Start by marking “The Tiger (Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Tiger (Love, #1)

The Tiger

(Love #1)

A day in the life of the king of the jungle, this lavishly illustrated story follows a single majestic tiger through a wordless adventure of survival as it hunts prey and defends itself from other would-be killers defending their territory. This exciting tale is told without narration or dialogue, conveyed entirely through the beautiful illustrations of Federico Bertolucci ...more
Published February 10th 2015 by Magnetic Press (first published May 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Tiger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tiger

karen
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it

i'm glad i read The Fox - the second volume of this standalone graphic novel "series" first. i definitely liked this one, but that fox one made me immediately order this one in with "must have" fervor, and i didn't feel the same sense of urgency after reading this one.

photo IMG_7266_zpsod1k5j0f.jpg

it's the same format as The Fox - wordless sequential art that represents a "day in the life" of a tiger as it hunts, fights, and eventually gets a good meal. the art is great, but it's somewhat less-great than fox. i do not have
Carmen
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
This book is absolutely gorgeous, a hardcover graphic novel about life in the jungle.

It features and follows a tiger, but the tiger also encounters and engages with other animals on his (her?) journey: tapirs, elephants, panthers, peacocks and more.

This book has no words and is a graphic novel that is engaging and perfect for any age group, children, teenagers, and adults. It's not childish but it's not "too adult" either. ANYONE of any age could enjoy this.

The illustrations are beautiful and br
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
A day in the life of the king of the jungle.

Somehow I found this graphic novels aimed for children quite ironic. Hard to explain without not revealing the end of the story.

(view spoiler)

But what I can say is that the tiger is hunting food and we get to follow it through the day as it tries is best to get a snack and meanwhile it run into other animals both dangerou
Erica
That is not Bagheera and Shere Kahn on the cover, despite what I thought when I grabbed this book. It is, however, a representation of what Toki and Evie think is happening when they're rough housing (Evie being the tiger and Toki the panther)

This book contains depictions of violence and survival within nature. It is intended for ALL AGES

Hahaha! Not here in the US, it's not! Dude, there's violence and death and slug sex and elephant sex and we must not allow the little childrens to see such hars
Sesana
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
Received from Netgalley for review.

It's all about the art. This is a wordless book, so the art has to carry the day. And it absolutely does. I mean, look at that cover. It's beautiful, and detailed, and, most importantly, accurate. The art inside is the same. And it would have to be, for this story. Because this is simply an unsentimental "day in the life" story, except that it's a day in the life of a wild tiger looking for a meal. I know it doesn't sound like much, and it is a very short book.
Kelli
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
A day in the life of a tiger, complete with awe-inspiring artwork and a surprise ending.
Trish
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an art book about one day in the life of a tiger. Some scenes remind me a bit of Disney's The Jungle Book bu I might just be too influenced because I grew up with that movie and watched the new life-action version only this past weekend.
However, as far as my research showed, the author did a lot of research into the natural behaviour of the tiger so all the encounters shown in this book actually occur like this in the wild (although maybe not all in one day ;P).
Anyway, the book has panel
Christine
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Did not see that ending coming.

Beautiful.
Raina
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Raina by: Scott
There's something magical about removing humans from the equation.

This wordless, full-color graphic novel follows the journey of a tiger through the jungle, with tangent glimpses into other animal lives.
The book itself is large (around the size of a piece of amerikan printer paper) and slim (the narrative ends at page 74), with rounded corners on the cover and stunning end papers. There are poignant quotes before and after the narrative, and a few pages of extra matter at the back.

The concept i
Maxine Marsh
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful artwork and a surprisingly emotional storyline for a book about animals, completely without dialogue.
Andreea
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from NetGalley.com for my honest review!

