Start by marking “Season of Salt and Honey” as Want to Read:
Season of Salt and Honey

Season of Salt and Honey

A NOVEL OF LOVE, GRIEF AND ANTIPASTI.

Francesca 'Frankie' Caputo has it all figured out. She's finally going to marry the man she loves and then they will live happily ever after. But when a freak accident cuts her fiancé Alex's life tragically short, all of Frankie's future plans suddenly disintegrate.

Drowning in grief, Frankie flees from her overbearing Italian-American f
Published September 1st 2015 by Touchstone (first published April 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Season of Salt and Honey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Season of Salt and Honey

Dale Harcombe
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts at a funeral with Francesca (mostly known as Frankie) struggling to deal with the death of her fiancé Alex and the, at times, overpowering ministrations of her Italian-American family. She flees to an abandoned cabin owned by Alex’s family. There she meets the bubbly Merriem, Jack the cottage caretaker and his charming, effervescent daughter Huia.
But it is not quite freedom in the cottage for her sister Bella with whom she shares a relationship fraught with anger and resentment
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Season of Salt and Honey is a bittersweet story of grief, love, family and food from forkandfiction.com blogger and author, Hannah Tunnicliffe.

Overwhelmed by grief after the death of her fiance, Francesca Caputo flees the sympathies of her well meaning family, seeking refuge in an abandoned cabin owned by Alex's parents in a forested area of Washington. All Frankie wants is time alone to mourn the loss of forever, but her solitude is repeatedly interrupted, forcing her to reassess everything she
Paula Sealey
When Frankie's fiancee Alex dies in a tragic accident, she is overcome with grief and can not bear a return to the apartment they shared, or to the coddling of her close Italian family. Instead, she flees to a tiny cabin owned by Alex's parents in a remote part of a forest. She has no idea how long she intends to stay, but just wants to be alone. Her family though have other ideas, and soon they begin to pitch up to check on her, including estranged sister Bella, the family mischief maker. As Fr ...more
Мариша
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Тъжна, но и щастлива книга, силна, освобождаваща ... - четеш, потапяш се в меланхолията на романа, в истиността на делника, в неговата атмосфера дори, мислиш за някои истини мимоходом, докато си припомниш усещането от хиляди стари твои болки, плачеш, и някак ненатрапено се докосващ до някаква мъдрост - не логична, или опитна, или житейска... а една чиста мъдрост на сърцето. И се успокояваш заедно с яснотата на развръзката...
Infinite Scythe
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5
Cassi
Jan 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
The recipes were fun and I'd like to try them sometime. I couldn't seem to get into the rest of it, though. Would probably be a good beach read if I had the day to myself.
Linda Kissam
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: romance readers, cookbook enthusiastics
Recommended to Linda by: Simon and Schuster
The newest book by author Hannah Tunnicliffe is going to tug at your heartstrings and your stomach – quite literally. Part novel, part cookbook, this is a good example of how a book can crossover into several genres. I’ve been noticing this trend for a season or two now. I like the result. Why can’t an author spin their tale and weave in some good recipes at the same time to pepper the plot? Done right, this sort of storytelling is engaging, unexpected and charming. It is not quite near enough t ...more
Cheryl
Aug 31, 2015 rated it liked it
I found this book to be sweet and charming. I was breezing through this book with quick speed. Frankie is a nice woman. Although even with all of the back and forth flashbacks to the past with her and Alex, I never really felt the love between them. In fact, I grew tried after a while of the flash backs with them together. The only good thing was that I good to see who Frankie was as a person and how she had matured in the present. Frankie's sister, Bella was cool. I liked Alex's brother, David. ...more
Guida Brown
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
The storyline is good: Frankie needs a break from the world after Alex, her fiancé, dies, so she takes off to his family cabin. Since she's from an Italian family, though, she doesn't get much alone time. Good so far.

The execution of the story, though, is awful. Author Hannah Tunnicliffe "is a self-confessed nomad," and this book shows it. It's set in the USA's Pacific Northwest, written from the first-generation American Frankie's perspective, but the language is a mess. We don't use "meters";
Maxime
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
A tale of love loss friendships i really enjoyed this book and i recommend p.s if you love your food as much as reading you will love the recipes that are tied into t
Harvee
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
An excellent novel of loss and family ties, truth and its consequences. A lovely novel revealing family and love relationships and their sometimes complex qualities.

