Start by marking “Tripping Over the Truth: The Metabolic Theory of Cancer” as Want to Read:
Tripping Over the Truth: The Metabolic Theory of Cancer

Tripping Over the Truth: The Metabolic Theory of Cancer

A masterful synchronization of history and cutting-edge science shines new light on humanities darkest diagnosis.
In the wake of the Cancer Genome Atlas project's failure to provide a legible roadmap to a cure for cancer, science writer Travis Christofferson illuminates a promising blend of old and new perspectives on the disease. Tripping over the Truth follows the story
Paperback, First, 297 pages
Published October 10th 2014 by Createspace independent publishing platform

To ask other readers questions about Tripping Over the Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tripping Over the Truth

Start your review of Tripping Over the Truth: The Metabolic Theory of Cancer
Gydle
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book four stars because I'm impressed by the amount of research and sleuthing done by the author. I have read the Emperor of All Maladies, By Muhkerjee, a doctor, which recounts the history of our relationship with cancer. This book takes it a step deeper, exploring the research avenues that were all but choked off when everyone jumped on the genetic mutation bandwagon. It's a "scientific paradigm" story: right now, the prevailing wisdom is that cancer is caused by a series of ...more
Rosemary Heller
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a "must read" book for anyone who is fighting cancer, or for anyone who knows someone fighting cancer ( which is just about everyone, these days)
It explores the many theories of cancer that have been offered and researched over the years, all of which have proven to be ineffective to fight this disease. It also offers the "other " explanation for cancer that was offered 70 years ago, but that was discarded in favor of newer research . This "other" explanation, that cancer is a metabolic
michael j thornton
I lost my son

Evan was taken by Ewings Sarcoma. At the beginning we believed oncologist new what was going to be the route to take to over come this death sentence. And what we learned is that the path was singular,tried,thoughtless,and uncreative. This book is about the stale and pathetic state this country and its researchers and doctors are in. There are possibilities out there with strong evidence but the system continues to fail because it's mediocre at best. Consider what this book is
Helena Pilih
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves
The most important book I've read all year, maybe ever. Audiobook A +
Pedro Jorge
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This a book that may well save your life in the future. It reads like pop history, but unveils some of the most groundbreaking truths that, unfortunately, we've been tripping over for the last one hundred years.

In 2009, a teenager with terminal liver cancer went through a last resort treatment based on 3BP, a substance that is supposedly found without much effort in chemical stores. Some short months went by, and he was cured. My beloved grandfather did not have the same luck, in 2010. After
Guilherme Zeitounlian
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very thorough and well-researched.

This books tells the story of cancer, explains some of the science behind it (and some paradigms), and even brings emotion when it recounts some cases - like the the one of Yvar Verhoeven.

It is an exciting read (although dense at times), and I recommend it to pretty much everyone.

Or, at least, to people who:
- are interested in the history of science,
- are interested in health and longevity,
- are interested (or concerned) about cancer in themselves or their loved
Stefani
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, 2015
Great primer on the history of cancer research and treatment. Seems obvious to me that cancer is best when treated as a metabolic disease (missing/damaged mitochondria), not just a disease of damaged DNA (because it appears that the mitochondria damage comes first). The sad part is that people still want some "miracle pill" rather than adopting a ketogenic lifestyle and other metabolic solutions.
Gard
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting read, indeed. A lot of scientific evidence points to cancer being a metabolic (rather than genetic) disease, connected with deformed cell mitochondria in cancerous cells. These damaged mitochondria makes it impossible for the cancer cells to effectively process glucose oxidatively, and instead the cells must turn to fermentation (anaerobic) of glucose, a much less energy efficient process. The theory is that the deformed mitochondria initiates sequences that damages the cell's ...more
Sharon Michael
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating look at the history of cancer treatment over the last century. The observation that cancer cells ferment glucose was made by Warburg back in the twenties and is still known as the Warburg effect. However, this was ignored over the ensuing decades as the emphasis shifted away from metabolism and toward genetics, mutations, and chemotherapy. The author tells the story of the evolution of cancer therapy in a compelling way, almost with a sense of urgency. Yes, mistakes have been made, ...more
Kayleen
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A history of cancer research. He uses Cancer the Emperor of All Maladies as a source, so it follows the new Ken Burns documentary as to the history. Though he spends time paying special attention to the theory that cancer is a disease of metabolics.

