Start by marking “Nazis and the Occult: The Dark Forces Unleashed by the Third Reich” as Want to Read:
Nazis and the Occult: The Dark Forces Unleashed by the Third Reich

Nazis and the Occult: The Dark Forces Unleashed by the Third Reich

3.09  ·  Rating details ·  275 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Featuring many rare archive photographs, this book reveals the true nature of the Third Reich’s link with arcane influences and of evil itself.
Published November 16th 2009 by Chartwell Books, Inc. (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Nazis and the Occult, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nazis and the Occult

Brittany
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Being interested in both Nazis and the occult, I had high expectations for this book - I wasn't expecting a John Green best seller, but I was hoping for *something*. I personally found the text to be really dry and monotonous, bordering on repetitive at times, and I'm still not sure if the author is endorsing or rejecting the idea of occult practices amongst the Nazi Party. The content itself seemed to be extensively researched, but there were a few things written that I know to be untrue or wer ...more
Maxwell
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Ultimately Roland's book is a text that is not going to pull off any grand reveals for the curious, and skeptics will remain unconvinced. There's questionable categorization for chapters, and many of the examples are (by his own admission) based on circumstantial evidence, disputed account, and 'myth-making' in the wake of those with aggendas to capitalize on the continuous allure for Hitler, his impact on the world, and either his personal or the Nazi party's ties to mysticism. There is no gran ...more
Dave
Nov 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Historians. Researchers. Symbolists.
Using an objective, journalistic approach, Roland deconstructs the popular myths surrounding Hitler and the Nazi party's obsession with the occult, and history's attempts to attribute the Reich's attrocities to the rise of 'The dark Massiah'.

The book is nicely illustrated and would have received a full five stars had the print not been so ludicrously small.
Lara
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Equal parts fascinating and bamboozling. Not sure how much of it is fact and how much is fiction and speculation. Lots of reference to "The Spear of Destiny" which the author dismisses as being a work of fiction but then heavily alludes to throughout. Much weirdness. Perfect for what I wanted (ways to make my serial killer more disturbed/disturbing!)
Nicole Yovanoff
Feb 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was not the worst book I have ever read and it was not really boring, but it lacked any gravitas that most history books have. It felt like I was reading an undergraduate essay who thinks occult stuff is cool and fun.

No real depth, something to read if you are not a huge history buff.
Andrew
Dec 25, 2009 added it
Wow. Very well researched information on the Rise of Hitler.. Thule society and Vrill Society! Scary stuff here...
Doug Brunell
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Author Roland takes a very open-minded and even-handed approach to the Nazi/Occult link that has been bandied about in circles for decades. He looks to answer questions such as whether or not the Nazis were all dabbling in the occult and if they used its powers to wreak havoc on the world. The answers he formulates are not surprising, but will probably upset people on all sides of the debates.

As with any book of this nature, there are going to be issues. The two here that prove to be vexing are
John LeBourgeois
Disinformation through out

So when dealing with information like this the author can be neutral, enthusiastic or disparaging. This book appears to be written by those who have a vested interest in obscuring the truth. As with all lies some portion of the truth is always present, however it is twisted, belittled or posed as absurd in the subtle editorial permeating this work. It looks to me like a hit job done by a magical society which wants to hide the realities that would be revealed in an obje
Sulaiman Taji
This felt less like the Hitler I've come to know from reading other history books, and more like Red Skull from Hydra (of Captain America fame). You have Odin, Spear of Destiny and other fabled items/personalities all mentioned here.
Extremely speculative. Then suddenly the writer starts to hammer the point that it's not your "magic" in the magician's sense, but more like someone who's kept the whole nation captive with his (or rather the Nazi) theatrics.

It was a very light read, nothing to take
Matt Johnson
Interesting look into beliefs of some high ranking Nazis.
Dina Rae
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nazis and the Occult by Paul Roland is a nonfiction book about the major influence the dark arts played throughout Hitler's regime. Hitler was not the only one who dabbled spirits, astrology, ancient relics, seances, and the paranormal. He filled his party with plenty of like-minded individuals such as Himmler, Bormann, Goebbels, Goering, and Hess.

Roland started at the beginning, not Hitler's beginning, but the beginning of the modern day notion that the Aryan race was the superior race of the
Christian Andersson
Like many others, I found this book appealing for my interest in both Nazi history and the occult. But despite its title, 'Nazis and the occult', the content of the book ironically never really touches the latter, or the former for that part either.

Instead we get a 300 pages long travesty in which the author, Paul Roland, dwells on how much he despises Nazis. It's an orgy in ad-hominems and elitism. Roland really seems to be hating the working class in general, if he doesn't - someone should tel
Cliff
Jun 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A very bad book. It seems that the author has set out to debunk the myth that the Nazis used the occult and it is clear from his epilogue that he believes they did not. However, the way the book is presented does not help. The print is heavily leaded out with what appears to be triple spacing between each line. Every page or so, the text is broken up by sub headings in German gothic - not the easiest of reads for a non German. At times it is difficult to know exactly what the author believs. The ...more
Camilla Tilly
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
How can one say that one really likes this book? 2 1/2 stars would have been more correct. It leaves a bad taste in one's mouth for sure. But not only because of the topic. It's really not a well written book. As a matter of fact it leaves the reader more confused after reading it than before. Many of the chapters are so odd that you do not understand what is gossip, what is myth and what is truth. And when that happens, it becomes a dangerous book if you take it at face value.
I bought this book
Liam Hanlon
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I gave this book 3 out if 5. I can understand other reviewers opinion that the style of writing or prose is hard to follow at times and off putting.

