Start by marking “Grayson, Volume 1: Agents of Spyral” as Want to Read:
Grayson, Volume 1: Agents of Spyral

Grayson, Volume 1: Agents of Spyral

(Grayson #1)

Dick Grayson. Former Sidekick. Former Superhero. Former dead man. Agent of Spyral?!
A thrilling new chapter of Dick Grayson's life begins here. A super-spy espionage thriller that will shock you and prove one thing: you think you know Nightwing--but you don't know Dick.

Collecting: Grayson 1-4, Futures End, materiel from Secret Origins 8
Hardcover, First, 160 pages
Published June 9th 2015 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Grayson, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grayson, Volume 1

Anne
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
You might think you know Nightwing...you don't know Dick.
*slow clap*
So, yeah, that's a pretty cute tagline for DC's new Grayson title.

description

So, you know how...ok wait. If you don't know what happened to Dick in Forever Evil, then this might be a spoiler for you. Everyone else, feel free to keep reading.
*taps foot...waits*
So, you know how Nightwing gets captured, unmasked publicly, and then is killedish?

description

Well, Batman and Grayson have a big pointless fight scene in Nightwing: Setting Son, and Batman or
Sam Quixote
May 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
If you haven’t read Forever Evil (lucky devil!) and don’t want to be spoiled, skip ahead a paragraph.

So in Forever Evil Nightwing was unmasked to everyone in the world to be Dick Grayson. But Geoff Johns wasn’t done with his punching bag yet because Dick got a bomb wired to his heart and was “killed”. Except of course he wasn’t and only he and Batman (and several other DC characters) know it.

Now Dick Grayson is a “dead man” who’s decided to help Batman infiltrate Kathy Kane’s secret spy organisa
Chris
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
2018 Re-review

Like many Nightwing fans, I was concerned about his potential fate following DC's Forever Evil event. His unmasking at the hands of the Crime Syndicate prompted speculation that he'd meet his demise, but then the news broke that he was set to become...an undercover spy? When Batman learns that Spyral may have discovered his secret identity, he sends the presumed-dead Dick Grayson to infiltrate their ranks and learn the truth about the mysterious organisation.

The tone of the serie
Lono
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
description
A D-List character buddy read with my Shallow Comic Reading pals!

description

Ok, I’m really gonna try and not go wall to wall with “Dick” jokes in this one. I promise.

description

FUUUNNN STUFF! With so many mixed reviews for this book, I had no clue where I would land on this one. Well I like Dick….Grayson….Nightwing…..Agent 37….Whatever. Following Forever Evil, Nightwing takes on a new role as Batman’s spy in the clandestine organization known as Spyral. I won’t get into how this all comes to pass, just in case you m
Sesana
Apr 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
This did not work out the way I wanted it to. Sadly. I had read the first issue and liked it. A little tongue in cheek spy action seemed like a fine thing to add to the mainstream DCU. But it just didn't come together.

Largely, that's because there's essentially no forward momentum in what is meant to be the main story. What is Spyral, exactly, and what, exactly, are their end goals? Do they even have end goals? I don't know, most of the characters don't seem to know, and I'm not entirely convinc
Carmen
Jul 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Comic Fans
Recommended to Carmen by: B&N
This comic left me confused and angry.

Dick Grayson has joined an (obviously) evil spy organization. Has he lost his damn mind???!! (view spoiler)

The thing that annoyed me SO MUCH about this book was

1.) Dick Grayson's horrible sexual decisions. Seriously. Are men incapable of saying "no" to sex?!!?! I hate HATE when a book has a man, usually an action-hero type, and then an attractive woman approaches him and comes on to him - and she is CLEA
Gavin
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, comics, digital
Firstly, thanks to NetGalley for an ARC in return for my honest unbiased opinion. Secondly, thanks to DC publishing, who are usually very stingy when it comes to granting NetGalley requests for Canadian readers...but I'm very glad that I got approved this time.

Grayson, of course, is a book about the original Boy Wonder, Dick Grayson. Without a doubt the best Robin ever, the only Nightwing ever, and the best Batman not named Bruce Wayne (it's a short list, but when Bruce was MIA in time and thoug
Joy
"A Hadrian's Woman is like a crossbow. She is drawn and locked, fitted with a quarrel. She is ready and armed...

...before a target ever walks into her line of sight.

Her power is in the tautness of her core. In the tension in her arms. Her power is in her curves."

As a HUGE Dick Grayson fan, I have to say I loved this volume.

Basically, this is post- Nightwing unmasked by the Crime Syndicate and then "killed." Since Dick was outed, he knew he had to lay low and keep letting the world believe he was
Sandra
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love Dick.. Grayson. :)

I am sooooo sorry. I just to throw one out there. Haha.

