Start by marking “Enchantment Lake (Northwoods, #1)” as Want to Read:
Enchantment Lake (Northwoods, #1)

Enchantment Lake (Northwoods #1)

3.19  ·  Rating details ·  319 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
A disturbing call from her great aunts Astrid and Jeannette sends seventeen-year-old Francie far from her new home in New York into a tangle of mysteries. Ditching an audition in a Manhattan theater, Francie travels to a remote lake in the northwoods where her aunts’ neighbors are “dropping like flies” from strange accidents. But are they accidents?

On the shores of Enchant
Published March 11th 2015 by Univ Of Minnesota Press

Evie
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such a quirky, highly entertaining, disarmingly charming read set against an atmospheric small-town setting, full of whimsical humor and mysteries.

I enjoyed it more than I expected, though I'll admit, I don't think this is a story for older YA readers. In all honesty, Enchantment Lake reads more like a middle grade novel than your typical YA, and I think marketing it as a YA murder mystery will only hurt it in the end. I don't find it serious or mature enough for the regular YA crowd, I think i
LittleBookDruid
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75/5 stars.
Copy provided to me by the publisher for review.

Enchantment Lake is the story of a young girl, Francie, in pursuit of the acting career in New York when during an audition she receives a call from one of her Great-Aunts. The mysterious call hints on something relating to a murder, she is terrified and gets off to her hometown. That being a small settlement near a lake. The settlement is so remote that they don't even have a road yet.
There is a talk about making a road going around
Jessie
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kiddo
**A lively, suspenseful mystery set on a beautiful lake. Many odd and fun characters contribute to this who-done-it murder plot. A few twists and plenty of exploring and poorly-executed sleuthing keep the reader interested. Having a little love interest in there never hurts either. **

The premise of this book really attracted me: strange things happening at a remote lake? Two crazy aunts? Sounded fun. In actuality it was a bit slow. There were a lot of excuses at the beginning in order to get the
MermaidsReadBooks
Dec 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: boo-you-whore, dnf
I received this from Netgalley for an honest review. Publisher: University of Minnesota Press

Dnf.

I don't know. This one just felt amateur from the beginning. I wanted this to be a really great mystery and instead it feels like I'm stuck inside a bad 90's sitcom with bad actors and an annoying plot line.

Pass.
Skjam!
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young mystery fans, Minnesota fans
Recommended to Skjam! by: University of Minnesota
Francine Frye isn’t a detective. She played a detective on TV. On a children’s show. For a few episodes. But that still makes her the closest thing to a detective Francie’s eccentric aunts Astrid and Jeannette know. So when a series of perfectly explainable but statistically improbable deaths strike around their cabin home on Enchantment Lake, they make a (badly worded, static-filled) call to their great-niece which cuts off abruptly.

When Francie can’t get the authorities or even her grandfather
Kelsey Wheeler
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First off, lets take a moment to enjoy this awesome cover! Next I must say this is definitely a five star read! It had a great story line, great characters, it was even written great! I love this world of Enchantment! A island located in a little town in MN only accessible by boat! I think that little detail made the story even better.

I see a lot of reviews calling it Middle Grade, but I think it leans towards YA with the maturity. I think even any adult would enjoy this if they are looking for
Lindsey
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Just in case you ever want to read a young adult mystery set in northern Minnesota and in which poisoned hotdish plays a role, here you go!
Gabs {My Full Bookshelf Reviews}

First thing I thought when I saw this book; "Ooh, pretty cover!" Second thing; "Ooh, mystery!" And that was that. I went into this book knowing not much else; not about the author, or any previous reviews, or even about the specific plot. (I'd forgotten that by the time I finally picked the story up.) Thus, I was really surprised--not in a bad way, but definitely surprised--at the story that Enchantment Lake ended up being.

It's definitely NOT the serious mystery tale that I was expectin
Anne
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Two superficial things drew me to this story: the cover and its publisher. I am a Minnesotan, not born and raised, but a 'Sconie (Wisconsin) transplant for the last five years. I saw this on Netgalley and thought it looked like a fun little mystery, with an emphasis on little as it is just 200 pages long. And Enchantment Lake didn't disappoint! It was fun, it was fast and it had a cast of colorful characters.

