Jump to ratings and reviews

The Riven Wyrde Saga #2

Fae: The Realm of Twilight

The Riven Wyrde Saga continues...

The Wyrde is dead and gone, its protection passed into the ether. The fae have been loosed upon the world as they begin their wild hunt, a nightmare from fable and legend made flesh.

At Hesk, in the heart of the Barren Isles, Ylsriss must confront a reality she never could have imagined when her son is stolen from her by the fae. Her desperate attempts to reclaim him lead her far from her own world and deep into the Realm of Twilight, where a still darker truth awaits her.

As the Bjornmen invaders drive their way deeper into Anlan, King Pieter refuses to act. Selena is forced to confront him directly even as Devin and Obair flee Widdengate and begin a search for answers, seeking help from a woman who may be little more than a memory.

330 pages, Kindle Edition

First published November 30, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Graham Austin-King

12 books325 followers

Graham Austin-King was born in the south of England and weaned on broken swords and half-forgotten spells. A shortage of these forced him to consume fantasy novels at an ever-increasing rate, turning to computers and tabletop gaming between meals.

He experimented with writing at the beginning of an education that meandered through journalism, international relations, and law. To this day he is committed to never allowing those first efforts to reach public eyes.

After spending a decade in Canada, learning what 'cold' really means, and being horrified by poutine, he settled once again in the UK with a seemingly endless horde of children.

To date he is the author of five novels, drawing on a foundation of literary influences ranging from David Eddings to Clive Barker.

Sign up to the spam-free mailing list to hear about upcoming releases and special discounts at http://www.grahamaustin-king.com/read...

Find Graham on facebook at http://on.fb.me/1pMyWmK He loves to chat with readers.

Follow him on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/Grayaustin

What others are saying about Graham's books:

"Austin-King's writing is descriptive and layered, full of mystery and tension..." - Sarah Chorn, Bookworm Blues

"The action is great, the suspense is well done and the Fae are truly scary." - Leanne Ellis, Bloody Cake News

"...If you like fantasy books which you can really get stuck into then this one is for you!" - Bodicia, A Woman's Wisdom Blog

"...This is a fantastic fantasy! I loved it!" - Lynn Worton, Book Reviews by Lynn.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
16 (3%)
1 star
3 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 55 reviews
Profile Image for Beatriz Cunha Tavares ☾.
60 reviews17 followers
January 7, 2018
4.5*, but I’m rounding up to 5* and adding it to my favorites shelf because it was reeeally great.

This is the second instalment in Graham Austin-King’s The River Wyrde Saga, and I’m glad to say it doesn’t suffer from the well famous second book syndrome. While in the first book things were just being presented to the reader and only started to really develop towards the end, in this one we barely had slow chapters and it was very action packed.

In The Realm of Twilight, we’re transported to the Fae’s world and get to know a bit of the Fae’s backstory, how they lived many years ago and how the war between Fae and Humans started… but we also learn that not all Fae are what they seem. This was the highest point for me, because in book one we learnt very little about the Fae, even though this is a series focused on Fae. But in this one things really got deeper into that matter and the Fae had a huge role in the story. The Fae are very interesting creatures and their world is greatly built, with lots of magic and an interesting approach to the use of light, heat, and energy in general.

Also, the other plots that were left hanging in book one had a great development; the author gives us amazing action and battle scenes as the Bjornmen keep invading more of the Anlan lands. The tactics and politics in this are intriguing and well crafted, and I always love a story with good politics.
Unfortunately, this is also the point that made me rate this book with “only” 4.5 stars; I really found Selena’s chapters a bit boring. The premise that the king is watching his lands being invaded and doesn’t seem to care enough to act, and so a strong woman needs to act and try to wake him up is great, but it fell a little too flat. I don’t seem to be able to connect with Selena’s character, so I don’t think she fulfils her role in these chapters as well as it was deserved.

