Start by marking “If You Ever Want to Bring an Alligator to School, Don't!” as Want to Read:
If You Ever Want to Bring an Alligator to School, Don't!

If You Ever Want to Bring an Alligator to School, Don't!

(Magnolia says DON'T!)

Note to self: If your teacher tells you to bring something from nature for show-and-tell, she does not want you to bring an alligator! But nothing will stop Magnolia, who's determined to have the best show-and-tell of all--until her reptilian rapscallion starts getting her into some major trouble. Now it's up to Magnolia to find a way to send this troublemaker home--but wh ...more
Published July 7th 2015 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Be the first to ask a question about If You Ever Want to Bring an Alligator to School, Don't!

Pooja
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Alligators can be such troubles! Never knew this until I came across this series!

As most of us feel the temptation to bring our brand new alligator to the show-and-tell, this children's book comes handy to erase such erratic thoughts.

Matt
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
In our ongoing saga of learning what NOT to do, Neo and I discovered that alligators and school do not mix. It is not necessarily for the presumed reason (picture a cheesy 1970s horror flick), but that the alligator might cause problems and lead to detention or even a trip to the principal's office. Show and Tell would surely be more interesting with an alligator than a hollow stick, but the end result would surely be a pain in the butt. Neo laughed when he saw all the things that alligator did ...more
Archit Ojha
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Often people are encouraged to do what they are told not to do or not supposed to do ever, ever.

If You Ever Want to Bring an Alligator to School, Don't! book knows exactly that. That's why it goes through whole process of telling you why why why you shouldn't ever bring an Alligator to School!

Read it to find out, even if you are an adult, you can still bring an Alligator, but please Don't!
Rashika (is tired)
What do you mean I am too old to be reading picture books? SHUSHHHHH. I READ WHAT I WANT and what I want to read are cute picture books like this one.

A couple months ago, I decided I wanted to read picture books and it’s been an interesting experience. I read middle grade novels often these days and sometimes my age does become an issue, but it’s even harder to ignore that picture books are written for an audience that is NOT me. It is why it’s even harder to come across picture books that compl
Kate Hastings
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
K-3. Students are asked to bring in something from nature to share with the class. MOST kids would think of a stick, a shell, a leaf. But what if you thought bringing an alligator to school was a good idea? It isn't!

Fun to discuss with students why some things are okay to bring to school and some aren't. Highlights some of the thinking process --trying to predict consequences before they happen. Are the consequences justified? What could the student have done differently?

Cute illustrations and p
Magpie67
I guess some kids would think Alligators are awesome and cool and maybe one could them to school, but poor girl discovers Alligators are nothing but trouble. One could have to stand at the end of the line, miss recess or get their name written on the board. Consequences... Imagine, teaching a child about consequences or how to choose better paths. Using the brain matter for thinking... before acting. We have a world full of adults unaware how to behave this way. One could change the title and re ...more
Steve Holden
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the other in Elise Parsley's series I got my hands on. This one is going to be a part of my classroom library and early read aloud! I love it. The story and illustrations are funny, and can be connected to helpful early conversations. Students are asked to bring something of "nature" to share for show and tell. What about an alligator? The story and illustrations fall much in line to the "If you give a mouse a cookie, etc" series and students love simple, silly stories. Give this author ...more
Relyn
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: Show Me Nominee 2017-18
Shelves: library-lessons
As a Missouri public school librarian, I am reading all the Show Me nominees to my second, third, and fourth grade students. This book was is so much fun! The art is wonderful, the story is funny, and the surprise picture on the back end paper provides the perfect jolt of laughter.
Ashley
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Definitely the best out of the three.
Gemma
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
The concept itself is hilarious (because what kid wouldn't want to bring an animal, let ALONE a reptile, for show-and-tell!), but the actual events that unfold coupled with the bold, lined illustrations make this story a must-read (preferably aloud).

I especially love the specific details within the illustrations: Marigold's chalk drawing of her teacher (3 people = the size of an alligator) includes the paper airplane stuck in her teacher's hair, the kid who lost the chunk of hair (via alligator
Rian *fire and books*
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can just imagine going around a room, stomping and yelling for this book.
Jeremy
Similar to Never Take a Shark to the Dentist.
Joleen
Aug 18, 2018 added it
Preparing for 1st graders. Cute book, seriously guys do not bring an alligator to school! If you still feel like you want to bring one, read this book FIRST!
Robyn
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn’t sure what to pick for the edition. I actually have this book with the Moonlite app and projector. I love it! The book itself is cute and I love the alligator. The projector and sound effects make this reading experience extra special.
Juliana Lee
Maria
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
An alligator sounds like a slam dunk idea for nature Show and Tell, but this little girl is here to remind you of some consequences to bringing an alligator to school.

Why I started this book: Found this book from if you like this and then read that list...

