Start by marking “She's Having Her Baby” as Want to Read:
She's Having Her Baby

Read Book

She's Having Her Baby

Georgie Henderson doesn’t want to have kids, but her best friend, Nina Doherty, has wanted to have a baby for as long as she can remember. Sadly, Nina’s uterus refuses to cooperate. One drunken evening, Nina asks Georgie for the ultimate favour: would she carry a baby for her? Georgie says yes – and spends the next nine months wondering why!

With intense bacon-and-egg roll
Published March 2015 by Nero (first published February 25th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about She's Having Her Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She's Having Her Baby

Dash fan
5☆ A Must Read for all

She’s Having Her Baby is a story of friendship, relationships, infertility problems, surrogacy, motherhood and pregnancy.

Would you ever be able to be a surrogate mother for your best friend if she asked?

Well that's exactly what happened to Georgie. After a drunken night with her best friend Nina, she asks if she would carry her baby as she has been trying for so many years to conceive.
Georgie agrees, without even truly thinking of the ups and downs of being pregnant and ho
Veronica ⭐️
Lauren Sams’ debut novel, She’s Having Her Baby, is a very real, yet humorous, look at the ups and downs of friendship, infertility, motherhood and all things in between.
It’s easy to not connect with Georgie at the beginning of the book, she is selfish and very opinionated but then she does the most amazing selfless thing and offers to give birth to her best friend’s baby.
I didn’t like Nina at the start of the book and still didn’t warm to her by the end of the story. Maybe its just I’ve never
Bookread2day
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review on my website www.bookread2day.wordpress.com
I really enjoyed reading the first installement of a hilarious hit international series. If you are a fan of JoJo Moye’s like I am, then your going to love this book. Two women are completely different. Georgie Henderson doesn’t want kids, but Nina her best friend was desperate for a baby. Sadly there are woman in this world that can’t have a baby and turn to a surrogate. This story brings this to light with IVF not working, but has some fu
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it

She's Having Her Baby is a funny and bittersweet debut chick lit novel from Lauren Sams.

"This is it. She's going to ask me to be her surrogate. No, she won't. Surely she won't. That only happens in Katherine Heigl movies, Jesus f** Christ, what if she asks? What am I going to say? There's only one answer, right? Jesus f**"

Thirty something magazine editor, Georgie Henderson, has never wanted kids but her best friend, Nina Doherty, wants nothing more than to be a mother and when her latest IVF att
Michelle Ryles
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: galleys-read
I didn't expect to love this book as much as I did. It sounds like chick-lit with a serious storyline when Georgie agrees to be a surrogate for her best friend Nina, but it has a hilarious twist in the tale. I laughed so much that I felt as if I'd had an intense tummy workout. She's Having Her Baby is the best kind of exercise for those out of shape tummy muscles.

Georgie is a brilliant character; I absolutely loved her. As a career woman with an aversion to babies, she somehow manages to be both
Amy Buckle / Amy's Bookshelf
Another book from Legend Press! This time it is the hilarious and relatable novel, She’s Having Her Baby. Georgina Henderson has never wanted children; she has successfully conquered her career goals, now being an editor at Jolie magazine, and, despite everyone around her seeming to be having children, it has never been something she has wanted for herself. But one day, George must make a touch decision. Her best friend Nina wants nothing more than to have a baby, but after yeras of trying, her ...more
Holly
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
She’s Having Her Baby is equal parts funny and serious. It has the perfect balance to keep you reading. Lauren Sams has found a unique way of addressing infertility while also incorporating the dynamics between a women who desperately wants a baby but cannot carry; and her best friend who never wants a baby but ends up pregnant.
Simone
Jul 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: aww-2015
Georgie and Nina are best friends with one major difference. Georgie has long known she never wants kids and relishes the freedom that life choice brings. Nina on the other hand wants nothing more than to be a mother. Married for several years she and her husband have endured the rollercoaster of IVF with no success and it has taken its toll on their relationship. Deciding that she can't go through the torturous process again Nina and Georgie go out drinking one night and with her inhibitions lo ...more
Kat
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley-tbr
This is my kind of book. I really enjoyed it. My hat goes off to the main character Georgia for helping her friend Nina when she couldn't have a baby. Even though I'm not a mother myself, I always scope out books about parenthood especially motherhood. I like to hear about the trials and tribulations. I enjoy it in both genres of fiction and non fiction. I hope Lauren writes more in the future especially about motherhood. maybe even a sequel?

