Start by marking “I Was Here” as Want to Read:
I Was Here

I Was Here

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  48,587 Ratings  ·  5,919 Reviews
Alternate cover for this ISBN can be found here

From the bestselling author of If I Stay - this summer's YA blockbuster film.

This characteristically powerful novel follows eighteen-year-old Cody Reynolds in the months following her best friend's shocking suicide.

As Cody numbly searches for answers as to why Meg took her own life, she begins a journey of self-discovery which
Published January 29th 2015 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published January 27th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about I Was Here, please sign up.
Emma Depends on how comfortable or mature someone is dealing with suicide and death. It talks about sex and there is one sex scene, (not graphic)
The…more
The suicide part of it is kinda harsh, so I wouldn't recomend for under 14, but really it depends in maturity.
If you want full details this page has reviews and a recomended age range. https://www.commonsensemedia.org/book...
Overall I loved this book:) (less)
Alyssa I'm very sorry about your son. God bless you and him; I just read the book and I found it helpful at least in a sense that it reminded me that, even…moreI'm very sorry about your son. God bless you and him; I just read the book and I found it helpful at least in a sense that it reminded me that, even if the book is fiction, there are people who understand- people just like these characters. I guess that could be a form of healing, just knowing we're not alone. I know people who have left me and their loved ones behind by taking their own way out, and it's one of the worst feelings in the world. However, like it happens in the book, God always works things out for our good. Hope is one of the things that is both hard to hold onto, and hard to remember we always have.(less)

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
hear more of my thoughts here: http://youtu.be/GiN-1CvvC2k

This book was so emotional! The only thing that I really didn't like about it was the romance. It was a major turn off for me, but other than that this book was fantastic, but sad, oh so very sad.
Lola
Had you shoved this book at me without any author name written and with the single order to ‘‘Read.This.Book,’’ I never would have guessed that Gayle Forman wrote this story.

Because this is no breathtaking If I Stay, nor inspiring Where She Went. Not only do I think that the author rested on her laurels with the writing of this book, if we compare to the ones mentioned above, but I’m certain this could have successfully worked, had it been done a little differently.

In the first place, I have to
Emily May
I told Joe and Sue that I was sorry, that I couldn't give a eulogy because I couldn't think of anything to say.
It was the first time I ever lied to them.

In the hands of most authors, this book would have been nothing more than a standard, trope-ridden NA romance. It almost was, anyway.

Forman's contempory novels have always contained a heavy romantic element that has propped up the central themes of grief, growing up and friendship. This book is no exception, but I felt that this time the story
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Mar 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Rachel Reads Ravenously
May contain spoilery!

Cody's best friend Meg has gone off to college and then she ends up committing suicide. Cody feels the guilt of not doing all she could to save her friend. She feels that it is partially her fault that her friend is gone.

She begins her search for answers and ends up finding an encrypted file on Meg's computer. With some help she gets it open and finds out that Meg has been participating with one of those awful sites that assist people with suicide. It's hard to imagine that
Mandy
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH!!!!! Oh this book, all the feels...... Seriously how did I not find this book earlier? I have a book hangover. This novel surrounded my heart like a cloak. How will I go on?! Oh this book.....

Cody's best friend, Meg commits suicide in the worse way possible and Cody goes on a mission to find how how and why and ends up discovering herself in the midst of it. The characters are amazing and lovable and written so well.

I love Ben McCallister. Oh my gosh I want him
Whitney Atkinson

Oh, man. Gayle's books are just phenomenal to real because they're so real. The emotions are so raw, the characters are so fleshed out. This book reads like a murder mystery and I was captivated by page 30 and read it in a day. This book is so real and bittersweet, showing the aftermath of a suicide and not sugar-coating anything. Gayle's voice in writing gets stronger and stronger with each book and this one definitely had me thinking.
I took off half a star because I thought the end w
Kassidy
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4.5*

A very engaging, beautiful, and touching story.
Rachel Reads Ravenously

Suicide is a very popular topic in the young adult genre, and normally a topic I stay away from. But when I saw this book with the pretty cover I couldn’t resist.

Cody is astonished when she discovers her friend Meg has committed suicide. Meg’s parents ask Cody to go to Meg’s school and pack up her thing, which is where Cody discovers Meg held a very different life than the one she told Cody. Due to a weird phrasing in Meg’s suicide note, Cody investigates the circumstances of Meg’s de
Maureen
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well I wasn't expecting to finish this book in one day but HERE WE ARE. I listened to the audiobook which I think added to my experience a lot. Overall, I thought this book was pretty good. I liked the main character alright and her journey was really interesting, as well as the minor characters. I also think this is a really important book for its focus on suicide and it's effect.
In the end, I liked it alright it wasn't the BEST but I'm still pretty emotional.
Tw: suicide
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
description

Warning: this book may trigger suicidal thoughts. Please read as well the Author's Note.