Yes! I love this. After reading The Court of Owls and City of Owls, I've grown quite fond of Dick... Grayson. He's the type of character you can't help but like. He's good at what he does and has this certain charisma about him. He could get a bit cocky at times which, I think, is part of his appeal.

THINGS THAT I LIKED:

- I really liked Dick... Grayson. Seriously. I like Grayson. Haha. He's quite hot. Sorry. I just
Eli
3.5 stars, to be fair.

I was expecting this to be about Dick as Nightwing, but this takes place after Forever Evil. To avoid spoilers for that volume, I'll just say that this is Dick working for a secret agency named Spyral. He's a secret agent in this, alongside Helena Bertinelli (the Huntress).

The writing here was good and the artwork was pretty good. The plot felt a little dry to me at times (because I'm not big on the whole secret agent thing), but there were some aspects thrown in that made
Mike
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gotta say, I was pretty jazzed about Nightwing turning super-spy - charming, physical and graceful, he's a dreamy guy anyway, and in-the-shadows agent? C'mon, why you gotta threaten my solid heterosexuality like that?

Intro is mighty decent - for all that exposition and catch-up, at least it wasn't talking heads on a TV screen, or a protagonist talking to themselves. I don't quite understand the assassination moment (did Matron know or not?), but let's skip ahead to the action shall we?

The first
Sidekicks Wanted
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc, emily, trade
I'm not terribly well-versed in DC history, so I have no idea what happened to lead into this book. By far, my favorite panels are the sequence where he plays chase with the private school girls. Wait. That sounds wrong. Uh, Dick Grayson is a hotass. You should read this.
Chelsea
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Is it weird that I've developed a crush on a comic character?

I was first introduced to Dick Grayson in Robin Year One. (Okay, that's not true; it was actually Chris O'Donnell in 1997's Batman & Robin but we don't speak of that film. Plus, we don't ever call him Robin). He was this adorable kid with a penchant for terrible puns. Then he became Nightwing and became more of a leader. Now, he looks after the Batfam and he's extremely attractive!

Mikel Janin is probably my favorite artist for Dick
Crazy for Books (Stephanie)
ARC provided by publisher through NetGalley for an honest review.

Dick Grayson, former Robin, former Nightwing, presumed dead, goes to work for the spy organization Spyral as Agent 37. We we discover is things aren't exactly what they seem to me. Dick must decide who he is, who he can trust at the same time trying to keep who he was.

The drawings and coloring was spectacular and the action depicted was really cool. But the story itself lacked any real direction. Everything was inferred and even
RationalLogic
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When it comes to comics, often times the most ridiculous premises produce the best works. In Agents of Spyral, Dick Grayson, the former wisecracking sidekick of Batman who became the charismatic superhero leader Nightwing, infiltrates the aptly named spy organization in an attempt to find out what they know about superhero identities. Those who are familiar with Dick Grayson's previous adventures would imagine that the happy-go-lucky hero makes a rather poor fit in a world of subterfuge. Fortuna ...more
Chelsey
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This is an honest review of an ARC copy provided by NetGalley.

As a long time fan of Nightwing, I was excited to read this comic. The story takes place after the Forever Evil storyline, where Dick Grayson was "killed". In order to protect the ones he loves, he's letting them think he's dead, and has become a spy for the organization Spyral. (Batman, of course, is the only one who knows he's still alive).

I miss seeing Dick interact with the other Gotham heroes and villains, but it's nice to see h
Albert
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Grayson, Vol. 1: Agents of Spyral by Tim Seeley is a refreshing and ambitious take on the character of Dick Grayson, Robin the Boy Wonder, Nightwing and part-time Batman. Now a secret agent for the sinister group known as Spyral.

A quick recap finds Grayson presumed dead, his identity compromised by the Crime Syndicate. Grayson is floundering, no longer Robin and no longer able to be Nightwing. He is recruited by Spyral to become their newest agent, #37. Dick accepts the challenged but is actuall
Joseph
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well, I can't help it. Giving Grayson 5 whole stars, I mean. This is absolutely my favorite series at the moment. The writing is fun and sexy, the art is fun and sexy, and Dick Grayson is fun and sexy! What more could you ask for?

After the events of Forever Evil, when Nightwing's secret identity was released to the world, Batman decided that Dick would go undercover and try to get to the bottom of a particular mystery. In doing so, Grayson emerges from the shadow of the Bat once again, and beco
Craig
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't hate it, but I wasn't exactly in love with this either. Dick Grayson, former Robin, former Nightwing, had his identity outed to the world (shades of Daredevil/Matt Murdock) and was apparently killed. Except he's not really dead and now he's been recruited as an agent of Spyral, a supersecret spy agency that's not really on the up-and-up. He's there to provide some eyes and ears on the inside and pass info on to his mentor, Batman. The artwork isn't bad in this, and the stories aren't te ...more
Juli!~
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, amazing, perfect. Probably the best DC on-going series right now. If you don't love this series, we can't be friends.
Aaron
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow, what a light, creative blast this was! Also, a very welcome change from the heavy, depressing slog most of The New 52 has been. I know Tom King has now become Everyone's Favorite Writer, and if this relatively frivolous series is any indication of his talent, I'm very excited to finally catch up with the rest of the world and follow his work closely.

