Start by marking “Resistance is Futile” as Want to Read:
Resistance is Futile

Resistance is Futile

Connie thinks she's never met anyone quite like Luke Beith before.

She has no idea how right she is.

As a high-ranking mathematician in a male-dominated field - with bright red hair - Connie's used to being considered a little unusual.

But she's nowhere near as peculiar as Luke, who is recruited to work alongside her on a top-secret code breaking project.

Just what is this biz
Published May 28th 2015 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Resistance is Futile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resistance is Futile

Start your review of Resistance is Futile
Justine
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
A surprisingly good book that I thoroughly enjoyed. Part SF drama and part mystery with an element of romance that was not overdone. The comedic writing tied everything together and made the wonderful mix of characters that much more real and emotionally engaging.

The style reminded me a little of Maureen Johnson, another writer who mixes emotions so well in her books. I would be happy to read more from Colgan.
Lindsay
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Laugh out loud funny and ugly crying sad at times, this "fluffy" SF romance has unexpected depth.

Connie MacAdair is a mathematician recruited as part of a team at the top of her particular area of mathematics brought together to crack what may be a message from the stars. The team of mathematicians is strange ("they're a frog box"), but one of them, Luke Beith, is much stranger than the others.

This is a wonderful story that changes identity several times as it goes on. It starts off as something
Liz Maguire
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Resistance is Futile is described on the back cover as “Bridget Jones meets Independence Day”. Immediately that had me intrigued, I’ll admit. I’m human enough to confess that the cover art—catching, graphic and straightforward— grabbed my attention first. Supposedly this is authored by “J.T. Colgan” as the inside title page and “other works” page list, but I can’t help to wonder if because my copy is an uncorrected proof, they [ being the publisher] hadn’t noticed the use of Jenny T. Colgan on t ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
Nov 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
THERE WILL BE SPOILERS:

I feel this was a bit false advertising, I mean look at that cover, Kinsella says it was funny and romantic. Well, I will bloody well tell you now, there is no HEA. I repeat, there is no HEA, oh and he dies. He bloody well dies.

Yes, I feel liked I hope and thought something then wtf.

Ok so a bunch of smart people are put in a "dungeon" to figure something out.

Stuff happens.

Booooooooo
Billiebumblebee
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I think I may have fallen victim to the judging-an-author-on-no grounds-what-so-ever thing, because whenever I've seen a Jenny Colgan book, with titles such as Meet Me at the Cupcake Café, I've just dismissed it at once as something I probably won't like. And to be fair, I'm still not sure if Jenny Colgan is for me, but Jenny T Colgan definitely is.

I had no idea that she also writes under this alternative name and considering the other books she's written under it (three Doctor Who novels) I'm
Julia
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kim, Elina
Recommended to Julia by: Katarina
3-leaning-on-4 stars which is exceptional for this genre!

My sister basically forced this book on me, because I'm a mathematician and I studied in Glasgow and I'm female, like the MC in this novel. I'm so glad she did!

This was a wonder to read, very entertaining and funny. I'm a bit apprehensive about mathsy books (I get that it's hard for non-mathematicians to get maths right and I have massive respect for Colgan who pulled it off!!). I was also a bit apprehensive because this book is set in q
Paige
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Now I took a gamble with this book and after a good start I was hoping for a good read. Unfortunatley the book lost its way about half way through the book, characters did stuff they shouldnt do and I didnt really get the attraction between the two main characters.

Worst thing however was how the author was trying to write to a younger audience by throwing in pointless popculture references but it just confuses the time period and makes it in consist. For example one character is smoking in a pub
Charlotta
May 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was fine as light entertainment but I didn't find it funny or romantic. Insta-love and one-dimensional characters. Not nearly enough geekery. A disappointment.
Vicky Ball
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't love a story about when red hair mathematician girl meets geeky alien fish boy?
Maggie Craig
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daft. Dazzling. Original. Inventive. Funny. Moving.

I loved this book.

