen
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It is New Year’s Eve and three women come together, purely by circumstance, who can have no idea of how important their evolving friendship will become as each faces difficulties and changes in their lives.

This was another lovely story of friendship and drama from Lucy Diamond, she has just the right touch with her characters, some are flawed but they are all realistic and believable. I warmed to each of the three women straight away and was hoping that all would turn out well for them. One cha
Lucy Robinson
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another cracker from Lucy Diamond that had me gripped. There is such wonderful warmth in her writing; such a strong sense of the kindness of the human spirit. In spite of the struggles encountered by the novel's heroines it was a shining tale of positivity, bravery and - let's be honest here - the kick-ass brilliance of women! A truly gorgeous story.
Hannah Clarke (Love Books Actually)
I picked this book up by chance in my local library and I'm pleased I did, after reading a few reviews I knew I had picked a fab read.

The book kicks off at a house party, New Year's Eve and hiding out in the kitchen are three women who have just met for the first time.

Gemma the hostess of the party, happily married to Spencer living in their new house with their two children.
Caitlin an old school friend of Spencer's who has returned to the village to sort her mums h
Simona
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
*Book provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

Three different women, three different stories… But they are all connected and it all starts New Year’s Eve, with some resolutions.

Each one of them is in for something new and changes are ahead. Can they stand the pressure and be strong?!

When Gemma’s husband Spencer has an accident Gemma sees her family life turned upside down. Spencer is not the same anymore and they kids… Then Spencer is gone…<
Tóra
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is chick-lit and feel-good at its best! A gorgeous story about three women, who randomly meet at a New Year's party, and how their friendship becomes so dear to them. I definitely enjoyed this book mostly because of its humour; I found myself smiling - even grinning - at it a couple of times, because it's just so spot on on the subject of being a modern woman: her relations, her love-life, children and career.

There was something about New Year's Eve that always brought her up a little shor
Chris
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads, uk-reads
There's something about reading UK chick lit that makes me feel as if it's not as low brow as US chick lit. This was pretty good, although one quibble; this took place in a period of about four months, as opposed to a year. I had no idea that everything that happened took place in such a short time span until it was noted at the very end. So perhaps the title should have been "Taking Chances From January to April!"
Bookevin
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it

A fabulous story about taking chances (obviously!) and a massive leap of faith. If you're looking for something funny, inspirational and feel-good, then treat yourself to Lucy Diamond's new one!
Maria
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lucy Diamond has become one of my favourite authors! I really like her books; they are wholesome, delving into problems that all of us experience on a daily basis. I also love how they are addictive as well, with storylines that make me want to read more and more. I loved the friendship in this book that blossomed between Saffron, Caitlin, and Gemma. It was a friendship that we all long and hope for in our lives, with many of us looking far and wide for it. Gemma's difficulties with Spencer, Kar ...more
Carly
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book that I devoured very quickly.
The characters Gemma, Caitlin and Saffron were very realistic and down to earth women.
There was never a dull moment in this book.
Sophie
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: print-books

Posted originally http://www.reviewedthebook.co.uk/2014...

I loved The Year of Taking Chances. Really loved it. In it we’re brought three completely believable leading female characters, Gemma, Saffron and Caitlin – normal women with everyday kind of problems. Their stories aren’t telling anything groundbreakingly new or extravagant but the novel is delivered in such a wonderful kind of way it will have you laughing one second, a little emotional the next and always rapidly turning the pages for more until you get to the end of the 45
Rebecca
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on http://beccasbooooks.blogspot.co.uk/

I began 2015 with Lucy's book, and what better way to see in another 365 days than with a trusty book by your side? As soon as I opened that first page and began to read, I knew almost immediately that I liked it. You'll probably think that's ridiculous, but after just a hint of Lucy's writing style, I was hooked. And I think that's amazing, isn't it? It only takes a couple of Lucy's words to reel me in. I can't deny that the title played a big part in me wanting to begin a
Nikki
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Somewhat appropriately, the book begins on New Year's Eve with three very different women with very different lives meeting at a party and opening fortune cookies for the year ahead.
What follows is a very cute chick-lit novel, with some characters you absolutely fall in love with and want to hear more of (I loved Bunty!). Although the storyline is somewhat predictable and cliche, the writing isn't bad and it's a very easy read, I read it over two days.