My full review: http://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/20...
Faye
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this book it had a good story line but a peacefulness about it even though the events were sad. I loved the recipes throughout the book. Look forward to Hannah Tunnicliffe writing a third book.
ansel
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley-read
Hannah Tunnicliffe has written another wonderful heartfelt story about a woman named Frankie, her Italian family, and her relationship with Alex which is deeply touching. My heart went out to Frankie as she deals with her grief, and as I read this beautiful story I experienced overwhelming emotions from sadness to laughter and everything in between.

Not only does Hannah write stories with heart but she also takes you to another place with such detailed pictures that it is like you are actually t
Stephanie
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have finished another wonderful read by Hannah Tunnicliffe.

'Season of Salt & Honey' is her second novel - Her first The Colour of Tea.

'Season of Salt & Honey' is a novel of of love, grief & antipasti. Francesca 'Frankie' Caputo has it all figured out. She's finally going to marry the man she loves and then they will live happily ever after. But when a freak accident cuts her fiance Alex's life tragically short, all of Frankies future plans suddenly disintegrate.

Drowning in grief,
Domic
Hach. Hat mir sehr gut gefallen! Von der gleichen Autorin habe ich ja bereits "Der Duft von Tee" gelesen, das fand ich auch schon gut. Und dann hat Frau "Bücher in meiner Hand" das Buch noch empfohlen, da musste es doch ganz nach vorne auf meiner Leseliste.

Okay, ein kleines bissle nervt dieses Herumreiten auf der italienischen Herkunft der Protagonistin Das scheint aber was typisch italo-amerikanisches zu sein, das hat mich auch bei den Büchern von Adriana Trigiani, die ich ansonsten sehr mag, i
Janka H.
Men come and go, but sisters are forever. Or not?

Frankie Caputo's fiance is dead. Torn, she runs off into a forest cabin just to be alone.
But world follows - some genuinely care about her, some are neighbours, some might not be welcome here. Like Bella, her difficult sister. The bad girl, the one who might show her that she was not living the perfect life.

