Start by marking “Scary Mommy's Guide to Surviving the Holidays” as Want to Read:
Scary Mommy's Guide to Surviving the Holidays

Scary Mommy's Guide to Surviving the Holidays

Ah, the holidays: a time of joy, celebration, serenity, and peace…

Unless, of course, you have whiny, screaming children de
Published November 17th 2014 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about Scary Mommy's Guide to Surviving the Holidays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scary Mommy's Guide to Surviving the Holidays

Start your review of Scary Mommy's Guide to Surviving the Holidays
Mehsi
Parenting and holidays, what could go wrong?

I was looking around for more parenting books with humour when I bumped against this one. Scary Mommy? Holidays? Guide to survive those? Sign me up!

Though I hadn't expected it to have more than one contributor/writer. Given it is Scary Mommy, I thought there would be just one woman talking and telling us how to survive those holidays. However, in the end, I didn't mind it at all. In fact I loved the variety and loved seeing how these women were celeb
Alicia
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, netg
This is the perfect book to help you get through the holidays. In addition to Thanksgiving and Christmas. My family has 7 birthdays from November to December. I NEED to find the humor in this time of year or I will go crazy. I love Scary Mommy, because they keep it real. Parenting is a great job, but it also a hard job. When you add in unrealistic expectations of how holidays SHOULD be you tend to lost sight of the humor and actual joy of this time of year. A must read for anyone who is stressin ...more
Kim
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2014, net-galley
A really funny books- some of the sections adding more useful advice than others. Some interesting recipes included aswell. One of the funniest ones was about the benefits of having to sit at the children's table at family gatherings! You get served first, often get table gifts, often have chicken nuggets to pick at! So it's not always the short straw it might appear!

I did enjoy this one!

Many thanks to the publisher and Net Galley for the chance to read this one
Therese
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious as always

Very relatable no matter what you celebrate! Really hits how chaotic and stressful holidays are but also how wonderful and memorable.
April
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
As of this writing, there are only 73 days until Christmas. 73 days! I can hardly believe that, but it seems to arrive more quickly every year so I suppose I had better get ready. I've had Scary Mommy's Guide to Surviving the Holidays by Jill Smokler for over a year now, but I didn't have time to read it before the holidays last year and I wanted to save it until it felt a little more relevant...and until it felt a little cooler outside. This book is a collection of essays compiled by Jill Smokl ...more
Ellen Klock
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Whether it's Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Hanukkah, this fun little book will keep you laughing through the holidays. Even if your kids are grown, you can relate to the little vignettes told by the author and a host of other writers as they share their experiences in a humorous and quirky way. Scary Mommy's Guide to Surviving the Holidays by Jill Smokler includes suggestions, recipes, lists of dos and don'ts, as well as funny little stories and anecdotes. We can vicariously experience the holiday ...more
I'd So Rather Be Reading {Nat}
Jill Smokler's website, Scary Mommy, is one of my all-time favorite sites. The articles, the anonymous confessions, the community with like-minded parents, all of these elements combine to make a site that I visit at least once a day. Jill hosts guest bloggers regularly and usually has a new article every day. I love that!

I bought this book because I knew it would be a fun read, but I also wanted to support Scary Mommy Nation's Thanksgiving Project. Every year on Scary Mommy, families in need a
Angela
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Not only is this book hilarious, it is guaranteed to contain at least one story that you will swear you either wrote yourself or that someone else was inspired to write because they were lurking in your windows when you weren’t paying attention. Surely these things can’t be happening to all of us…or can they??
Stories with titles like: The Great Frozen Turkey Incident of 2006, Ten People in the Grocery Store on the Morning of Thanksgiving, and The Dysfunctional Family Drinking Game, if you’re not
Angie
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Synopsis: "From New York Times bestselling author and acclaimed “Scary Mommy” blogger Jill Smokler comes a funny and practical guide filled with essays, recipes, and tried-and-true tips sure to get any parent through the holiday season—without losing your marbles.