Why I finished it: My library's Overdrive had this as a read along. Darling and perfect. I loved the origami, the lunch disaster and the crayon incident. I'll have to purchase hard copies for my library.
Astrid
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, favorites
Irreverent, funny, and so fun to read out loud. It has the gift of being fun for adults and at a different level for children. One little girl's attempt to bring an alligator to school for show n tell ends in mayhem and chaos. They really can't be trusted and you really, really, really don't want to follow in her footsteps.
Courtney Huskisson
I love the story line and is a silly story to spark the question - "What would you bring to show-and-tell?" However, the illustrations were not my favorite; the teacher and the child were a bit too grumpy looking.
Dee Price
When Magnolia decides to bring an alligator to school for show and tell, the day is filled with chaos and mayhem.

I loved this book! It's funny, has amazing illustrations and would make a really good read-aloud!
Aliza Werner
Laugh out loud story of a girl who brings an alligator for show and tell. She's clearly setting her show and tell goals high and interested in science/nature. Reads a bit like "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" with and "if, then" sequence. Hilarious story and illustrations.
Sheila
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the most adorable stories I have read for children. Magnolia takes an alligator to school for show and tell. What a mistake! She gets in a lot of trouble because of him so take her advice and DON'T DO IT! Wonderful illustrations and a fun read.
Megan Smith
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: j-fic, read-alouds
Reminded me of the "If You Give a Mouse..." books in the narrative style and chain of events. Read aloud hit with the 2nd graders. Raucous text and illustrations, very energetic and fun to read.
Josianne Fitzgerald
Super fun to read aloud.
Liza Nahas
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved the illustrations, kids will think they're hilarious. And who doesn't love to see a mischievous alligator causing trouble in school?
Sunah Chung
For the class show-and-tell, Magnolia brings an alligator who causes lots of trouble at school.

It was interesting that the story was written in the subjunctive mood which means it does not happen and is not factual. The story and what happened to Magnolia is imaginary anyway. The story starts with the inside front cover flap. It introduces the character and the protagonist, Magnolia, as being “a one-of-a-kind girl who wants to share something at show-and-tell that really stands out from the cr
Samantha D.
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-study
1. Magnolia decides to bring an alligator to school for show-and-tell. She quickly learns that alligators do not belong in school. This story is about all of the trouble that this alligator causes.
2. This was a funny book and my favorite out of the Magnolia series. I love the illustrations in this book. I would recommend this book to people of all ages.
3. All Elise Parsley books for author study.
"Library Lion" by Michelle Knudsen (theme of wild animals in a school).
4. "The alligator will be q
Isabella Santana
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: super-silly
If You Ever Want to Bring an Alligator to School, Don't is a great book because there is a part where the alligator shows Magnolia (the main character) how to do origami in the middle of class. They build airplanes, boats, and hats, and other things. But they mostly make a big mess. I also like how the alligator tries to eat a kid, but Magnolia saves the day and only a little bit of the kid's hair goes missing. It's a very silly part of the book. And, I like how the alligator hides in Magnolia's ...more
Carlee Freeman
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I read it with the kindergartner and the first-grader that I tutor! The little girl has brought an alligator to school with her for show-and-tell. Throughout the day before show-and-tell, the alligator gets her into all kinds of trouble, including getting hungry and almost eating someone, and many other disruptions. The teacher was not very happy about it but when the little girl goes up and it's finally time for show-and-tell she blows everyone away. Even though she does so w ...more
Madeline Volkman
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
While this book had some informational things about alligators, it wasn't a good book for children to learn from. It was funny and had good illustrations, but I would not choose to read it to a class. I chose this book because it looked interesting but didn't turn out the way I had hoped. One thing that was good about it was that you should listen to your teacher when he or she tells you not to bring something to school.
Debra Lowman
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-kids
K-4. I read this one at preschool story time recently. What a hoot! Kids love show and tell and often labor over what to bring. The illustrations and text drew the kids in immediately. They loved the character expressions (Magnolia's especially) as much as the story line. The kids were belly laughing and even the teacher added a few snorts in the mix. After I finished the story the kids begged to keep it in their classroom longer. What a fun read.
  • Mother Bruce
  • Mustache!
  • The Crocodile Who Didn't like Water
  • Circle, Square, Moose
  • Night Animals
  • The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
  • My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.)
  • Frog on a Log?
  • I Didn't Do My Homework Because...
  • I Really Like Slop! (Elephant & Piggie, #24)
  • Snappsy the Alligator (Did Not Ask to Be in This Book)
  • The Secret Life of Squirrels
  • Toys Meet Snow: Being the Wintertime Adventures of a Curious Stuffed Buffalo, a Sensitive Plush Stingray, and a Book-loving Rubber Ball
  • Naughty Mabel
  • Mustache Baby Meets His Match
  • Kid Sheriff and the Terrible Toads
  • Waddle! Waddle!

Magnolia says DON'T! (4 books)
  • If You Ever Want to Bring a Piano to the Beach, Don't!
  • If You Ever Want to Bring a Circus to the Library, Don't!
  • If You Ever Want to Bring a Pirate to Meet Santa, Don't!