Start by marking “The Immortal Crown (Saga of Kings, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Immortal Crown (Saga of Kings, #1)

The Immortal Crown

(Saga of Kings #1)

A thousand years ago, the Navigator possessed thirteen stones touched by Oum’ilah, the God of gods. Over time, these power-ful stones of light were scattered and a prophecy arose declaring that a “child of no man” would gather them again, and he would be given immortality and reign forever as god and king of Kandelaar.

Now, in an age of chaos, the time has come for the prop
Published May 3rd 2016 by Shadow Mountain (first published May 3rd 2015)

Start your review of The Immortal Crown (Saga of Kings, #1)
Mark Halse
Apr 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
Wow... and not in a good way. Why is it that every douchebag who masters the pencil decides that they should write the next epic fantasy masterpiece? It's an insult!

Mediocre filmmaker, Keith Merrill takes a shabby world and an average idea and bores his poor readers to an early grave. In THE IMMORTAL CROWN we are introduced to a monk (yawn), a usurper (barf) and mad warlord (yawn, barf, sigh) as they all independently decide that they are each entitled to wear the Immortal Crown and reign over m
Grace Troxel
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review originally appeared on my blog, Books Without Any Pictures:

This is the week where I finish all of the books that have been sitting on my Goodreads “Currently Reading” shelf forever. I started reading The Immortal Crown by Kieth Merrill back in May, and despite really liking the plot, it’s taken me a while to finish it. It’s a pretty hefty dose of epic fantasy, and well worth the read.

The plot of The Immortal Crown revolves around a prophecy. So
Karie
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a difficult book for me to get into. You know how a realtor will describe a house as "cozy" when really it's just cramped? A realtor for this book would call it "richly detailed".

And yet....

For this book, you need it.

Mr. Merrill has set up a world that is not your typical high fantasy agrarian, with rolling fields and castles and serfs. Instead there are jungles and plains, stone temples and fortresses. The characters are, by turns, intense, dark, bloodthirsty, and devout. There is a
Felix
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great find and a awesome start to a great story. I f you like fantasy this is a must read!
Laura.125Pages
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on www.125pages.com goftgif2  Why, oh why do I keep requesting sweeping epics? I know I will be confused, I know I will hate all of the description used but yet I still persist in wanting to read them. The Immortal Crown by Kieth Merrill is a true grand tale. Full of intrigue, hidden identities, plotting and magic, it covers all of the necessary bases. So was I confused? Yup. Did I like it? Yup? Will I read the next while cursing the fact that again I picked a super c ...more
Lana
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty awesome! The world building was fantastic and it was really interesting to see the author derive some of his inspiration from Ether. There were several different main characters, which I think is amazing, especially since they were all distinct and I could tell them apart. The plot was semi-predictable (and by that I mean there weren't any huge plot twists, but there were some small ones I didn't see coming) but it was interesting enough to keep me reading. It did take a lit ...more
Sue Smith
Mar 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Well, I can’t tell you how glad I am that this book is done and that I won’t be continuing on with the saga. Good luck to those of you that do - you’re a braver reader than me. Hmm - maybe the adjective ‘braver’ isn’t the actual one that I really meant, but it’s probably the most polite. I applaud your tenacity whatever the case. I just can’t go on! It was enough to complete the book - forget about actually reading more of this rambling mish-mash of characters and concepts.

First off, I need to
Debra Martin
Apr 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I was really looking forward to reading a good epic fantasy story. "The Immortal Crown" promised to be that story, but I have to say that I was very disappointed in this book. First of all, there were so many characters in the story that it was hard to keep track of them all. It was at the 50% mark that I finally could figure who was who. With so many chapters in between before we got back to one of the characters, I had almost forgotten their story. I was also extremely disappointed that not on ...more
Elizabeth Fantham
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fantastic start to a series. I'm unsure of why there are so many more negative reviews. Yes, the book starts slow. With that being said, you can tell the author is setting up for the rest of the series.

There are many different POVS. It is not difficult to follow at all. I listened to audio which is notorious for being difficult when there are many characters and I did not have any issues at all. So NO there are not "too many characters".

Cliffhanger ending I wouldn't call abrupt. No,
Erica
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-authors
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review via netgalley.

The Immortal Crown (Saga of Kings) gets off to a slow start. There was a lot of back story, and vivid descriptions. This is not a book you can read in spurts. (Think Wheel of Time. This is a big story.)
One early scene at the temple with Asher shows why the descriptions are needed. (It made me think of Jesus's days of fasting and temptation.) I don't think you'd have gotten the same feelings with out the way Mr. Merrill wrote it.

An
Kahna Andrus
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So fun. I was completely swept away into this fictional world. It has a Game of Thrones feel (but not as graphic) but the author so clearly creates this world, it as if I have seen the movie. Duality in characters, moral struggles, adventure, romance ... All the makings of a fantastic compelling story. Loved it!
WANDA HARRISON
LOOK OUT LORD OF THE RINGS. THE SAGA OF THE KINGS IS ON THE RISE. THIS BOOK IS A ROLLER COAST RIDE OF ADVENTURE IN ANCIENT HISTORY. A REAL PAGE TURNER AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK.
CHARLES R. HARRISON
Lavon Moffett
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite a book!!!!