Ah, the holidays: a time of joy, celebration, serenity, and peace…

Unless, of course, you have whiny, screaming children demanding presents, attention, and a personal appearance by Santa or Judah the Maccabee. Then you’re screwed.

But wai
Carrie
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Scary Mommy's Guide to Surviving the Holidays is a collection of short humorous essays by a multitude of authors. The topics range from Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Hanukkah. There are also chapters of recipe's that I didn't enjoy quite so much and found myself skipping. However, there are a few I stopped and read, such as the recipe titled "a pecan pie recipe that will make family and friends want to tongue you."

Some of the stories had me laughing out loud. There is particular story about a 4
Ginny Marie
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
From recipes to anecdotes to lists, this book will get you through Thanksgiving, Hanukkah and Christmas. I laughed out loud when Jill wrote about her son being thankful for poop. Let's face it, any time a kid can get poop into the conversation, he will! I'm sure Crystal Ponti's "Put-Your-Feet-Up-While-the-Crock-Pot-Cooks Cranberry Sauce" will be much more delicious than the time I tried to make stuffing in my crock pot. It didn't turn out so well. I could totally relate to Sarah Cottrell's descr ...more
Brenda
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Irreverently Funny & Addictive

Hilarious fun, this guide is a must read for the stressed out. This is a collection of essays from easy-to-identify-with moms whose families celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas and Hanukkah, sharing their stories, advice and recipes to help you through the holidays.

My personal favorites:
- A Ten-Step Guide to Making Stuffing with your Pass
Angie
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, to-review
I received a copy of this book for an honest review from netgalley.

I don't read non-fiction. Ever. I'm not sure why I requested this book from netgalley to begin with, other than it looked funny. Funny doesn't even begin to describe this book!! It was freaking hilarious, and I'm not even a parent. I'm sure other moms would get even more enjoyment out of this than I did. And the recipes! I want to try every recipe that's in this book. I can't even decide which I would choose if I was told I could
Lisa Petty
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The holidays usually suck for my family. For some reason, something bad always happens to us this time of the year. This year was no different as we had to put our cat to sleep this week. In an effort to get out of my funk, I went looking for something funny to read. Scary Mommy's Guide to Surviving the Holidays delivered. Not only was this book funny, but it also included recipes. I am planning to make the spice cookies and the Crock pot cranberry sauce. I already play the dysfunctional drinkin ...more
Marjorie
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Given To Me For An Honest Review

Scary Mommy's Guide to Surviving the Holidays by Jill Smokler is a need to have in order to save your sanity. This book is such a fun on to read. It is full of essays, recipes and tips to help get you through the holidays without going crazy. You'll even find fun to make gift ideas. This book will help give you peace of mind and a laugh or two and save your sanity. I just loved this book. I wish I had had it when my children were small. But it still got me through
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
I have to admit I have been dipping into this little book of anecdotes ever since it was delivered. It is a lovely collection of anecdotes, advice, and recipes on how to cope with all the pressures of the holiday season.

The lovely recipes include Christmas Morning Sanity Saving French Toast (a definite starter for me next weekend - why wait until Christmas?), A pecan Pie Recipe that will make family and friends want to tongue you! (for my next birthday dinner I think but of course I will need a
Sara Thompson
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I got this book right before Christmas and thought it would be my salvation. I'm glad I waited. While we're a month away from the holiday, I found myself laughing at all the memories this book brought up. I can laugh now even though our Christmas tree is still up because it's fake and we don't have a box to put it in.
I can't wait to share with friends and look forward to all the laughs we will have as we point out the exact feelings we have had over the years.
This is a short book with short "s
Melanie Johnson
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
A very cute book that you should read before the throes of our Holiday season. I knew I would love this book when I read an entire chapter about that stupid Elf on the Shelf! There was entire chapter about Christmas in the Age of Social Media that was laugh out loud funny. This book made me feel much better. I thought I was the only Scrooge that doesn't like Christmas because of the added work it puts on women. There were some great recipes as well, so go out and buy this book!
Brooke
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Some parts were terrifyingly accurate and hysterical some were just ok. Its a fun holiday book that will give you a good chuckle. Its inexpensive and I think the money from the book goes to helping feed families at need - so even if you would find it ho-hum its worth it. I enjoyed it and am proposing book club read it and meet up post holidays and compare our tales to those in the book! Enjoy!
Christina
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
For parts of December, I wasn't really in the mood to celebrate the holidays. I put in the effort for my kids, but I would have rather lied around and watched movies all month than decorate and bake. I thought reading funny essays about the season might help. I enjoyed parts of this book. The stories were cute and some were actually funny, but I could have done without the recipes, lists, and tips.