My problem with this book is that I can not relate to the heroine. Frankie is selfish and immature, the world is supposed to turn around her.
Jill
I enjoyed 'Season of Salt and Honey', Hannah Tunnicliffe's novel exploring grief, loss, and love and the power of family and friends. Told simply without any sense of manipulation or tear-jerking false drama the story unfolded slowly and gently. We learn of Francesca's loss and her attempts to come to terms with it, with flashbacks revealing more about her relationship. Family members try to help (sometimes with hilarious results) and we meet new friends as she establishes herself in a cabin in ...more
Gayle Cappelluti
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Grief and despair, love and loss, family and friends, betrayal and a sprinkling of Sicilian recipes all combined in a novel about Francesca, thrown into a complete tizzy following the tragic death of her fiance in a surfing accident. How can she make sense of his loss and life without him? How can she find comfort in her over-bearing family and the long lost treacherous sister she is sure has abandoned and deceived her? Can she come to terms with the almost in-laws who never liked or accepted he ...more
Corinne Johnston
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable read, though I admit a little disappointment when I first realised it was set in America. I'm looking forward to this great author setting a book in her homeland NZ. The linking of food and fiction is done better here than in many other attempts I've read, maybe because of the Italian, Sicilian links...the food has meaning in itself, so when combined with fiction the meanings strengthen.
Jan
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
too much honey and not enough salt in this story. The author is from New Zealand and is writing about Americans in Seattle, but they do not use the words "petrol" and "mate" in Seattle (or any of the US, as far as I know). I read it because I so enjoyed her book "A French Wedding". While I would recommend "Wedding", I would not recommend this one unless you like your stories really sweet.
Bailey Malbuff
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2018
A good light read. Nothing spectacular about it, nothing terrible about it. A very quick read (read in just a few days), and captivating enough to keep turning the pages. However, the story was not overly complicated, or imaginative. I did like the combo of food and nature, two things I love, but other than that, it was just okay.
Kathleen Basi
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the story of a woman who lost her fiance and runs away to the woods to try to avoid dealing with it. It is beautifully complex in terms of the interpersonal dynamics. It takes a while to realize her blissful life might not have been as flawless as her internal narrative makes it out to be. The process of self-discovery is difficult, yet beautiful.
Loretta
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I still liked it even though it needed a finer-toothed comb during the editing process to remove all of the Brit-isms that made it through...petrol, meters, mate (instead of friend), etc. Those were just a minor annoyance, but did make the setting feel less authentic.
Sherry
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was fine. Someone handed it to me and said something like, "You like to read. Here is a book." Not the type I would normally pick up but I felt pressured to read it. It was ok. Would make a decent holiday read.
Kathleen McRae
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: novel
This was an enjoyable and easy read with pretty good storyline that I thought was very good at pointing out the stages of grief and the family and friends that get us through this very difficult time in life.
Dawn
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story of a young woman finding herself after the death of her fiance was a surprisingly upbeat read. full if food, family and new friendship, it is a story of hope and renewal. Visual descriptiveness and recipes were a bonus.
Linden
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reading this book made me want to cook more, or maybe just wish I had some Italian in my heritage. A lovely study of grief and nature and family. Coincidentally, I listened to an interview with Amy Florian, who speaks and writes about the grieving process, while reading this book. This added a great deal of color and nuance to the reading experience.
Ivz Andonova
Непретенциозен роман, който може да прочетете ако ви се чете нещо лековато. Не е лош.
Alyssa Van
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this one, but I just couldn't. The characters fell flat. Particularly Frankie. 2.5 stars rounded up to 3.
Lori
  • Leap of Faith
  • Close to Home
  • Precious Things
  • Dogs of India
  • A Time to Remember (Rivenshaw, #1)
  • Breaking The Drought
  • Storm Clouds (Goodabri #2)
  • Heartland
  • Her Mistletoe Cowboy (The Wildflower Ranch #2; A Marietta Christmas #3)
  • The Enchanted Island
  • Mercy Street
  • Outback Sisters (Bunyip Bay, #4)
  • Wild Chicory
Hannah Tunnicliffe was born in New Zeland but is a self-confessed nomad. After finishing a degree in social sciences, she lived in Australia, England, Macau, Canada and, memorably, a campervan named Fred. A career in human resources temporarily put her dream of becoming a writer on the backburner. She currently lives in Sydney, Australia with her husband, Matthew, and their two daughters. The Colo ...more
“To me, the forest is simply green and vast, but Huia knows exactly what she's looking for and points things out from a distance. But slowly I learn. I distinguish devil's club and stinging nettles and salmonberry. I spot the hummingbirds that dart and quiver around pink flowers. I spy a patch of fiddleheads and start plucking before Huia warns me to take only a few so the plant can keep growing for next season. I am the student.
The fiddleheads are aptly named, shaped just like the top of a violin, and soon Huia declares her basket "full enough" of them. We dawdle through the forest, aimlessly it seems to me, though she appears to know exactly where she is, pausing every now and then to watch birds and pick flowers. We sit on a log that's sprouting soft, hopeful ferns, a "nurse log," Huia calls it, and I show her how to make a crown of daisies. She gets me to make the slits in the stems with my nails and then weaves one for me too.”
0 likes
“Growing up in an Italian home I wasn't often hungry. Perhaps Italians know that hunger feels too much like sadness. They know that to love someone, to make them happy, means ensuring they are fed. Alex used to groan about how much food got eaten at our family dinners. He got heartburn from the thick, fatty salami and soft, warm polpette. He didn't understand our fawning over Nonna's secret pasta al forno recipe, stuffed with meatballs, cheese, pasta, and eggs. He couldn't believe we ate octopus and rabbit and, sometimes, mainly the older family members, pigs' feet. We fed him full of artichokes, macaroni, caponata made with capsicums and cauliflower and tomatoes while the cousins talked of breakfasts in Sicily- chocolate granita or gelato stuffed into brioche rolls.” 0 likes