To wrap up this review, here’s one of the best messages this book leaves us:

”Obair looked back at the smoke, tinged red with sparks and floating embers, that belched up from the palisade where the firepot had struck. He looked at the flames, shaking his head in wonder and disgust. He’d come to try and warn mankind about the fae but, as he watched the Bjornmen surge forward, he wondered who would warn mankind about itself”

The war between Fae and Humans is a tale of good vs. evil. But, with humans fighting among each other, where do we draw the line on what’s good and what’s evil?
Profile Image for J.P. Ashman.
Author 9 books408 followers
March 17, 2017
Listened to this on Audible. A solid 5* to both story and narration.

This sequel ramped up everything from action and intrigue, through fantastical vistas and wonderful settings, to believable characters and excellent prose.

I felt like the first book was a build up to this one, with far more fae in it and a faster pace. I stormed through this whilst driving up and down the country, and highly recommend this trilogy.

Looking forward to listening to the next one.
Profile Image for Aidan Hennessy.
Author 6 books107 followers
August 9, 2018
An improvement on the first installment, as the plot gets deeper and we get to see the Fae world. This is effectively and evocatively brought to life, in parts both mystical and alien, and is intriguing on both counts.

A well-crafted tale, and looking forward to the final installment.
Profile Image for Michael.
252 reviews66 followers
September 12, 2018
This gets 3.9 out of 5-stars rounded up to 4. The story really gets moving in this second instalment of Graham Austin-King's trilogy. The Fae are a great threat to the two warring human civilisations, but they don't seem to be obliged to cooperate with one another for their survival.

This isn't the first fairytale-type fantasy I have read but it is the best one so far (in my opinion). It has the combat that has become so popular in modern-day fantasy. It has its love-interests. It has politics. It has kidnapping and betrayals. Most of all it has great scope.

I like Kloss, he is my favourite character in this book. There are plenty of others to choose from too.

It does come to quite a sudden end, though I am reading this trilogy as part of the omnibus version, so that doesn't really matter. I look forward to reading the concluding part.
Profile Image for Tim Marquitz.
Author 113 books207 followers
December 12, 2014
A riveting visual affair that leaps from the pages and draws you straight back into the world of Fae. Graham has taken the poise and prose of The Wild Hunt and honed it to an edge, the writing sharp and dangerous, every word sinking in deep to leave a mark. Enter the realm of Fae at your peril. You’ll quickly find you never want to leave.
Profile Image for Kristen.
574 reviews111 followers
March 30, 2017
(There's a bigger, prettier version of this review here, on my blog.)

I'll start off with narration here, because narration is the absolute #1 reason that I clamored to have this book as an audiobook rather than reading it from the trilogy collection that I have on my kindle (which is, btdubs, the only reason I know how to spell any of these names, lol).

Jonny McPherson is a fantastic narrator for this series and he tells this story so well. He doesn't so much tell the story as he acts it out. He puts stress in the proper places, out-of-breathness where there should be, and puts realism in the action scenes. He really gives the story a depth that I don't think I would 100% get from just reading the book (which is my own fault and not the fault of the author or his story). He does accents well, he does tones and voices very well, and he can pull off a menacing satyr like noone's business.

There's a part of me who thinks that the Bjornmen should sound Scandinavianer (there's that word I made up in my review of the first book again), and there's a part of me that thinks that the Fae should sound, at least on some level, Irish- but goddamn, that accent he does give the Fae makes me not even care at the end of the day. He makes them sound so... goddamn sinister. So temptingly sinister. You want it. You know you should not want it because that shit will kill you double time and love every second of it, but you want it anyway. It's bloody brilliant. I wish that all narrators doing a character or characters who are supposed to be seductive and yet terrifying (all vampires ever, I'm looking at you directly) could do it this well, because holy faaack.

So, 13/10 for narration.

This one continues the story of a country that is already suffering raids by the Viking-esque Bjornmen, also being invaded by the Fae, who are not at all the good, happy, tinkerbell Fae, but instead, as you've probably guessed, the dark, scary, steals-your-babies Fae. All our favorite characters from book one are back, Ylsriss, the plucky Bjorn...woman? Kloss, the young-but-talented Bjornman, Selena, the no-nonsense duchess, and Devin, the hunter with a mysterious history.

