Start by marking “Conquest (The Dark Lord's Handbook, #2)” as Want to Read:
Conquest (The Dark Lord's Handbook, #2)

Conquest

(The Dark Lord's Handbook #2)

It’s not easy being a Dark Lord.

Morden has to finish building his fortress, gather the last of his host, issue forth to conquer the world, and keep his Dark Queen happy.

And it's not made easy by dragon slayers, heroes, and old men standing in his way on the path to world domination.

Fortunately, he has The Dark Lord's Handbook to give him sage advice to see him through thes
Paperback, 1, 412 pages
Published October 30th 2014 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published September 17th 2014)

Start your review of Conquest (The Dark Lord's Handbook, #2)
Kathy
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another fun read. Morden has marshaled his forces and is intent on Coming Forth to conquer the known world and stand up to the forces of Good. This was a good follow up to The Dark Lord's Handbook and is a send up of all the archtypes of fantasy - but having said that it still has an interesting story and character developments. Its hard to tell from the ending if there'll be a book 3 in the series. ...more
Kath Middleton
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Morden, who has learnt all his Dark Lording from a book legible only to him, is now intent upon Issuing Forth from his dread stronghold to conquer his enemies. There are heroes intent upon stopping him and they have recruited some ancient beings to help. Griselda, his foul-mouthed Dark Queen, leaves and opposes him. However, a new flight of dark dragons arises to assist him. There's a furious battle at the end and things throughout didn't always turn out as I expected.

I loved Book One of this se
Paul
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Paul Dale's first book in the Dark Lord series and knew I must read his new release in this series which hadn't been out that long.
This book had all the characteristics you'd expect in the Good vs Evil saga, however I found myself rooting for Morden. In someways he is the Hero but being evil is so much fun for Morden. The ending leaves us to believe that we haven't finished with Morden's adventures just yet.

Well worth read if humor is your thing and well worth adding to your collection.
Ruby Ridge
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No 'second book syndrome' here, this is probably better than the first as the author gets into his strife with this epic fantasy from the P.O.V. of the dark lord.
There are some deaths of major characters, some welcome and some not so welcome (view spoiler)
Looking forward to the conclusion.
Mark Taylor
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Still amusing in this continuation. I particularly like lines like "Land crept over the horizon as if it were concerned about who might see it." ...more
Johnny
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better

I still found some of the supporting characters to be of more interest than the MC.
I also found two spots missing punctuation.
Overall though I enjoyed the story and am about to start book three.
I recommend this book for those who are tired of some muscle bound idiot of a hero always winning, not by being smarter, but because he had great gear and luck to save the day.
I'm just tired of brain dead heroes.
Barnesm
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-stuff
Dark Lord Morden is the textbook modern leader. That is if your textbook is a magic tome that writes specific guidance only readable by you on how to bring all the world under your dark gaze.

The Dark Lord has amassed his armies, built his "Fortress of Despair" which is next to a convenient rumbling volcano and only awaits the awakening of his great superweapon (hint it's not cannons) before sallying forth to crush the world beneath his skeletal foot.

But the wrong thinking folk who oppose him i
Joel
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
A continuation of Morden the Dark Lord's Unheroic Journey, set three years after the ending of the first book. Essentially, more of the same as the previous book: inversion of genre tropes, light and wry tone, sensible villains, and psychotic heroes.

The POV switching was more cumbersome this time around, as I found myself interested primarily with Morden's story, followed somewhat by Penbury's. Edwin's POV chapters are just unpleasant, and Hal's and Zara's POV chapters are tedious.

On the other h
Curtis
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well Concluded

The sequel in the Dark Lord saga shows us that Dark Lords have their own set of difficulties with servants, enemies, and relatives. Being successful is never easy, especially when you're mostly dead.

The book is really quite good, although it flagged here and e it is a very satisfying conclusion overall. New characters, surprises, and the continuing dry wit found in the Handbook makes for a good read. Pick this one up, especially to see how things transpire for Morden.
Claudia Piña
Tres estrellas y media

Más sofísticado que el anterior, igualmente entretenido pero quizá menos espontáneo. Si hubo partes que me hicieron reír bastante.

Entre el absurdo y las exageraciones que al final atinan justo a los más clásicos clichés, uno se divierte mucho.

Y además se aprende todo lo necesario para ser un buen señor tenebroso, y cómo lidiar con los problemas comunes del puesto.
Eddy
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read

I loved it. Great follow up to the first novel. Humorous, witty, gritty, naughty, and a literary trove of words I had to occasionally look up. The story is colorful, imaginative, and compelling. A page turner. I read it while taking breaks from end of semester grading. Great motivation to keep grading.
Brad Gall
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great follow-up couldn't put it down!

These books have been very entertaining and a pleasure to read. I really enjoyed the fresh take the series presents. Even with the humour and satire I was still drawn into the story, in some ways more than normal because I never knew when a port twist might happen for a laugh.
Stewart
paul strikes again!

The evolution of the Dark Lord continues...As we journey through Morden's adventures we are witness to his failings and triumphs; all in NOT well for the empire, but it is very much still a good tale. Bravo, Paul!
Ralph Trickey
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting twist

I love the way this book turned everything on its head and told the story from the standpoint of the villain, pulling tropes from popular high fantasy in this battle of good vs evil.
Marty Heidorn
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although this book is not near as funny, it still manages some great laughs. The chapter on Death Traps is great! This book stood more as a serious sequel. The imagery in this book was really good. I look forward to book 3.
Shane Leighton
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was pretty good

I enjoyed this book as much as the first one. I hope to see more from this author. Very entertaining.
Jason C
Still really enjoyable, but nothing extraordinary.
James Jefferies
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I found this book slower to read than the first- unusual for me I got bored about half way through.
Adam DeConinck
Meh. Abandoning this book for now at around 20%. First one was funny but this one just feels stretched...
Roberto
Nov 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
I give up. Not my cup of tea.
Simon Collier
Gautham
Mar 11, 2015
billy bucci
May 09, 2018

• Clockwork Boys (Clocktaur War, #1)
  • The Drowning City (The Necromancer Chronicles, #1)
  • Freelance Familiars Box Set Books 1-3
  • The Wonder Engine (Clocktaur War #2)
  • Ritualist (The Completionist Chronicles, #1)
  • World War 1: A History From Beginning to End
  • Aggressive Behavior (Freelance Familiars, #4)
  • Pride Fall (Freelance Familiars, #5)
  • The Dragon Machine (Magebreakers #3)
  • The Flaw in All Magic (Magebreakers #1)
  • The Emperor's Mask (Magebreakers #2)
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
  • Raze (The Completionist Chronicles, #3)
  • Ruthless (The Completionist Chronicles, #4)
  • Rexus: Side Quest (The Completionist Chronicles, #2.5)
  • Regicide (The Completionist Chronicles, #2)
  • Scriber
  • Corpies
Paul Dale lives in Bath, England. When he's not writing, he's cycling and can be found struggling up the hills around his home.

The Dark Lord's Handbook is his first Indie book. The sequel, The Dark Lord's Handbook: Conquest, was released in September 2014.

Paul's other interests include film, baking, physics, sport and Buddhism.

Paul has a degree in Physics from Bath University and a Master's Degre

The Dark Lord's Handbook (3 books)
  • The Dark Lord's Handbook (The Dark Lord's Handbook, #1)
  • Empire (The Dark Lord's Handbook #3)