Which does tie together every thing I have learned about cancer. It's an exciting idea, and one that is gaining traction. Change your diet, change your cancer risk. Very interesting.
Daniel Russell
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Christofferson has taken a complicated subject and made it understandable to a lay person like myself, thank you
Irwan
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished, 2017
For me this is a crash course on the subject and full of pointers for further readings.

Catatan bacaan saya ada di sini:
Nan
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fascinating story about cancer research and medicines. Great useful guides at the end.
Peter McCluskey
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is mostly a history of cancer research, focusing on competing grand theories, and the treatments suggested by the author's preferred theory. That's a simple theory where the prime cause of cancer is a switch to fermentation (known as the metabolic theory, or the Warburg hypothesis).

He describes in detail two promising treatments that were inspired by this theory: a drug based on 3-bromopyruvate (3BP), and a ketogenic diet.

Most of the book implies that the Warburg effect is a universal
Nikolas Larum
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cancer
As a cancerand a cancer treatmentsurvivor, this book was a revelation. Had I been told in my original consultations that chemotherapy came from an accidental exposure of sailors to mustard gas and what they wanted to put through my veins was mustard gass cousin, I may have investigated alternative therapies more thoroughly. But by then, I was hurting and scared.

Early in the 20th century, Otto Warburg developed a workable metabolic theory of cancer that has recently gained momentum as the chasers
Robbie Forkish
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. The general approach that has guided cancer research for the past 50 years or so is now being called into question; cancer has been assumed to have a genetic cause since the mid 20th century. But, prior to that in 1931 Otto Warburg won the Nobel prize for a different theory, which is now being given a second look by leading cancer researchers. It's called the metabolic theory of cancer, and treatments being worked on are non toxic (including the keto diet).

I'm obviously not a
Jess Macallan
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nutrition-health
ZhongWang
Not sure I buy the theory, but it is an interesting piece of work.
Pacific Lee
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
The rubber meets the road for our current state of cancer research when you consider the facts. Cancer deaths have not been curtailed due to therapy since the war on cancer began (in fact rates are projected to increase).

Out of the 700 "targeted therapies" tested in patients in the early 2000s, "[zero] is the number of targeted therapies that have prolonged survival by one year, when compared to conventional treatment." (p.157). Even the greatly touted breast cancer drug Herceptin is only "able
Mary Karpel-Jergic
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating read and one which leaves you with a sense of hope that there might really be a cure for cancer. It has been so elusive. In 1986 John Bailer in a systematic review established that in 1985 a million people were diagnosed with cancer and the maths revealed that all efforts combined since the 'war on cancer' began, saved the lives of only 4%. Today we get regaled with headline news about treatments but basically it is about lengthening survival time (and sometimes this is just a ...more
Tudor G B
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book explaining in simple terms the metabolic theory of cancer.

The book starts off with the history of cancer and brings us to current times, explaining why people believe the current genetic theory of cancer. The book does a good job explaining why the metabolic theory may be right.

The book is not very condensed and it feels more like a historical / narrative book rather than a science book. The history of cancer written in this book makes the metabolic theory sound more reasonable. In
Mark Evans
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for anyone involved with or affected by cancer.

Becoming a brain cancer expert isn't easy but is essential to have any chance of escaping the dire short path most GBM patients like me suffer. Of my many 100's of hours of research, this book is the first recommendation I would to anyone diagnosed with any form of cancer and their families before making any decisions how to proceed. Brilliantly written for the layperson and surprisingly engaging for such a dry subject. That not a
Jill Bowman
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up because it was mentioned on a Keto podcast. I didnt expect it to be 95% history of cancer drugs and biochemistry. I dont know why - thats pretty much what it says on the cover. 🤷♀
Anyway, I couldnt put it down. It was so interesting and well researched. I liked that the author called some people out on their choices but was pretty even handed at the end.
I already eat a ketogenic diet and do somewhat extended fasts. Both of my parents died of cancer. Im hoping epigenetics work in
Joan
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Superb! Looks at Warburg and Seyfried with eyes unbiased by the mercantile cancer establishment status quo.
Wonderfully researched and written like the story it is, I read the book as I am fascinated with the metabolic basis of cancer and the author did it justice.
A great read for ANYONE touched by cancer with themselves or someone in their life (and thats all of us).
Open your mind to the concept that the answer may NOT be poisons more expensive than our homes and think of the possibilities in
Ali
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An outstanding book in cancer that will give you a much deeper insight into the mechanism and scientific/medical history. Unlike some boring journal, the details and clues are presented in an engaging manner that mixes history, biography, medicine, and scientific mechanism.