To say I was excited about reading this book isn't exactly wrong at all, Gayle Forman is an amazing storyteller but also I was pretty nervous. I Was Here is about a topic I've found myself thinking, not now but way back and so I felt this book was going to be totally great or a disaster. For me there wasn't an in-between.

I Was Here is about Cody, a young girl who is facing her best friend's suicide, they were
Aj the Ravenous Reader

I Was Here is a very poignant story about suicide and depression and one that doesn’t attempt to romanticize these things either. It’s raw and yes, very sad but also very relatable and at times I find myself laughing at the main character’s sarcasm. It’s not hard to empathize with a girl whose best friend and probably the most important person in her life, more like her other half, took her own life.

I like what the story is trying to achieve and I appreciate the plot devices the autho
May 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: z2015, overrated, ya
Thank God that is over. I could have finished this in a few hours but instead it took me 3 days. I'm getting worked up just thinking about how frustrating this book was. This is more like a rant rather than a review...

Things I did not like about this book:
1) Cody. She was so immature and childish. She constantly slut-shamed everyone. She thought she was amazing just because she was a virgin (she wasn't). She was irritating and self-centered.
2) Ben. Ben started off as a promising character. He
Ahmad Sharabiani
I Was Here, Gayle Forman
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ششم ماه دسامبر سال 2016 میلادی
نویسنده: گیل فورمن؛ تهران، جنگل، 1395، در 288 ص؛ زبان متن: انگلیسی؛ افست از روی چاپ 2015 نیویورک ؛ کتابهای قرائت انگلیسی (متوسطه)؛
ا. شربیانی
Maria Espadinha
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fatal ou Evitável?

Meg e Cody são ervilhas da mesma vagem. Amigas de infância, cresceram inseparáveis até que um daqueles designados motivos de força maior, finalmente as descola!
Concluído o secundário, Meg parte para uma Universidade situada numa cidade distante, mas Cody fica.

Meg era divertida e extrovertida. Dispunha bem os que com ela privavam, agradando naturalmente, sem esforço...
O suicídio e ela não combinavam! Não!... Não com a Meg que Cody tão bem conhecia!
Era inacreditável! Impensável!
Maddie
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreaking, delicate and determined, I Was Here will stand out in my mind when I think back on what I've read this year. Gayle Forman's writing style is something I can only aspire to.
Thomas
Meg and Cody have been best friends forever, until Meg kills herself in a hotel room and leaves the maid a sizable tip. For the past few months, Cody has kept her distance from Meg, separated by all the miles between their dead-end town in Washington and Meg's prestigious college. But when Cody gets the news from Meg's automated email and goes to pack up Meg's remaining belongings, she finds that her best friend has kept secrets from her she never would have expected. Cody embarks on a mission t ...more
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
To read the full review, CLICK ME!

I tried to write a eulogy for that service. I did. I pulled out the disc Meg had burned of firefly songs for inspiration. The third one up was the Bishop Allen track "Fireflies." I don't know if I had ever really listened to the words before, because when I did now, they were like a smack from the grave: It says you can still forgive her. And she will forgive you back.

Suicide is a sensitive, difficult subject to write about and only a handful of authors can pu
Christine Alibutud
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I felt calm, peaceful, and full of love. And in that moment, I was reminded just why God wants us to forgive. Not simply because it’s the key to a better world, but because of what it does for ourselves. Forgiveness is God’s gift to us. Christ forgave us. He forgave our sins. That was his gift. But by allowing us to forgive each other, he opened us up to that divine love. The article had it right...

description
...Forgiveness: It’s a miracle drug. It’s God’s miracle drug.

description

Before anything else, I think t
Claire Robinson
2 - "If that's what happens to normal, what hope is there for the rest of us?" Stars.

I think I should firstly say that I am a huge fan of Gayle Forman’s books. She somehow manages to take a bunch of fairly unremarkable, usual characters and give them what starts out as an ordinary story, but with one unique twist, turns them into extraordinary books. I am guaranteed to need tissues and want a hug after finishing a book by her, but I always feel I am a better person for having read the story she
Emerald
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Anything that kills hope is a sin.”
Kelli
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, ya
Can I just speak to the Author's note? It defies description. It was careful, gentle, thoughtful, respectful. It was long, meaningful, different, relatable. It cited many examples, it offered numerous resources. It screamed: YOU ARE NOT ALONE. PLEASE SEEK HELP. THINGS WILL GET BETTER.