The story dives right back into the action, and in this volume things are really starting to come together. Some characters from different POVs are coming together, meeting each other. I liked that. I especially liked Ylsriss' POV once she's in the Realm of Twilight. It was interesting to see the Fae from that angle and get a whole new part of this story. It was interesting to get a glimpse into their world. The introduction of a new character, a Fae girl named Aervern, gives all kinds of insight into the Fae that the humans would never have otherwise. That was wonderful.

I also still love-love-love Selena. She's exactly the sort of leader this place needs and she's going to do whatever it takes to maintain her leadership. We don't get to see her again until almost halfway through this one but her part starts off with her being just badass, dropping a bomb on poor Rhenkin and telling him exactly how it was going to be without leaving him opportunity to get a word in edgewise. She then goes on to the capitol city and proceeds to tell everyone there how it's going to be, too. She's amazing.

Well, that ending left me wanting more, but I'm going to wait out the audio of book 3 (which I am told is happening!) - but damn, I hope it's soon, because I'm super excited for it. Can't wait to see how this romp ends.
Profile Image for Alan Behan.
585 reviews10 followers
April 7, 2021
Things are hotting up, as the series rolls on, the Islanders are advancing further against their mainland counterparts, the Fae are still on the hunt and everyone's game, awesome series highly recommend....😁
Profile Image for C.T. Phipps.
Author 67 books575 followers
May 13, 2016
When I read Fae: The Wild Hunt by Graham Austin-King, I was under the impression I was reading a darker-than-normal fantasy which would still very much fall under the auspices of Young Adult fiction. Having read the sequel, I revised my opinion and now think of Graham Austin King as a grimdark author and a very good one. He doesn't lace his work down with profanity, sex scenes, or visceral violence but manages to invoke the kind of subtle horror as well as causal brutality which Mark Lawrence was a master of.

Fae: The Realm of Twilight picks up some months after the initial book ended. The invasion of Angland by the Bjornmen continues apace with a good portion now under the control of the invaders while the locals mount a brave but, ultimately, futile resistance against them. The Fae, however, continue their nightly attacks against the Anglish locals and have begun mounting attacks on the Bjornmen as well. Our heroes Devin and Kloss work against both the Fae as well as each other in their attempts to protect their loved ones.

This isn't where the chief tragedy of the book occurs, though, as Kloss' wife Ylsriss is kidnapped by the fae while trying to protect her child. This results in her being transported to the Twilight Realm where the Fae reside, her body and mind subjected to constant horrors as her captors work to break her. Much like in the Broken Empire Trilogy, the sexual assaults which are a part of this occur off-panel but the mind fills in the blanks. Readers who want nothing to do with such things should consider themselves forewarned.

The previous book suffered from some balance issues with the Bjornmen seeming to be a much greater threat than the Fae and not enough time devoted to fighting them. Indeed, I said I'd prefer to read about the conflict between the Anglish and Bjornmen than their struggle against the Fae. This book reverses my opinion as the Fae get some badly needed character development and while they remain a monstrous alien threat, you understand what has driven them to such extreme even as you want them destroyed.

Unsurprisingly, the Church of the New Days is revealed to be corrupt and in league with the Fae. This was foreshadowed heavily in the first book but spelled out here. I'm rather disappointed with this actually as I have difficulty believing the entirety of the Church would be corrupted as well as the secret left out. You'd think they'd be among those who would want to destroy the Fae as remnants of the pagan past even if only by sheer numbers. One of my favorite moments was where a believer in the new faith rejects the Fae Lord even in the face of his claims to be behind her religion. Good for her.

The Twilight Realm chapters are the most engaging of the book with lots of world-building. We also get insight's into the Fae's motivations, history, and culture. I also am weirdly happy to state the horrors inflicted upon humans are equal-opportunity as very few stories reflect that. Making the villains rapists is usually just a cheap way of making them hateable but here it's displayed from multiple angles without ever getting gratuitous. It's an act of power and domination through the lens of mind-control ala Jessica Jones.

