Start by marking “The Female Factory” as Want to Read:
The Female Factory

The Female Factory

In The Female Factory, procreation is big business. Children are a commodity few women can afford.

Hopeful mothers-to-be try everything. Fertility clinics. Pills. Wombs for hire. Babies are no longer made in bedrooms, but engineered in boardrooms. A quirk of genetics allows lucky surrogates to carry multiple eggs, to control when they are fertilised, and by whom—but
Paperback, Twelve Planets Collection
Published November 15th 2014 by Twelfth Planet Press

To ask other readers questions about The Female Factory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Female Factory

Start your review of The Female Factory
Elizabeth
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review was originally published on the Books and Pieces blog.

I was once taught that, in the gothic, the grotesque body can be encapsulated by things that are 'of the body and yet not of the body'. Hair on your head is good, cut hair on the floor of the barbershop is repellant. The female body is accordingly a more grotesque body than the male. It is a leaking vessel - bleeding, producing milk, and, worst of all, birthing children. Pregnancy is a very literal moment of a body containing
Alexandra
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yes it took me a while to read this one. I read "Vox" and "Baggage" and then had to have a metaphorical lie down for a week, to catch my breath, then read the last two stories.

Seriously. These two ladies. THEY DO THINGS TO MY BRAIN.

The no-spoilers version is: this collection is about being a woman, and children, and social expectations, and identity.

Now go read it. No, seriously.

Spoiler-filled version:
(view spoiler)
Anna Hepworth
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rated-five
bitter and cynical - I'm getting a little tired of reading about how horrible the future is going to be for women. And with great angst about declines in fertility, and what happens for those who are fertile, etc. And yet, a very good collection. The first story is chilling and horrible - left me quite unhappy and disturbed, and what happens when obsessions start ruling our lives. The second and third stories fit inside that genre of Australian fantasy by people who don't seem to like Australia, ...more
Stephanie
The Female Factory is the eleventh book in theTwelve Planets series from Twelfth Planet Press, this collection authored by frequent co-authors Lisa L. Hannett and Angela Slatter.The Female Factory collects four short works which are unrelated in terms of plot but very much related in terms of theme.

Vox opens the collection, and is a truly chilling story. Kate, our protagonist, is somewhat obsessed with lending inanimate objects life (I particularly liked her talking to the last two Tic Tacs in
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
This collection contains four short stories that, as one can expect from our best writing duo in Australia, absolutely blow the reader away. I don't think I've come across a bit of their writing yet that hasn't been perfect - haunting, leaving an impact, horror-filled and yet still somehow beautiful... this has it all. Hannett and Slatter have it all, and I can't wait to see and love everything they do in the future.

Vox

A couple, Kate and Nick, go to a fertility clinic - though it has a few
Mark Webb
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review forms part of my contribution to theAustralian Women Writers 2014 Reading Challenge. All my 2014 AWWC reviews can be foundhere.

The Female Factory by Angela Slatter and Lisa L Hannett is the 11th book in the Twelve Planets series by Twelfth Planet Press. The series aims to showcase Australian women writing speculative fiction and has produced some stellar, award winning work over the last 3 years.

Hannett and Slatter have collaborated before, most notably in the collectionMidnight and
Amanda NEVER MANDY
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, 2015
Kristian Thoroughgood
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fascinating and entertaining, bizarre and grotesque, this is a great collection of four speculative fiction short stories from two Australian authors. Touching on topics that some may find challenging, this book explores aspects of body horror and dark fantasy from a very female perspective.

A slightly longer review (500 words) is available here: https://uncertaintales.wordpress.com/...
Shana DuBois
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection will make your brain buzz.

After each story I had to pause and give myself time to reflect and absorb what I had just read. Each story packs a gut-punch of a premise. The reader will experience thought provoking ideas and concepts, some of which might be hard to swallow, but ALL are worthy of reading and attention. Do yourself a favor, buy this book, read it, and enjoy some of the most powerful short stories to date.
John Devenny
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another fine addition to the excellent Twelve Planets series from TPP. This collection features four pieces of short fiction all of which are somewhat disturbing looks at parenting in the past and the future.
Scott
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Female Factory is filled with lyrical language, beautifully disturbing images and memorable characters. It is a standout collection among the most import series of genre books being published today.
Nicole
Strong writing with my order of enjoyment - Vox (hands down), Female Factory, Baggage (these two are kind of tied), then, All the Other Revivals.
Derya
Sep 17, 2015
Louise
Feb 10, 2019
Rivqa
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fine, creepy SF-esque collection about women, their bodies, and different kinds of birth.
Liz
Apr 23, 2015
Christine
Dec 31, 2019

• The Water Dancer
  • The Black Tides of Heaven (Tensorate, #1)
  • Hark! the Herald Angels Scream: An Anthology
  • The Wolf Queen (The Hope of Aferi, #1)
  • Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orïsha, #2)
  • Caution: Contains Small Parts
  • Through Splintered Walls
  • Lexicon
Lisa L. Hannett has had over 70 short stories appear in venues including Clarkesworld, Weird Tales, Apex, The Dark and Year’s Best anthologies in Australia, Canada and the US. She has won four Aurealis Awards, including Best Collection for her first book, Bluegrass Symphony, which was also nominated for a World Fantasy Award. Her first novel, Lament for the Afterlife, was published by CZP in 2015. ...more