Start by marking “Maximus” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  177 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Maximus has never known peace. In command of one of Rome's finest legions, he and his closest friend, Androcles, have fought side by side to uphold the glory of the empire.

But at the end of a long and bloody campaign, Maximus begins to question his purpose, his past, and the gods he has been taught to believe in.

When word reaches Rome of a man named Jesus who is causing a
Published March 3rd 2015 by Ensign Peak

To ask other readers questions about Maximus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maximus

Reeda Booke
A heart-warming story which follows two men. Maximus, is a general and battle weary from fighting endless campaigns that have no meaning and of gods that offer no purpose. He is sent on a secret mission from the emperor to investigate the claims of a certain Nazarene who some believe is the long awaited Messiah. Along with his best friend, Androcoles, they are tasked with finding out if he poses a threat to Rome. What they find will change their lives...

For a first time author, I thought he did
Amy
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
An interesting premise burdened by amateur technique. This story suffered from extreme head-hopping and POV confusion, passive scenes, and too much telling instead of showing, to the point I could never connect with the characters or get wholly engrossed in the story.
Hilary
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it

After years of service to the Empire Maximus has become disillusioned with the endless need to conquer and crush other cultures. He's also losing faith in the Roman gods, so when he returns to Rome after another campaign he's almost relieved to be sent off to Jerusalem in disguise to ascertain the threat to Rome posed by this new Jesus person. What he finds, to his great astonishment, is so much more than he expected.

Even though this is not intended to be a scholarly work, there's a mo
Makenzie
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is incredibly written!! I loved this story so much! I want to read it every year prior to Easter!!!
My Book Addiction and More MBA
MAXIMUS by Richard L. Black is a inspirational historical fiction. An interesting tale, that is familiar but told in a different perception. The re-telling of the life and death of Jesus of Nazareth. Told though the eyes of Maximus, a General who commands legions of up to men, and his second-in-command, Androcles.

While, an interesting and intriguing, I had a hard time connecting with some of the characters. I felt they lacked true character. We all know the story of Jesus', his crucifixion, his
Delilah
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-reads
I really enjoyed reading this book…. the story is very familiar but told from an unfamiliar perspective. Maximus works for Emperor Tiberius and is sent on a mission to discover if Jesus is a threat to the Roman Empire. In his journey, Maximus is taken under the guidance of a Jew, Ezra. In a Jewish disguise, he starts to follow Jesus of Nazareth, and something unexpected happens. He believes. He experiences the peace and love of brotherhood taught by this Rabbi, witnesses first hand many miracles ...more
Hailey Burt
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5s-all-around
I really loved this book!! I was very pleasantly surprised at the wonderful story line and the new display on the life of Jesus. I learned a lot about Jews and the way of line in Jesus's time. I want to read this book every year about this time to prepare myself for Christmas and the celebration of the birth of Jesus.
Monica
Feb 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
I found the narration and dialogue much too modern for the setting. It was also an incredibly slow build-up and I couldn't find it in myself to finish it. The premise is intensely interesting to me, though, and I probably would have greatly enjoyed it if not for these two issues.
Karen Laird
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
By
L Black

Susan

When word reaches Rome of a man named Jesus who is causing a stir in faraway Judaea, Maximus and Androcles are sent, disguised as Jews, to ascertain the truth of the situation: Is this J
Brennan Pearson
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The book was a decent enough read, but left some lacking in the character depth around the main character (Maximus). The book was clean though and provided some food for thought on those christian topics mentioned in it. I enjoyed the book but I could have enjoyed it more with a little more character development. A good one sitting kind of read. I would recommend the book to those looking for a clean christian novel, with a little bit of time to kill. If you stick with it, the story turns gratif ...more
Anika
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting Historical fiction about a Roman general, his friend, and a traditional jewish family about the time of the Savior' s ministry from the POV of various characters throughout the story. While the story and premise were interesting, I felt it had some pacing issues. It started really slowly, and had a lot of details and tangents, then ended abruptly only making a cursory attempt at resolving all the open subplot threads. Overall, I liked this story, but it could have benefited from a co ...more
SchatzyT
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was ok. It started out as an interesting story, mostly from a Roman soldier's point of view. However, the story line went from interesting to cheesy to mushy and ended as unrealistic. It seemed as if someone was crying on every other page. "Weeping", "tears running down his/her face", "eyes filled with tears", and "silent tears" seemed to be repeated over and over...and over.
Arza
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book, and that is saying a lot. I typically HATE character studies, but this one was beautiful, even if the end may have been a little less than I wanted. Easily one of the best books I have ever read.
Josh Wilson
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised by Maximus. The story is clever, and the characters are very easy to understand and like. I felt it was a good Christian book while not screaming Christianity throughout the whole book. This book is a good book I would say mostly for teens in it's structure and flow, but it was good nonetheless and I have read it about 3 different times now.
Swhe641200
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
10.2017 2nd ward book group book. I really liked it a general who followed Jesus to see if he was trying to over throw the Romans. Good insight onto Jesus life and teachings.
Maren
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Natalie
In historical fiction, there should probably be time periods where the word "processed" is off limits for characters to use when thinking about their own interior lives.

If you can get past stuff like that, this alternate telling/perspective on the days leading up to the crucifixion of Jesus is not the usual lenten fare and will find an enthusiastic audience among certain listeners. The voice acting in the audio book edition is excellent.
Lillian
I received an eARC of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of this review.

Hmmm....this story had SO much potential but it just didn't cut it for me. Maybe I expected too much? I was really excited to read Maximus by Robert L. Black. From the moment I saw the cover and then read the synopsis I thought "This book will be awesome!" Sadly it wasn't.