My favorite character of the series, Selena, also gets her own subplot in an attempt to persuade a curiously-reticent monarch into engaging the Bjornmen. The reason for the king neglecting his duties could have been tied to the Fae but Graham Austin-King is smart enough to have a different answer for that.

In conclusion, I think this book is very good for those who like their fantasy grim and dark but more ethereal than gritty. This is a bit like a fairy tale without the whitewashing of the Brothers Grimm and it works well for that. I would, however, state this is something which should be reserved for more mature readers. At least fifteen or so.

10/10
Profile Image for G.R. Matthews.
Author 16 books227 followers
March 27, 2016
I like that you get to see a different world and the ending isn't just a cliffhanger... its a reveal that makes you want to read on!
196 reviews
April 8, 2021
More enjoyable than the first book. Just about to start reading book 3 in the series. I have high hopes !
Profile Image for Leona.
72 reviews24 followers
April 7, 2017
Disclaimer: I have received a review copy in exchange of an honest review and I have recently signed with the same publisher. However I read book 1 and started reading this book before I signed with Realmwalker.

This is the second book of the Riven Wyrde Saga series by Graham Austin-King. See the review for the first book, Fae: The Wild Hunt: http://grimdarkalliance.com/blog/2015...

This book continues the momentum of action where the first book ended, in a different part of the world. If you have read The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist and loved the thieves guild setting there, you are definitely going to enjoy the opening chapters of The Realm of Twilight featuring the thieves.

Female characters play a large part in this book. Ylsriss and Selena are awesome and I really enjoyed reading their adventures, struggles and character development. The parts set in the Fae realm are the best and the most exciting to read for me. The Fae realm is very magical, alien and creepy to the core. I actually liked it far better than the Fae realm in Rothfuss books. The worldbuilding is phenomenal and the magic is outstanding. If you are a lover of magic systems interesting artifacts, you will definitely love these chapters. I am not easily impressed with the magic in modern fantasy books and I can say the magic in this book is as exciting as the Harry Potter in some parts. The Fae are dark and scary, the horrible things they do makes this book even darker than the first.

The alienness of the Fae is masterfully done. They don’t think like the humans, they are quite strange but also extremely realistic. Non-human creatures not thinking and acting like humans but also sounding realistic is something I rarely ever see in modern fantasy. Hats off to Graham for the superb job with the magic and the Fae world.

Fae are not homogenous race, they have political factions and different agendas, slowly unfolding while raising more questions. I suspect there is going to be more details of it in the third book.

I’m particularly impressed with the female characters here, both Selena and Ylsriss are very strong characters and their strength comes from their intellect and strategy skills. Ylsriss was introduced as a back alley cutthroat in the first book but she turns out to be a bookworm and a passionate investigator. Her love for learning, willpower and determination are her greatest strengths.

The political intrigue takes an interesting turn and things get more complicated, leaving Selena to find her way out of great difficulties in a foreign land where she can trust very few. There’s some great humor in her chapters as well as cool secondary characters. Salisbourne is quite a fellow, his lines made me laugh like a madman in a few places.

The war with the Bjornmen continues as well and we get to know Rhenkin better. He has a larger part and his clever battle strategies are an absolute delight to read for those of us who love reading battle scenes. Klöss has less of a presence in this book but his parts are quite interesting.

The other interesting character we meet is the Fae girl Aervern. She’s quite different from the other Fae, she’s impish and mysterious. She gives some hints and teasers about what is coming in book 3.

Obair and Devin continue to investigate the Wyrde lore and find the hints of a dark secret. Graham teases the readers here and adds more to the mysteries which started to unfold in the first book. I guess we have to wait for book 3 to find out where this all goes.

In short this book is packed with adventures, twists and turns, political intrigue, splendid magic, military-battle scenes and plenty of dark and creepy settings. Intriguing, well written, complex characters to boot. I can’t wait to read book 3!