I received this book from NetGalley for review purposes.
Alisha Webster
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
To say I liked this book would be an understatement. I loved it. I laughed so hard that I cried. They had so many different contributors so it never got boring. After the holiday season I’ve had, I needed this. Scary Mommy’s Guide to Surviving the Holidays is about family, frozen turkeys, annoying in-laws, failed dinners, thankless children, and all the holiday stresses wrapped in one humorous and easy to relate to package. 5/5
Kayla Tornello
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, short-stories
It was very appropriate that I finished reading this book on Christmas Eve, while my son was misbehaving since he was extremely tired, but too excited to actually sleep. A bunch of different authors offer short snippets of holiday humor interspersed with some quick recipes. It was quite entertaining and is a quick, easy read, which is perfect for mothers who are trying to read while hiding in the bathroom from their children.
Johanna Sawyer
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Momma's everywhere
Recommended to Johanna by: Netgalley
Thanks Netgalley for a free book to read and review.

I have one word......Hilarious. Freaking hilarious. And heartfelt. I'm sure every mother out there has wondered how others get through the holidays and this told it. Scary but true. The tuba story was my fav. I have a tuba player and it's insane how much they cost. But honestly.... A few recipes I'll try, and laughed at a few games. Very cute book. Overall entertainment is five stars. Funny, and very cute. Kudos scary mommy.
Cathy
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This sounded like a really fun book and I wasn't disappointed. A great percentage of the book deals with Thanksgiving and while this isn't a holiday that my family and I celebrate, the articles still proved interesting and amusing.

The next section is divided into articles about Hanukkah and Christmas. Again all of the articles were highly entertaining.

Utterly enjoyable and perfect for this festive season.
Jenna Copeland
Nov 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Three were some parts at the beginning that made me laugh out loud, but as with many books of this type, the humor ran thinner the longer I read. I did like "Stop cussing, it's *^~€<€ Christmas" as it captured my belief that the holidays are far far overdone in this day and age. All in all, a quick, fun read for a good cause. Recommend. ...more
Julia
Dec 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is a series of humorous essays on the winter holiday season. The essays were hit and miss, most were entertaining. I think this book is best read in small doses. After reading several of the essays, they become less humorous. I think reading them one of two at a time will really enhance the enjoyment.

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley.
Tory Michaels
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Oh, this is a fantastic book. I really enjoyed the little stories and it helps me feel not so alone when it comes to having insane children who drive me to drink. That's why I love Scary Mommy - she always has the right words for the right time to make me feel like I'm not as bad a mom as I think I am.
C. Lee Reed
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book and found it entertaining. Now I remember why I dread the holiday season. Great authors share their tips and recipes as well as remind us that it's okay to like the holidays again. At least as long as it takes you to read the book!
Kevin Zelenka
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book. I had some real favorites, but all of the stories were awesome! Great recipes snuck in as well. I love anthologies, and this one was no exception. Thanks!
Michelle Mcallister
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Funny, yet so true!

Jill Smokler has the courage to say what we are thinking when it comes to the holidays with children. Worth a read!

• Trophy Life
  • The Gifted School
What started as an innocent on-line baby book in early 2008 to chronicle her stay-at-home days with her children, quickly transformed into a vibrant community of parents, brought together by a common theme: Parenting doesn’t have to be perfect. Jill’s honest take on parenting has appeared in countless publications and on television programs including The Today Show, Good Morning America, Nightline ...more