Francie lives in New York on her grandfather's dime -- her parents are both dead and her
Missie
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I dropped by a local bookstore when I was at the cabin a month ago and they had a wall of Minnesota authors displayed. I have seen the cover of Enchantment Lake around the blog world, so I grabbed it. I loved the cover SO much. So I figured, even if the book wasn’t amazing, the cover would be awesome to have on my bookshelf.

Likes:

The writing was very easy to read. I actually finished the book pretty quickly out on the boat the same afternoon I bought it. I like nice, easy reads because I often g
Stefani Sloma
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
NOTE: I was provided with an e-ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the Univ. of Minnesota Press for letting me read this!

The thing that drew me to this book was its cover, duh. Look at that cover. It’s gorgeous. I didn’t really even know much about what the book was about and by the time I read it, I couldn’t remember at all. So this book was pretty much read solely for its cover. Oops.

I was confused while reading this book – not because I didn’t underst
Jayla
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
** This review is my honest opinion. I recieved a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley**

I was really rather intrigued by this book. For starters, the cover is gorgeous and looks really good when read in the digital format. Second, the premise of the story pulled me in right away. I've always been a huge fan of murder mysteries and the description of this book made me want to read it right away.

The problems I had with the book started instantly and really didn't seem to let up unti
Mallory Ann
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC ebook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

17 year old Francie is NOT a detective. She only played one on TV. Although her aunts Astrid and Jeannette have started a rumor, and now everyone on the lake where they live thinks Francie is some big shot NY detective. After getting a strange call from her aunts saying their in danger, Francie ditches an audition, hops on a plane and heads to Enchantment Lake to see if her aunts are okay. When her aunts tell her about all t
Kelly
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Seventeen-year-old aspiring actress Francie gets a disturbing phone call from her great aunts. Fearing they might be in danger she immediately packs her bags and travels to a remote lake somewhere in Minnesota. She then discovers that her great aunts’ neighbours are dying in strange accidents. Francie is not convinced these are accidents at all and decides to investigate.

ENCHANTMENT LAKE is a very entertaining “whodunit”. We follow Francie on her little quest to find out who is killing her grea
Christie
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley. I started the book hoping I would like it, after having enjoyed West of the Moon, but I was sadly disappointed. The book reads like a children's book, but has a 17-year-old main character and mentions young adult stuff like drinking. I would not know where to put it in my library. On top of that, about 75% of the time I was reading this book, I thought it was a sequel to something else. It vaguely mentions parts of Francie's life (her life in New Yor ...more
Rachel of the Summer Court
Feb 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2015, arc
This book just didn't work for me. It is being marketed as a children's book, yet it also struggles to be YA. The MC is a 17 year old actress, living alone in NYC, which in itself is difficult to believe. Then when she flies to northern MN, everyone is under the impression that she is a big detective for the NYPD. The joke is continually recycled, which rings as a children's book to me. I could see my kids giggling at this if I were to read it to them. However, I wouldn't read it to them because ...more
Verity W
Nov 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*****Copy from Net Galley in return for an honest review****

Well, I quite enjoyed this, but I'm not sure it's really YA. It felt more 10 - 13 year old to me than higher up the spectrum

I liked the set up and the characters were interesting, even if I didn't think all of Francie's family relationships were properly explained and some of them could have used more development. The mystery plot was interesting and the solution was quite unexpected.

Not a bad way of spending 90 minutes or so, but not a
Alysa H.
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
A decent enough YA mystery in a Nancy Drew/Scooby-Doo kind of vein, but many of the characters -- especially Francie, the lead -- do not really behave in believable ways. These characters are quirky, as is the writing in general, but that only goes so far, and there seemed to be an odd, unintentional disconnect between the quirkiness and the actually quite dark undertones of the plot.