Originally posted on Grimdark Alliance: http://grimdarkalliance.com/blog/2015...
Profile Image for T.O. Munro.
Author 6 books75 followers
December 2, 2014
I was fortunate to receive an ARC of Graham Austin-King's second book in his fantasy epic saga and devoured it and hot on the heels of finishing its predecessor "Fae - the Wild Hunt"

"Fae - The Realm of Twilight" is the second in Austin-King's Riven Wyrde saga (I believe it will be a trilogy) It is a comfortable but pacy read which I devoured in a couple of days.

I tend, when thinking of a book, to try to place it and describe it by comparison with other works. (I hope that helps others picture the book rather than appearing too much like those irritating movie moguls hearing a unique film pitch and dismissively summarising it as a one line pastiches of other films.)

For example in reading book one "Fae - The Wild Hunt" I found myself thinking of Michael J Sullivan and the intricate plotting and anti-archetype elves of the Ryria Revelations.

In this second book another couple of authors plucked a certain resonance for me.

Peter Brett's works - the Painted Man and the Desert Spear had a similar context of warring nations who do not seem to realise the need to co-operate against a far greater common foe. Like Brett, Austin-King gives us two sides of this war within mankind and we are moved to sympathise with both sides, the battered coastal farmers and the fierce but desperate sea warriors who would take their land.

However, Austin-King also gives us a deep insight into a well developed world of the enemy - the Fae, and in this I was reminded of The Wise Man's fear, where Kvothe strays into the world of Felurian. Austin-King's twilight world is equally strange and dangerous filled with creatures whose charm is as lethal as their cruelty. I must confess that the scientist within me at one point lead me into trying to work out the genetics of Fae pro-creation and to what extent Fae-ness might be a recessive gene.

As with the first book, Austin-King tells his story through a handful of key points of view. In a sightly tangential opening we are swept far over the seas away from the scene of the cliffhanger climax at the end of Book One, to the city of Hesk the raiders' home, where all is not well and young Gavin picks up a desperate tale.

Then we follow others' stories, long enough in each ones' shoes to get comfortable and see each separate story line developed in satisfying depth. There are battles described at every level from the bone crunching eye piercing horror of hand to hand combat, through the wider tactical matters of command and control and on to higher strategy and the pursuit of political ends, all described through the eyes of a variety of intriguing characters ranging across a spectrum from the old man Obair, to the sharp witted duchess Selena.

This is fantasy, a fantasy epic. And with that comes a demand for imagination from the author. Austin-King delivers in the tantalising details of his magic and religious and world systems, eked out through character interaction.

This was a relatively quick but still eminently satisfying read that built on and amplified the tensions delivered n the first book. My only question is how is Mr Austin-King going to save the world he has thrown into such deep and imaginative peril?
Profile Image for kartik narayanan.
725 reviews200 followers
August 29, 2017
Read the full review at my site https://wp.me/p89tYT-iW

Happy endings only happen in faerie tales, Gavin. In life you need to work for any ending you can get. The happy ones always seem to take their price in tears. Yours or those of another, the price must always be paid.

Introduction

‘The Riven Wyrde Saga’, authored by Graham Austin-King, is his first fantasy series. This saga is a trilogy consisting of ‘Fae – The Wild Hunt’, ‘Fae – The Realm of Twilight’ and ‘Fae – The Sins of the Wyrde’.

The premise of this series is, on the surface, straightforward. The fae (elves, fairies etc.) are real but have been locked off in their own dimension for millennia since they enslaved humanity. And now, they are coming back to exact their revenge on the world. At the same time, pseudo-vikings invade pseudo-england . There are many complex issues addressed here – domestic abuse, rape, religion poverty, power to name a few. Each of these issues have their own threads which intertwine with the main story line.

Recommendation

I recommend ‘The Riven Wyrde Saga’ to fantasy readers. This series has good character arcs, brutal action and a unique take on the fae. It does not shy away from addressing complex issues either.

‘The RIven Wyrde Saga’ has an ensemble cast of characters, each of whom is integral to the story line. Nominally, there are a couple of male characters, Kloss and Devin who could fit in the standard fantasy alpha male mold. But Graham Austin-King has taken the series beyond these two characters. There are strong male and female characters, each of whom could lead a series on their own. Most of them have fully developed character arcs too. Graham Austin-King is great at developing characters (see my review of ‘Faithless‘) and this series is no exception.

