Start by marking “The Map of Chaos” as Want to Read:
The Map of Chaos

The Map of Chaos

(Trilogía Victoriana #3)

From the New York Times bestselling author of The Map of Time and The Map of the Sky, the final installment in the award-winning trilogy that The Washington Post called “a big, genre-bending delight.”

When the person he loves most dies in tragic circumstances, the mysterious protagonist of The Map of Chaos does all he can to speak to her one last time. A session with a renowned mediu
Published June 30th 2015 by Atria Books (first published June 10th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Map of Chaos, please sign up.
Kathleen It's scheduled to be released June 30th. I'm very excited!

Start your review of The Map of Chaos
Mikey
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!!
Recommended to Mikey by: Came across it by accident.
This trilogy is one of the top-5 books I have ever read in my entire life: it is one of the most unique, original, beautifully-written, lovely, and brilliant novels that has some of the most exciting multi-dimensional characters and original story-lines that I have ever journeyed through. "The Map of Time" uses the brilliance of H.G. Wells' "The Time Machine" as an important contribution to Palma's universe; "The Map of the Sky" uses Wells' "War of the Worlds" to influence the story-line; and "T ...more
Christine
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, sf-fantasy
Chaos is inevitable- and absolutely brilliant. I cannot think of books I enjoyed more and Palma's Victorian trilogy will forever have a revered spot on my shelf. Naturally, as with most series, I worried that each new book would suffer in comparison to the one before but here this was simply not the case. Now that it has concluded in a spectacular fashion I can more ardently harass my friends who have not yet discovered it to begin reading.

While for me Map of Time started like a shot, this one
Chantaal
I really love this series, so it pains me to give the finale three stars. Unfortunately, while it still had its enjoyable elements, I found it had too much of everything in an attempt to tie together the first two books in an overarching plot that makes sense.

I guess technically all the plot threads are tied together, but in a wholly unsatisfying way. And there was so much in the second act that could have been cut out entirely. How many versions of H.G. Wells character building do we need?

One goo
Scribe Publications
Inventive fun
Yvonne Zipp, The Washington Post

The unreal becomes real, fantasy becomes history, and the reader is thoroughly entertained by an unending parade of bafflements and surprises. This book is a complete delight.
K.W. Jeter, Author of Infernal Devices

Palma’s yarn is altogether a satisfying, thoroughly entertaining creature feature.
Kirkus

Map of Chaos is a vividly drawn odyssey spanning time and space that calls on three of the literary greats of the past century to answer the fundamental question of our place in the universe/>/>Palma’s/>K.W./>The/>Yvonne
nineveh_rains
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this entire trilogy. The story is fantastic and the translation by Nick Caistor is laudable. My only complaint is that this volume seems to contain a noticeable amount of grammatical and spelling errors, whereas I did not find this to be the case with the first two volumes of this trilogy. I can't wait to read what Félix J. Palma writes next!
Fred Hughes
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A brilliant conclusion to the trilogy that started with the Map of Time. A rousing af=-deventure and fantasy that will blow you away .

Characters are well developed and relatable. The story arcs all mesh seamlessly.