Thanks goes to net galley & the publishers for pr
Cheryl
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's an enjoyable and often utterly hilarious read - there are some great one-liners and the humour really reminded me of another great Aussie writer, Kathy Lette. All women-of-a-certain-age will be able to relate to and recognise themselves at least in part in one of the characters : Nina, going through the heartbreak of infertility, Georgie, convinced she doesn't want kids, or Ellie, the completely over-the-top Earth mother whose son is her entire world. I did think it was a shame that the sur ...more
Rebecca
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this book-until the end. I thought that the struggles that George, Ellie, and Nina were going through were a very accurate portrayal of what it is to deal with infertility, pregnancy, and motherhood today. The writing was great-the book was easy to read and humorous, especially for tackling such difficult issues. However, I just really didn't get the end. I don't want to give anything away, but I am not sure how it would be a satisfactory conclusion for anyone in real life. It seemed lik ...more
Roskana
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just loved this book – it’s very, very funny. There’s humour in every line, honesty on every page and enough touching episodes to keep you believing in the characters. Anyone who has tried to get pregnant, tried to be a friend to a new parent or who has put up with irritatingly rose-tinted-spectacled-people advocating this, that or the other will recognise themselves here. The plot takes a few twists too – this is truly a well-crafted novel. If you enjoy The Letdown on Netflicks, you’ll be thr ...more
Cate McKinnon Alexander
George (don't call her Georgie) is focused on her career and has sworn she'll never have kids. Until her best friend Nina is battling infertility and, as a last ditch effort, asks George to carry her baby.

Can Nina and George's friendship survive the transition to motherhood? And can they avoid turning into Ellie, the one time party-girl who now can't think beyond her two year old?

A fun, light read that covers friendship, motherhood, and feeling out of step with the world around you.

Looking for
Lindsey
This was a fast read, and as a Mom to young kids, I found all the baby/parenting-talk very relatable, and somewhat entertaining. It had me reminiscing on my own pregnancies, which I enjoyed. However, there was just something lacking that I can’t quite articulate to bump this up to a higher rating. Plus, the ending was predictable and yet flawed in its realness. Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC.
Ruby
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up after reading Crazy, Busy, Guilty, which I really enjoyed.
I would recommend reading this book first. It's full of humorous moments and you get a good background on Georgie and some of the things she mentions.
Both highly recommended reads
Natasha Ellis
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Pleasant light hearted read. Would probably have enjoyed it more if my own children were still little.
Will read the second part when it comes out.
Penny-sue Wolfe
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a summer must read! And you will want the characters are your best mates! Funny, sassy and fun to read. You will not want to put this down. Fabulous!
Andrew Hall
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I won the follow up book to this in a goodreads giveaway, so I thought it was best that I read is book first. I really enjoyed the characters, George's voice and the storyline. Looking forward to getting into the follow up book 'crazy, busy, guilty'.
Lisa
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-review
I would actually rate this a 3.5 probably.
I received this book as part of Goodreads First Reads giveaways.

I will simply state that I enjoyed this book. What lowered the star rating for me was the protagonist George's voice. I find it hard to get into the reading style where someone says something then in italics you are given some smart, satire comment that is from in the narrators head. It is a normal and authentic way of giving insight into what the narrator feels and such, but for me it touch
Cindy
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading "She's Having Her Baby". The characters are well developed and the story is interesting and thought-provoking whilst being entirely believable. The tone is very conversational - it's just like being at dinner with girlfriends, sharing a few stories over a bottle of wine. I laughed a lot whilst reading this book and shed a few tears too.

This is a book for anyone who's had a baby, thought about having a baby, struggled to have a baby or knows someone who's had a baby.
Kirsten
Dec 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Full disclosure. Lauren Sams hosts a book club that I'm in so I read this out of curiosity more than anything.

I don't read a lot of chick lit these days as I was finding it very formulaic. This is more of the same but is elevated somewhat by tackling some interesting issues; infertility, surrogacy, workplace dynamics, the death of magazines (RIP).