Read the full review at my site https://wp.me/p89tYT-iW
Profile Image for Jennifer (bunnyreads).
449 reviews65 followers
November 15, 2015
Wow. Good solid second book! I enjoyed this one more even more than the last. I'm only going to touch on a few things and I always try to stay spoiler free.

First, the beginning of this book doesn't hold back in reminding you that these Fae are not nice. Loved it- great start!

We do see more Fae in this story too, without really seeing that much more of them. I'm loving that the darker tone of mystery and fear about them is still present.

There are a few new characters this time around and we also follow people from the first book. Some of which didn't get as big a role last time, like Ylsriss. I was glad to see some character building with her. I was luke-warm to her last time around, but I loved her here. Her sections in this book were my favorite!
And there were some really good tense scenes, with Ylsriss and Joran towards the latter half the book.

Also Selena gets more screen time. I liked her a lot last time and that hasn't changed.

I'm liking the hints of bigger things going on in the story. Things are taking a turn from what seems like a straight forward 'monster' story to something a little more involved. I can't even wait for the next book!

Thankfully, while the end has a smallish cliffie, it was no where near as bad as the first book. This ended in a way, that while I'm dying to know what's next, I don't feel the need to throw my reader across the room. ;)

Also the cover art! wow! I have the kindle versions of this series, but after I read the first book, I bought physical copies as a gift for someone. I'm not sure if I want to give them away now. The cover art is just gorgeous. The books are in trade-size which shows off the art amazingly well.

Such a great series!
Profile Image for Wanda Hartzenberg.
Author 6 books69 followers
October 4, 2015
The Riven Wyrde Saga Continues... The Wyrde is dead and gone, its protection passed into the ether. The fae have been loosed upon the world as they begin their wild hunt, a nightmare from fables and legend made flesh. At Hesk, in the heart of the Barren Isles, Ylsriss must confront a reality she never could have imagined when her son is stolen from her by the fae. Her desperate attempts to reclaim him lead her far from this world and deep into the Realm of Twilight where a still darker truth awaits her. As the Bjornmen invaders drive their way deeper into Anlan, King Pieter refuses to act. Selena is forced to confront him directly as Devin and Obair flee Widdengate and begin a search for answers, seeking help from a woman who may be little more than a memory.

Lets face it. Very few authors can truly pull off a book in the fantasy genre. Dark fantasy is even harder for fantasy seldom runs on micro pacing and even makro pacing (something far easier to pull off) is simply slower in fantasy.

I adore the genre. Always have. Always will. But this love of the genre also means that I am far more selective over my choices when picking up a book in this genre.

I need not tress. This author actually does use micro pacing, something almost unheard of in this genre and he pulls it of with changing points of view, fast yet descriptive fractured sentences but never over does it. So the reader never feels as if they are on choppy sea water.

And the detail. Oh my. I love the detail. The layering. The world building. If you are thinking of dipping your toes into a new series in this genre, trust me, this is the series for you.

WaAr
Profile Image for Marielle.
259 reviews38 followers
March 17, 2016
It was even better then the first! It was very hard to put down and I can't wait to see how this story will continue... so I won't wait and start book 3 immediately! What an amazing series!
Profile Image for Lynn Worton.
863 reviews27 followers
December 8, 2014
This is the second book in The Riven Wyrde Saga. I LOVED IT!

I normally do a character breakdown in the reviews I write, but there are quite a few characters in this book to do one for all of them, so I will just jump straight into my review.

I love dark fantasy novels, and because I really loved the first book in the series, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one!

The story continues from the end of the first book, and is told through several points of view. I loved this, because it gave the story an almost film-like quality. I loved meeting not only the previous characters, but new ones too, who give a different perspective on events.