Seriously entertaining. Author and series highly recommended
John Sloan
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I very successful return to Palma's Trilogy. Although i greatly enjoyed the return to this world and the characters, i did feel this was the weakest of the trilogy. In order to tie up all the loose ends of the books he made the story-line a little overly complex. Wells is not the most likable character and having the multiple Wellses from different universes made it harder to like him. The romance of this book however did touch me deeply, and managed to be both tragic and have a happy ending. Th ...more
Jen
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was not motivated to pick this up and continue the story. I got through it but it was more of a plod than a pleasure. I feel like he took several major ideas and themes - steampunk! favorite authors! historical fiction! time travel! multiple worlds! mediums!, mixed them up in a blender, threw the result onto a page and called it done. It was satisfying to get to the end but there was a smug "see what I did there, look at how clever I am!" undertone to the whole thing. Despite me liking all of ...more
Lizett
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully tangled ending to a trilogy that started out a bit weak. "The Map of Time" disappointed me the first time I read it, then became more interesting after its ideas were expanded in "The Map of the Sky." "The Map of Chaos" brings many of the loose story threads full circle and ties it all together in a way that I never expected. I will definitely be rereading these in the future.
Shall I Download A Black Hole And Offer It To You
waaaaay too much going on, and hard to make the connections... i tire of authors using historical authors to act in their novels... i expected a better finish to this trilogy and was disappointed, the first two books were fantastic and fun... this book was pnderous and meandering and seemed to simply 'finish the trilogy' for the publishers...
nikkia neil
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Never has there been novels like those of Palma. Unique, weird, and shameless. Its like falling down the rabbit whole and swirling around.
Erin
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: victorian
I have been reading this book for over a year. The reasons are silly, but the take away is that this isn't a book to start and stop. Almost every time I put it down for a couple of months, I would have to restart the whole thing over. Probably due to the structure of the series, I would get the characters and the plot a little muddled in my head. This final chapter in the HG Wells saga ends with riffs on the Invisible Man and ties into all the books. I wish I had re-read the others before starti ...more
Amelia Owen
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
As with most trilogies, this is the weakest book in the series. You could technically get away without reading this book if you wanted, as each book in the series is pretty self contained. You won't understand fully and get the inside jokes in this one without having read the previous ones though (same with the second book). This was still a fun book to read though, and was enjoyable.
Cheryl
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
You really have to imagine yourself as listening to a storyteller when you read this book. That way you don't obsess about scientific details or perfect plot consistency. Let yourself be surprised, amazed, and simply entertained. I had a good time.
Deb
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I hated to finish this book! The Trilogy is awesome! If you decide to read, you need to start with the first one - The Map Of Time, then The Map of the Sky. They will really take you out of this world!
Mr. Dietz
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This finale went to some CRAZY places. A little too crazy and exposition-heavy for my taste. But as the final themes of the series emerge, I found it hard not to get sentimental. It's a great read for book nerds or anyone who especially loves HG Wells.
Brenda
I really enjoyed this trilogy. Very inventive fantasy/sci fi based loosely on the books and times of HG Wells, with Dodgson and Doyle showing up! Well researched. Fun to read. I do hope de Palma starts another series like this...
Shuai Shao
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rebalioness
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I gave up. By the time I was three-quarters of the way through the book and all the backsteps and meandering, I didn't care who came thru it.
Jean
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This trilogy is a little bit long winded, but it's easy to get lost in it.
Stephen Dube
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very busy book! But excellent. Always a fan of a good time travel or parallel universe story... the one is excellent!
Katherine
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Each book is a trilogy into itself yet the final book brings all the elements introduced in the first book to a startling conclusion. Absolutly brilliant and well worth the wait to complete.
Jessica
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perfect book to read, maybe should of read the other ones before this one.
Larry
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good conclusion to the trilogy - it really was chaos at the end. I still think that the first book was the best.
Gregory
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Great conclusion to a great story.
Wendy
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very time-twisty and mind-bendy. This brought a lot of the characters from older books back, which was confusing because of my memory issues. But I figured it out and had fun.
Cari Keck
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
It got a lot more exciting in the end but it was a hard book to get through.
Bruce
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The only thing I disliked is the ending--the goal of the whole book was sort of a MacGuffin.
Kelly
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Parts were good but it felt like the author was just cramming in stuff that didn't fit in the other two.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Palma's plot has the complex alternate(multi)verse.
At the same time, Palma incorporates works from: H.G. Wells and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
There are also snippets of: Doctor Who and the Terminator.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The author 1 5 Dec 15, 2015 03:33AM

• The Businessman
  • Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual
  • Hard to Love: Understanding and Overcoming Male Borderline Personality Disorder
  • The Drafter (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #1)
  • The Big Keep (Lena Dane Mysteries #1)
  • The Operator (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #2)
  • Vagina: A New Biography
  • Katya's World (Russalka Chronicles, #1)
  • Eastern Standard Tribe
  • City of the Iron Fish
  • Reigning Cats and Dogs
  • A Stainless Steel Rat is Born (Stainless Steel Rat, #1)
  • The Dream Stealer
  • The Grand Ellipse
  • The Drowned Life
  • Castleview
  • Reticence (Custard Protocol, #4)
  • Grailblazers
Félix Jesús Palma Macías, was born in Sanlúcar de Barrameda, Spain on June 16, 1968. He attended Francisco Pacheco High School and studied Publicity at the University at Sevilla.

His first volume of stories, El Vigilante de la Salamandra (The Lizard's Keeper) showed his ability to introduce fantasy into the every day. He is also author of the storybooks: Métodos de Supervivencia (Method

Trilogía Victoriana (3 books)
  • The Map of Time
  • The Map of the Sky
“Tal vez la existencia no sea más que un eterno y cíclico plagio de sí misma.” 1 likes
“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.” 0 likes