Overall a nice book to begin my year and m
Nicola Clough
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book and I was gripped from the first page and tells the stories of three ladies who meet at new year they each have there own story to and it's interesting to see how each one copes with their life and how it changes. They all learn new things about themselves and can all of them move forward and enjoy their life or will they not be able to and will they find love or will there relationships they are happy in. Well worth reading as all Lucy diamond books are.
Donna Moore
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this read! Easy to get into, full off scenarios that anyone could face in life but showing determination in adversity! A lovely read with this weather, tea and cake.......highly recommend to any chick lit fans!
Gail
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story starts off on New Year's Eve when three women meet up and become firm friends. It's quite predictable with obvious coincidences but it's a nice easy read and its a good start to the new year.
Tessa
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's one of those books you can and want to read without interruptions. At least that's what I had with this book. If you like chick lits, but that's not too smoochy, then I would recommend it. It has an easy read as well.
I would love to read more books of her.
Alison Winter
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
it started out a bit slow but once it got going it was a really good book. the characters were likeable and story realistic with hint of a cheesy ending - nothing not to like
Nessa
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant and enjoyable book from Lucy Diamond. I always thoroughly enjoy her stories. Great characters and great story plots.
Amanda Astbury
Feb 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Disappointed, I expected great things but not a patch on Beach Cafe. Too many cliches and too predictable
Verena
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a really lovely book to read around New Year's and overall I liked the characters and the story but in the end the book sadly just didn't really click with me.
Marjorie
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

I did enjoy reading the exploits of our 3 main protagonists - Gemma, Caitlin and Saffron - their lives are a million miles away from reality but sometimes escapism is what you need. If you take away the fact that you know everything will work out fine for each character and ignore the appalling lack of business practices (one of my bette noirs in books I know) it is quite a good look at the nature of friendship.

For me the pick of the 3 characters is Gemma. I real
Joan
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Spencer and Gemma Bailey decide to have a small New Year’s Eve Party and what starts as invitations to a few select friends for an intimate gathering, soon escalates into a massive bash. Still it will give them an opportunity to get to know the locals and Gemma doesn’t want to squash Spencer’s enthusiasm. She also sees it as an opportunity to get to know other Mums that are parents of the children that her son and daughter mix with and perhaps make new friends. So she gets on with the tidying an ...more

• The Magnificent Mrs Mayhew
  • The Perfectly Imperfect Woman
  • The Teashop on the Corner
  • Million Love Songs: The laugh-out-loud, feel-good spring read of 2019
  • Christmas Cakes and Mistletoe Nights
  • The Mother of All Christmases
  • The barn on half moon hill
  • Where The Light Gets In
  • Calling Mrs Christmas
  • Summer at Skylark Farm
  • The Boy I Loved Before
  • White Wedding
  • Happiness for Beginners
  • Here Come the Girls
  • A Gift from the Comfort Food Café (Comfort Food Cafe, #5)
  • A Cottage by the Sea
  • A Vintage Wedding
  • If You Could Go Anywhere
Librarian note:
There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name

First of all, a confession. My name isn’t really Lucy Diamond at all, it’s Sue Mongredien. I’ve used a pen name because ‘Diamond’ is a lot easier to spell and pronounce than ‘Mongredien’ and also because I’ve written lots of children’s books too and wanted to keep the genres separate. (There is actually
“It was all very well being a can-do independent twenty-first-century woman, but sometimes she just wished her dad was still around to take care of stuff like this.” 0 likes
“Everything had come easily to her. her whole life: This was the only thing that remained resolutely beyond her control.” 0 likes