Maximus follows the story of a Roman general - the book's namesake - se
Gina
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, 2015
I was really excited for the book. I love historical fiction, and the idea of this Roman legionnaire learning from Jesus intrigued me. Here check out the synopsis:

“General Maximus is commander of Rome's finest legions. He has known violence his entire life. When he and his best friend, Androcles, return from a long, bloody campaign, Maximus finds himself questioning his life. Word has reached Rome of a man named Jesus who is causing a stir in faraway Judea. Maximus and Androcles are sent to asce
Lynn
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pub date 03/03/15

A retelling of the timeless story of the life and death of Jesus of Nazareth, as seen through the eyes of two Roman soldiers. Maximus, a General who commands legions of up to 6,000 men, and his second-in-command, Androcles, are sent to Palestine to determine whether Jesus poses any threat to Rome. Disguised as Jews, Jacob and Levi, they land at Caesarea and begin their mission. In Capernaum, they assist a small fishing boat on the Sea of Galilee, become involved with the family
Rayleigh
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Maximus is a neat story that demonstrates the heart of it's author. In reading Maximus you can definitely see the author's desire to spread the Gospel in his own special way, and that is exactly what he did! The story was well researched and I was pleased with how well the characters were made and how each one had his/her special part in the story.

However, in reading this book, I could definitely tell that this was Black's first book. The writing was kind of choppy and he switched in between PO
Shauna
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A FASCINATING look into the life and times of Jesus~

Two high ranking Roman soldiers impersonate common Jewish men...

In order to follow Jesus to see who he is, what he does, and to see if he is a threat to the Roman empire.

They are to report directly to Pontius Pilate under order of emperor Tiberius.

These two men, Maximus and Androcles, who have fought long, hard battles...

Now find themselves fully immersed in Jewish traditions and living with a family in the fishing village of Capernaum.

They not
Millie
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-favs
This book is right up there with The Robe and Quo Vadis. I love historical fiction accounts of Christ. Reading was an uplifting experience and served to increase my own faith in and love for my Savior.
Susan
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
General Maximus has returned to Rome victoriously. He has won the battle. However, Maximus secretly questions why Rome is still going to battle -- don't they have enough land and goods? Maximus and his best friend Androcles are sent to Judea to find out if Jesus is a threat to Rome. They are disguised as Jews and taught the Jewish culture as they sail to Judea.

Maximus is a novel that includes politics, mystery and love. It is rich and full of description besides the excellent writing of the cha
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed seeing the last days of Christ through the eyes of these Roman Solgiers. While this lacked details on the everyday life and customs of the Romans or Jewish people at the time, I found the story very moving as you see the change of heart these Romans have as they encounter Christ and his followers. The change happens rather quickly and without a whole lot of effort but it is a great example of the process of conversion and commitment to Christ. I liked the characters but felt like they ...more
Italo Italophiles
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is written from the heart.

It bases the story on The Bible's account of the Passion of Christ, and the teachings that Jesus, the people's rabbi, did that lead up to his crucifixion and resurrection.

The author tells the story from the point of view of a Roman soldier who is disillusioned with his life in sadistic Rome's society, and with his role as a military officer.

The history of life in Rome is not always accurate, but the author's heart is in the right place. This is a sweet story
Danielle
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked many things in this book. I loved how well this book explained the history of how and why the Romans were in control over the Jews and the areas they lived in. I loved understanding why in the new testament the centurians were there which I never understood before. I also loved learning about Pontius Pilate and Herod Antipas and why as Romans they had so much power over the Jews. It was interesting to understand why The Jewish rulers needed Herod and Pilate to sign off to punish C ...more
Polly Krize
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A re-telling of the story of Jesus of Nazareth from the Roman point of view. Maximus, a Roman general and his second in command, Androcles go undercover to determine whether Jesus and his followers are a threat to the Roman Empire. Crossing the path of Jesus causes Maximus to question his belief system and his own place in the world. I feel the characters were a bit under-developed, but the book was well-researched and is a satisfyi
Lorraine
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
For his first book, I think this was solid and engaging. Was it a home-run? No. But, I enjoyed it. The focus was the main character, Maximus, as it should have been. But, his love interest was sorely neglected as the book went on. Her thoughts, dreams, opinions were hardly ever mentioned as the story progressed which I think was a serious flaw because she ended up being nothing more than a shadow figure towards the end.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Storm Descends (Fire and Steel, #2)
  • Enoch Primordial (Chronicles of the Nephilim #2)
  • People Of The Ark (Ark Chronicles, #1)
  • Land of Silence
  • The Insanity of Murder (Dr Dody McCleland, #4)
  • Digital Winter
  • House of Living Stones
  • When the Sky Fell Apart
  • Simply Anna
  • Chasing the Lion (Sword of Redemption #1)
  • The Pastor's Husband
  • True Heroes: A Treasury of Modern-day Fairy Tales Written by Best-Selling Authors
  • Revenge in a Cold River (William Monk, #22)
  • The Rider of the White Horse
  • I, Claudia: A Tale of Pontius Pilate
  • The Nightingale Nurses (Nightingales #3)
  • Esther's Song
  • A Tale of Light and Shadow (A Tale of Light and Shadow, #1)
Richard earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Finance from California State University Long Beach. His diverse professional background has spanned from the 104th floor of the original World Trade Towers in New York as an Institutional Stock Trader to a major software corporation working closely with the Department of Defense and the Intelligence Community.

Maximus is his first novel. He defines it