Start by marking “Embers of Starlight” as Want to Read:

Read Book

Embers of Starlight

***This book contains non-gratuitous scenes of sex without consent, drug usage, and violence***

"My life has been a hurricane, but he was the eye of the storm. For a moment in time, he was my clarity and my peace."

Kindle Edition
Published February 9th 2015 (first published February 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Embers of Starlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Embers of Starlight

Wendy'sThoughts
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dark Readers, Captive, Romance
4 Believe in Your Gut Stars * * * *
~~~~~ Updated - Now with 3 Parts ~~~~~

Last year at this time, I read the first edition of Embers of Starlight. It was a stand alone story and left the readers with a huge cliffy causing us to desperately want to know what would happen next to our main characters. Ms. De Leon decided to put all of the books together under the original title allowing the new readers to have immediate access to the complete story of courage and strength.

By doing this, all of th
Candace
As far as stories with captivity/sex-trafficking themes go, this book was pretty mediocre. It started off strong, but quickly fizzled into an implausible action/adventure, with the heroine transforming into GI Jane and single-handedly taking on a ship full of sex traffickers. It didn't ring true to me.

While this book does deal with some pretty dark topics, such as sex trafficking, rape, etc. the book itself doesn't really delve into these topics. The author provides just enough details to give t
Didi
4.5 STARS

The prologue of this book gave me chills. there are four distinct parts to this story. The first part is Tula's--our heroine--past. Tula was 17 when she met Samson, or Sam in her last year of high school. They hit it off and became close but never crossed that line that seemed to taunt them. Sam's plan was to enlist in the special forces, while Tula just wanted to finish college and start working. Their lives were going in different directions but they always stayed close. Until they di
Elfina Renee
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, favorites
I'm updating my review as I've read Embers of Starlight in three separate parts. (Ashes to Flame & Blood of My Blood has been added to complete this amazing standalone. So yaaaaaay no cliffhangers!
 photo Kidnapped 01.jpg
Wow...incredible....amazing...spine tingling, horrifically dark! The storyline is so intense, it's in your face raw and real! You're hanging on the edge of your seat, screaming "You stupid...stupid little girl"! While encouraging Talula not to give up, remain strong and shit will work it's way ou
A_Ryan
"Remember you are alive because of the love of a thousand people."

A love story which takes the reader into the dark, evil, and thoroughly depraved world of human sex trafficking. It is difficult to read in some parts, and yet so important in it's message.

The International Labor Organisation estimates that there are 20.9 million victims of human trafficking world wide. 26% of them are very young children and 55% are female (2015 figures).

This is the story of one such girl and how she found hers
Tanya
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keeper
This book took me on an emotional roller-coaster ride. First lets look at the cover. It in no way gives a clue as to what the reader will experience once we open it. And I wouldn't have it any other way. That's one of the things that's great about this story. The surprising plot that unfolds.

What started out looking like a high school romance of friends to lovers turned into something deep and dark. Human trafficking is a serious problem, and De Leon handles it with deft and sensitivity. But ev
Stephanie (Bookfever)
(view spoiler) ...more
scribes23
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Unsatisfying, did I read a different book?

“If you kiss me, and it's amazing, I'd have to live the rest of my life without ever feeling that again.”

Tula

“Sometimes you think you want something more than anything in the world, and when you finally get it, you realize it's not what you want at all.”

Sam

Okay first: don't get me wrong, I actually love the premise and the start of this book.

It was sweet and all until she cheated with her boyfriend. Okay I know Sam is all that but that doesn't m
Coco.V
Sep 20, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
💝FREE on Amazon today (9/20/18)!💝

Blurb:

In my short twenty-four years of life, I've experienced passionate love and crushing heartbreak. My first love became the one who got away. I thought I made all the right choices, but in the end, those same decisions led me down a path I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to come back from. When betrayal rears its ugly head, I get forced into the
Kate Corcino
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
