Start by marking “The Wizard Returns (Dorothy Must Die, #0.3)” as Want to Read:
The Wizard Returns (Dorothy Must Die, #0.3)

The Wizard Returns

(Dorothy Must Die 0.3)

The Wizard left Oz in a hot air balloon—or did he? This digital original novella is the third installment in the prequel arc to the edgy and exciting New York Times bestseller Dorothy Must Die.

Dorothy Gale is back . . . and she's not the sweet little heroine of Oz anymore. She's power-hungry and vicious, and she leaves a trail of destruction beneath her spike-heeled, magic

Published March 3rd 2015 by HarperCollins

Candace Robinson
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I normally dislike the Wizard. Especially when James Franco portrayed him. Anyway, after this novella, I still think the Wizard is an idiot of a character. The story however was good! He apparently never left Oz and lost his memories. We find some things out about him, and I guess i'll have to see what is to come next!
Natalie Monroe
Feb 19, 2015 marked it as never-ever-ever-reading-this
For fuck's sake, how many novellas are there?
Veronica Morfi
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4/5

This review has been long overdue.

In the third prequel of the Dorothy Must Die series, we get a glimpse in the life of the Wizard of Oz right after he left for our world with his balloon. It turns out he never made it back. Instead he ended up in the middle of the poppy field where he send a few years sleeping, only to be awaken by a boy telling him that Oz needs him but he first has to go through 3 tests to prove his heart, brain and courage.

This was really enjoyable. I loved learn
Jamie
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Are you ready to learn the truth behind the wizard? It's not pretty. We all though he was just a phony but he was also a jerk (to put it kindly)! Now with no memory he has the chance to set things right. He is given three trials to determine his true character.

This is one of those stories I can't say too much without giving things away. It does answer some things from Dorothy Must Die but also raises others. I am very curious to see how it all ties into the next couple books.

Jess
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-reads
I mean...why does this exist? This was a nonsense story that I don't think added anything, was extremely confusing, and just plain unnecessary.
mith
tbh she needs to chill with the novellas.
Vivian Chen (Vivian's Book Pavilion)
This is post originally on Vivian's Book Pavilion

The Wizard Returns

To be honest…I don’t find this novella so interesting. Not bad, but not interesting as well. We all know that the Wizard involved in some creepy scheme in Dorothy Must Die, but we never know why. I was only so shock that he had such an ending, that plot twist was the best. Yet, what made him do those decision? Although after reading this novella, I couldn’t connect this Wizard and that Wizard…yet it somehow solves some probl
Reddish
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Hex, más mal no me puedes haber caído.

“Do you really think that's how it works? You forget about all the bad things you did, and they just go away? The people you hurt still remember.”
Catherine ♡
Ah, and so Danielle Paige does it again - she turns a distant and mysterious character into one that seems more human, one that has a backstory.

Overall, I wasn't really drawn into this one, but it did give me a better idea of who the Wizard was as a character.
Erica
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This review appears in full on What Am I Reading?

Rate: 3

If Danielle Paige was trying to get me to hate the Wizard, then she did a great job. I was eager to find out what had happened to Wizard after he had "left" and subsequently "returned" later in the story, but I wasn't expecting all of this. The Wizard is selfish, manipulative, and slightly misogynistic. I immediately didn't like him and he had amnesia for crying out loud! Like you must be a terrible person and have a terrible personality if
Ashley
Mar 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I don't think it's ever taken me this long to read a novella. I had a really hard time getting into this. It was definitely my least favorite of the novellas tied to this series.

I wasn't overly interested in the wizard or his story. The other novellas added something to the series at large. They were interesting and helped explain backstories of several important characters. That's not to say the wizard isn't and won't continue to be important in the actual books, his backstory just wasn't all t
Nancy The book junkie
Review coming soon!
Clarissa
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Quick synopsis: This novella picks up immediately after Dorothy’s first triumph, with the Wizard in his hot air balloon leaving Oz. Somehow he crashes lands into a field of some hallucinogenic flower or plant (I’ll be honest, I zoned out) and stays there for 25 years losing all of his memories. He is later found by Pete (aka Ozma has we find out at the end of Dorothy Must Die) and is told he must undergo 3 tests to see if he is worthy of being helped by the fairies to retrieve his memories.

Throu
Milana Waller
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
so the last one was written in third person ... I found myself getting a liiiiiitttle lost with this one but it still wasn’t bad .
Morgan
Well, I suppose one of the novellas had to be a clunker.

This one just felt messy on top of all of the other bleh bits when you read it.

If you've read the first book and the first and second novellas you've seen bits and pieces of the Wizard and know that there's this whole WHAT DOES HE WANT. WHAT IS HE UP TO. vibe.

In this we get a hint of what happened to him after he left Dorothy, in the time since, and what happened before he showed back up in the Emerald City again. But it's all just...meh
Christina
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Wizard is escaping Oz in his balloon but his balloon is caught up in a peculiar storm that sends him plummeting into a sea of poppies. When he wakes, he has lost his memories and a young boy with emerald eyes, Pete tells him of the fairies who can help him if he passes the The Three-Part Test.