Her style is all her own but she goes off at times on hilarious wee tangents about characters whose paths cross those of the main characters only briefly in a way that reminds me of the late, great Douglas Adams of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fame.
Celia
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first half of this book, but the second half was extremely disappointing. The love story between Luke and Connie is not credible, and there is absolutely no character development. The ending wasn't moving, and didn't really bring anything to the story.
It had potential, but it would have been way better off without the forced love story.
Oda Renate
Feb 26, 2017 added it
Shelves: books-i-own
dnf-red at 130-..
cba.
Novelle Novels
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 out of 5 stars
What a surprising book!!! I have not read Jenny colgan’s books in a while so picked this up unsure how I would feel about it so had no preconceptions of it which made it more exciting and exciting sums it up perfectly. Connie is a mathematician given a job with no job title other than to figure out the numbers she is given, she meets fellow mathematicians who don’t know why they are all together. She meets Luke who seems different and they are drawn together with no idea why. Wh
Kelly
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Matt Haig's The Humans
3.5 stars. I really liked this at the start, when it was quirky and fun, but it started to lose wind towards the end. I enjoy Jenny Colgan books, and this was a departure from the cupcake style rom-coms she usually writes, but which employed the same lovable and wry tone which is her signature.

(Also, this could have used another proofread by the publishers as there were a few words missing, quotation marks missing, and other minor, distracting, grammatical errors.)
putri
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
‘Everyone is an alien. And even when you are in love with someone, even when you think you know them better than you know yourself; even when you think you know everything about them and they you, and you live in each other’s souls. Even then you know nothing about them at all.’
Christine
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely an original kind of romance! The ending was unexpected & touching ...more
Rebecca
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Clever, beautiful love story, with an unexpectedly heartbreaking ending. I particularly loved the science, the exploration of the relationships between introverted/geeky people and others in academia, and especially Luke.
Zarina
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it

Resistance is Futile focuses on Connie, an incredibly smart young woman who is offered a research position at a university which sounds like an amazing opportunity. Almost too good to be true, which she soon realises when she discovers that she'll actually be part of a team, rather than get the chance to work alone, and the the code they're hired to break may be even too alien for the cleverest people in the world...

Connie was a fantastic main character; i
Maureen
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
In ‘Resistance is Futile’ we meet Connie, a mathematician with bright red hair. Not only Connie’s hair is something that makes you notice her, being a mathematician and a woman is also definitely reason to notice Connie. When Connie gets offered a job she immediately excepts, not knowing that this job involves working with a view other mathematicians and that it’s a top-secret code-breaking project. One of her new colleagues is Luke Beith. Luke is a very peculiar guy and definitely fascinates Co ...more
Angela Oliver
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Resistance is Futile" is both fun and carries a few surprises, especially for those that were expecting something more along the lines of Colgan's earlier novels - which are more standard feelgood-romances (excluding the Dr Who ones, of course). "Resistance is Futile" has been described as Bridget Jones meets the Matrix, and although I am not entirely sure how accurate the description is, it does give you some idea of what to expect.

Connie is a mathematical genius, one of the top in her field,
Anna Knight
What I loved: the concept. A chick lit book with a female mathematician as the main character? Where the supporting characters are also mathematicians? And they actually resemble the people in the field – warm, funny, smart, sarcastic people? Sign me up! As it went along, it turned into (light) sci-fi – “here be aliens” – but that’s never a bad thing in my eyes.

I also loved the supporting cast, but there was a slight problem: we were told a little too much about minor characters for their invol
Richard
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Well, this fluctuated from 2 to 4 stars, so ends up with 3. I like the premise, I like a lot of things about the alien and the unseen aliens, I like some of the ideas. The story was okay, but what really got to me were the inconsistencies. That the characters are mathematicians felt like a contrivance for the sake of the plot, as they did not feel right - I did like many of them, but everything was just a little too pat and fitted into obvious boxes.
This was a story that centred on the plot, and
Paris Baker
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Originally posted on Paris Baker's Book Nook.

I’ve been a huge fan of Jenny Colgan’s beautiful romantic comedies for years, but I’ve also always loved the fact that Jenny has a nerd-side and is a Whovian, much like myself. Therefore, when I first heard about Jenny’s new sci-fi novel, my inner fangirl was jumping for joy, and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. Many thanks to Orbit for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I’m going to keep my review pretty short and sweet
Roman Clodia
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It’s difficult to articulate how much I adored this book without gushing! Funny, wise, satirical, big-hearted and swooningly romantic, Colgan has written something really special.

