Start by marking “The Hunter (The Forbidden Game, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hunter (The Forbidden Game, #1)

The Hunter

(The Forbidden Game #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  5,666 ratings  ·  372 reviews
When Jenny Thorton and her friends open the mysterious white box given to her by Julian, they discover a mysterious game and enter a house of horrors full of their worst nightmares.
Published May 19th 1995 by Scholastic (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunter

really liked it 4.00  ·

Emily May
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, pnr, fantasy
Julian is one of the sexiest characters in the whole of literature, seriously. Even if the story hadn't been a wonderful and gripping adventure with an array of colourful and interesting characters, it would still have been worth the read for Julian. But that aside, the book was wonderful, as soon as I finished it I instantly picked up the sequal. What a great and original story, a bit scary in parts but always entertaining - I couldn't put it down.
Kayla
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alltimefavs, i-own
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Ahhh I'm sad. The idea of this book is SO GOOD, and to be honest with you, I probably would have loved this as a teen. So, take this review with a grain of salt! The story probably works for the intended audience, which I am not. I'm also going to be a bit lenient because the book came out a long time ago and feels a bit dated (not in a bad way - but it was a different era for YA literature).

Listen. Anything with a villain love interest will catch my attention. But when a boy pops out of now her
The Dark Krystal
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Becky, Vanessa, Dawn, Jenn
Shelves: more-than-once
To anyone who has ever loved Labyrinth, you would think this novel somehow tells the history of The Goblin King. Well, there is no actual tie-in to Labyrinth except the one I make in my mind.

Jenny only wanted to get a game for her boyfriend's party she was throwing that night. She ducks into a store in the sketchy side of town and impulsively buys a plain white glossy box--without knowing what's in it--from a handsome man in the store. Boyfriend who?

She gets home and realizes how stupid her deci
notyourmonkey
Emm - Stories for Ghouls
The perfect nightmare. The Forbidden Game is truly one-of-a-kind for its genre. I have an ambivalence leaning towards dislike of paranormal romance, but this promised something new, and I'm glad I gave it a chance.

The 'romance' is more of a one-sided obsession, which Julian, an inhumanly beautiful crafter of nightmares has with the heroine, who has to outwit him to escape when he traps her and her friends in a labyrinth of their own fears.
It is a fittingly nightmarish and creepy story, and I've
Jenny gets more than she bargained for when she buys a mysterious game from a strange story that she stumbled into one day. She and her friends get sucked into a strange house and are forced to face their nightmares. They must face their fears and reach the top floor in order to win. The house is controlled by Julian, a Shadow Man, who claims to be in love with Jenny. If she and her friends lose the game, Jenny must stay with him in the Shadow Realm forever. Dun, dun, Duuuuunnnnn!

I enjoyed this
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
16-year-old Jenny is just looking for a party game when she comes across a strange store, and a gorgeous boy who wants to sell her exactly what she wants.
What is the game that Julian sells her? And will Jenny and her friends make it to the end alive?

I haven’t read this book for years, but thankfully it was as good as I remembered.

I liked Jenny although she did irritate me a bit at times. As fearless as she was in some respects, she was a bit of a pushover when
Carla
Nov 21, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LJ Smith fans, horror fans, teen fiction readers, faery tale lovers
What teenager hasn't dreamt of being taken away by David Bowie? Not too shabby, I say. Even if he is a demony creature from Beyond!
It's pulp. Pseudo Sexual horror romance for teens. I was compelled to finish the series by my libido, plus the spooky bits aren't bad at all.
First book I read as a kid that had words I didn't recognize, too, like laconic.
The description of the things the kids are afraid of, sticks with me the most--especially the one of the Black Forrest. Fairly creepy.
Ezgi Tülü
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
“He was evil. Cruel, capricious, and dangerous as a cobra. A prince of darkness.
Completely evil—and completely in love with her.”

Tinae Goodell
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book from the beginnig I couldn't put it down! Just loved it and it was suspenseful the whole time. I just have to keep reading the series. I am hooked. This is my favorite of L.J. Smith's thus far. I want to see it put in a movie. It would be an awesome movie!
Megan
Book 1 of 3. The Forbidden Game trilogy. Very good. Middle school level reading. However, has many classic themes that all ages will enjoy. Find, read, and re-read! (put on keeper shelf!)

The first book in the trilogy which introduces Jenny and group (her boyfriend Tom, her cousin Zach, her friends Audrey, Michael, (who are dating each other) and Dee) to the Shadow Man- Julian who has fallen in love with Jenny and won’t rest until she is his. Jenny buys The Game from Julian (unbeknownst to her at
Yasi
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
well,I liked it; my friend recomended this book in school to me & I barrowed it from school library.
I Liked it, but such as other books , as vampire dieries, the main charectors were very pretty &... you know... the cover were'nt good & the translate was awfull;
IT wasnt very huge,U know! It wasnt wow! it was just pretty. nice. good. not well;
& just this
happy yalda

خب دوستم اینو تو مدرسه بهم معرفی کرد و طبق معمول عاشق شخصیت منفی و اصلی داستان شده بود. و گذاشت که بجای اینکه برای 80
Ylenia
May 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Avevo comprato questo libro a gennaio e non l'avevo ancora toccato quindi mi sembrava doveroso smaltirlo, arrivata a maggio inoltrato.
Non ho un'alta opinione dell'autrice; ho letto Vampire Diaries sino all'ottavo volume a quanto ricordo (o qualcosa di simile) e mi sono volutamente spoiilerata i rimanenti libri per concludere la serie.

