Start by marking “Today I Am a Book” as Want to Read:
Today I Am a Book

Today I Am a Book

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  94 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
"Today I Am A Book is maddening, the 'I' bringing you in close only to wink and push off again. It is an alluring, irresistible book. And it was written by xTx. That should be all you need to know. She is a master and we are her grateful subjects." -Lindsay Hunter, author of Ugly Girls
Published March 2nd 2015 by Civil Coping Mechanisms

To ask other readers questions about Today I Am a Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Today I Am a Book

Roxane
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is okay. The story "Today I Am a Lion," is pretty decent.

I'm kidding. This book is great--imaginative, bizarre in an intelligently controlled way, full of anger and fear, dark energy and passion, each story offering a spectrum of possibilities for what today might hold.
xTx xTx
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: 2015
Antonia Crane
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: twitter-com
"Today I am A Book" bares the teeth that match our wounds. To call this book raw is not entirely correct because "raw" suggests unrefinement and superfoods like a diamond in the rough or a kale shake that tastes like regurgitated grass. This book is hard core black diamond and it left me with the same gut feeling that I had the first time I read Karen Finley's "Shock Treatment" or saw Diamanda Galas perform her operatic Billie Holiday covers at the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco. This book ...more
Brian Alan Ellis
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Today I am a book reviewer.

Today I am picturing the mysterious author of this book to look like a tattooed vegan straightedge hardcore chick because of the two x’s she uses in her penname.

Today, if the literary scene were a slammin’ mosh pit, xTx would be commanding that shit using windmills and crazy roundhouse kicks.

Today I Am a Book is a collection of darkly comic vignettes (flash fictions/prose poems) highlighting wives, farmers, short order cooks, genies, hunchbacks, basketball coaches, bab
Robert Vaughan
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Always a fan. She never disappoints. Bizarre in every single way that turns me on, makes my cells jumpy. Tingling. All I did was wait until I had two days in a row to DEVOUR this. Now go do it. Go on- what are you waiting for?
Brooks
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The first thing I've really read by xTx and I am in love with her language. The stories were short, the sentences direct, but everything has something moving just beneath the story. It's the kind of thing that really gets me, every time.
Meredith Alling
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Killed me dead. Read it now.
Valentina
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
so fucking depressing I wanna fight
shirley
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-goals
The format really worked for me: short somewhat stand alone chapters. There is a brutal honesty and beauty to the writing. There is an intimacy in the tone. The confidence here belies vulnerability...or is it the other way around? I really loved this.
Matt Lewis
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: small-press
Today I am a book review. I am clumsily attempting to convey the feeling the reader gets when exploring the dark and satirical subjects of this collection. What I'd really like to do is explain how well the author taps her own feelings and emotions into a variety of different avatars, people and things of what she is both completely unfamiliar with and yet extremely intimate. Then something would be included about how the author doesn't shy away from the grotesque of everyday life, and lays it b ...more
David Bridges
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Today I am a fan of xTx. This is a book of 30 something really short stories, most about 2 pages long. I liked some of them and I loved some of them. They span a broad range from sad, funny, and grotesque. xTx is obviously gifted with the words, and I know this is a matter of personal taste on my part but when I read very short stories like this I just want more longer detailed stories. I felt the same way reading this book that I did when I read Chris Deal's Incarnations. The stories are so wel ...more
Javier Fernández
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Encuentro que la xTx hace un ejercicio muy interesante en Today I Am A Book . Lo que hace es que toma un personaje (que puede ser desde una persona, hasta objetos) y nos cuenta una historia a partir de este. Pero como es Alt-Lit , en vez de describir esos personajes desde afuera, lo hace en primera persona, por lo que cada historia parte : "Hoy soy... [Nombre del personaje]".

Es bacán porque son historias extremadamente cortas, pero se nota que cada texto se da en un contexto completamente disti
Meg Tuite
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Today I ate this book. I devoured this unstoppable book. It got into all those places that stopped the world outside and tsunamied my interior! xTx is fierce and reaches in and doesn't let go! I had to remember to keep breathing while reading. It made me feel all of those unreachables of childhood that ache! That murky bottomless pit that she paints on the page so intricately!
"But in this summer field I have you. And your arms have only carried me out of the corn. And your mouth has never told
Jim Ivy
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't know what more I can say about the wringing of xTx without sounding like a paid advertisement. It's non-conventional and non- narrative (sort of), but still gives you the sense of travel the way a long form novel does. You should read this book. I'm telling you, if the first couple of chapters are not grabbing you, give the next one a read. The chapters are short and will be well worth your time to explore. And it will grab you.
Jason Anthony
I really enjoyed this book, for the most part. Some of the stories fell a little flat but they were greatly made up for by the other stories. I guess this would be called flash fiction as each story is about a page and a half to thee pages. This is written so well that it almost feels like bragging about how well xTx can develop a character with as little words as possible. Highlights include "Today I am a Caregiver" and "Today I am a Lion".
Sherri
Sep 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bathroom
This is a weird little book. I was able to finish it because I read it in tiny pieces as my bathroom book. I was expecting something fun and inventive, but what I got was dark, sad, and almost poetic. I rarely like poetry.
Shea VanKirk
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Today I Am a Goodreads Review of Today I Am a Book
Josh Boardman
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Every sentence is like hacking through the bush with a machete. Today I Am a Hunchback, Today I Am a Outlier were amazing.
Marie Connor
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-read-2016
More disturbing then I was expecting.
Taylor
Mar 18, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2015-favorites
I loved this. Full review at The Small Press Book Review: http://thesmallpressbookreview.blogsp...
Caitlyn GD
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5-4/5

favorites: Today I am an Outlier, Today I am a Flower Girl, Today I am a Bulimic, Today I am a Farmer
Melissa Gavazzi
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Haunting, mezmorizing, and full of subtle twists. An absolute must read.
Angelique
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was ugly. And had moments of insight and heartbreak and clarity. But I found it hard to connect with at times and enjoy. It was weird and wonderful, but not for me.
Jeff Dick
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I discovered xTx when one of her stories came up in discussion during a writing course. I grabbed up her NORMALLY SPECIAL collection and have looked forward to TODAY I AM A BOOK since. Her work gives me all sorts of crazy feels and I crave them. Sometimes it's like a sprained tooth with an ache radiating where I didn't know I could feel. Sometimes it is a dagger lodged where I feel the most. Sometimes it is the warmth of sunshine on the face. Sometimes it is a plunge off the end of the dock into ...more
Fred Pelzer
Review forthcoming
Claire Gevaux
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dark. Good. Bit short
Matthew
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Is this a collection of short stories? Flash fictions? Literary riots? Unique, delightful, dark.
Brian
Mar 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: female, own
I am happy I read these stories. Well, maybe "happy" is the wrong word. I am sad I read these stories, in the sense that they left me with a kind of wistful emptiness.
Linda Longest

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • You Can't Keep a Good Woman Down: Stories
  • The Last Storyteller: A Novel Of Ireland
  • The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Temple of My Familiar (The Color Purple Collection)
  • Vengeance Road
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things