(I'll be referring to the protagonist as the MC to give myself some distance. Bear with me, please. It's an amazing read, but a difficult one.)
*deep breath*

Wow. I actually waited a a couple of days before writing the review, because I was that affected by this story. It starts as another well-done YA/NA-feel book, in first-person POV. De Leon deftly handles the awkwardness of a friendship/romance that might be, and the inclusion of the mental health issue was handled well. As someone who has liv
Risa
Cassie
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*ARC REVIEW FROM ABIBLIOPHOBIA ANONYMOUS BOOK REVIEWS BLOG*

"The most sacred things in life require darkness: birth, lovemaking, and death."- Talula

Sometimes we get books that will knock us on our butt. They'll have us still thinking about them days later. They'll stay with us, and Embers of Starlight is one of those book's for me.

I didn't quite know what this book was when I was asked to review. Reading the prologue, it got me. Hit me in the gut. I had a know what will happen with this girl. Kno
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark, cliffhanger
This is the first book I've read by this author but it certainly won't be the last. I need book two now... Like now pretty please. I should have known as it was book one that it could end in a cliffhanger but like I always do I just jumped in and growled at the kindle when Id finished.

This is Tulas story. She hasn't had an easy childhood. When she meets Sam he's brightens up her life and becomes a great friend. He tells her he doesn't think he's good enough for her. She marries Adrian. What a h
Cheryl
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Embers of Starlight

Embers of Starlight is a fictional account of a very serious and culturally relevant topic. I won’t summarize the book spoil it for other readers, but please do read the description/blurb carefully as this book/topic might not be for everyone.

Positives: Very strong, smooth writing. Couldn’t find any grammatical errors or typos. The author’s voice easily carried me through the book, despite the sensitive topic, and kept me actively engaged. It also kept me emotionally engaged.
Fiona Wilson
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
Actual rating - 3-3.5

This was quite a quick read but not an easy read. It is a book of two halves.

The first half is a love story, turning into a love triangle of sorts. It ends on a happy note, but it quickly turns ugly in the second half of the book.

There are heart breaking moments in this book which were difficult to read for me. I realise that they were essential to the story, but I just found them difficult to get through.

The second part is where the dark subject matter comes into it, and it
Heather Martin
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was given this arc for my honest review. This book was a really good book and takes you into what could happen to women and children that are part of the sex trafficking that is not heard about very often. Tula is a very bright girl that ends up with a very wrong guy for her. Adrian is rich, shows her that he can give her anything and everything that she needs and uses his money to be able to show her that he needs her. Sam might not have the money and able to give her everything that she need ...more
Books, Chocolate and Wine
This book starts with very much the standard YA format, but what you get is so very different. I was hooked from the very first shockingly brutal page. Through Tula - a well developed and easy to love main character, Sonia De Leon delves headfirst into some very difficult topics. Mental illness, bereavement, domestic abuse - both emotional and psychical - rape, sex trafficking and drug use. Certainly not easy subjects to read and perhaps too many for one book, however the author carries you alon ...more
Jeannette
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review updated. I was given an ARC from the author for an honest review. Let me just say that I wish I could give this book more than 5 stars because it's just that good! This book made me laugh and it made me cry. Tula is a young woman but she's had so much happen in her life. She marries who she thinks is the person who is convenient for her. The things her husband puts her through just breaks my heart. Sam her best friend and Tula is who I was rooting for. With Sam and Tula you instantly feel ...more
Jocelyn Sanchez
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was one of those stories that was hard for me to read. The story was dark, there's no denying that, but it was also compelling. No matter what happened to the main character, I couldn't stop reading. I'm surprised I liked the book as much as I did. I don't usually read books with dark subject material, but this book is amazing and I couldn't put it down. It was a beautiful book.

I recommend this book! I'm not going to say more about it because I don't want to give away any spoilers. My