I've seen a lot of reviews that point out the James Bond parallels in this series, as well as the double entendres and innuendo. While that is
GrilledCheeseSamurai
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, dc
Dick Grayson, Robin the Boy wonder, Night Wing, and now Agent 37.

Yup, Dick Grayson is now a super spy for some organization called Spyral. I don't know if they are good guys or bad guys. They seem like maybe a bit of both.

I also don't know if Dick Grayson is working for them...or working with Batman to help bring them down. This first volume doesn't tell us any of that.

Ther were moments of cool...the Dick jokes were a little out of hand but I was able to put up with them.

Mostly though...it just
Joanna
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I get it.Guns make things go faster.
But what's the damn rush?
Samantha
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dick Grayson. He's been a trapeze artist, he's been Robin, he's been Nightwing, and now the former boy wonder is Agent 37.

First and foremost I have to say that Dick was never my favorite Robin - that title belongs to Jason Todd. I think the main reason why Dick has always been pushed to the wayside for me is because I never really got to know him, until now. And while Jason will always be number 1 in my eyes, Dick is definitely a close second now.

As I said before I have never really gotten to kn
K.
Man, it is such a jarring change to go from Mikel Janín's beautiful rendition of Dick Grayson to the, uh, more utilitarian version by Stephen Mooney at the end. Janín does justice to Dick's much vaunted physique in addition to creating layouts to emphasize his acrobatics. It's lovely and dynamic and is one of the few times a comic book seems to be catering to the (het) female gaze.

I am absolutely enamored.

To be honest, most of this four star rating is for the art. Otherwise, Grayson, Vol.1 is a
Adriana
(**This review is based on reading the single issues that will be contained in the graphic novel**)
Dick Grayson is a fun character so it’s pretty easy to create a story for him that contains comedic elements, what Seeley manages to do is to also fill it with intrigue and mystery.
The one-liners and jokes about Dick’s perfect butt are all there, only they’re enhanced by a great story that gives you pieces of a whole bit by bit.
My one thing would be that while the action is great and there’s some
Sans
This is the first DC work I've read...ever I believe. I picked it up because I'm one of the many who saw the bruhaha over the newest Midnighter comic run and was curious about the characters. When I found out it was a continuation of a series that sprouted out of Grayson, I figured I'd start here and work my way forward (though I think I need to backtrack a bit more to StormWatch to figure out what the drama is between Midnighter and Apollo?).

As an introduction to Dick Grayson/Nightwing, this d
Patrick
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Grayson has been one of those books where I'll read an issue and love it. Then read the next two and hate them. An up and down series for me Honestly. I will say the Artwork is crisp. And quite fantastic at times. The story is interesting as a whole. But the whole "Let's objectify Dick as much as we can" Is getting old. I get they do it for a laugh or for the Ladies. But I wanna read a good Dick Grayson story.. Not have some boarding school girls chase him around campus trying to grab his butt. ...more
Jim
I like this different take on Dick Grayson.

After it appears that he's killed in other comics, he lets the world believe he's dead. So he drops the superhero schtick and becomes a spy.

I really got into this story and am looking forward to future installments. There wasn't necessarily anything I specifically loved, but it was interesting, and it was nice getting to know some of the Batman cast after I'd been gone awhile.

Actually, they include a Futures End story. Which, like I noticed in Detect
Heather Rochon
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: heather-reviews
I received Grayson: Agents of Spyral from NetGalley as part of a "Young Gotham Sampler."

As a longtime fan of Nightwing, I was beyond thrilled to read the new 52. The story line was very intriguing-- a new chapter of Dick's life as a spy is just beginning. I also enjoyed the art very much and the entirely new conception of Dick Grayson and Nightwing. Very highly recommended to any fans of the Bat-verse.

5/5 stars.

Since the Galley I received was just a sampler, further review will come upon my read
Madison Mega-Mara...: #191 Grayson, volume 1 by Tim Seeley 1 1 Jan 09, 2016 12:57AM
  • Nightwing, Volume 4: Second City

• Grayson, Volume 2: We All Die At Dawn
  • Grayson, Volume 3: Nemesis
  • Grayson, Volume 4: A Ghost in the Tomb
  • Grayson, Volume 5: Spiral's End
“You're not a superhero. You're a spy. With a gun. You're not Wing-Knight or Nightwing or whatever. You're agent 37.” 0 likes