In this graphic novel the reader gets to experience a day in a tigers life. The illustrations are dynamic and they present the hard life of a big cat as it searches for food. The art style is absolutely amazing and the colors are vivid making it an amazing read. The artist managed to present the animals and the landscape in their most beautiful way with the help from traditional art.
Littlebookterror
The artwork is truly incredible. I loved the realistic style, the rich colours and the attention to details. Every background was rendered beautifully. While the panelling is rather simplistic, it adds to the overall appeal.
While the title character may play an important role in this story, it's more of an exploration of life in the jungle and interaction of the animals in them. It's basically a slice-of-life with animals.

What put me off giving it five stars is the something weird anatomy of the
Pavel Pravda
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love series - four trips into animal’s world

Czech version here: vlcibouda.net/komiks/love-ctyri-vylety-sveta-zvirat

Writer Frédéric Brrémaud and artist Federico Bertolucci created comics series named Love. No, it’s not erotic series, but a bit of that is there also. This series is about animals. Not about antropomorf animals, as is usual in comics books and animated movies. This is about wild animals. It’s like National Geographic documentary movies. These animals don’t talk. They are hungry, the
Theediscerning
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
As beautiful as this may be, it's also inherently stupid. In trying to show the saga of a day in the life of a tiger it makes everything in the jungle inter-related, with this eating that then getting chased by the other, while that is on hand for something else again to die, so what we end up with is a bizarre amalgam of spiritual animal horror, fable, and heavily truncated nature documentary about this particular food chain. If it were to have a voice-over it would be one of those stupid, anth ...more
David Schaafsma
A day in the life of a tiger, with a focus on interactions between the tiger and other animals, sometimes violent, of course, since the tiger is constantly hungry. Silent, it is framed by thoughts about love and hate not being part of the animal kingdom. I thought it was a little Disney-esque, in a bad way, too simplistic, a little too cinematic and cloying though still accomplished art work by Federico Bertolucci.
Amber Sanders
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations, the story flowed effortlessly without the use of words, or even sound descriptions. Hard to do considering this is a children's graphic novel. I was completely entranced with what was happening, finding myself invested in not only the tiger's storyline but the animals around him. Still not completely sure how I feel about the tiger and it's eventual success at the very end.

Beautifully done 4/5
Ali Adiby
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love: The Tiger..More like Life: The Tiger...could easily be reflected on how life treats any living being..no dialog but quite a powerful book with some deep meaning.
Dolly
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading graphic novels
This is a wordless graphic novel, gorgeously illustrated, depicting a day in the life of a tiger in the jungle - perhaps in India or Sri Lanka (guess based on the habitat of the Bengal tiger as well as the other animals in the book, but could also be Bangladesh, Myanmar, or Malaysia).

I was intrigued by the title and mesmerized by the pictures. Since I had already read the third book in the series, each featuring a different wild animal, I knew what to expect, although I must admit the ending sur
Madison Lourette
Love the Tiger is a wordless, short comic about a tiger going through its daily life of hunting things and traveling around. The tiger sees other animals like elephants and such, in the jungle that the tiger lives. The art style is very interesting, and is more on the semi-realistic side of things. One tiny detail that I loved about this book is how the tiger's eyes have pupils when he isn't hunting, but when he is, his eyes lose their pupils. It creates this cool sorta feral-wild animal esc fee ...more
Jonathan Maas
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book, great art. Only warning - this is not a children's book. It's quite intense ;)
Dawn
Apr 30, 2019 added it
A hard look at a hard life- in the jungle! Told with only pictures, it takes you on a journey in the jungle. A huge range of emotions will be felt as the story unfolds with breath taking artwork.
Mallory (toweroftomes)
Review originally posted on my blog The Leaning Tower of Tomes: https://leaningtoweroftomes.wordpress...