The Fae are continuing to break through the Wyrde, which has been holding them back from the human world. When Ylsriss's and Klöss's child gets kidnapped, in an attempt to rescue him, Ylsriss finds herself trapped within the twilight world of the Fae. It was interesting to have such a contrast between the "normal" human realm and the Fae's darker, scarier one; it's moodiness and alien-ness sent shivers down my back!
The story also has a lot of political machinations and bureaucracy, not to mention a lot of posturing that Selena has to deal with. There are also several twists and turns in this story, which kept me sitting on the edge of my seat. I especially found the tension of Ylsriss's and Joran's escape attempt to be very exciting. I kept wanting to look over my own shoulder for the Satyr hunting them!
There are also epic battle scenes in the human world between the Bjornmen and the citizens of Anlan that, because of the vivid descriptions, I could see in my minds eye with ease. There are also several revelations that were hinted at in the first book, which get revealed. However, there are a lot more secrets to be discovered and revealed, so I am now looking forward to finding out what they are in the next book!

Graham Austin-King has written an exciting fantasy novel that kept me turning the pages! Although it can be more difficult to better the first book in some cases, I think that this book is more cohesive as a story and shows this author's growth in confidence with his characters and storyline. I love his fast paced writing style and the story flowed wonderfully from beginning to end. The characters came alive on the page, and I could imagine the scenes in my mind like a movie. With the right casting and director, I could definitely see this working on the big screen.

Warning: This is NOT a children's fairy tale! I do not recommend this book to young children or those of a nervous disposition, as there are scenes of violence and abuse that could be very disturbing to some readers. However, I highly recommend this book to older teens and adults alike if you love dark fantasy novels. - Lynn Worton
Profile Image for Katie Harder-schauer.
763 reviews48 followers
February 2, 2015
It has been eight months since I read Fae: The Wild Hunt (the first book in this series) and normally for a series with this scope, re-reading the previous books is mandatory for me to feel up to speed with the storyline after a break that long. I didn't find that to be the case with Fae: The Realm of Twilight. I was thrown a little at first, until I realized that the character I was following wasn't one of the major players from the Wild Hunt (although he is a major player in Realm of Twilight). Once I had that realization, I was immediately back in the world that Graham Austin-King created in Wild Hunt.

I was once again struck by how similar Austin-King's storytelling is to that of George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. Austin-King weaves a story together, while following several different characters as their lives are affected by both the Fae and each other. I frequently found myself frustrated by the characters actions because as an outsider it's clear to me what they should be doing, and they're just not doing it. I have hope that they will see the error of their ways in the next installment of this series.

I already knew most of the characters from Wild Hunt, and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to spend more time with them, although I'm starting to question the role one of them has played. I am once again left with some unanswered questions, which just make me that much more anxious for the next book in the series.

Overall I give this book 5 out of 5 stars, because it immediately pulled me in and transported me back into Austin-King's world and left me desperately wanting the next book. I would still recommend this series to fantasy fans and readers of The Song of Ice and Fire series.
33 reviews1 follower
March 2, 2015
What if Faire Tales were lessons that should not be forgotten?

I Love This Story

This is a great book that deserves more attention than it gets!

The story unfolds at just the right pace and as with any great story, the truth is more complex than it first appears. What starts out as a fairly black and white conflict takes on shares of grey as the story unfolds. I really like that readers aren't treated like village idiots where everyone knows the truth other than us. We learn facts as characters learn facts and we are shown not told. For me, as a reader, there is nothing worse than seeing a character make a really stupid decision and having the author basically say, "well you don't know the background or what that character knows"..... my response, well then shame on you, isn't that your job!?! That never happens in this book, you can follow characters and their choices and decisions, in context. That's not to say characters don't make mistakes in the book, they do, and plenty but usually because they have even less knowledge of the other side of the conflict than the reader does.

The story is interesting and unique, the truths dispersed enough throughout the multiple POV's that each chapter matters enough that I didn't feel that normal nagging itch to skip to the next scene.

I recommend this book without reservation.

Profile Image for Clare Davidson.
Author 11 books84 followers
December 8, 2014
If you enjoy epic fantasy, with multiple points of view, then you'll enjoy the middle book in the Riven Wyrde Saga. The Realm of Twilight is written in a sweeping, complex style, with several plot threads that are beginning to converge as more about the mysterious Fae is revealed.