For me, the book filled important details as to why a ketogentic state and fasting are important components for both prevention and treatment.

A must read!

If you want a great summary of the book, see this youtube talk from
Murray
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a remarkably fine book. Read it before you or a loved one gets cancer. It suggests a new paradigm is emerging that will more involve radically different (and possibly much, much cheaper) treatment protocols.
The key is the work of a scientist of rare genius, Otto Warburg. His work is finally being recognised.
Believe it or not, this science book is a real page turner and honours many different and brilliant scientists, even when the author demonstrates they may now appear to have got it
Petter Wolff
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't stop reading this. Just mind-boggling how this could possibly upend the entire management of cancer care and actually prolong and save lives to such a degree that perhaps only antibiotics could provide an adequate analogy. Kind of holding my breath and hoping that it will end with a Nobel for Seyfried and Pedersen - because that would mean that this has shown enormous therapeutic value.
The book is quite well written, too, by the way.
BNV Raman
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very well detailed book. The author brings out the history of cancer and cancer research in an interesting way for non medical people. Very engaging book and a must read. The conclusions reached at the end of the book are very valuable and thought provoking.

The only point I would like to raise is that the author does not discuss / repudiate many objections and points raised by the detractors of the Metabolic Theory of Cancer.
Matt Mcguire
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent introduction to our historical ups and downs (mostly downs) with cancer, along with a hopeful look at the newly popular metabolic approach to the disease. The book does get technical in several places, but even though I have no scientific training beyond high school, I was able to keep up.

I hope this book reaches far and wide and that some of the metabolic-based therapies and drugs are able to find patrons for clinical trials. Read it and pass it along to your friends!
Tomasz Urbaszek
Jun 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019
Well, history told in this book is highly appealing. However, it is very subjective and is closer to a sales pitch that to a research paper. During the reading I started to have a lot of doubts so I decided to consult my two friends, an experienced oncologist and a fresh medicine student. Both of them were highly skeptical. So, I would rather recommend to make your own research with google instead of reading this book.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Metabolic Approach to Cancer: Integrating Deep Nutrition, the Ketogenic Diet, and Nontoxic Bio-Individualized Therapies
  • Mitochondria and the Future of Medicine: The Key to Understanding Disease, Chronic Illness, Aging, and Life Itself
  • The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet
  • Keto for Cancer: Ketogenic Metabolic Therapy as a Targeted Nutritional Strategy
  • The Longevity Paradox: How to Die Young at a Ripe Old Age
  • Lifespan: Why We Age—and Why We Don't Have To
  • How to Starve Cancer ...without starving yourself: The Discovery of a Metabolic Cocktail That Could Transform the Lives of Millions
  • Dirty Genes: A Breakthrough Program to Treat the Root Cause of Illness and Optimize Your Health
  • Wired to Eat: How to Rewire Your Appetite and Lose Weight for Good
  • The Laws of Medicine: Field Notes from an Uncertain Science
  • The Breakthrough: Immunotherapy and the Race to Cure Cancer
  • Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food
  • The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living
  • The Ketogenic Bible: The Authoritative Guide to Ketosis
  • The Plant Paradox: The Hidden Dangers in "Healthy" Foods That Cause Disease and Weight Gain
  • The Longevity Diet: Discover the New Science Behind Stem Cell Activation and Regeneration to Slow Aging, Fight Disease, and Optimize Weight
  • Lies My Doctor Told Me: Medical Myths That Can Harm Your Health
  • Bad Pharma: How Drug Companies Mislead Doctors and Harm Patients

News & Interviews

“Cancer, above all other diseases, has countless secondary causes. But, even for cancer, there is only one prime cause. Summarized in a few words, the prime cause of cancer is the replacement of the respiration of oxygen in normal body cells by a fermentation of sugar.” 1 likes
“Many of these drugs were doing nothing but making the mice lose their appetites. It was the reduced calories that had the anti-tumor effect.” 1 likes