Start by marking “Nightmare Magazine 25: October 2014. Women Destroy Horror! Special Issue” as Want to Read:
Nightmare Magazine 25: October 2014. Women Destroy Horror! Special Issue

Nightmare Magazine 25: October 2014. Women Destroy Horror! Special Issue

(Nightmare Magazine #25)

NIGHTMARE is an online horror and dark fantasy magazine. In NIGHTMARE's pages, you will find all kinds of horror fiction, from zombie stories and haunted house tales, to visceral psychological horror.

Funded as a stretch goal of our sister-magazine LIGHTSPEED’s Women Destroy Science Fiction! Kickstarter campaign, this month we're presenting a special issue of NIGHTMARE call
Published September 30th 2014 by John Joseph Adams (first published September 29th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Nightmare Magazine 25, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightmare Magazine 25

Ben Nash
The Destroy Project excited me from the first time I heard about it, but Nightmare magazine is the first of the three issues I've read. I'm not nearly as much of a Horror reader as I am a science fiction and fantasy reader, so go figure.

Of the original pieces, It Feels Better Biting Down worked the best. The more narrow focus and creative take on body horror connected with me and creeped me out.

The best story, though, was the reprint from Tanith Lee, Black and White Sky. Magpies start inexplic
Miriam
Oct 15, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: short-stories
Maybe I'll read some of these for Halloween.
Richard Houchin
Dec 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: magazine, horror
Several of these stories made me uncomfortable and I'd rather not read them again, so mission accomplished for horror! The editor says that it was an entirely unexpected coincidence that twins feature prominently in many unrelated stories in this edition, but I read it and now I'm having twins. Spoooky.
Dystopian
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wanted to love love love this but it was just okay. I didn't find the horror horrifying or scary or even that unsettling (bar a few exceptions).
Celia
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first heard about it, I loved the idea of the Destroy series. This was the first one I picked up, in part because of the cover which I think is great. And the content was amazing as well. Not all of it, it's an anthology and there were a few stories which I didn't care for. But the original short story "This is Not for You" by Gemma Files was amazing, as well as the re-print of "Black and White Sky" by Tanith Lee. Tanith Lee is awesome and I so need to read more of her stuff. I also reall ...more
Fantasy Literature
I wouldn’t normally review a magazine from last month, but the October issue of Nightmare Magazine is something special, and it’s still available. In this issue, Women Destroy Horror! Issue 25 is devoted to horror written by women, the result of a Kickstarter originally intended to help women destroy science fiction (in the June 2014 issue of Lightspeed Magazine) that met its stretch goals. (Full disclosure: I contributed to the Kickstarter.)

The guest fiction editor of this issue is Ellen Datlow
Cora Snow
Jul 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: anthologies
3/5.

Positive: My favourite story was This is Not for You, a very dark story about a cult of female serial killers. I also liked Sideshow, Unfair Exchange, and It Feels Better Biting Down. Overall, it was a quick read that I mostly enjoyed, with a lot of dark and grim elements that weren't scary, but were disturbing.

Negative: There were a couple of stories that were kind of boring.
Schweighsr
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
The first story in this issue is "This Is Not For You" by Gemma Files gave me nightmares. It is an amazing, creepy, perfect slice of life worthy of Shirley Jackson. I have to seek out more stories by this author!
Sian Jones
As another reviewer said, I wanted to love this issue (as much as I loved its sister issue, Women Destroy Science Fiction), but I couldn't. The fiction was oddly unaffecting -- even the iconic reprints. The roundtable discussion is the main reason to pick this issue up.
Mar 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Some of these were good but holy shit that JCO story. I have never read anything more fucked up in my life and now I can't get it out of my head. Wish I hadn't read it.
Stephanie
Nov 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, read-2015
LOVED the Tanith Lee reprint in this.
Rob Port
W. P.
Jan 01, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Speculative Short...: Women Destroy Horror! 7 33 Nov 12, 2014 07:01AM
Ellen Datlow has been an award-winning editor of short science fiction, fantasy, and horror for over twentyfive years.

She is editor of the Best Horror of the Year and has edited or co-edited a large number of award-winning original anthologies. Her most recent are Supernatural Noir, Naked City, Blood and Other Cravings, The Beastly Bride, Teeth, Trolls Eye View, and After (the last three with Ter

Nightmare Magazine (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • Nightmare Magazine 1: October 2012