This story was decent. The evolution or uncovering of the main character's relationship with her mother was very well-done. Her grief, confusion, isolation, abandonment...all believable. The narration was excellent.
Tatiana
Feb 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, ya, 2, starred-2015

Some new to me info about "suicide support groups," but otherwise the novel is remarkably average and formulaic - your average narrative voice and even more average i-am-so-special-i-will-turn-a-bad-boy-good romance, of course accompanied by a losing-virginity road trip.
Lara
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I failed her in life. But I won’t fail her in death.”

I have no words left in me to explain how heartbreaking this book was.

Shannelle
Jan 31, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Update #1

Cover. Rant.

When I think of this book, I just think yellow. That horrible yellow shade does not compliment the colors of the photo at all and it clashes in the most horrible way. Leaving it white would have been better instead of dropping the fugliest bright yellow possible in there.

And then who puts the NYT bestselling line in between the author's name? It would be fine if it was aligned or something, but there's just the biggest awkward space after "Gayle" and then it just looks so a
may ❀

I dunno if I am allowed to have an opinion on this book since I've only reached like 25% but I couldn't go farther. It was supposedly about her best friend committing suicide but she's just whining the whole time. Other than that, there's really nothing wrong with the book, just not for me.

Also, I feel like a very unnecessary romance is going to form and I'm just not into it. I'll pass.

“It’s an act of bravery to feel your feelings.”

1.5 stars.

Pinky
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to warn those who wish to read this book that this novel is dealing with suicide

This was something that I don't usually read. It was a heart-breaking novel but I really enjoyed it. I had mixed feelings about this book but I learned so much. It was really different and now I know a little bit about those who deal with depression. This isn't something that I would usually read, but I surprised myself and picked this book up. This book was really dark and it's not one of those cute
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
This book hit me right in the feels.

I mean, it's a book about suicide so I didn't expect it to be light and breezy, but this is a book that deals with serious topics.

But it also has a romance thrown in there, which I thought felt a bit forced? I don't know, I just didn't feel it.

The plot and characters were okay, but the themes were really key in this book.
Rose
Initial reaction: This was a very realistic, while flawed look into one young woman's grief over her best friend's suicide. I liked the attention brought to her grief as well as journeys to understand it, even if some of those steps were rough around the edges and tested my suspension of disbelief.

Full review:

Gayle Forman's "I Was Here" took me by surprise with how much it resonated with me. While I've appreciated Forman's attention to grief and the emotional journeys her flawed characters have
Kim
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A truly touchingly sad story.
Whitney
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Gayle Forman's writing. Her stories are so powerful and interesting to read about.

This book deals with a big issue: suicide. I've read a few contemporary YA novels that deal with suicide (like Saving June which is a great book) and they all have different ways of going about the topic.

The main character and narrator, Cody, is dealing with the recent death of her best friend, Meg. Cody has had a hard life in a very small town and the only stable and constant thing she has had throughout h
What can you say about All_BS? 6 80 Oct 28, 2017 11:56AM
The Book Hangover...: Season one Episode One 1 10 Feb 22, 2017 08:37PM
  • The Start of Me and You (The Start of Me and You, #1)
  • Exit, Pursued by a Bear
  • Silent Alarm
  • Denton Little's Deathdate (Denton Little #1)
  • The Bridge from Me to You
  • The Boy Most Likely To
  • I'll Meet You There
  • The Devil You Know
  • Faking Normal (Faking Normal, #1)
  • Pretending to Be Erica
  • Say What You Will
  • Emmy & Oliver
  • Violent Ends
  • Lies I Told (Lies I Told, #1)
  • The Secrets We Keep
  • When Reason Breaks
  • In a World Just Right
  • First There Was Forever
Award-winning author and journalist Gayle Forman has written several bestselling novels for young adults, including the Just One Series, I Was Here, Where She Went and the #1 New York Times bestseller If I Stay, which has been translated into more than 40 languages and in 2014 was adapted into a major motion picture.

Gayle published Leave Me, her first novel starring adults in 2016 and her latest
“Anything that kills hope is a sin.” 108 likes
“You had a pile of rocks, and you cleaned them up pretty and made a necklace. Meg got jewels, and she hung herself with them.” 105 likes