This was not as atmospheric as I'd hoped, and many questions are left unanswered. I suspect this is supposed to b
Megan
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, mystery

Full review available at MoonBird Books

My biggest takeaway from Enchantment Lake was that I've found a next-generation Nancy Drew for my daughters (and myself!). Francie is sharp on her feet, fearless and inquisitive, much like the teenaged sleuth I grew up reading (The Secret of the Old Clock...who's with me?!)
Amberlynn Kelch
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was ok I loved the cover but when reading the book was fast but it still had some plot holes. But that's what you get when you read an arc you catch the plot holes. Over all the story was talerbale and if I'm lucky enough I would love to read more that the author has or will create.
Cheyenne
Thanks to Netgalley for letting me read this book.

I rated this book DNF
Marathon County Public Library MCPL

Seventeen-year-old Francie bolts from an audition and hops on a plane from New York City to Minnesota after receiving a troubling call from her great aunts Astrid and Jeannette. She hasn’t visited her aunts’ home in northern Minnesota since her father’s death seven years prior, but she has fond childhood memories of Enchantment Lake. However, she cannot shake the uneasiness triggered by her aunts’ call and their subsequent clarification. It seems that the mortality rate of long-time residents i

Jennifer Y.
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this fun mystery, former child actor Francie Frye heads to mysterious Enchantment Lake when she becomes concerned about her great aunts. Once there the seventeen-year-old uncovers some strange happenings and gets more than she bargained for when her aunts ask her to investigate the mysterious deaths of a few of their fellow residents. Reluctant, but curious this amateur sleuth does her best to figure out what is going on at Enchantment Lake and uncovers a few secrets along the way.

This is suc
Lynn
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enchantment Lake is a fun little mystery about a group of quirky characters that live in a small town near Enchantment Lake in northern Minnesota. Francie receives a phone call from her great aunts telling her that they are in danger. When she arrives, Francie finds there have been a series of "accidents" leaving Francie suspicious that they are actually something more. When she dicovers that all of the victims lived near an area of the lake that is being developed for a new road, she decides to ...more
Jean Haberman
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: minnesota
I read this book because it takes place in the north woods of Minnesota. 17-year-old Francie living in New York goes to rural Minnesota to see what her eccentric aunts are up to. She encounters many mysterious deaths. The locals think she is a detective, because her aunts led them to believe that since Francie had an acting role as a detective in New York. Francie solves the murders, but she hasn't solved the mystery of her father's auto accident or her mother's disappearance. I guess the author ...more
Charlotte
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun and quick mystery. When Francie gets a mysterious call from her eccentric aunts, she decides to visit them at their summer cabin to make sure they're okay. Once there, she is drawn to figure out why people are mysteriously dying in their small lake community.

I think late elementary, early middle school is the right level for this book. The plot moves quickly and she keeps finding clues that draw her deeper into the community. There is humor thrown in to keep it light. The characters are fun
Laura Salas
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great Northwoods flavor!
Victoria Fuller
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quite a good mystery, really gets you early and pulls you in. I was doubtful about whether or not I would like this but I found that the cast of characters was really unique and lovable.
Hauntedbybooks
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This was a really fun mystery with a lot of quirky characters. If you want a mystery that's quick and fun than this one is for you!
Susan Kosel
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
The characters could definitely be used again in a story. Cute.
  • The Witch's Kiss (The Witch's Kiss, #1)
  • Moonlands
  • The Mystery of the Jewelled Moth (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #2)
  • The Whispering of Trees
  • The Astrologer's Daughter
  • Breakthrough!: How Three People Saved "Blue Babies" and Changed Medicine Forever
  • Summerlong
  • A Magic Dark and Bright (The Asylum Saga, #1)
  • Emma and the Banderwigh (Tales of Widowswood, #1)
  • V for Violet
  • These Dark Wings (Ravenmaster Trilogy #1)
  • Husky
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • The Romantics
  • The Sweetest Heist in History (Randi Rhodes, Ninja Detective, #2)
  • Split the Sun (Inherit the Stars #2)
  • In Darkling Wood
  • Wednesday Riders (Island Series, #2)

Northwoods (2 books)
  • The Clue in the Trees (Northwoods #2)