The Tiger is a gorgeous depiction of one tiger's day in the jungle. It has no text as the story is told through the colorful and detailed illustrations by Federico Bertolucci. While the book focuses on the tiger that is trying to secure a meal, the story also gives us glimpses of other wildlife going about their lives. It is sad, funny, and serious. I found myself pondering and pausing as the
amomentsilence
This review can be found in its entirety on my blog:
Reckless Indulgence | of the Written Word

This story was wonderfully told, like a silent film. There were no words, only visual stimulus to tell a well-thought out tale… of nature and beauty, and a savage, ancient love we as human beings will never understand. It was a true telling of “the circle of life” and all that truly entails. No singing and dancing. Just life and death. Survival of all, not just the fittest. Mankind has long since clung t
Ulises M
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I admire the bravery of those authors who dare to try something different and succeed, especially in a genre doesn’t allow authors much room for creativity (plot-wise) like the comic and graphic novel. Instead of walking down the beaten path and creating a story whose narrative structure follows the conventions we are used to, Bertolucci and Brrémaud decided to do something more experimental: draw one day in the life of a wild animal.

Volume 1 of the Love series follows the misadventures of a tig
Wayne McCoy
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Love Volume 1: The Tiger' is a strangely named title for a book about a tiger stalking it's prey (and being stalked). I'm actually not sure where the title comes from based on this book. Still, the glorious illustrations kept me completely glued to the pages.

It's a completely wordless book. We only have the pictures to guide us along the story. We see a tiger stalking his prey. The prey is able to vanish by falling into a river. The tiger attempts to catch the critter and finds himself in a fi
Bea
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a book for older children, not little ones, about African tigers. Written in graphic novel style but minus any text, it takes us through a day in the life. There are scenes of the tiger hunting food and fighting with other big cats, with some blood shed so keep an eye on younger readers. While not gory, neither is the violence off the page. There were a few animals I didn't recognize and since there's no text I had to guess. I wish there were an index to clue us in and to give us facts a ...more
Brent
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all readers
Recommended to Brent by: Carlos Museum Bookshop
I had not seen this until now, a wordless view of a jungle ecosystem, following the tiger and neighboring creatures including elephants, panthers, biting fish, and more creatures great and small, even ants. The only human protagonist ends in an unfortunate encounter with the tiger at story's end, and there are some fanciful depictions of beautifully illustrated creatures copulating. So, there is that: this is improperly shelved in the children's section, in some ways. I would love to hear a biol ...more
Whitney
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Moral of the story: nature's a beautiful bitch, yo.

(view spoiler)
Calliope
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
The title seems poorly chosen; it's too broad. The quotes at the beginning and end also feel a bit heavy-handed. The fantastic art in this volume more than make up for that, however.

I would recommend this for middle schoolers and up, but mature elementary schoolers wouldn't have too much trouble with it. There's death and violence, including against humans, and the tiniest bit of animal sex that some kids probably wouldn't even notice.
Melle
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like nature documentaries
Wow. This is a feast for the eyes. A brutal, frightening, glorious, awe-inspiring, breathtaking, sumptuous, vivid, delicious feast. (Except for the pictures of snakes for the ophidiophobes among us. Very realistic, very terrifying, not okay.) It's a wordless story, and it might not be appropriate for all ages and sensitivity levels, but it's a not-to-be missed work of art. It's like a cross between PBS Nature and The Jungle Book but without any words or anthropomorphism.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Good Dog
  • Iron: Or, the War After
  • Figment
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 4
  • Where's Halmoni?
  • Sweaterweather: & Other Short Stories
  • Age of Reptiles Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • The Crabby Condition (The March of the Crabs #1)
  • Dogs of War
  • Grandville Mon Amour (Grandville #2)
  • Un océan d'amour
  • Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites
  • Kome Si Belang vol. 1 (Kome, #1)
  • Écumes
  • Panter
  • Binky Takes Charge (Binky)
  • Herobear and the Kid Volume 1: The Inheritance
  • Peanutbutter & Jeremy's Best Book Ever
Brrémaud, de son vrai nom Frédéric Brémaud, né le 11 mars 1973 à Séoul, est un scénariste de bande dessinée français. Il signe également sous les noms de Brr ou Frédéric Alléluïa Brémaud

Love (4 books)
  • The Fox (Love, #2)
  • Le Lion (Love, #3)
  • Les Dinosaures (Love, #4)