I would strongly recommend that you try to avoid reading reviews which detail the plot since one of the pleasures of the book is the unexpected turns that the story takes – what starts off as a geeky, tongue-in-cheek look at what happens when a group of nerdy mathematicians are closeted together on a top-secret project
Nicky Foster
Mar 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
A long time ago I remember reading some of Jenny Colgan's books and enjoying her characterisation, comedy and easy reading style so I thought I would give this a try. Resistance is Futile tries to be a sci-fi/comedy/romance but doesn't manage to be any of these. Although it started off ok it felt like the comedy was forced. Puns and funny comments were crowbarred in at inappropriate times. The characters were very cliched and not particularly likeable and the plot was ridiculously farcical.
The r
Kalilka
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was a surprising book. I bought it in a thrift shop, thinking ´Geeks. Romance. Cool.' Basically. Then I read about four chapters and BAM. Suddenly it's Sci-fi. I'm not complaining, though. That just means that to me, the book suddenly got 10x more interesting.

But Sci-fi twist aside, this book really didn't do it for me. I found it lacking in not just one but several areas. First off, the writing is less than sharp. 'Yeah, but it's chic-lit!' you might think. Well, in my opinion a book is a
Victoria
Bit of a disappointment. I picked this up mostly as a light read, not expecting much of it. Unfortunately, even though the story has some promise, I just couldn't keep reading it. The humour has that "this is funny-adjacent" quality about it, where the structure and tone is there for a joke, but the delivery is all wrong and flat. The characters are fine, and that's pretty much all I can tell you about them. But probably the worst thing about this book is that it doesn't seem to have been even g ...more
Riikka
I chose this book at Waterstones in London based on the cover and back cover from the romance section of the store and I have to say I'm quite disappointed. First, the story really doesn't match the idea I got from the back cover and it really threw me for quite some time. Then I also felt it wasn't really a romance, not in a more traditional sense anyway. First and foremost I'd call this scifi, which is fine, just not what I thought I bought.

The story was mostly ok. There were parts that were t
mara0b
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
I don't know. I really did not like how the story was written and developed. Connie was just such an immature character. Luke was okay. Hald of the descriptions of places and people were so freaking unclear I could hardly imagine the story play in my head. Like what's Luke like? (Spoiler) How does the message they have to translate look like? How is it a picture but also a threat???
Why were the characters in love with each other is still unclear to me. Maybe I'm a cold harted lil bitch but I ne
Lauren James
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! As a female scientist, it's incredibly refreshing to read a book about someone like me - especially as Connie isn't a genius, she's a normal, relatable protagonist, who happens to be good at maths.
As for Luke, oh my god. What an incredible character. He's so adorably awkward and sweet and completely original. I fell in love completely with the story, the characters, and the world of RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.
I wish it had been twice as long, because I never want to sto
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Spandex and the City
  • Rules (Maggie Adair #2)
  • A Very Distant Shore (Summer Seaside Kitchen #0.5)
  • Date with Poison (The Dales Detective Series)
  • Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend
  • Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery (Little Beach Street Bakery #2)
  • The Beach Café (The Beach Café, #1)
  • Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop
  • Quand nos souvenirs viendront danser
  • Little Beach Street Bakery (Little Beach Street Bakery #1)
  • When the Dogs Don't Bark: A Forensic Scientist’s Search for the Truth
  • True Love at the Lonely Hearts Bookshop (Lonely Hearts Bookshop #2)
  • 500 Miles from You
  • When Angels Sleep (Holly Wakefield, #2)
  • Invisible Girl
  • The Good, The Bad And The Dumped
  • Christmas at Little Beach Street Bakery (Little Beach Street Bakery #3)
  • Where Have All the Boys Gone?
Jenny T. Colgan is a pseudonym of author Jenny Colgan.

Jenny Colgan is the author of numerous bestselling novels, including 'The Little Shop of Happy Ever After' and 'Summer at the Little Beach Street Bakery', which are also published by Sphere.' Meet Me at the Cupcake Café' won the 2012 Melissa Nathan Award for Comedy Romance and was a Sunday Times Top Ten bestseller, as was 'Welcome to Rosie Hopk