The Realm of Twilight follows characters we got to know in the first book and a few more besides. For me, Ylsriss' plot thread was the most riveting, as she struggles to find her baby in the Fae realm. Aided by a young man named Joran, she defies, escapes and discovers more about the Fae. We will have to wait until the third book to find out if what she learns will be enough to help the humans defeat the Fae.

There are some interesting revelations. Some were hinted at in The Wild Hunt, whilst others are a surprise in this book.

Austin King details a complex setting, with different cultures, races and political systems. There's plenty of sweeping battles, personal terror and political intrigue to keep readers entertained.
Profile Image for A.R. DeClerck.
Author 38 books46 followers
January 1, 2015
This book was a great follow up to #1! The characters are deep and multi-dimensional, the world exquisitely constructed. The Fae are scary, scary folk and they have big plans for the world we occupy. Though it leaves off without a distinct conclusion to the story it does leave the reader anxiously awaiting book 3! 4.5 stars just because I wanted to know more and now I have to wait!
Profile Image for Jay.
31 reviews5 followers
April 12, 2020
An amazing sequel to Graham Austin-Kings first volume of his "Riven-Wyrde-Saga". Strong characters, good ideas and a gripping plot merge to an awesome storyline that won't let you off the hook for hours. Start with Fae-The Wild Hunt and read it!
427 reviews5 followers
February 14, 2016
Great story!

This is an excellent story! I can hardly wait to begin the next book. So much going on but it all fits together in a wonderful way. Definitely recommend this to any fantasy lovers out there!
Profile Image for Craig Black.
115 reviews6 followers
April 6, 2016
The surprises don't stop coming in book 2 along with more and more questions
Profile Image for Selina.
328 reviews
May 21, 2019
Another splendid read!
What I like most about this series is the combination of multiple POVs from likeable characters, good worldbuilding and a very fluent prose. It goes down like butter, if you get my meaning.
The ark that I found most intriguing and had me surprised a couple of times was that of Ylsriss. It was like discovering a new world and I never knew what might come next.
I also enjoyed how the battles and everything important around and about them was described as well as all the characters involved. It felt very realistic.
(Also: "Larson!!" - "Behind you, Sir.")

The only issues I had were so tiny that it comes down to personal taste.
For example, I find Elena highly amusing but I think sometimes everything she says is a tick too smooth, too perfect to be natural. (And that thing with "Thompson" was mean! Poor Sanderson guy, you have my sympathy. Haha)
The other thing is when characters meet they explain everything again - the reader knows already, so you could've skipped the second explaining with "He told them what happened".
Again, this was nothing big.

I'm looking forward to book 3!
Profile Image for Milton.
126 reviews
July 9, 2018
The book keeps building from the first book. Fairy tales come to be just that, and the characters keep developing in the story. From a dark perspective the story tells the dark part of the Fae like its told in the old country where they take children and women . This book tells the growth of the characters, builds on the different stories lines that are been shared in the pages of the book. It shock in some parts but is what makes the book great going to a dark story but with a lot of information that you will need to pay attention took for the third book. Really liked the book and looking forward for the third and final book.
Profile Image for D.A. Kloss.
Author 1 book
November 21, 2018
A great follow on from the first book, and now I'm two thirds through the final book of this extremely enjoyable trilogy. I don't have any complaints; the characters are interesting, the story compelling and if I had the time I would have happily read these books from start to finish with no pause in between.

If you like high fantasy such as Sanderson, Rothfuss, Wheel of Time or other such books this is for you.

Profile Image for Karen.
61 reviews3 followers
March 16, 2021
A good story, but marred by way too long battle descriptions. I kept thinking, I get it, I get it, move on. Again this book like the first in the series could have used a good editor to shorten and tighten the story. There are way too many minor characters that add very little to the story and certainly confuse it. However, that said, I finished the book and I'm onto the third, so I haven't stopped reading and that says something.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 55 reviews