La Casa degli Orrori ha lo stesso stile dei libri del Diario del Vampiro: la narrazione è banale, i personaggi, anche quelli principali, sono poco caratterizzati e
Abbie
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
It's been 5 years since i read this series, and i still love it!

Some of the nightmares were really creepy. I would have had nightmares for life if i took part in them!

The characters were really good. Jenny was really brave and clever. There is no way that i would be able to work that riddle out so quickly!

Julian was creepy and very sneaky, but i couldn't help but love him.
I'd lose a good hour in the games if Julian appeared - I wouldn't be able to stop staring at his blue eyes!

I'm really lo
Rachel E. Carter
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-paperback
Early 90's vibe in the writing, but it doesn't matter because the plot is so fun. This would make a great movie -a house full of nightmares with a hot seductive guy trying to seduce the protagonist. This book is what started my love of all misunderstood bad guys -and I still love it years later!!! Think of it as Hades & Persephone meets Labyrinth, only muchhhh better!
Tatiana
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Мне понравилась эта история. Простенько, но очень увлекательно!! Буду читать дальше :)
Vanessa
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Megan
This was an okay book, probably something I would've enjoyed more when I was younger. Most of the nightmares weren't that scary and the ending seemed too easy. That being said I still want to continue with the series to know what happens next.
Keertana
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it would be an understatement to say that I am impressed by L.J. Smith. Smith's name is one that is familiar to nearly everyone, if not for anything else then for her widely popular Vampire Diaries Series. I was more than a little nervous going into The Forbidden Game though, merely because I wanted to like her just as much as everyone else did. I wanted to fall in love with her characters and her world and I can assure you, there are very few authors who I really want to love. I a ...more
Sakura Koneko
Aug 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes the supernatural
Shelves: favorites
Having gained an interest in L.J. Smith as an author after reading the Vampire Diaries series, I decided to pick up this series of books (it also helped that there was a complete hottie on the cover... come on, I was 13 at the time).

I was thrilled through the entire book by the actions of the antagonist Julian as he tried to woo Jenny in the most outrageous ways possible. While it did seem wrong of him to put her friends in danger in the process, it was still very exciting.
Bibek Thapa
I didn't like The Vampire Diaries that much. After reading the first four books in the series, I kinda gave up on the author. Good thing I decided to change that and read this book. The Hunter is a really good book filled with suspense, paranormal beings and race-against-time action. I really enjoyed it. So glad to have started my New Year with a wonderful book. :)
Eryn
2.75 stars.

Good story. Average writing.
Rae Lake
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mmc-18
María
Una historia que mezcla un juego tipo Jumanji con leyendas y folclore de distintos lugares (esas que hablan de seres inmortales que secuestran jovencitas y se las llevan al Inframundo).
En efecto, eso es lo que le puede pasar a Jenny si no logra atravesar junto a sus amigos las pesadillas que cada uno tiene. La historia es atrapante pero no es mi género favorito, siempre voy a preferir un romance. El problema con este y otros libros de la autora es el final abrupto. Siempre da la sensación de que
Nena
Nov 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Non sapevo bene cosa aspettarmi da questo libro, l'ho iniziato a leggere più che altro perchè ormai era da troppo tempo che prendeva polvere sulla mia libreria; ed è stata una piacevole sorpresa.

Tutto inizia con l'organizzazione di un innocente festa di compleanno da parte di Jenny ( la protagonista ) per il suo ragazzo storico Tom. Così Jenny s'imbatte in un inquietante negozio di giochi in un quartiere malfamato della sua città, dove un ancora più inquietante ragazzo dagli occhi blu le vende u
Manna
Took me ages to get my hand on this one. For some reason I stuck at the first few chapters for a while. But once the game began, whoosh....

I love the building of suspense. It was like watching a thriller movie. All the sequence building up before the game starts. The footsteps, the reading, those 'off' feelings radiated from the Game sent me on edge. It was nice seeing Jenny, a delicate, kind-heart girl fighting with her friends. Facing fears, and at the same time trying to resist Julian...

Juli
Chrissie
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-retro-horror
Jenny buys a game for her boyfriend's birthday party, and she, along with everyone there, ends up transported into another dimension. She meets The Shadowman, AKA, Julian, who claims to be in love with her. The rules are simple: play the game, win, and get home. Or, play the game, lose, and Jenny has to stay with Julian, forever.

I didn't know what to expect out of "The Game," but it ended up being very entertaining. Everyone had to face their deepest fears and not everyone gets out alive.

My on
Alexandra
The premise for this story is really interesting. The execution of it however I found very bland. This left me very underwhelmed.

The villain isn't sexy or attractive, in my opinion. Just another, sadly typical, jerk who confuses desire to possess and control with "love".

The other characters seemed fairly flat and one dimensional to me. The story should have been suspenseful and even perhaps scary, but really wasn't. The situation certainly is one that should be suspenseful and scary, but the wri
  • The Dance (Final Friends, #2)
  • The Mall
  • Crimson Night (Crimson #2)
  • The Yearbook
  • The Mummy
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th

The Forbidden Game (3 books)
  • The Chase (The Forbidden Game, #2)
  • The Kill (The Forbidden Game, #3)
“I fell in love with you. I didn't do it on purpose” 494 likes
“I have never been in love before," Julian said. "You're my first-and you'll be my only.” 237 likes