Start by marking “Stranger From the Depths” as Want to Read:
Stranger From the Depths

Stranger From the Depths

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  95 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
After sleeping for thousands of years the last survivor of a lost civilization returns to life to reveal secrets of the earth's core never imagined.
Published 1967 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about Stranger From the Depths, please sign up.

Ginny Yes, apparently there is a hardcover version from 1967 that is the complete book. The Scholastic version was 'edited and abridged' for children in (I…moreYes, apparently there is a hardcover version from 1967 that is the complete book. The Scholastic version was 'edited and abridged' for children in (I think) 1970.
(less)

Ravenpi
May 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was just a load of fun. I read it back in the 70's, but, unlike some of the older folk here who've read it, I remember it very, very well. In a nutshell, we follow a band of high school friends who've discovered a statue made of diamond after the New England coast is hit by a tsunami. This -- along with a college professor mentor of theirs -- leads them to discover an undersea tomb which contains Saa, the lizard man depicted on the cover. He -- having been in suspended animation for eo ...more
Evan
So nice, I read it twice - but that was a long time ago in the days of youth. A pleasant, environmentally conscious science fiction adventure for kids that combines HG Wells/Jules Verne with Atlantis-like themes. The star of the book is a lizard man named Saa, a friendly survivor of a dying race of amphibian people who live deep below the Earth. He takes some human kids to this fantasy world, which is, as best I can recall, well described. I honestly can't remember the outcome, but I do remember ...more
Astrid
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this from Scholastic books when I was 7, I would turn 8 later that year. I remember getting yelled at by my mom because I wouldn't put it down. As I child I just sank into this world and it wouldn't be until I read LOTR when I was around 12 that I would find another world that completely consumed me. I tried to find out information on the author and near as I can tell this was the only book he/she wrote? I would love to have more info.
As to the story itself, what could be more amazin
Kevin
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Juveniles, young adults
Shelves: sci-fi
Enjoyable sci-fi tale for juveniles. I read this, oooooh, probably in the 3rd grade, so easy reading (with lots of challenging, imagination-spurring ideas). Apparently printed in abridged and unabridged editions. I read the abridged Scholastic edition.

A modern variant on 'Journey to the Center of the Earth', with a race of beings using advanced technology to colonize the earth's interior. From keep-cool body suits to magma-proof transporters, everything has a power limitation due to the incredib
the gift
inspired to go by memory of books read when very young- if remembered, they are obviously very significant, rated four or five, though i do not recall how old i was when i read this (did i read an abridged version?). just remember that this science fiction book is one of the first i read, what might be considered young adult now, that it is fantastic, tragic, horrifying, more science than fantasy, this was important- very early on i required plausibility/possibility rather than impossibility, no ...more
D Parsons
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
A purely nostalgic read. One of the first science fiction novels I ever owned...bought the abridged version from Scholastic books back in the day. I ordered the unabridged version through ILL. What a difference 45 years makes. I can see why I liked it then; however, really poor writing and editing. Worst of all, the "science" in the story is horribly flawed even for the original publishing date of 1967.
Wayne
Aug 18, 2011 rated it liked it
I read this book when I was a teenager and I found a copy again recently. It was written in the 50's or 60's. It was pretty good, and hasn't suffered too much over time. It's trying to not be sexist and sometimes succeeds. It's a bit more advanced than a lot of YA books I've read. I did enjoy it, but it's not fantastic.
Jack Mort
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I first read this in 1970. Even after all these years it was still one of my favorite book.s. I finally found an affordable copy at Amazon, it arrived in the mail today and read it in just about one sitting. It's still an interesting story, and easy to read. It was a genuine pleasure to read again, in some ways like being reunited with an old friend.
Lon Kvanli
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this story to my sons when they were in grade school. They loved it.
Nathan
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable somewhat dated sci-fi that's a quick and fun read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »