Jump to ratings and reviews

Digby's Moon Mission

One night, Digby Fixit wakes to find his room in too much darkness! Discovering the moon in a frightful state, he plans a clever mission to bring back the light of night. A children's picture book - target audience: 2-7 years.

34 pages, Paperback

2 books3 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews
Profile Image for Jen G.
40 reviews2 followers
January 6, 2015
After teaching for over fifteen years it is hard to pick up a Picture Book to read to my own children without looking for the Educational Activities the book inspires. This is what happened when I read the delightful Picture Book written by Renee Price called Digby’s Moon Mission.

The main theme I believe in Digby’s Moon Mission is teamwork. Digby relied on his team of friends to help him with his Moon Mission. It was lovely to see the Author’s note at the end which listed the people that helped her own mission to self-publish, Digby’s Moon Mission. I read this section aloud to my children to point out that Digby used teamwork and the author also used teamwork to help publish this book.

A part of teamwork is helping others in need. Digby saw a need to help the moon. It is always great to talk about how it feels when we help others. And once again referring back to the people who helped the author publish this book and how they would feel good about helping her.

A full Educational Review and free downloadable Literacy worksheets based on Digby's Moon Mission can be found at my website.
Profile Image for Julie Grasso.
Author 18 books301 followers
December 3, 2014
Digby Fixit awakes in the sleepiest part of the night with a fright, asking an age old question. "Why is the dark so dark?" Peering out his window, he finds the answer in a flash. The moon is so banana thin it barely makes a glimmer.

Well, lucky Digby Fixit is on the case. He sets about a clever plan involving all his friends. A mighty cooking extravaganza begins with muffin treats, kiwi tarts, thausage rolls and wonton soup, to name a few. By weeks end, the gang are ready and they load the catapult in Digby's yard. With a cheer, they send their sumptuous feast towards the moon.

Night after night, Digby checks the lunar phases with his trusty measuring tape. By seven sleepless nights, voila, the moon is a plump as a pie, lighting the sky. Digby lays content in his bed, as the dark is no longer so dark. But wait. "What is that noise and why is it so noisy?" Digby ponders.....

This was a delightful moon mission book with a twist. When I first read the title, I thought Digby would be visiting the moon. Upon reading, we realised that the moon's well being, was actually Digby's mission. This was a very clever way of introducing words that have dual meanings. The story is spliced with simple rhyme that kids will no doubt enjoy, as they journey with Digby and his friends in their mission to plump up the moon. I absolutely loved the illustration style and with each delicious new page, I felt my tummy rumbling. Young children seem to be enamoured with the moon in all its phases, so I loved the premise of this book. It gives a great talking point for all those little star gazers out there.
Profile Image for Romi Sharp.
3 reviews1 follower
January 5, 2015
Digby Fixit is a curious boy with a keen interest in a ‘banana-thin’ moon. With his dishevelled appearance and abundance of energy, Digby enlists the help of his friends; creating havoc in his poor mum’s kitchen, to embark on a mission to solve the mystery of the slivered moon. It takes a whole week to concoct the clever plan with a delicious array of gourmet meals, which most surprisingly, are catapulted into the vast atmosphere that is space.
Day after night, Digby measures the moon’s illumination, from starving to full to exploding, until it is a perfectly plump ball bursting with light. But it is also bursting with food! How will the moon react?

Renee Price’s text delightfully integrates a mix of fun, age-appropriate vocabulary and dialogue with whimsical rhyming prose. Illustrations by Anil Tortop are colourful, humorous and expressive; perfectly suiting the action and wit in the storyline. The smoothness and softness of the drawings and colour palette are also a fine fit with the lush feel of the pages. Digby’s Moon Mission is a ‘super-duper’, charming and imaginative story; exploring teamwork, diversity and plenty of teachable concepts. Children from two years old will enjoy this adventure all the way to the moon and back again, and again, and again!

See my interview with author, Renee Price here:

Profile Image for My Little.
9 reviews5 followers
January 6, 2015

www.romisharp.wordpress.com
www.facebook.com/mylittlestorycorner
Profile Image for Susan Day.
Author 65 books37 followers
January 5, 2015
This wonderful children’s story will delight all ages – even us grownups! I was immediately drawn to the illustrations and the delightfully funny expressions on Digby’s face. (And the cat, too, for that matter!) I also felt that the layout of the text added to the excitement of the story. Rather than use the traditional fonts set on a white background, the words seem to be handwritten across the page becoming an integral part of the illustrations. They change shape and size to add more emphasis to the story too.

Poor Digby is astonished to see how wafer-thin the moon has become and decides it needs a really good feed. So he and his friends set about creating a delicious menu.

I think that young readers will be enthralled with this book. It’s the type of book that they will want to read themselves and, if they are not old enough, they will love having it read to them too.

I received a copy of this book for an honest review and I can highly recommend that you get a copy. Having only seen an electronic copy I would suggest that you get a print copy because only when you hold this book in your hands can you truly appreciate the depth of the illustrations and the richness of the story itself.
Profile Image for Brydie Wright.
Author 1 book35 followers
February 10, 2018
The first in the Digby Fixit series of picture books has a playful and original concept - how can the curious Digby fatten up the moon and make it brighter? My son was captivated by this story and the vivid illustrations by Anil Tortop. Love Digby's trademark curls and his imaginative schemes. A fun read for pre-schoolers and early primary readers
Profile Image for Zac Khalinsky.
17 reviews1 follower
December 30, 2016
it is a quick and enjoyable picture book. I especially liked how it ends because it is funny and unexpected. I also like how he got his friends involved, the food looks delicious!
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.