The Wizard Returns was a wonderful novella, the last one, and I'm very pumped to start Dorothy Must Die. I reckon the novellas get better and better. I liked the Wingless Ones and the comical reference
Victoria
This was certainly different than the two previous novellas. There was more of an inner battle between doing good or doing evil which I found very interesting. The wizard was quite an enigma in the last novella so I'm glad that I was able to see him from a different point of view here. However, I have no idea whether I like him or not. I guess we'll have to wait and see in the next one.
Desirae
Nothing happens.

Nothing makes sense.

I still don't get how Pete and Ozma are sharing one body.

description
Feb 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Another one that was just ok for me. I'm not enjoying these stories, or the writing, as much as I did in Dorothy Must Die. But I'm willing to stick with it in the hopes that they'll get better??

We'll see.
Anna - Boktycke
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015
The Wizard is much more likable after reading this novella.

Review in Swedish at Boktycke.
Karsyn
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, good for what is it. Working my way through these prequels, the first two I had already read. I'm not a novella/short story fan over all, as I'd just like the full book, but it's cute stories to give some background for what is going on in the main stories so they are worth the read.
Nicole
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-list
I love the prequels. It's great to find out everyone else's part in oz before things got really bad. Can't wait for the second book to be out at the end of the month!
Shelbie Ammirati
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I believe this books intention was to make people NOT like the Wizard. And he is tied with Dorothy on my "characters I don't care for" list. But I am glad to see his side of the story.
Adrián Biháry
Sep 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: novella
Uhh, asi niekedy inokedy.
Cyndi
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ready for book #2...looking forward to that leg of this trip down the yellow brick road.
Ashlyn Stelmach
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was really good! I read a big chunk of it today since I finally had more time. It was still weird that it was written in third person as opposed to first like the other two were but oh well. The characters were pretty good but I docked a star since they weren't described as well as they were in the first two. This was still a pretty awesome book. Can't wait to read the rest of this series!
Brittany Deroche
It isn't that this story was interesting, I just didn't care. I wasn't into it like the others so far. It did give some good insight as to what the wizard was feeling and really up to in then last couple books though. That was nice. But not my favorite by any means.
sonich
Mar 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017, retelling
no, i believe that this is boring. nothing else.
Brittany
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the Wizard's story. I am very excited to move past the prequel stories and get to the main series. I so love dark, twisty Oz. (I never really liked Dorothy
Yvonne (It's All About Books)
brthewizardreturns
Finished reading: June 11th 2015
Rating 2

“I still don’t even know what I’m being tested for.”
“The future of Oz,” Pete said. “No pressure. Like I said, so far, your score is pretty low.”

(view spoiler)
  • After the Ball (Beau Rivage, #1.5)
  • The Rebel (The Maeve'ra, #1.5)
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 3: March/April 2015
  • Rise (Paper Gods #2.5)
  • Before the Claiming (Beautiful Creatures: The Untold Stories, #3)
  • Annie and Fia (Mind Games, #0.5)
  • I AM
  • I Hunt Killers - Free Preview (The First 10 Chapters): with Bonus Prequel Short Story "Career Day"
  • Zombie Cinderella II: The Ball (Zombie Fairy Tales #6)
  • The Sea Witch  (The Era of Villains, #1)
  • The White Swan (Enchanted Fairytales, #5)
  • The Girl Who Read the Stars (Otherworld, #1.5)
  • End Dayz (The Hitchhiker Strain, #0.5)
  • THE ROAD TO HELL
  • Down to the Liar (Trust Me, #1.5)
  • 図書館戦争 LOVE&WAR 15
  • The Moth & the Flame (The Wrath & the Dawn, #0.25)
  • Monster: A Graphic Novel
Danielle lives in NY. Before turning to YA, she worked in television & was nominated for several Daytime Emmy's. Dorothy Must Die is her first novel.

Dorothy Must Die (4 books)
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1)
  • The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die, #2)
  • Yellow Brick War (Dorothy Must Die, #3)
  • The End of Oz (Dorothy Must Die, #4)
“Of course, it was Iris who’d actually exposed the traitor. He could tell Lulu, but Iris was just a young hothead with no sense for politics. She wasn’t suited for Quentin’s position; really, he was doing her a favor, saving her from future embarrassment when she couldn’t handle the responsibility. And if defeating Quentin had been his test, surely this was his reward. He could always award Iris an extra banana allowance once he was officially made chancellor—he wasn’t heartless. Hex bowed politely. “Your Majesty, I’m honored. I’ll certainly consider your offer.” She nodded and tossed the banana peel over her shoulder; a guard hurried forward to catch it. “Now,” she said, “I must attend to my people.” With that, she swept out the door, a scatter of rhinestones sparkling in her wake and the guard trailing behind her.” 2 likes
“None of us know what would have been,” Pete said quietly. “We only know what is.” 0 likes