I think the reason for this is because Paul Roland clearly knows a lot about the occult and occult practices. He does not water down his knowledge for the laymen though and I found myself having to re read parts of it to get a better grasp of the subject matter.

Cards on the table - I am a conspiracy theorist - and I approached this book in my mind w
Gareth Pengelly
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I was surprised by the cynical attitude taken in this book. I was expecting it to be chock full of spuriously-referenced 'facts' about Hitler and his occult connections.

Instead, I find a refreshingly skeptical point of view, where the writer has obviously taken a step back from his sources and viewed them with a critical mind. One could easily discern the author's opinion on the subjects themselves; the number of criticisms levelled at the characters of Hitler and his cronies was quite extraordi
Crabby McGrouchpants
This book will rock you down to your foundations: however you might think of the "Occult" (try: the Esoteria is beyond the Preliminary Under-pinnings) or wherever this book's filed in your local bookstore (Nazis? Black magic? Radiation poisoning?), this little trip will take you through the ideological structures and physical/mental energies released by these Heartless Bastards (read: Spoiled Bananas/Ruined Milk/Destroyed Cancerous Cells, etc.), not some "belief system" structure which keep the ...more
Stephen
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a very interesting take on the evil in the Third Reich. It appears the author wrote to discredit the claims of Trevor Ravenscroft on Hitler's esotoric actions. Roland makes a credible case with good analysis of the behaviors and actions of the Nazi Party. He investigates the claims of astrology and mediums being used, and touches on the culture of magic that manifested itself at the time. Touching on Crowley in England, he points that it wasn't just the Reich using what some would call E ...more
Linnéa
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Good language but not what I was looking for. The book is more historic and punctures the mystery of the nazis. I wanted rumours and weird shit like the "nazi bell" and other conspiracy theories. But this book was not about such nonsense.
I admit I was fooled by the cover.
lara_nur
Nov 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Nazi amat percayakan ramalan zodiak. Sape percaya dia memang Nazi jugak! Kahkahkahkah! Lara kasik 3 bintang sudah. Tapi gambar-gambar dia memang rare. Antara empat paksi dark force ni, Hitler, Himmler, Goehring dan Goebbels, lara paling tertarik pada Goebbels. Kalaulah dia hidup lagi sekarang.....
Kelly Reitmeier
Feb 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
I liked the idea of this book but I just couldn't get into it. I found it a bit dull and it read more like a high school essay. It raises some pretty interesting thoughts however and gives you some different perspectives to the rise and reign of Hitler.
Eilleen
finding the basis of the nazi theories on how the world should have been was an eye opener. the strong belief in legends & turning it into a real life belief system, the ability to change or augment history to suit their needs & try to take over the whole world.
Jonas Soderstrom
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Part of the historical parts about the occult traditions in 1930s Europe was interesting, but the author obviously believes in magic and the occult which makes the book a missmas of fact and crazy. Can not recommend.
Trish
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-military
Slightly different take on the standard subject. Examines the nature of the Reich's link - or lack of true link - with the arcane, and tries to explain why HItler succeeded in mesmerizing it anyway.
Teddy
Aug 22, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No. Confusing and doesn't go into the details I expected it to.
RRex
Dec 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Ridiculous. And some of the photographs contained therein are mislabeled.
Soraya
Jun 11, 2015 added it
Good
Bradley
A very eerie book indeed. Nazis were certainly insane.
Linsay Powell
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this. Very interesting without sensationalising rubbish. Very good at separating what could be real from what is likely to be false
Tom
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
interesting. a fast read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Rifleman: A Front-Line Life from Alamein and Dresden to the Fall of the Berlin Wall
  • Colditz: The Full Story
  • Battle of Britain
  • The SS: A New History
  • Colditz: The Definitive History: The Untold Story of World War II's Great Escapes
  • The Miracle of Dunkirk
  • The White Rabbit: The Secret Agent the Gestapo Could Not Crack
  • I Was a Child of Holocaust Survivors
  • Secret Germany: Stauffenberg & the True Story of Operation Valkyrie
  • Wolfram: The Boy Who Went to War
  • Forgotten Voices of the Somme: The Most Devastating Battle of the Great War in the Words of Those Who Survived
  • The Secret Ministry of Ag. and Fish
  • The Struggle for Europe
  • Flames in the Field: The Story of Four SOE Agents in Occupied France
  • Arnhem 1944: The Airborne Battle, 17-26 September
  • Enemy Coast Ahead
  • Last Post: The Final Word from Our First World War Soldiers
  • The Phantom World
“The intention of this book is to explain how an ill-educated, psychologically unbalanced nonentity succeeded in mesmerizing an entire nation,” 0 likes