Start by marking “Mad Scientist Academy: The Dinosaur Disaster” as Want to Read:
Mad Scientist Academy:  The Dinosaur Disaster

Mad Scientist Academy: The Dinosaur Disaster

(Mad Scientist Academy #1)

Enroll in Dr. Cosmic’s class of clever monsters at the Mad Scientist Academy as they solve the greatest challenges in science, in this perfect blend of adventure and exploration—it’s the Magic School Bus for a new generation.

Welcome to Mad Scientist Academy! The first day of school is always exciting, and Dr. Cosmic’s new students can’t wait to get started. After their te
Published July 7th 2015 by Crown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Mad Scientist Academy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad Scientist Academy

Start your review of Mad Scientist Academy: The Dinosaur Disaster
Barbara
The first day of school can often be anxiety-provoking, but for the new students at the Mad Scientist Academy, it's more hair-raising than usual. After all, Dr. Cosmic, their teacher, has a dinosaur named Oscar for a pet, and the school has an extensive dinosaur exhibit. As the students use their tech devices and scientific know how in order to escape the dinosaurs that have come to life, readers will also pick up a few interesting facts along the way. Enhancing the book's appeal, the illustrati ...more
Mary Anne
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-graphics, steam
A group of young creatures arrive at the Mad Scientist Academy for their first day of school. Their first lesson is about dinosaurs! Their are mechanical models of dinosaurs and when the youngsters are left without adult supervision in the exhibit things get a little out of hand. But information and quick thinking prevents disaster.
Emily
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
A hilarious combination of The Magic School Bus meets Harry Potter meets Mr. Lemoncello's library-- in graphic novel form. An unique way to talk about dinosaurs, an always popular topic.
Lynn
Dinosaur lovers will enjoy this unique presentation of the extinction theories and differences between species.
Can't wait to read the upcoming "Weather Disaster"
Becky
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun way to introduce or reinforce dinosaur facts with kids in an enjoyable way. Medium is very similar to a graphic novel with jokes interspersed with facts about dinosaurs - time period, diet, types, etc. My kids really liked this one!
Matthew
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Though it was a graphic novel of sorts or maybe a new Magic School Bus-like series, it was outstanding. I found that I learned from this as much as I enjoyed it. Great series.
tony dillard jr
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Meet Ken, the Monster Boy…
Wolfgang, the Wolfboy…
Thora, The Bug Girl...
The Lagoon Boy, Tad…
Miss Scarlet, the vampire…
And the robot moppet Nicole…

Class is in session for the Mad Scientist Academy. It’s the students first day and their new teacher is Dr. Cosmic. Though he’s a mad scientist, he’s also a pretty bad one. None of his experiments seem to go right and his newest exhibit on dinosaurs has a lot of bugs in the system.

While Dr. Cosmic searches for his missing pet dinosaur, Oscar, the chil
Tasha
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In this graphic novel for elementary-aged children, facts about dinosaurs mingle with a great adventure. A new class of young monsters are enrolled at the Mad Scientist Academy. On their first day of school, they meet Dr. Cosmic, a teacher at the academy who has managed to lose the school pet, Oscar, a dinosaur. The children are sent to find Oscar and set off on an adventure through the various exhibits that Dr. Cosmic has been working on. The focus of the exhibits is dinosaurs and there are mec ...more
Jamie Brown
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing

The first day of school with new friends, what better way to kick it off by joining a new research project created by one of the teachers. The twist to the project is that it is interactive with lifelike dinosaurs. What starts out simply with walking through the exhibits with an instructional handbook goes awry when the dinosaurs malfunction. That is when the fun really begins!

This graphic novel for young children has wonderful, detailed illustrations that not only delight but educate as well.

Sara Grochowski
This graphic novel is a fun mashup of fantasy and science. When a group of students, including a werewolf, a swamp monster, a robot, and more - arrive a Mad Scientist Academy for their first day of class, they find their professor Dr. Cosmic in a tangled heap. They immediately realize they're in for an interesting day... Dr. Cosmic explains that their class pet - a dinosaur! - has escaped. So the students set off on a scavenger hunt through the virtual dinosaur exhibit to track down Oscar, colle ...more
Kalynda
This is a clever and fun book for anyone who loves dinosaurs or anyone who is looking for a great addition to a dinosaur unit. It’s heavy text features, which include numerous dinosaur facts, connect it well to the upper elementary grades, especially as an individual read. In addition, the upper elementary students would enjoy the graphic novel layout that takes this book out of the “traditional” picture book genre. The story also has easy-to-use information that a teacher could use to support a ...more
Colette Scoffield
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Written in comic book style, this graphic novella is a clever mix of fact and fiction (fantasy). Matthew McElligot does well to provide many interesting and important facts about dinosaurs while making it a fun and adventurous read. The illustrations are eye catching and realistic. It has similar elements to The Magic School Bus series but with a Mad Scientist for a teacher instead of "The Frizz".

This story is well suited to many audiences including reluctant readers, dinosaur lovers, elementar
Diane
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Starting at a new school can be a jolting experience, especially with a teacher like Dr. Cosmic."You'll be the first to see my new project. But I should warn you, I'm still ironing out some of the bugs." What begins as a holographic presentation becomes a test of survival - after all, the dinosaurs do have a "live" switch. Good thing the students have their Mad Scientist Handbook. But can the students find the "Dinosaur Off" switch in time?