BrookLynne Winters
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I waited for a while to get my hands on this book. While this book is a fairly short read, it will grab you from the very beginning and leave you gaping when it is done. The end is a major cliffhanger so be warned but the sequel is set to come out very soon so I'm okay with that. Tula and Sam and all the characters were very well developed and the pain and joy throughout was nearly palpable. It's a dark read but worth every word.
Heather Osborne
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tula falls in love with her "ideal" man, or so she thinks. As their relationship continues, it dissolves into abuse and then criminal actions. Will Tula make it out alive?

A short, emotional read. I feel there were missed opportunities to develop the characters. Parts of the narrative seemed rushed at points, but overall, a decent novella. Looking forward to seeing how the next instalment develops.
Kathy V Jernigan
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book in the Trafficked series. It is a good read that pulls together elements from the previous books and completes the series. The violence and the abuse in the first two books made them very hard to read but also made me have to know what happens with the characters. This book gives you satisfaction with the characters but is slightly predictable.
Audrey
Dec 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The blurb on this story hooked me, but really the story missed its potential - it could have been really good.

The plot was good, however, the writing was bad and the story development was not good. It was shallow and didn't connect emotionally.

Disappointing. I give it 1.5 stars - the '.5' for the potential.
Tristina Renken
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! You really feel like your Tula's shadow. The descriptions/details were very well written, I felt like I was there. I was rooting for Sam & Tula since the beginning. The end has a bit of a cliffhanger, but I wasn't disappointed with the ending. Can't wait for book 2!
〤β●●kW●rm✦βetty⇨β●●k╚●ver-ಠ_ಠ
FML @ that cliffhanger!!

Gonna rock back and forth in my corner til the next book comes out! Please feel free to shout me or poke me when it is released
Nicole Fiorina
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"The best kind of love isn't the crashing, passionate waves of the ocean, or the roaring, consuming power of a waterfall. It's not thunder, lightning, or blazing forest fires. The sunset, truest love is like the river: calm, steady, and never stops flowing."

Beautiful writing. The pace was quick in areas it needed to be, and slower in the areas that mattered. From what I understand, this is the author's debut novel, and she did a beautiful job with an ending that came full circle.

I look forward
Debbie
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I went into this book completely blind and I am so glad I did. I was able to start this read with almost the same innocence as Tula and Sam. Just as I was settling into what was seemingly a lighthearted ya romance between Tula and Sam, the plot slowly turned to something much darker and far more sinister. The Innocence of youth was shattered by a nightmarish reality that I was incapable of imagining. Reading what Tula lived through nearly broke me. There is no hiding the brutal reality of Human ...more
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
Dec 22, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: dark-reads, arc
ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.
Lana
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow this book was pretty intense I must say. Tula needs her revenge !
Jasmine Voegeli
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
I enjoyed this book, however towards the middle I was getting very bored with it. Part of my boredom could be related to how far-fetched/unrealistic some of the events in the book seemed though everything fell together at the end. I felt parts of the book were really drawn out while other parts (the more exciting) were condensed. Overall I enjoyed it, but it definitely wasn't a book I couldn't put down.
Goodreads Librari...: Edited Wrong Book 6 22 Mar 09, 2015 02:27PM

• Beyond Revenge (Ransom, #2)
  • Scarred (Demons of Hell MC #1)
  • Tainted Rose (The Darkness Trilogy, #2)
  • Cut Wide Open (Bleeding Scars MC, #1)
  • Tic : Soulless Bastards MC No Cal Book 3 (Soulless Bastards MC No Cal, #3)
  • Dangerous Intentions (His Agenda, #2)
  • Whiskey: Ruthless Bastards (RBMC Book 1)
  • Twisted Asphalt (Asphalt Outlaw #1)
  • Nomad (Lucifer's Legion Motorcycle Club #2)
  • Sin (Devil's Fury, #1)
  • The Bonus  (Zeta Cartel, #1)
  • The Good Girl
  • Chaos
  • Our Final Tale  (Iron Fury MC, #6)
  • Wrenched (Hell's Bastard, #1)
  • Submission (Uncovering You #2)
  • Inferno (SKALS, #4)
  • Dauntless (Sons of Templar MC, #5)