So many twists and turns in this book. The story and characters are interesting,as well as the descriptions where the story takes place. I enjoyed the book and look forward to reading the next novel in the series.
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/mini-rev...

An okay read, but not as good as I had hoped. A lot of characters to keep track of, and I could barely keep them apart.
Mimi
Jan 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
This book was... a lot. The amount of times I had to put this book down because I just really did not like it was too many. I'm honestly surprised I even finished it, especially considering it's over 500 pages long. Some authors can make 500 pages seem like only 100. This is not one of those authors.

First off, the author felt the need to describe every single aspect of every single character and the place they were in and what the weather was and what everyone was wearing. In some cases that can
Chelsea
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
I really did enjoy this book. I listened to it recorded by Tim Gerard Reynolds and he did a fantastic job. It was an interesting plot, interesting characters, and interesting worldbuilding. All of the characters were very distinct and I never mixed them up. When the second book comes out I am excited to read it.
That being said, there were several things I didn't love about it. My biggest problem was a lack of cohesion. It had a very large cast of main characters that overlapped sometimes but wer
Kellen Major
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Immortal CrownThis book is a very fun interesting book to read if you want a book about lots of adventure and battle. It is By Keith Merrill and has a very good story plot and it has lots of good fun story twists and castles. It is a longer book than you might expect but in it there are three people who each posses stones of light. The stones are mostly lost and hard to find, but a evil bandit is after them to make him immortal and eventually take over the kingdom. The other people in the st ...more
Emilou
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was wavering between two and three stars. While I did like the book enough to give it three stars, I had to give it a two for several reasons, one of those the fact that there seems to be no hint of book two coming out at all. This book was published over two years ago. There should at least be a page with the author talking about the next book or when its expected for him to publish it. I don't like the book enough to wait around for book two, especially since I could be waiting for indefinit ...more
Kelsha
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book forever to get into, many chapters, and I almost put it down multiple times. The author spends too much time telling us about the story and too little time telling us a story. Once he got into the story it was alright. Characters started talking more, felt a little more rounded, and by the end I had some connection and investment in what happened, but it took a long time.
Sylvia Rangel
Too many back stories

I like characters that are fleshed out as well as the next reader, but there were just too many back stories and not enough story. It is like the author slapped his character diagrams into a book and sewed them together a little and called it good. Things finally start happening then the book ends with an epilogue of yet another character.

Tanya
Jul 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
I guess I am doomed to spend a life time wishing for books to be rated! Yet another book that I could neither finish nor enjoy because the author chose to be descriptive with sex and violence. Shameful!
Marteen Ayala
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Very hard to follow, plus it was boring!
Yesenia Serrano
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh, is entertaining but not original
Tyler Nichols
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Really slow start, but started to get interesting toward the end.
Kevin Neff
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good beginning. Can't wait for the next book.
Liz
May 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Just couldn't get into it. Although I do like the possible symbolism of the 16 stones, and the supposed savior.
Michael L.
May 18, 2020 marked it as never-finished
This book didn’t hold my interest.
Love of Hopeless Causes
Book Party Fouls: immortality, repetition, failure to submerge the I, unrealistic character choices.
Beth
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Three males, each without a lineage. Each potentially the one destined to fulfill a prophecy, none knowing the part they may yet play. In this book - the first in a series - we learn about each of them and what drives them forward towards a destiny that may not necessarily be the one they believe.

First - this is a LONG book. A door-stopper. Should you choose to read it, you might want to go for an e-book, if you read them.

As for the book itself, I almost stopped reading by page 11. At that point
Tim DeGraaff
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good fantasy book. Has a lot of moving parts that start to slowly come together, but definitely needs more in the second book. Some characters are relatable, others not so much at this point.

• Healing Hearts (Savage Wells, #2)
  • The Power of Stillness: Mindful Living for Latter-day Saints
  • The Heavens Are Open
  • A Monster Like Me
  • True Heroes: A Treasury of Modern-day Fairy Tales Written by Best-Selling Authors
  • Tragedy or Destiny
  • A Case for the Book of Mormon
  • Junkyard Cats
  • Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker
  • Code Name: Lise: The True Story of the Woman Who Became WWII's Most Highly Decorated Spy
  • Flights of Fancy (American Heiresses, #1)
  • Lies Jane Austen Told Me
  • Trickster's Choice (Daughter of the Lioness, #1)
  • I Am Caring: A Little Book about Jane Goodall
  • I Am Marie Curie
  • Ashes on the Moor
  • The Bracelet (The Bracelet Series, #1)
  • Who Was Laura Ingalls Wilder?
Kieth Merrill is an American filmmaker. He won an Oscar for his documentary "The Great American Cowboy" (1973). He has also made feature films for the LDS chuch, including "Legacy" (1990) and "The Testaments: Of One Fold and One Shepherd" (2000).

"The Evolution of Thomas Hall" is his debut novel.