Facts and fiction mix for an imaginative story about a t
Debra
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really like this book! And yes, if you like the Magic School Bus books, you will like this one. It's a bit easier to follow I think because of the graphic novel format. Information graphics are inserted periodically, but they don't crowd out the main story. Fans of non-fiction will enjoy, as well as lovers of fantasy. I think this is the first of a series, so I am looking forward to the next book.
Nanci Booher
Matthew McElligott has a great book here....author of Even Monsters Need haircuts (one of my all time favorite picture books) has a new graphic novel coming out in July. For all of your science, and non-science, lovers, this is surely to be a hit. I can't wait to put in on the shelf next school year!
Jillian
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think I'm going to like this series a lot!
I really enjoy the emphasis on problem-solving - taking a minute to go through what you know before making a potentially disastrous decision. The characters also work well together as a team, and learn a fair bit about dinosaurs even when the focus of the story is supposedly on something else.
Alice
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-25-stars
4.25 stars Oh this was funny! I would almost put it in the non-fiction narrative category but with all the ghouls and monsters...that can't happen.

This must be read aloud with different voices...we had a blast reading it! Lots of giggles!
Dawn
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This will be perfect for my future palentologists. One student was just mentioning yesterday that he plans to become one! I probably won't use this one as a read aloud. It will be a good addition to our library corner, nonetheless.
Theresa Grissom
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
A really fun and unique way to learn about dinosaurs. Really enjoyed this one. My second grade boy loved it as well.
Carol Scrimgeour
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Much like the Magic School Bus series, this book shares information about the dinosaur periods in a fun storyline, with a natural history museum as the setting.
Linara Kolosov
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Matthew McElligott’s Mad Scientists Academy The Dinosaur Disaster is a graphic novel (comics) for kids. It is entertaining, funny, and educational. What I love the most about this book is that alongside with the action part, there is tons of information about dinosaurs. Although this story is about monster-kids, they are nicely drawn and kind of appealing. I see it as an interesting way to show different kinds of personalities and appearances we all have. It is also great that each kid made his ...more
Martha
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-3-non-fiction
What a perfect way to learn about the dinosaur age, through Mad Scientist Academy's teacher Dr. Cosmic. The students depicted as a werewolf, robot, monster, vampire, and aliens find themselves in a school where the exhibits come to life. The robotic dinosaur displays form an obstacle course, where with the help of the students' "Mad Scientist Handbooks," they can hopefully make the correct informed decisions necessary to navigate this school safely. The ink, pencil, and digital graphic style ill ...more
Pam Schwartz
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is one of those graphic novels where they try to incorporate facts into the story. It's an interesting idea to try and teach science concepts within the context of a Mad Scientist Academy, but I don't think this one achieved a good balance. The Science/Dinosaur facts overtook the story, in my opinion, making this too dry to draw the reader into a fun fiction story, and too silly to be a great non-fiction book. If they make more, I would give other books in the series a chance, but this one ...more
Jessica
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think kids would really like this book/graphic novel because not only are you reading a good story but learning facts about your subject. I with it had page numbers. It has charts with information-Mesozoic Era, carnivores herbivores, comparison charts, labels pictures. The author has a sense of humor-you know crazy scientist (Dr. Cosmic) presses the wrong button....

The students in the Mad Scientist Academy are varied creatures-a Frankenstein, vampire, alien, werewolf, robot, insectoid.
Steph
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn’t think I would enjoy this a few pages in, and suddenly I was hooked! An updated Mrs. Frizzle (Magic School Bus) meets Night at the Museum meets Chris Grabenstein’s Lemoncello... love this! In graphic novel picture book style, too! This was a fun dinosaur story, and I’m excited to read about Dr. Cosmic in the next adventure. :-)
Drew
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I liked it because this was about dinosaurs and I LOVE dinosaurs! It was funny when the teacher said he had a pet dinosaur but it was really an ostrich. I liked when the dinosaurs went heywire in live mode. I liked seeing what dinosaurs do. It was funny when they threw the boys stinky lunch at the T-Rex.
Linden Seaman
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
As far as children's books go, it wasnt ayper intriguing or enthralling. The artwork was great and it did have some good dinosaur facts, but it wouldn't be one I would read to my class or share and recommend to kids I know.
Kathleen
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up for my nephew, since he's into robots, and probably also dinosaurs. It's way more informative than I expected, while still being chock-full of zany robodino mayhem! The monster kids are an added bonus. The comic-book format will appeal to readers both young and old!
Stephanie
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun new modern adventure with facts and discovery mixed in!
Meghan Davis strader
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Very cool book! I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because it seemed a little forced at times to get the science into the comic book bubbles.

• Mercy Watson Fights Crime
  • One-Third Nerd
  • Science No Fair! (Project Droid #1)
  • I Survived the Nazi Invasion, 1944 (I Survived, #9)
  • Jump, Kangaroo, Jump!
  • What Is LEGO? (What Was?)
  • Just Because
  • The Light Jar
  • Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle
  • Luna Loves Library Day
  • When Sue Found Sue: Sue Hendrickson Discovers Her T. Rex
Matthew McElligott is the author and illustrator of many books for children including the Mad Scientist Academy series, Even Monsters Need Haircuts, Backbeard the Pirate, and the Benjamin Franklinstein series. His books have been published around the world in many languages on five continents. Recent awards include the 2012-13 Oregon Patricia Gallagher Picture Book Award for The Lion’s Share and t ...more

Mad Scientist Academy (4 books)
  • Mad Scientist Academy: The Weather Disaster