Start by marking “Punk: The Definitive Record of a Revolution” as Want to Read:
Punk: The Definitive Record of a Revolution

Punk: The Definitive Record of a Revolution

Recreating the complete story of the punk phenomenon — including where it came from and what it turned into — Punk is a massive and visually stunning record of five years that changed the world: from 1975 to 1979. Collecting the testimony of more than 260 artists, record producers, designers, and journalists — including John Cale, Debbie Harry, Joe Strummer, Maureen Tucker ...more
Published October 11th 2005 by Da Capo Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Punk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Punk

Kim Annabella
Oct 18, 2007 rated it did not like it
shit, a shitty badly written.... well honestly a hardly written at all book. Somehow believes punk to have originated with warhol and studio 54, hello pop art and disco there was nothing much punk about that; what about dadaism and nihilism??

Also, it is messy, spends whole sections on Malcolm mclaren and viv Westwood, only to repeat the same later on, repeatedly dredges up Siouxie Sioux only to tell some shock story, nothing much about the bands aside from sex pistols who basically it is about a
Jerry
Dec 06, 2010 marked it as to-read
heavy
Angela Nicole
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
The pictures were nice, but I felt like the writing could've been better. A lot of focus on the Sex Pistols and constant repeat stories about Siouxie Sioux being like the female Johnny Rotten.
Sarah Hansen
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could give this more stars. AMAZING.
Dr. Detroit
Oct 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Most of us whose salvation and saving grace in the late 1970's came in the form of punk rock never thought it would come to this: a coffee table-style book on the genre so large it almost requires a truss to pick up and read. Exploding with stark black-and-white photos, the authors rightfully trace punk's origins back to the Stooges/MC5/Velvet Underground unholy triumvirate and primarily use quotes from musicians, hangers-on, and the fans to tell the story of the music so many thought would chan ...more
Alexandra the Great
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book makes my heart sing. It's not perfect by any means, and definitely not definitive (Joan Jett, for one, had better be included in any record of Punk that wants to call itself "definitive" and unfortunately she's nowhere to be found here. Also, I truly don't remember much mention of the California scene, except maybe in passing, or the East Coast hardcore scene.) I did really appreciate the inclusion of hip hop at the end, because while it wasn't Punk, groups like Run-DMC and Public Enem ...more
Tristan Goding
Nov 24, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Junk. The info provided here adds up to surprisingly little. The little that is presented is scattered all over the place without any particular rhyme or reason. Everything else is scattered about. If it resembled a scrapbook, I'd appreciate it more as it would add to the punk aesthetic, if such a thing exists. Instead, it comes across very wrong-headed in its spontaneousness. Overall, a waste of paper..
Ed Wagemann
Apr 03, 2012 added it
Shelves: rock
Why Everything You Think You Know About Punk Is Completely Wrong:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Steve
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A monolith that's tough to house (depending on your bookshelf), this is my pick for the must-own book on its subject that has pictures. (The superb England's Dreaming is heavy on text but sparse on photos, if it even has any at all; I read it years ago, so forgive me if my memory is hazy.) What we have here is an exhaustive travelogue through one of music's most divisive forms, and every page of it is crammed with fascinating and compelling details. I cannot recommend it enough.
Tom Hitchner
May 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
Often interesting, but hampered by the authors' prejudices. Bands they don't care for get one page each, and the authors have the annoying habit of putting their own opinions in the book as objective-sounding quotes, then finding a bunch of other quotes that say the same thing, creating the illusion of consensus.
Dx-xb
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
A collection of stories centralized about the music genre known as punk rock. I found it very interesting and humorous. I appreciated the diversity of the people and bands covered in this book. One infamous incident (I won't give anything away) involving Wayne County was the highlight of the book for me.
Christine
Jul 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Oi
Holly
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love punk, so I am biased, but I loved the book. I loved the stories, the pictures, and the memories it brought back. There is nothing better to make a middle aged chick feel 17 again.
Michael
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
great pictures
Neekro
Jan 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Some cool pics but the story through quotes and conversations wears thin quick,
Jeff Gunter
Jun 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Very nice photos. Period.
Afroditi
Feb 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every page is a history chapter!

My only personal objection is that i totally disagree with the writer. The bands he hates are my favorite. But then again i never got to live the punk '77 so...
S. Hughes
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A wonderful look into the life, times, and characters involved with a movement that is inspirational and, in many ways, vastly important to the world of today.
Anne /Aunt Franne

• A Cultural Dictionary of Punk: 1974-1982
  • Punk: The Whole Story
  • The Doors: The Illustrated History
  • I Need More
  • Gimme Something Better: The Profound, Progressive, and Occasionally Pointless History of Bay Area Punk from Dead Kennedys to Green Day
  • Dance of Days: Two Decades of Punk in the Nation's Capital