This was a quick, fun summer read and I probably liked it a bit more for the very familiar Sydney setting. There's a sequel to this coming out in Janu
Jane
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
There are just not enough books around that tackle fertility issues. Alternatively there are not many books that talk about women who, frankly, are a bit "meh" about having kids. "She's Having Her Baby" does both. I love it how the main focus of this book is the relationship between Georgie (not too keen to have babies) and her best friend, Nina (wants all the babies). It hilariously describes pregnancy, dating, and why you should never make major life decisions under the influence of alcohol. C ...more
Lisa Mckenzie
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I would have gone higher but I felt like the ending wasn't really what I expected. All over it was a great read, I could definitely relate to Nina but I hated how the three of them need up in a car accident together, it felt like lazy writing. There could have been some other reason for the three of them to not make it in time. I felt very disappointed after reading that part. But it had to end somewhere I guess.
Ally
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So happy to win this book through goodreads!
This book is hilarious! The language that is used makes for an entertaining read. It sees Georgie's surrogacy plans go wildly awry as she struggles to maintain her job and relationships. Georgie is flawed, but that only makes her more genuine and likeable. This is a really good "chick lit'" book, that I thoroughly enjoyed even though it's not my usual genre to read. I also think it would make a pretty cool movie!
Chloe
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A nice, light read between more serious books.

And, it's set in Australia!

Magazine editor Georgie offers to have a baby for her best friend, who has been trying to fall pregnant for 7 years. This begins a sometimes hilarious, sometimes bittersweet rollercoaster journey for George. It's a story of motherhood and pregnancy, but mostly about friendship.
Kellie Adlam
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was the easiest read I've had in a long time. The characters were well portrayed, the language witty and the flow incredibly natural. It felt like a long dinner party with all my best girlfriends, which meant I couldn't put it down or the fun would stop! What a great first novel, can't wait to see what comes next.
Splatalie
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Quite fun for chick-lit and held my interest as a new mum too with enough tender moments to relate to amongst the cynicism and 'first - world - problem' ism.
The twist was disappointing, as I'd love to have known more about how the initial story arc would have played out.
Nero may want a better proofreader in future - the copy I read had a lot of typos.
Skye Pyman
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Within the first 3 pages I was snorting with laughter, and continued throughout, & I accidentally woke my husband up a couple of times. I saw parts of myself (pre-children, pregnant & a Mum) in so many of the characters. In some parts it was all too real, which made me fall in love with it more. Just gorgeous
Belinda Munro
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I really enjoyed this book and could relate to both Ellie and Nina. The book was very well written however I couldn't help but feel that Georgie was treated a little unfairly by both Jase and Nina. Without revealing plot lines, I just felt that Georgie never really set out to "disappoint" anyone but was made out to do that. Hope this author writes another book soon!
Summer Land
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book. I have a friend struggling to conceive and this novel gave me insight into her world and mind. It's also super entertaining and has hilarious pop culture references, which are my fav!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Storm Clouds (Goodabri #2)
  • The House At The Bottom Of The Hill (Swallows Fall Book 3)
  • The Road to Hope
  • The Saddler Boys
  • Precious Things
  • The Silent Inheritance
  • Season of Shadow and Light
  • The Enchanted Island
  • Breaking The Drought
  • Her Mistletoe Cowboy (The Wildflower Ranch #2; A Marietta Christmas #3)
  • The Serpent Papers (Serpent Papers Trilogy #1)
  • Close to Home
  • Dancing on Knives
  • One Little White Lie
  • Wife on the Run
  • Kakadu Sunset (The Porter Sisters #1)
  • The Wedding Season
  • Remembering Anita Cobby: The Case, the Husband, the Aftermath – 30 Years On
Lauren Sams is a writer and author who has worked in magazines for ten years. She writes for Cosmopolitan, ELLE, marie claire, Sunday Style and Daily Life. She lives in Sydney with her husband, daughter and two dogs.

She's Having Her Baby is her first book, and she is currently working on a sequel.

Elaine Benes is her spirit animal.

For weekly musings from Lauren, sign up to her Tiny Letter here: ht
“Are you a drinker?' the doctor asked. I heard the clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk of empty wine bottles hitting the bottom of my recycling bin.
'Um, I suppose I would say that.”
0 likes
“No coffee? Yoga? Exercise? Bloody hell, she was going full Paltrow on me.
Best friends never go full Paltrow.”
0 likes